Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Religion (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   In what way is consciousness God? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127268)

Honza 05-01-2019 11:47 AM

In what way is consciousness God?

I have heard it said many times. That consciousness is God itself. That consciousness is all that is. This is stated by the New Age teachings and by Eastern teachings. I need to ask those who believe this; in what was is consciousness God?

Is it because you believe consciousness lies at the base of all reality? But surely that does not make it God. People say that consciousness and God are the same thing. So in what way is consciousness God? WHY is consciousness called God?

sky 06-01-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
I have heard it said many times. That consciousness is God itself. That consciousness is all that is. This is stated by the New Age teachings and by Eastern teachings. I need to ask those who believe this; in what was is consciousness God?

Is it because you believe consciousness lies at the base of all reality? But surely that does not make it God. People say that consciousness and God are the same thing. So in what way is consciousness God? WHY is consciousness called God?

God is.... Always was... And always will be, as is Consciousness.

Honza 06-01-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
God is.... Always was... And always will be, as is Consciousness.

Are they the same thing to you?

neil 06-01-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Honza.. hi there, I see that you have shot over here to post, why is that, I have responded to some of your posts in Christianity in the thread "Christ" before you started here with this thread.
You responded in the "Christ thread to all others, but denied me a response.

I am indeed wondering why...mmm...I wonder if I am possibly on your ignore list, but if that is the case then you will not see this post...MMM.. oh well, I guess I will just wait and see...SMILES, Neil

God-Like 07-01-2019 10:07 AM

There is beyond consciousness but there is not beyond what you are ..

For there to be the suggestion that consciousness is all there is would be to associate what you to be something or other ..

What you are is both something and nothing as the saying goes ..

x daz x

Unseeking Seeker 07-01-2019 12:28 PM

Presenting a view, as cognised:

In-form consciousness relies upon external senses and thought to operate in the earth realm.

What we call consciousness is hijacked by the ego, creating an illusion of separate identity, duality. So we have a) egoic consciousness which is illusionary, believing it to be a separate self & b) our original consciousness, one with God or oneness (but the question implied is, how may we know this?)

Thought has two aspects, analytical, sequential, fragmented on the one hand and intuitive on the other. Analytical bisects, while intuitive thought unifies. As long as we employ analytical thought, there is a tendency to imagine that the thought is generated by us as a separate doer, the ego. In reality, all thought, as is all matter or energy, is simply vibration, drawn in as of our orientation-resonation. Intuitive thought has no doer, which is why the egoic consciousness prefers not to cultivate it, since it is fearful of losing its identity, its existence.

With this preamble, employing intuitive thought or what we may say from the egos point of view, by non-self presence, we engage in meditation. During deep meditation, our consciousness, original consciousness ... not the illusionary egoic consciousness, dissolves in the divine current if we employ our free will to choicelessly choose to do so in childlike innocence. Our consciousness then becomes in, as and one with the That Oneness absolute or God or love absolute, encompassing the all.

We may then say, that ascended consciousness is God. However, we cannot prove it. We have to be to become as such, which we already are but momentarily unaware for as long as our attention is egoic.

Honza 07-01-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil
Honza.. hi there, I see that you have shot over here to post, why is that, I have responded to some of your posts in Christianity in the thread "Christ" before you started here with this thread.
You responded in the "Christ thread to all others, but denied me a response.

I am indeed wondering why...mmm...I wonder if I am possibly on your ignore list, but if that is the case then you will not see this post...MMM.. oh well, I guess I will just wait and see...SMILES, Neil

Hello Neil. Sorry if I have not responded to some of your posts. It was not intentional. I do read what you have to say.

MARDAV70 30-01-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker

Presenting a view, as cognised:

In-form consciousness relies upon external senses and thought to operate in the earth realm.

What we call consciousness is hijacked by the ego, creating an illusion of separate identity, duality. So we have a) egoic consciousness which is illusionary, believing it to be a separate self & b) our original consciousness, one with God or oneness (but the question implied is, how may we know this?)

