Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Beliefs (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Why it's seen as selfish to take care of yourself? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=147955)

ReturningMoon 30-12-2023 04:14 PM

Why it's seen as selfish to take care of yourself?

Hi everyone. A recent health scare taught me this. In taking care of yourself you take care of the world around you. I just think it's very strange there's this idea we have to dedicate our lives to selfless sacrifice.
Through selfless sacrifice you're only really hurting yourself. So why do you think society puts so much emphasis on taking care of others but not yourself?

Lord_Viskey 30-12-2023 07:15 PM

Personally, I've never seen this as an "either/or" situation.

It's an "and" situation - and courtesy, generosity, empathy are al lpretty good for the souls of "one 'and' another".

Miss Hepburn 30-12-2023 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturningMoon
So why do you think society puts so much emphasis on taking care of others but not yourself?

1. Ignorance, lack of knowledge.
2. Not reading Ayn Rand or Abraham-Hicks, lol.:tongue:
3. Possibly misunderstanding Christian teachings.
My take.

FallingLeaves 30-12-2023 08:27 PM

it is 'selfish' to take care of yourself so that you won't be able to get the agreement of a lot of other people that that is what you are allowed to do. If you are gonna do it you have to do it kinda without support from society at large? None of us quite likes that idea though lol...

Native spirit 30-12-2023 09:18 PM

If you don't take care of yourself you will be in no fit state to take care of anyone else either.

Namaste

Redchic12 31-12-2023 08:36 AM

We spend so many years of our life considering others, especially if you have kids or a needy parent ie honouring others.
But we need to honour ourself. Arent we just as important as anyone else.

Altair 31-12-2023 10:28 AM

Selfishness and selflessness can intersect or align. Those that do selfless activity still enjoy the feeling that comes with that.

Redchic12 31-12-2023 12:37 PM

Yes of course Altair. I feel having the balance between honouring others AND honouring ourselves is the key to a healthy life. Just my opinion tho.

WhiteWarrior 31-12-2023 02:29 PM

Quote:

Why it's seen as selfish to take care of yourself?

Interesting statement, and I could not disagree more. Taking care of yourself is not selfish, it is a duty. If you don't, you most likely become a burden on someone else.

entenmanns 01-02-2024 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redchic12
Yes of course Altair. I feel having the balance between honouring others AND honouring ourselves is the key to a healthy life. Just my opinion tho.

The practice of disassociation is a spiritual teaching and in my opinion to much time and effort is wasted on helping people that in the end wont make a differance anyhow unless you believe in unrealistic fairytales. In my opinion anyways. god helps those who help themselves!