Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ayurveda (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   cooling foods ? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18475)

Adrienne 03-07-2011 08:08 AM

cooling foods ?

Tonight I was reading my oracle cards and they mentioned " cooling foods " in the Aruveda style. I have no clue what they were talking about.... anyone know ?

blessings,
Dream Angel xx

mattie 03-07-2011 08:24 AM

Ayurvedic Food Categories

Areuveda may be Ayurvedic, a protocol of diet health practices that has been practiced in SE Asia for 5000 years, which classifies us into body types that respond to different types of foods. The foods are also classified as to how they affect the body.

Much more info.-

http://www.google.com/search?client=... F-8&oe=UTF-8

Thinker108 05-07-2011 08:53 AM

according to Ayurveda everything we can eat, have some specific nature like
warm, cold and neutral
I will post for you a list of some foods and their nature

happy camper 11-07-2011 07:09 AM

If you have "too much heat " in your body,which could be caused by many things,you should cool it down.
I have quite nice book about ayurveda,but it's not here with me,so can't help too much with dietary recommendation,but you can also do moon pranayam.
Your left nostril is connected to the moon,(right to the sun) and if you breath in through your left nostril,it will cool you down.
For example,hold your right nostril closed,breath in through left on count to 4,hold 4,breath out 4,hold 4,breath in again trough left on count to 4....etc
maybe 10 times or as you like......:smile:

windwhistle 14-07-2011 05:20 AM

Cucumbers, watermelon, lettuce...cool delicious foods!

Wednesdaylotion 27-04-2012 11:55 AM

Sweet, bitter and astringent foods are considered cooling and slow down digestion, except honey which is heating. Milk is cooling and generally anything else that coats the inside of the mouth, although yoghurt should be fresh and diluted. Sunflower oil, wheat, apples, coconut, coriander/cilantro and fennel are all cooling. Avoid black pepper, turmeric, cardamon, ginger, clove, cumin, cinnamon and nutmeg, fish, sesame oil, onions, eggs, meat and chilli. If I knew your dosha(s) I could give you a more comprehensive list, but these are the ones I know for sure. Foods that pacify all doshas (good foods) are apple sauce, sweet apricots, berries, cherries, asparagus, cooked carrots and cauliflower, green beans, summer squash, fruit juice concentrates, aloe vera juice, grape juice, mango juice and chamomile tea. I've got lots of books on this and am happy to help you more if you'd like.

Wednesdaylotion 27-04-2012 11:55 AM

Cooling Foods

This one's a mistake - don't know how to delete.

Wednesdaylotion 27-04-2012 12:05 PM

Sweet, bitter and astringent foods are considered cooling and slow down digestion, except honey which is heating. Milk is cooling and generally anything else that coats the inside of the mouth, although yoghurt should be fresh and diluted. Sunflower oil, wheat, apples, coconut, coriander/cilantro and fennel are all cooling. Avoid black pepper, turmeric, cardamon, ginger, clove, cumin, cinnamon and nutmeg, fish, sesame oil, onions, eggs, meat and chilli. If I knew your dosha(s) I could give you a more comprehensive list, but these are the ones I know for sure. Foods that pacify all doshas (good foods) are apple sauce, sweet apricots, berries, cherries, asparagus, cooked carrots and cauliflower, green beans, summer squash, fruit juice concentrates, aloe vera juice, grape juice, mango juice and chamomile tea. I've got lots of books on this and am happy to help you more if you'd like.

Adrienne 30-04-2012 09:49 PM

Thank you mattie, Thinker, happy camper, windwhistle and Wednesdaylotion for your replies and suggestions !

I apologize for not thanking you all earlier, I forgot I had written this thread :icon_eek:

Dream Angel xx

shadedragon 11-06-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wednesdaylotion
This one's a mistake - don't know how to delete.

Bottom right of the post should say edit in most cases. Bust delete the info you put up, save, and the post should dissapear.

africh 26-10-2013 06:39 PM

cooling food means those foods which have cooling properties. each and every food has cool or heat properties. hot property food increase heat in our body which can lead to high blood pressure. Cooling foods have properties to cool our body.
example;( Hot) spices, tea coffee garlic ginger
(cool) mint cucumber onion watermelon melon lime .
hope this help you to understand :)

Adrienne 03-11-2013 02:30 PM

thank you africh ,

I didn't know about this part " hot property food increase heat in our body which can lead to high blood pressure.".

