Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Exercise (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   I do not like exercise; motivators? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84951)

StormNexus 24-04-2015 05:14 AM

I do not like exercise; motivators?

Exercise. I need to do it, but I don't want to. What are some ways you've helped motivate yourself to START? What are some ways you've motivated yourself to stick with it?

Deepsoul 24-04-2015 07:45 AM

Ive exercised my entire life until now ,due to a health complication at first it was this is crazy and had major withdrawals but the brain and brawn soon adapt .It was never difficult for me ,as a child I spent all of my waking time running every where ,hardly ever walked we had great hills where i grew up and spent years rolling down them or sliding down them on cardboard ,oh yeah and the sled dad made ,anyway I played hockey as a teenager wasnt that great at it but it was fun, did heaps of bushwalking and waterfall discovering through my twenties and thirtys,Have been doing yoga for 20 years and can still do some gentle stuff,and always loved light weights , have just started gentle horse riding ,so the horsey is doing most of the work ,Ill be back one day though ,so StormNexus I would say just start tying things maybe stuff you would not usually pick ,think outside the box so to say,maybe go trampolining or get a dog then youll have to walk everyday but most of all make it enjoyable because its part of life ,Good luck ,Id love to say i will roll down a hill again before its all over :)................

Deepsoul 24-04-2015 08:04 AM

I just thought to also say that weights ,sit ups etc much more fun to music ,but instead of counting repetitions I always found it more pleasant to say the alphabet and they fly by...........

Tobi 24-04-2015 11:33 PM

Oh 'exercising' is so boring! Particularly if looked on as a discipline, which must be done....so many sit-ups....so many pull-ups....crunching and groaning, and paying gym membership.....oh no.

Just drive out somewhere really nice that intrigues you. Park the car and go for a circular walk. Make sure it's at least a two hour walk. You don't need walking sticks, you don't need food, you don't need bottles of energy drinks. You might need a map and compass, depending on where you're going (and if going anywhere remotely dangerous then yes -take survival essentials in a back-pack including food & water)
But generally for a nice walk you don't need all that caboodle. Just get out there and walk for the fun of it.

Getting a dog is a good idea so long as you will love the dog. You will have the best walking buddy anyone could ever have.

Kiran65 28-04-2015 07:44 PM

This may sound horrible to most people, but where you like to walk may depend on where you grew up. I grew up in Manhattan, lived there, or major cities most of my life. I am NOT a nature person--the idea of camping quite horrifies me (my husband and I agreed--the idea of roughing it was a motel instead of a hotel, and that was not appealing!). When I finally left Manhattan for another state, I found walking in nature the most boring thing ever, and horribly difficult, but when I was in NYC I ADORED walking, and walked everywhere! It finally occurred to me that it was just not what I was used to looking at. I loved walking around stores, big buildings, in museums, etc. So now I walk in malls, in zoos, around places with lots of architecturally interesting buildings, etc. Much more fun for me :D

teak. 29-04-2015 04:06 AM

When I decided to make exercise a part of my life, I started simply with walking around my neighborhood for 20 minutes (briskly) then I increased the time as I wanted to challenge myself. I did it 5 days a week. Slowly, I continued to challenge myself by wanting to be able to do things (kayak, hike, etc.) and realized exercise can be fun. It grows on you.

sunsoul 29-04-2015 05:55 AM

Dancing is the greatest non-exercise exercise in my opinion (and many agree who have discussed this with me).

You move, you dance to the music, interact with partner, get very sweaty at the all night big parties and yet it never feels boring or like exercise!

I dance salsa, but lindy hop, swing, tango or whatever will likely have similar results!

Lorelyen 02-05-2015 11:25 AM

Dance !!

Astro 02-05-2015 11:57 AM

I look to things that I'm interested in or are fun. For me, & as has been said, it's walking & hiking.

Howla Dark 02-05-2015 11:47 PM

Sunshining in spring motivates me to go out and have a walk but... I don't like work-out exercise!