Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Why did Rome decline once it became Christian? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32437)

Honza 20-03-2012 06:37 AM

Why did Rome decline once it became Christian?

Rome was very powerful. It was 2000 years ago and it was very modern for its time. It was pro-active and taking humanity places it had never been before.....so why did it go into decline once it became Christian?

That seems rather suspicious to me. Like Christ *weakened" Rome.....like he brought it crashing down on purpose.

I don't trust Christ anymore.

Animus27 20-03-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
Rome was very powerful. It was 2000 years ago and it was very modern for its time. It was pro-active and taking humanity places it had never been before.....so why did it go into decline once it became Christian?

That seems rather suspicious to me. Like Christ *weakened" Rome.....like he brought it crashing down on purpose.

I don't trust Christ anymore.

It didn't. It was in steady decline, losing money from extravagance, and being attacked continuously by other nations. The adoption of Christianity as a official religion was more of a sign of a major social change, the growing civil unrest and debt meant that a savior mystery cult like Christianity could take root in various strata of the Empire, before it was officially made the state religion.

psychoslice 20-03-2012 07:22 AM

Its not the Christ that you shouldn't trust, its what they did with it, Christ is just a word that means our inner Being, its beyond the mind body, but its where we can commune from, its our connection to a higher Consciousness.

Honza 20-03-2012 07:25 AM

Both very interesting answers thankyou. Food for thought.

Honza 20-03-2012 07:26 AM

So Rome became Christian once it was in decline already? I did not know that. It was a sign of the Roman's discontent?

norseman 20-03-2012 09:10 AM

I agree with PS on this one. Dont blame Christ, blame the organisation built in his name.

Dilchannan 20-03-2012 01:34 PM

Do not blame the fall of an empire on Christ, place the blame where it belongs. On those who relish in worldly living, fulfilling the lusts of the flesh. On loving power and money more than God, on greed, corruption, and lies.

Christ did not come to condemn the world, but to save it..

Peace to you

WhiteWarrior 20-03-2012 03:11 PM

Rome declined because the slave system collapsed. The influx of fresh workers waned while at the same time, the slaves had the option of gaining their freedom in exchange for increased effort - thereby eventually reducing the slave workforce to those least willing to work. Religion was not a major factor in this.

Of course, rampant corruption at every governmental level did not help matters, nor the everpresent onslaught of attacking external forces.

theophilus 20-03-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza

Actually Rome weakened the church. When Christianity became the official religion many people who weren't genuine converts to Christ professed to be Christians and joined the church because of the political and social benefits membership brought. They brought their false beliefs and practices into the church and turned it away from following Christ. Things even got so bad that the genuine followers of Christ were regarded as heretics and persecuted by the official church.

Aesop 20-03-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theophilus
Actually Rome weakened the church. When Christianity became the official religion many people who weren't genuine converts to Christ professed to be Christians and joined the church because of the political and social benefits membership brought. They brought their false beliefs and practices into the church and turned it away from following Christ. Things even got so bad that the genuine followers of Christ were regarded as heretics and persecuted by the official church.

While I might agree that this is possible, it's all conjecture. One could also argue that without Rome accepting Christianity that the religion would have died out or at least wouldn't be as widespread as it is now.