Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wicca (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Question about sacred spaces (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72127)

Chikari 23-07-2014 04:35 PM

Question about sacred spaces

I know when we work magic or are honoring the divine we are supposed to be in a sacred place to help us keep a respectful and focused mindset. However, in most of the wicca 101 type books ive read they make it seem like this has to be a seperate place from where you normally do mundane things. My question is if its alright for the place where I connect with the divine, read tarot, and practice magic is just simply in my room.

Jenny Crow 24-07-2014 05:23 AM

If you are lucky enough to have a separate place or have a grove outside that's great but not everybody does. A space is made sacred by cleansing it and casting a circle - and you can do that in your own room.

It used to be recommended that a circle for solo work was 9 feet in diameter but , really you can make a circle whatever size you wish. If, when you say "connect with the divine", you're speaking of meditation or "talking" to your special deity then you don't need to cast a circle and you don't need to cast a circle to do Tarot readings. However, to do magic, especially if you're going to be calling on the Elements or a specific deity for deity magic etc. then you really should cast the circle:smile: , as you should when doing any kind of ritual.

It would be nice if you had space to set up a small altar - this can be done on a table or I even know people who use a shelf (although I'd prefer a small table then when you cast the circle your altar can sit nicely within your circle.

Jenny Crow 24-07-2014 05:35 AM

Double post, sorry

Chikari 24-07-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
If you are lucky enough to have a separate place or have a grove outside that's great but not everybody does. A space is made sacred by cleansing it and casting a circle - and you can do that in your own room.

It used to be recommended that a circle for solo work was 9 feet in diameter but , really you can make a circle whatever size you wish. If, when you say "connect with the divine", you're speaking of meditation or "talking" to your special deity then you don't need to cast a circle and you don't need to cast a circle to do Tarot readings. However, to do magic, especially if you're going to be calling on the Elements or a specific deity for deity magic etc. then you really should cast the circle:smile: , as you should when doing any kind of ritual.

It would be nice if you had space to set up a small altar - this can be done on a table or I even know people who use a shelf (although I'd prefer a small table then when you cast the circle your altar can sit nicely within your circle.

Thank you! :)

Awakened Queen 24-07-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Jenny, how do you cast your circles?

Jenny Crow 24-07-2014 08:56 PM

For over thirty years I used to do it the Gardnerian way with an athame, consecrated, salt water and fire starting each time I go around in the North. Then I used to call the Quarters (Watchtowers etc.)

These days I am treading a Celtic path and use my wand and start in the East. I don't call on the Watchtowers but I do call in Guardians.

Don't know if I've answered your question properly for you - let me know if you need any more info.:smile:

Awakened Queen 29-07-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

For over thirty years I used to do it the Gardnerian way with an athame, consecrated, salt water and fire starting each time I go around in the North. Then I used to call the Quarters (Watchtowers etc.)

These days I am treading a Celtic path and use my wand and start in the East. I don't call on the Watchtowers but I do call in Guardians.

Don't know if I've answered your question properly for you - let me know if you need any more info.:smile:

Yes, you definitely answered it. Thanks:smile: