Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Non Duality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Mistaken Perception (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120427)

Moondance 02-02-2018 02:15 PM

Mistaken Perception

Imagine waves on a vast ocean. The ocean (which is a living principle in this thought experiment) has, over time, assigned a limited degree of sentience and perception to each wave. Via each wave the ocean comes to know itself. Each wave can rightly proclaim, from its unique perspective, ‘I am the ocean.’ The wave is the portal through which the ocean manifests a form of self-reflection.

Now, over time the ocean forgets about this self-reflection contrivance (after all the waves have got better things to be getting on with - not least a growing backlog of shipwrecking and natural disasters) and eventually new generations of waves start to reflect, ponder and proclaim that they are, in fact, waves. They forget that they are the ocean’s play, portal and expression and in error believe that they are somehow independent, separate and inherently existing. With this comes a sense of existential anxiety and fear of annihilation.

As far as I can see, in the light of my own realisations and reflections, this is a rough sketch of the nub of the existential predicament - which is basically that of a mistaken perception. From an early age we overlook the ineffable obvious and identify as the limited expression/portal. My intuition (and in some sense it almost feels like a memory) is that when we came out of the womb - if we could have articulated it - we would have naturally assumed that we were this _________ this dynamic occurrence that is Life itself - nothing less.

Something is happening, something is going on, something ultimately inexplicable - and in moments of quietude there can be a sense/recognition 'ahh… this is so obvious… THIS is what I am… I am Life*… that's what this is… Life simply happening…'

And with the seeing of this we can drop our straining for enlightenment, the endless perfecting of the self, the religious dogma and pedantry, the ceaseless compulsions… and rest here, now, THIS… That’s all… because that’s all there is, THIS... creatively unfolding.

* That’s the placeholder I’m using in this particular post. Tao, Source, Reality, God, Awareness… etc. are equally acceptable/questionable.

Iamit 03-02-2018 12:04 AM

Yes of course as always Moondance. Not realizing any of that is also the Ocean, an important communication for seekers so they are not labelled as lacking even though they may feel that they are lacking.

But we have been round that before:)

sentient 03-02-2018 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moondance
... we can drop our straining for enlightenment, the endless perfecting of the self, the religious dogma and pedantry, the ceaseless compulsions… and rest here, now, THIS… That’s all… because that’s all there is, THIS... creatively unfolding.

Such a relief.

Thanks again Moondance for the reminder.

slash112 03-02-2018 04:15 PM

Beautiful post Moondance, thanks for that!

iamthat 03-02-2018 08:43 PM

Thank you, Moondance. Beautifully expressed.

If the waves let go of the idea of being waves then all struggle ceases. Yet the waves are still present, doing whatever they do.

So if we can stop considering ourselves as the doer and realise that things still get done even in the absence of a doer, then we find peace.

Peace.

sentient 03-02-2018 10:23 PM

In regard to the ‘doer’, I quite enjoy this quote:

Osho:
Quote:

When people come to me and they ask, 'How to meditate?' I tell them, 'There is no need to ask how to meditate, just ask how to remain unoccupied.

Moondance 04-02-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentient
Such a relief.

Thanks again Moondance for the reminder.

Hi Sentient. Glad to hear that something resonated.

Moondance 04-02-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamit
Yes of course as always Moondance. Not realizing any of that is also the Ocean, an important communication for seekers so they are not labelled as lacking even though they may feel that they are lacking.

But we have been round that before:)

Of course. The ocean presents as ignorance and delusion too - but in the seeing of that, ignorance may start to diminish.

Moondance 04-02-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slash112
Beautiful post Moondance, thanks for that!

Hello Slash. Welcome - and thanks for the comment.

Moondance 04-02-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthat
Thank you, Moondance. Beautifully expressed.

If the waves let go of the idea of being waves then all struggle ceases. Yet the waves are still present, doing whatever they do.

So if we can stop considering ourselves as the doer and realise that things still get done even in the absence of a doer, then we find peace.

Peace.

Thanks iamthat.

Yes, teasing out the impersonal and non-volitional nature of events brings conscious activity more in alignment with the way things really are - and thus leads to less stress.

But the volition issue is quite complex and can be contentious if not grasped properly. But grasping it properly entails a degree of nondual insight. With this the issue resolves itself.