Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Hinduism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Krishna on attachments.... (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=125108)

ajay00 11-09-2018 03:01 PM

Krishna on attachments....

When a person thinks deeply of sense-objects, he feels an attachment for them. Attachment gives rise to desire and desire(when obstructed) breeds anger. From anger comes delusion which results in loss of memory. The loss of memory causes destruction of discrimination and from the ruin of discrimination the man perishes.
(BG-2 : 63)

Here we find Krishna stating in the Bhagavad Gita the general human psychology with respect to attachments and the anger it creates when things don't go the way one likes, leading to loss of discrimination and ruin.

Obviously the whole sequence starts with thinking deeply of sense-objects to the point of craving.

But to think deeply of sense-objects, one ought to be impressed deeply by it.Something which the advertising agencies and employment of celebrities to endorse brands do a lot.

Meditation results in thoughtless awareness where one thinks at will when needed, and switches off thought when the task is over, and not be influenced by external stimuli like a leaf in the winds.

sky 11-09-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay00

When a person thinks deeply of sense-objects, he feels an attachment for them. Attachment gives rise to desire and desire(when obstructed) breeds anger. From anger comes delusion which results in loss of memory. The loss of memory causes destruction of discrimination and from the ruin of discrimination the man perishes.
(BG-2 : 63)

Here we find Krishna stating in the Bhagavad Gita the general human psychology with respect to attachments and the anger it creates when things don't go the way one likes, leading to loss of discrimination and ruin.

Obviously the whole sequence starts with thinking deeply of sense-objects to the point of craving.

But to think deeply of sense-objects, one ought to be impressed deeply by it.Something which the advertising agencies and employment of celebrities to endorse brands do a lot.

Meditation results in thoughtless awareness where one thinks at will when needed, and switches off thought when the task is over, and not be influenced by external stimuli like a leaf in the winds.

Would Krishna agree that seeking out objects that give us pleasure as attachments to pleasure or would he disagree. what do you think?

running 12-09-2018 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
Would Krishna agree that seeking out objects that give us pleasure as attachments to pleasure or would he disagree. what do you think?

i havs no idea how it could possibly be an issue. bliss and silence is like gravity for joy and contentment. i guess if somebody could physically have sex endless amounts of time then i guess yeah.

im sure i come across in ways people dont like at times. but man it's really that simple.

Shivani Devi 12-09-2018 03:45 AM

Namaste.

When talking about the Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna and attachments, the whole Mahabharata must be taken in entirety and also in context.

When Krishna drove Arjuna's chariot between the two armies on the battlefield of Kurukshetra, Arjuna saw all of his friends and relations on both sides, about to do battle....Arjuna was rather impartial...he really did not want this war to eventuate and yet, it was his job to sound the conch shell to start it....but he didn't want to see his brothers killing his cousins (and vice versa)..his Uncles fighting each other...and so Arjuna just dropped his bow and basically said "I can't do this...I am outta here".

That is when Lord Krishna taught the Bhagavad Gita to Arjuna...basically instructing him to give up all attachments and give up all the love he has for people and perform his duty as per Dharma and Karma.

I wonder how many nowdays can give up love and attachments to all friends and family members? I bet there is no-one.

Aum Namah Shivaya

sky 12-09-2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Namaste.

When talking about the Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna and attachments, the whole Mahabharata must be taken in entirety and also in context.

When Krishna drove Arjuna's chariot between the two armies on the battlefield of Kurukshetra, Arjuna saw all of his friends and relations on both sides, about to do battle....Arjuna was rather impartial...he really did not want this war to eventuate and yet, it was his job to sound the conch shell to start it....but he didn't want to see his brothers killing his cousins (and vice versa)..his Uncles fighting each other...and so Arjuna just dropped his bow and basically said "I can't do this...I am outta here".

That is when Lord Krishna taught the Bhagavad Gita to Arjuna...basically instructing him to give up all attachments and give up all the love he has for people and perform his duty as per Dharma and Karma.

I wonder how many nowdays can give up love and attachments to all friends and family members? I bet there is no-one.

Aum Namah Shivaya

' Give up all attachments and give up all the love he has for [i]people '

Is Krishna seeing love as an attachment?
I know attachment can masquerade as love but I think there's a difference.
I personally wouldn't want to live in a world without love and attachment, the difficulty is knowing what's healthy /wholesome.

sky 12-09-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running
i havs no idea how it could possibly be an issue. bliss and silence is like gravity for joy and contentment. i guess if somebody could physically have sex endless amounts of time then i guess yeah.

im sure i come across in ways people dont like at times. but man it's really that simple.

I am not saying its an issue, just curious to the differences in opinions from various Religions/Cultures.

running 12-09-2018 06:39 AM

Quote:

I am not saying its an issue, just curious to the differences in opinions from various Religions/Cultures.

yeah, kinda thought something like that after i posted. thanks for sharing your curioisity.

sky 12-09-2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

yeah, kinda thought something like that after i posted. thanks for sharing your curioisity.

Religion/Culture can certainly alter the way we think if we are not careful , it can bend and mould you into something very different than your true self.

running 12-09-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Religion/Culture can certainly alter the way we think if we are not careful , it can bend and mould you into something very different than your true self.

as you may have noticed some of this stuff scares the bejeezus out of me. its like there is something very real. and then there is fabrications all around it. not easy to sort through. i may miss out on some things by being over cautious and over protective.

sky 12-09-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

as you may have noticed some of this stuff scares the bejeezus out of me. its like there is something very real. and then there is fabrications all around it. not easy to sort through. i may miss out on some things by being over cautious and over protective.

' scares the bejeezus out of me '

:D That brings back beautiful memories, my Irish Family use to come to the UK when I was a child and ever second word one of them used was ' Bejeezus ' then she would make a sign of the cross, seems like yesterday :smile:

How one little word can evoke such powerful memories.

I am not scared of stuff but definitely wary of being bent and shaped into something that is not me.