Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Art (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   How important do you think Art is? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99949)

Honza 17-04-2016 10:03 AM

How important do you think Art is?

Is Art really important or not so much? I get the feeling that Art scares some types of people a great deal. They just don't seem to 'get it' and so it kind of unsettles them. When a country or civilisation starts to crumble and fall it is often Art which suffers first. It starts to be censored and discouraged and manipulated.

Why do some people like powerful leaders fear Art and artists?

Personally I think Art is very important. How do you feel about it?

H:O:R:A:C:E 17-04-2016 10:16 AM

Art has the capability of cutting through artifice and artificial constructs.
Imposed orderliness can feel threatened (i assume) through free expression.
Some "art" can be truly disgusting (in my experience), like a cacophony of
discordant tones amounting to a "clinking clanking clattering collection of caliginous junk".

i like art.

grannymary 17-04-2016 12:39 PM

Art, creative expression, invention and such imo is very very important. It turns out a lot of things Horace. Coarse things often but fine art is the most delightful.

I am don't get to travel, am working a lot so art that just so happens to be where I am really attracts my eye and ears. Paintings on walls at the lovely homes, and hospitals, in stores ect. and sculptures, and buildings and bridges just really are interesting and enjoyable. Dance and movement. Music. Speaking, films.

These things indicate freedom to enjoy depth of mind and emotion. I one heard a man use the word "power" in connection with art. I wondered what he meant by it at the time but I think that this might be true since advertisers use it so much to hook us to a product or service.

Do you create any artwork? Invent? What's your medium? How does it make your life better?

Delsol 17-04-2016 08:27 PM

I feel that creativity is akin to divinity, because when we create we recognize our own God-like nature. We are more in tune with Spirit through art. Art is an expression of soul. Beauty, be it in nature or something man made is like God winking at us; daring us to remember who we are.

:hug3:

Light Seeker 17-04-2016 08:34 PM

Ahh now then.. and further... indeed.... Consider this . If a thing be Aesthetically pleasing to ones senses.... As Art in most of it's forms is..

Does it have a place and a purpose and a Use.... By the By ... them thar "Adult" Colouring Books have gone right mad just recent.... Imagine that ... Mindfulness through Art.... Who'd have thought it eh ?

Somnia 17-04-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delsol
I feel that creativity is akin to divinity, because when we create we recognize our own God-like nature. We are more in tune with Spirit through art. Art is an expression of soul...

Very well said and couldn't agree with you more...

:smile:

jimrich 17-04-2016 11:06 PM

Our art

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
Is Art really important or not so much? I get the feeling that Art scares some types of people a great deal. They just don't seem to 'get it' and so it kind of unsettles them. When a country or civilisation starts to crumble and fall it is often Art which suffers first. It starts to be censored and discouraged and manipulated. Why do some people like powerful leaders fear Art and artists? Personally I think Art is very important. How do you feel about it?

My wife is a visual artist: abstract and realistic while I am in jazz music. We have noticed that abstract art and modern jazz upsets most folks because normal pretty art and pretty music is SIMPLER and less stressful to their mind! They feel hurt and put down when they can't figure out something that is abstract! What's funny is that abstract art/music does not need to be figured out. It can be whatever a person sees in it or wants it to be. But that might require effort, imagination and involvement with the piece and most folks just can't be bothered! :rolleyes:

Squatchit 19-04-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimrich
My wife is a visual artist: abstract and realistic while I am in jazz music. We have noticed that abstract art and modern jazz upsets most folks because normal pretty art and pretty music is SIMPLER and less stressful to their mind! They feel hurt and put down when they can't figure out something that is abstract! What's funny is that abstract art/music does not need to be figured out. It can be whatever a person sees in it or wants it to be. But that might require effort, imagination and involvement with the piece and most folks just can't be bothered! :rolleyes:

Agreed. I love abstract art, but I can't get on with modern jazz. :tongue:

joehall 19-04-2016 04:15 PM

Art is a very important part of my emotional well-being.

I consider multiple disciplines—visual arts, music, performing arts, various disciplines of design—to be art, and I have been a creator, a fundraiser, an expert, and a layperson of different kinds of art.

When a work is beautifully made and moves something inside you, it can impact your entire life. I have remembered specific scenes from movies; massive paintings that stopped me in my tracks; the most delicate movement of a ballerina's hand.

When I create something that I am truly proud of, it sticks with me. I can recall the emotions I felt when I was making it; the moment when things clicked and the piece felt complete; the sense of accomplishment when people felt moved or impressed by my work.

Enjoying art when you are fully present and appreciative is an emotional high, and I encourage everyone to at least try to pursue or appreciate one art form of their choice. When you get that moment, even if it only happens rarely, it's all worth it.

Light the Human 20-04-2016 07:22 PM

Art is important to me