Thought has two aspects, analytical, sequential, fragmented on the one hand and intuitive on the other. Analytical bisects, while intuitive thought unifies. As long as we employ analytical thought, there is a tendency to imagine that the thought is generated by us as a separate doer, the ego. In reality, all thought, as is all matter or energy, is simply vibration, drawn in as of our orientation-resonation. Intuitive thought has no doer, which is why the egoic consciousness prefers not to cultivate it, since it is fearful of losing its identity, its existence.

With this preamble, employing intuitive thought or what we may say from the egos point of view, by non-self presence, we engage in meditation. During deep meditation, our consciousness, original consciousness ... not the illusionary egoic consciousness, dissolves in the divine current if we employ our free will to choicelessly choose to do so in childlike innocence. Our consciousness then becomes in, as and one with the That Oneness absolute or God or love absolute, encompassing the all.

We may then say, that ascended consciousness is God. However, we cannot prove it. We have to be to become as such, which we already are but momentarily unaware for as long as our attention is egoic.

Very interesting! During my NDE at one point very early I felt "whole". I'm pretty certain that's because my pure existence (consciousness) was free of the ego during that whole experience. My ego remained in that (temporarily) dead body and would have died along with the body if I hadn't been "brought back to life". Because of that it makes sense to me that the ego (in and of itself) knows it's days are limited and seeks only that which pleases or benefits the body, of which it's depends upon to exist. Yet our consciousness knows the true state of existence (that which never dies). Hence, the "battle" of consciousness/ego.

So as far as "is consciousness God" I'd have to say "of course". But I also feel that it's in a way we can't clearly perceive (yet) as human beings...because of the ego. (I also feel that consciousness is the energy by which physical particles can exist in this universe.)

Namaste

Spirit Bear 30-01-2019 04:52 PM

I believe that a piece of god is in all of us, that peice seeks to share our experiences. I believe we are in control of our destiny through our choices, and if we allow it, that peice can help guide us to make the right choices.

Consiousness contains god's will, we don't have to blindly follow it.

Even if you could talk to an angel, to god, to a spirit or intermediary, you still may hear things you don't want to follow. It may even be equally frustrating on both sides. Still, if you love your guide and you love yourself then compromise can lead you to an enlightened path. There is more than one way to cross a river, but remember that getting to the other side is the goal, not blindly following a divine path.

The experience and learning is in the how, not in the ends, all sides can appreciate that i think.

markings 31-01-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

The consciousness which is God is not in any way a consciousness that could be likened to our consciousness. It is so far from anything we are familiar with, or could even imagine, that I consider it to be a nonsensical saying.

"The Tao which can be named is not the true Tao."

Here you have it in clear text, unambiguous, straight forward.

God is not consciousness, and consciousness is not God, for the simple reason that if it would be true then the Tao Te Ching would be wrong, and as this forms the first line of the Tao Te Ching we would have to discard everything else as probably wrong too.

Honza 01-02-2019 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markings

Yes I like that.

Miss Hepburn 01-02-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARDAV70
So as far as "is consciousness God" I'd have to say "of course".
But I also feel that it's in a way we can't clearly perceive (yet) as human beings...because of the ego.
Namaste

Oh, but we CAN! :thumbsup:
It takes disciplined effort, tho!!!!!!!

You might love the book by Michael Langford..."The Most Direct Means To Eternal Bliss"....
it's all about being aware of Awareness Itself.

(A whole other topic...the diff between Consciousness and Awareness..I don't wanna give Honza headache.) :tongue:

Miss Hepburn 02-02-2019 01:03 AM

Since I don't know exactly what consciousness is...I can only pose a question.
Isn't that which looks out from behind my eyes ...which made Itself known to me at around 5-6 yrs old one summer
in the countryside...The Observer?
The Observer of all?
The One that feels the flower's roots burrowing into the earth for water...while
it stretches to reach to the Sun for nutrition?
Isn't It the same thing in the lead bird of the flock knowing where the
destination is?
Isn't this Observer the One that lies under our our own consciousness digesting our food and making our fingernails grow as we sleep?
Is that God? Is that the God that parted the seas and said, Let there be Light? The All That Is?