Tobi 04-12-2013 02:09 AM

I would guess that any low-calorie foods would be cooling, as calories are actually a measure of a potential for heat production.

Certainly, fats produce heat. That's why fats are needed in extremely cold conditions. But we all do need SOME fats in the diet, so I wouldn't cut them out entirely, just lower fat intake. You need the Omega fats, and others, so you could have some oily fish (if you eat fish) or Flax seeds if you prefer the vegan option. And vitamin E. Don't stop eating foods that contain vitamin E.

Adrienne 04-12-2013 03:49 AM

I learn something new everyday, thanks Tobi !

qwerty 04-02-2014 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream Angel
thank you africh ,

I didn't know about this part " hot property food increase heat in our body which can lead to high blood pressure.".

I'm not sure if I have much more to add to this thread, but I just wanted to note that traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) has a similar concept with food being hot/cold (there are also warm, cool and neutral foods).
From what I know, 'hot' foods aren't necessarily bad -- If a person often feels weak or cold, for example, eating warm or hot food would be good for them.
As an example, dong gui (a herb known to be 'heaty') can be used as a blood tonic. Another example is the durian fruit -- It is said to be 'heaty' and provides a lot of energy.

As for cooling stuff, one of my one of my favorites is chrysanthemum tea (mainly because I'm used to drinking it whenever I get a sore throat or some heat-related illness :P). Also, where I live, people would eat mangosteens to balance the 'heatiness' after eating durian fruits.

I don't know how exactly TCM or Ayurveda works, but it's interesting to know.

qwerty 04-02-2014 06:39 AM

Wow, I use the word 'example' way too much lol

Prasant K 07-04-2015 09:59 AM

In Ayurveda, how a food will affect the doshas, is considered. This is called virya or potency. Food is either hot or cold. This is not temperature, but rather the heating or cooling effect the food will have on the doshas. Cooling foods such as cucumber, fennel or melons are generally good for Pitta, while heating foods such as peppers, onions, tomatoes and mustard are generally good for Vata and Kapha.

Adrienne 08-04-2015 12:44 AM

ahhhh choo ! bless me, lol ! this thread was covered in dust, found in the archives ...........

thanks for the info but dosha, Pitta, Vata and Kapha are Greek to me ......

Karehealth sounds like a website, do you have one ?

kris 08-04-2015 01:22 PM

http://holisticonline.com/ayurveda/a...sification.htm

Adrienne 08-04-2015 05:09 PM

Thanks much kris !

That site has an amazing amount of info and answers to my questions, wow !

Prasant K 09-04-2015 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrienne
ahhhh choo ! bless me, lol ! this thread was covered in dust, found in the archives ...........

thanks for the info but dosha, Pitta, Vata and Kapha are Greek to me ......

Karehealth sounds like a website, do you have one ?

Hi Adrienne, Yes we do have a website. Sorry I wasn't very clear in my previous answer. I hope the following explains my answer better :)
In Ayurveda, three elemental substances are defined. These are called the Doshas. The three doshas are Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Vata is controls bodily functions related to motion such as blood circulation, breathing and heartbeat. Pitta controls your metabolic systems which includes digestion which in turn includes how well your body absorbs nutrition from food. Kapha controls growth in the body and immune system.
According to Ayurvedic theory, balance of the doshas results in health while imbalance leads results in disease. All Ayurvedic treatments and therapies are prescribed according to doshas. The same goes for ayurvedic diet. The heating or cooling effect of the food on the doshas is considered. You can either be classified as a single dosha or combination of doshas.

Adrienne 10-04-2015 01:52 PM

Thank you for the more detailed reply .

Katheryn 02-05-2015 08:15 AM

Hi!

Lovely to find your question...always great to see people interested in Ayurveda.

"Cooling foods" are Kapha-type foods...dairy, vegetables like cucumber, fruits like melons. Here is a great list of Water-Kapha foods, gemstones and colours...(read the section under "supressed Kapha" for things that are cooling...)

http://powerof3info.fatcow.com/?p=2320

All the best with your "cooling off"! :-D
Katheryn

dream jo 06-11-2017 10:44 PM

new 2 me it is i mit try it my slf 1 day

Alice_1 03-07-2018 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Tonight I was reading my oracle cards and they mentioned " cooling foods " in the Aruveda style. I have no clue what they were talking about.... anyone know ?

blessings,
Dream Angel xx

In Ayurveda it is said that there are cooling products and warming. Read Ayurveda. Fire of Digestion.