Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Paganism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Jesus and Hera (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=122247)

davidmartin 26-04-2018 12:53 PM

Jesus and Hera

Just wondered what you made of this, an ancient Christian writer in the 4th century mentioned some pagan temples were evangelised by early Christians in the following manner

He said the temple of Hera received this greeting:
"Mistress Pege, the great Sun has sent me to make the announcement to you, and at the same time to serve you in your giving birth—as he produces blameless offspring with you, who are becoming mother of the first of all ranks of being, bride of the single divinity with three names. And the child born without seed is called the Beginning and the End: the beginning of salvation, and the end of destruction"

The temple recorded a debate:
"The females say to the males, disparaging the matter, Pege is she who was loved; for it was not Hera, was it? She espoused a carpenter.' And the males say, 'She has rightly been called Pege, we admit. But her name is Myria; for she bears in her womb, as in the sea, a vessel conveying a myriad. And if she is also Pege, let it be understood thus: This stream of water sends forth a perennial stream of spirit; it contains but a single fish, taken with the hook of divinity, and with its own flesh sustaining the whole world, while it dwells there as though in the sea. You have well said, "She has a carpenter"—but not a carpenter whom she bears from a marriage-bed. For this carpenter who is born, the child of the chief carpenter, framed by his most sagacious skill the triple-constructed celestial roof, and established by his word this dwelling with its triple habitations"

It could point to a more compatible earlier Christian ideal that hoped to sort of rededicate some of the temples to fit in Jesus with pagan thought rather than replace them which is what happened, sadly, and was different perhaps from what the first Christians intended.
It could lend support to those who are 'Christo-pagan' today I guess or just curious. I've never come anything else like this in my travels, it's pretty unique

Nowayout 27-04-2018 01:20 AM

I'm learning about Gnosticism by degree. There are these other Christain books with a history deemed a heresy by the papacy.. Lol.

I think Jesus was a pagan in the heart.:smile:

The early pagan temples were divine... simply understood by the hearts of the many.

But the political/social rank .. and order of Christianity set in thanks to the Emperor Agustine.. the saint? LOl.., there.. perhaps we have lost it.:D

Anyway, I have been learning about Gnosticism. I will get back.

Seems to cut into a pagan swath of deeper "natural" meaning.:wink:

Do you follow me...

Jesus was God in the flesh...

But not un-pagan.

The point is, love has no borders.

davidmartin 27-04-2018 10:16 AM

Thanks Noway,
I struggle with this as a Christian, feeling pressure from fundamentalist Christianity and Islam yet feeling much affinity for pagan ideas too. I try to find common ground but wonder if the effort is worth it and I can't see how the belief systems can co-exist without friction, or is the friction necessary?

I'm not Gnostic, cause I believe God created the material world and nature, animals, plants, etc. I love that stuff!

>>I think Jesus was a pagan in the heart.
Hmmm, I think only a pagan is permitted to say that!
He had the divine Spirit and if you identify that as the heart of your faith then it is the heart of all faiths

>Jesus was God in the flesh...
These days I'm thinking Jesus the man's soul was united to God's salvation at the beginning of time making it hard to tell the two apart when he came down. Looking at it from one angle he is God in the flesh, from another he is just a man who bore God's message of salvation.
Is a tricky one that.

Nowayout 29-04-2018 01:33 AM

I live, the rest will work it out.:hug:

My suffering needs nothing but that deeper understanding.

It's that deeper thing....

We have nature all around us.

Kindness and love. No man ( women) is an island.

Life is like a dream..... unfolding.:hug3:

I like Jesus, it's his words that grab me.

Beyond the grave, see you later, perhaps.

Maybe Jesus will be there to judge me... wish me well.

Jesus came back it is said, good for him.

I have not seen him, but I have had moments of the Holy Spirit filling me.

Like a radio receiver tuned into my heart?

But walking in the woods makes me feel connected too...

Jesus.

Melahin 26-06-2018 10:31 PM

Is Christianity not just a long line of Pagan rituals from Christmas to Easter?

magdna 26-08-2018 10:11 PM

As to the subject...

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=122982

In this that is your Forum home.