If 'I' watch something intently is that "me"? My personality, my ego, my body, my wealth, my feelings, my passions?
What is 'me' then...is it also the Watcher, the Witness? Collecting data?

I am not presently qualified to do much more than ask these questions.
My immediate take is there is nothing....nothing that exists that is not because of God, I was also shown this in a stunning Moment...the
floating dust particle, a dream with our eyes closed,

a thought...all exist because of Him...
does that make consciousness Him more than the glass I hold?

Maybe I will have clearer answers another time...and put them into words.
This has not been a subject of mine I have pondered...
I focus on other things ....like feeling His Divine Presence....we each
have subjects we like.
:tongue:

Unseeking Seeker 02-02-2019 07:13 AM

As stated, my understanding is:

Consciousness = in form consciousness through thought & senses, mostly externalised but may be internalised if consciousness so chooses through free will, in prayerful meditation

Awareness = Oneness, love absolute or we may say, God

Consciousness has the ability to tune in or resonate across a wide spectrum of vibration including the Oneness awareness vibration

When consciousness = awareness ...
which happens when consciousness minus ego is devoid of any dilution, confusion or manipulation by the ego, the ego being the duality aspect, an illusion, which the consciousness tends to adopt by overindulgence or attachment or clinging to egoic engagement ...
then consciousness = awareness potentially, converted into permanent reality by voluntary repetition of the meditational engagement for assimilation

When consciousness = awareness in an unbroken continuum we may say that consciousness is the same as Oneness absolute.

MARDAV70 02-02-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Since I don't know exactly what consciousness is...I can only pose a question.
Isn't that which looks out from behind my eyes ...which made Itself known to me at around 5-6 yrs old one summer
in the countryside...The Observer?
The Observer of all?
The One that feels the flower's roots burrowing into the earth for water...while
it stretches to reach to the Sun for nutrition?
Isn't It the same thing in the lead bird of the flock knowing where the
destination is?
Isn't this Observer the One that lies under our our own consciousness digesting our food and making our fingernails grow as we sleep?
Is that God? Is that the God that parted the seas and said, Let there be Light? The All That Is?

If 'I' watch something intently is that "me"? My personality, my ego, my body, my wealth, my feelings, my passions?
What is 'me' then...is it also the Watcher, the Witness? Collecting data?

I am not presently qualified to do much more than ask these questions.
My immediate take is there is nothing....nothing that exists that is not because of God, I was also shown this in a stunning Moment...the
floating dust particle, a dream with our eyes closed,

a thought...all exist because of Him...
does that make consciousness Him more than the glass I hold?

Maybe I will have clearer answers another time...and put them into words.
This has not been a subject of mine I have pondered...
I focus on other things ....like feeling His Divine Presence....we each
have subjects we like.
:tongue:

It sounds like you're seeing "consciousness" and "conscious" in the same context...that is, both meaning aware, alert...not comatose or passed out. If so, that sounds to me more of a "scientific" view rather than a spiritual one. If not, then I'm not understanding you.

The way I see it, in a nutshell, is that consciousness is kind of like the fuel of this dimension/universe. Our bodies perceive things like flowers, trees, feeling roots, etc. through our senses. It's how we observe things. Consciousness is the energy that drives the atoms in order for these things to exist. Consciousness is also what makes us appreciate them because without it they wouldn't exist.

Miss Hepburn 07-02-2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARDAV70
It sounds like you're seeing "consciousness" and "conscious" in the same context...that is, both meaning aware, alert...not comatose or passed out. If so, that sounds to me more of a "scientific" view rather than a spiritual one. If not, then I'm not understanding you.

Hi, Me? Scientific? Funny....except I do try to open people to the spiritual aspect
by using examples of quantum physics discoveries a bit;
to expand their consciousness more.

