Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Paganism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Coming of Age (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73323)

Hazel 16-08-2014 09:12 PM

Coming of Age

Ok so in about half a month's time I'm going to be turning 18 & I'm starting looking at coming of age ceremonies for pagans/neo-pagans & was wondering if someone could explain/give examples & incase you need to know for the ceremony/rituals I'm female {If you didn't know already}

Honza 16-08-2014 09:41 PM

Jump into a river fully clothed.
Make a bonfire and enjoy the night sky.
Have a wild party.
Get blind drunk.
Go for a long walk in the countryside.
Go for a lovely meal in a restaurant.
Have a day doing completely nothing.

Those were a few unofficial 'Coming Of Age' ceremonies! Have a great day whatever you choose to do in the end! :D

Xiomara 17-08-2014 02:43 PM

Hi Hazel,
i think you could just ponder upon what womanhood means to you,and how a woman should be herself nowdays,or how femininity can help our Planet and Nature.
Just find yourself and live by your heart.

:color:

Caitlyn Laufey 01-09-2014 12:13 AM

A symbol or focus usually helps

Usually it is important to pick something specialon a day or moment that signifies or symbolizes a landmark and then to add that to your toolbox of talismans or focai. I have a necklace of charms and pendants, each one from a significant moment in my life that i cherish and i take it with me to every other major thing I do (like traveling or events). I try to consecrate it with meditation when I am there and have a moment at a place i deem "special". Perhaps that is something you should either acquire or be on the lookout for that day or week?

Jenny Crow 01-09-2014 04:33 AM

For some pagans, depending on the tradition, it is time to find your magical name and be accepted into the clan or group or coven:smile:

Caitlyn Laufey 01-09-2014 09:17 PM

Jenny has a great idea!

That would be a great idea and if within the confines of your interests would be a great way to start your "official" adult life. I don't know if that fits with anything you believe or not or if you have the available connections (if not I have to believe it is possible to find someone or a resource). But it would be a powerful start. A new name is not only a connection to you and new unplumbed aspects of your self and spirit, but it would also lead you into a new direction or perhaps further into an old one. But I would still choose a focal object.

Megamedes 04-09-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
Jump into a river fully clothed.
Make a bonfire and enjoy the night sky.
Have a wild party.
Get blind drunk.
Go for a long walk in the countryside.
Go for a lovely meal in a restaurant.
Have a day doing completely nothing.

Those were a few unofficial 'Coming Of Age' ceremonies! Have a great day whatever you choose to do in the end! :D

I say the first one and will second: have a great [read amazing] day - from here there should be no doubt that you deserve it :hug2: At least do something involving the night sky... I think that would be a great idea. There are also more monster to play with in the river at night, so that is a win win I think :wink:

Hazel 09-09-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
For some pagans, depending on the tradition, it is time to find your magical name and be accepted into the clan or group or coven:smile:

The new name is a great idea but I already chose a magical name when I was 14 and first discovered/became pagan to separate what I was before then and how I changed by becoming pagan so that's kind of out of the question but thank you for the idea :D

I believe that my boyfriend (also pagan) has got me something that will link to coming of age, though i'm not entirely sure how as I've had no clues what so ever from him. My 18th however was this sunday and I did go swimming with sharks which is quite an impressive if not milestone event :)