ActualityOfBeing 07-02-2019 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markings
The consciousness which is God is not in any way a consciousness that could be likened to our consciousness. It is so far from anything we are familiar with, or could even imagine, that I consider it to be a nonsensical saying.

God is not consciousness, and consciousness is not God, for the simple reason that if it would be true then the Tao Te Ching would be wrong, and as this forms the first line of the Tao Te Ching we would have to discard everything else as probably wrong too.

It is worth considering the Tao Te Ching is accurate, and the interpretation is wrong. Perhaps the True Tao can not be named, because you are it. Were you to speak even a word to define it, you would be unknowingly establishing you are separate from it- which you are not. As such, there is only one consciousness, yours, and it can not be spoken of properly as if it was not.

MARDAV70 10-02-2019 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Hi, Me? Scientific? Funny....except I do try to open people to the spiritual aspect
by using examples of quantum physics discoveries a bit;
to expand their consciousness more.

Lol...I kinda thought you might react to that (with all due respect), Miss Hepburn. Yep, I'm with you on quantum physics. Quantum physicist Jim Gates said in his group's study they've found that either our reality is a program running on a super computer "somewhere", or consciousness is running the show. I'm pretty sure the later part of that statement is correct, and I'd suspect you would, too. Have you checked out Dr. Steven Greer? A lot of what he says makes a great deal of sense to me...regarding consciousness, ETs, suppressed free energy solutions and our being controlled by those who've given in to the ego. Namaste.

Crystalsun 17-03-2019 07:37 AM

http://yogananda.com.au/gurus/yoganandaquotes03b.html

This is from Yogananda:

"The Lord is not a Person with sense organs, but Consciousness itself; He is therefore aware of the thoughts and sensory perceptions of every being. Jesus referred to this all-embracingness when he said that not a sparrow shall fall on the ground without the knowledge of the Father. (bg)

God is the Eternal Consciousness, unchanging and indivisible, in which the illusions of time (change) and space (division) present an infinite variety of forms interacting in a progressive mode of past, present, and future. "

This I read a few years ago, the first time i heard that God is Consciousness itself.
To be honest, i am still not clear on all this concept.

sky 17-03-2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystalsun

This is from Yogananda:

"The Lord is not a Person with sense organs, but Consciousness itself; He is therefore aware of the thoughts and sensory perceptions of every being. Jesus referred to this all-embracingness when he said that not a sparrow shall fall on the ground without the knowledge of the Father. (bg)

God is the Eternal Consciousness, unchanging and indivisible, in which the illusions of time (change) and space (division) present an infinite variety of forms interacting in a progressive mode of past, present, and future. "

This I read a few years ago, the first time i heard that God is Consciousness itself.

You might find this article interesting :smile:

https://www.esolibris.com/articles/r...sciousness.php

Honza 17-03-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystalsun

This is from Yogananda:

That sounds all very well. But I do not think universal consciousness is enough to save the Human race. Only our Father is strong enough to do that. Before anyone asks "what do we need saving from?" just think about what happened in New Zealand just the other day.

sky 17-03-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

That sounds all very well. But I do not think universal consciousness is enough to save the Human race. Only our Father is strong enough to do that. Before anyone asks "what do we need saving from?" just think about what happened in New Zealand just the other day.

' just think about what happened in New Zealand just the other day.'

Where was ' Our Father ' when that was happening ?

Honza 17-03-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

' just think about what happened in New Zealand just the other day.'

Where was ' Our Father ' when that was happening ?

I have no idea. But universal consciousness was not there either.

Crystalsun 18-03-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Erwin Schriodinger i suppose is the founder of quantum mechanics. He studied consciousness for a long period.He was very inspired by the Vedas. He has said "The total sum of minds in the universe is one.In fact, consciousness is a singularity phasing in aall beings."

So, universal consciousness orcastrates terror attacks in N.Zealand. Why? I don't know. You put "the Father" above UC. Do you reffer to the bible Father ?

meetjazz 18-03-2019 05:29 PM

I think that first is quite a lot of mysticism with whom people usually try to seperate oneself from Christian picture of a GOD, or ISLAM. It can be everything just not christianity or islam and everything what they teach or stand for, must be or is in one way or another wrong, childish and for less capable, less intellectual, b version of ''spirituality''.The real deal what many younger people think today is, or what western culture seems to assume is: eastern philosophy, eastern religion,...from where are most of the popular views.From my point of view is this denial of all western philosophy, western religion,..because of the disasters what Catholic Church and Islam have often produce. And I can understand this partly, people want to free oneself's from dogma, monopol & influence of priests,...(ironically Jesus tried the same thing also) even though my support here also ends with all those rejections of western religions and philosophy, which for sure is not less sophisticated and amazing as the eastern.

Many people today in this eastern search of liberation actaully don't know much about eastern religions and their philosophies, there gives many, many dark sides of eastern religions also - I guess some would actaully rather go back to Christianity if they would know some dark sides of Buddhism or Hinduism. Usually when you hear, all is energy, all is vibration,..they usually talk about Advaita Vedanta (it's a hindu philosophy) and introspections. It's really a very, very difficult philosophy which actaully noone really understands and never did. The most easy how to grasp this philosophy when they say ''All is one'' all is consciousness, consciousness is everything there is,..although hardly anyone know to explain this or tell what that even means? Does that mean that I'm dreaming or that I'm a part of your dream? Are you my illusion? And my dog? Or I'm your illusion? The most easily to interpret or understand this philosophy is, if you imagine a raindrop, from 1 raindrop can become two, three, four,..an ocean and each raindrop will be completely unique, yet at the same time all will be one. It's almost identical what Christianity teach (literally), just different metaphors,...I could further describe this philosophy about the origin, creation(yes creation, same as Christianity),while Buddism have never deal with philosphies about the origin but about breaking free from suffering.

desert rat 19-03-2019 02:39 PM

My image in God is of energy and consciouness . This post on a.p. by one of the mods fits my image of God .

http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/we...-t38258.0.html

Honza 19-03-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meetjazz
I think that first is quite a lot of mysticism with whom people usually try to seperate oneself from Christian picture of a GOD, or ISLAM. It can be everything just not christianity or islam and everything what they teach or stand for, must be or is in one way or another wrong, childish and for less capable, less intellectual, b version of ''spirituality''.The real deal what many younger people think today is, or what western culture seems to assume is: eastern philosophy, eastern religion,...from where are most of the popular views.From my point of view is this denial of all western philosophy, western religion,..because of the disasters what Catholic Church and Islam have often produce. And I can understand this partly, people want to free oneself's from dogma, monopol & influence of priests,...(ironically Jesus tried the same thing also) even though my support here also ends with all those rejections of western religions and philosophy, which for sure is not less sophisticated and amazing as the eastern.

Many people today in this eastern search of liberation actaully don't know much about eastern religions and their philosophies, there gives many, many dark sides of eastern religions also - I guess some would actaully rather go back to Christianity if they would know some dark sides of Buddhism or Hinduism. Usually when you hear, all is energy, all is vibration,..they usually talk about Advaita Vedanta (it's a hindu philosophy) and introspections. It's really a very, very difficult philosophy which actaully noone really understands and never did. The most easy how to grasp this philosophy when they say ''All is one'' all is consciousness, consciousness is everything there is,..although hardly anyone know to explain this or tell what that even means? Does that mean that I'm dreaming or that I'm a part of your dream? Are you my illusion? And my dog? Or I'm your illusion? The most easily to interpret or understand this philosophy is, if you imagine a raindrop, from 1 raindrop can become two, three, four,..an ocean and each raindrop will be completely unique, yet at the same time all will be one. It's almost identical what Christianity teach (literally), just different metaphors,...I could further describe this philosophy about the origin, creation(yes creation, same as Christianity),while Buddism have never deal with philosphies about the origin but about breaking free from suffering.

The dark side of Eastern religion....yes I know what you mean.

sky 19-03-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

The dark side of Eastern religion....yes I know what you mean.

Read the OT to see the dark side of Christianity :smile:
You could also study the Inquisition and the Crusades to name a few..... I could fill a page but you'll see the gist of my meaning....

ImthatIm 19-03-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

You could also study the Inquisition and the Crusades to name a few..... I could fill a page but you'll see the gist of my meaning....

These things are not the teachings of Christ. Therefore not Christianity IMO.
:nono:
^^^^^

Honza 20-03-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

To be fair the post that I was referring to mentioned the dark side of Christianity as well as the dark side of Eastern religion. It was saying both have a dark side.

meetjazz 20-03-2019 08:10 AM

I think that the division between various spiritual teachings and religions is artificial, in the foundation they all teach the same things. Or might look it from another perspective, there gives no indian love, japanish love, american love, german love, hindu love,christian love, islam love, taoist love,...there gives only love. There gives no African compassion, Thai Compassion, Caribbean Compassion,..there gives only compassion. So people make many artificial differences and some are going even to war for it. Even here are people willing to bash each other. Yes there gives various methods, many different ways how to achieve peace of mind, happiness, liberation,..but there gives no such thing as Japanise peace of mind, German peace of mind, Christian peace of mind or Buddhist peace of mind, Hindu peace of mind,..there gives only peace of mind. There gives no Buddhist enlightenment, Hindu enlightenment or Christian enlightenment, it gives only enlightenment, we are all talking about the same thing. And how people reach or come to those stages or realizations can vary from a person to person afterall each of us is unique, the same as each tree is unique.

sky 20-03-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

To be fair the post that I was referring to mentioned the dark side of Christianity as well as the dark side of Eastern religion. It was saying both have a dark side.

Without a dark side there is no light side :smile:

ajay00 21-03-2019 02:10 AM

Prajñānam brahma - Brahman is pure consciousness (Aitareya Upanishad 3.3 of the Rig Veda)

Strictly speaking, it is pure consciousness devoid of desires in the form of cravings and aversions that is stated to be Brahman or God. All of us have this pure consciousness within us , but it is adulterated by our numerous desires in the form of cravings and aversions, from which springs all vices such as greed, hatred, lust, ego, jealousy, sense of separativeness from the rest of existence and so on.

The person who is established in pure consciousness is quite different from the person he is when he is in a state of impure consciousness due to the influence of numerous desires. The man who is established in pure consciousness is stated to be enlightened as per eastern philosophy.

The 'I am' state is considered to be of a pure state of consciousness by Nisargadatta .

Establish yourself firmly in the awareness of "I am" and reject all that does not go with it. This is the beginning and also the end of all endeavour. - Nisargadatta Maharaj

The 'I am' state of pure consciousness is also emphasized by Jehovah as well...

Jehovah - “I AM THAT I AM” (Exodus 3:14)

Honza 21-03-2019 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay00

The 'I am' state of pure consciousness is also emphasized by Jehovah as well...

Jehovah - “I AM THAT I AM” (Exodus 3:14)

There have been numerous discussions about what Yahweh actually called Himself. According to the Jews the name Jehovah is such a bad translation of God's name that it is not really viable.

The Jews call God Yahweh which is also not really translatable as I AM THAT I AM.

The Christian scholars cut a few corners here.

markings 21-03-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

The Jews call God Yahweh which is also not really translatable as I AM THAT I AM.

All it means is "stuff happens".

There is no one and nothing which orchestrates the stuff. It is just natural laws, some of which we know, some which we don't.

Consciousness is a stupid word for what underlies all existence because it comes with a lot of baggage, awareness, knowledge, direction, etc. Whatever existence of any sort is based upon has no such attributes.

ajay00 24-03-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

There have been numerous discussions about what Yahweh actually called Himself. According to the Jews the name Jehovah is such a bad translation of God's name that it is not really viable.

The Christian scholars cut a few corners here.

In Islamic Sufism as well, Fana, the state of self-annihilation ( similar to moksha and Nirvana), is stated to represent the state of pure consciousness of and abidance in God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fana_(Sufism)