Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Death & The Afterlife (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   May 21st..the end of the world... (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16209)

Coming2 20-05-2011 06:52 PM

May 21st..the end of the world...

Hi everyone!!

So has anyone read or seen the billboards around the US claiming that tomorrow, Saturday May 21st, is going to be the end of the world?? My daughter called me yesterday from school in tears because she saw a billboard and all her friends were afraid of dying. First it hurt me a bit to see her distraught but also by the fact that as much as we have talked about the afterlife that she would ever be afraid of dying.

I did research on the guy who is claiming this and he is taking his information by adding, subtracting and reducing numbers in the Bible. He predicted the same thing a few years ago but then recanted that the numbers were wrong when nothing happened. Does this sound like Koo laid cult to anyone else?? Jim Jones predicted the same thing and they all killed themselves before it was suppose to happen.

Chrysaetos 20-05-2011 06:55 PM

This is good for your daughter..
Why..? Because she will learn that the world won't end. She'll become more sceptical the next time, and less scared/not scared.. hopefully! :smile:

Squatchit 20-05-2011 08:10 PM

Isn't it already May 21st for our Australian friends?

If so and you're up early, let us know you are still around. :wink:

Squatch

Prokopton 20-05-2011 08:11 PM

This again?

For goodness' sake.

Is this kool-aid cult? No, kool-aid cults have more substance than this.

Squatchit 20-05-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prokopton
This again?

For goodness' sake.

Is this kool-aid cult? No, kool-aid cults have more substance than this.

Yeah, there's been a few threads recently. Obviously because it's tomorrow (or today) depending on where you live.

I find it amazing that someone has been able to put billboards all over America - that wouldn't happen in this country (UK). You'd have to apply to all the local councils first and it would take months of negotiation...:tongue:

Prokopton 20-05-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

I find it amazing that someone has been able to put billboards all over America - that wouldn't happen in this country (UK). You'd have to apply to all the local councils first and it would take months of negotiation...

I agree!

In my mind I assume little amateur posters was what it really meant... if it's actual billboards, these are some very well-funded people!

innerlight 20-05-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squatchit
Yeah, there's been a few threads recently. Obviously because it's tomorrow (or today) depending on where you live.

I find it amazing that someone has been able to put billboards all over America - that wouldn't happen in this country (UK). You'd have to apply to all the local councils first and it would take months of negotiation...:tongue:

I was really surprised and shocked that their are billboards that have this. That someone would allow the billboards to be put up... Then I thought it could be possible that the owners of the billboards believe it to be true.

Squatchit 20-05-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by innerlight
Then I thought it could be possible that the owners of the billboards believe it to be true.

Good point...but all over America? I can understand it in one town/city but 'around the US' (as Coming2 mentioned) seems an awful huge expanse of land.

Admittedly I'm not familiar with billboards and the owning/advertising of them, but I would have thought the advertising space is owned by the state.

Maybe I'll shut up now because I'll only continue assuming...:tongue:

EDIT - and there are only a few more hours to go before it's debunked...or true.

Enya 20-05-2011 09:24 PM

Sigh... well, I have lots of work to do tomorrow and get some paintings to sell, so please cancel it... :D

innerlight 20-05-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Good point...but all over America? I can understand it in one town/city but 'around the US' (as Coming2 mentioned) seems an awful huge expanse of land.

Admittedly I'm not familiar with billboards and the owning/advertising of them, but I would have thought the advertising space is owned by the state.

Maybe I'll shut up now because I'll only continue assuming...:tongue:

EDIT - and there are only a few more hours to go before it's debunked...or true.

Well in this economy money talks. So if the price is right I guess they will put whatever on a billboard. Even one that says the bible guarantees it.

Harold Camping says there is no Plan B... So what happens when it doesn't happen? Harold Camping will, no doubt, be eaten alive, criticized, and torn apart. Let alone all those that do beleive what he is saying. Those that have no doubt donated money to his cause.

AmethystDawn 20-05-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Not forgetting District Councils then County Councils before it gets to the Locals. Thereafter it would get referred to Parish councils as something like this would be out of their respective jurisdiction on religious grounds :icon_eek:

Reminds me of those blokes who used to wear Sandwich boards in town centres proclaiming 'The End Is Nigh'

Seriously though I'm sorry the op's daughter was upset by this thoughtless idiocy.

psychoslice 20-05-2011 09:31 PM

Yes it the 21st here in Australia and nothing is happening, dam I'm all packed and no where to go.:icon_frown:

Enya 20-05-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoslice
Yes it the 21st here in Australia and nothing is happening, dam I'm all packed and no where to go.:icon_frown:

LOL! :D :D :D

Mind's Eye 20-05-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Isn't it already May 21st for our Australian friends?

If so and you're up early, let us know you are still around. :wink:

Squatch

Great point.. But then I suppose that everything hinges on American time, you know, this great Godly nation founded by God himself to have a Nation that would be obedient to him and preach the gospel to the world..... I'm sure that's the answer to the time zone problem... Riiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Squatchit 20-05-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Harold Camping says there is no Plan B...

I find this more interesting. That a person would put themselves on the line (knowing the fallout).

Like you say, especially those that have given him money. No wait, why would you give money to him when it's all over today? What would he want money for? Am I missing something? Has he been around for years?

I tend to come into these threads because I am slightly fascinated as to why one of us (the human race) does this kind of thing. It's so 'out there' and exposed. I wonder if they are not totally rational. Mentally. And don't really appreciate or understand the side effects of being wrong.

Mind's Eye 20-05-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Well in this economy money talks. So if the price is right I guess they will put whatever on a billboard. Even one that says the bible guarantees it.

Harold Camping says there is no Plan B... So what happens when it doesn't happen? Harold Camping will, no doubt, be eaten alive, criticized, and torn apart.

The sad thing about it is that whatever lame excuse camping comes up with as to why it didn't happen, his blind followers will still follow him like a modern day messiah.

The scary side; Camping has been wrong before, so what will he do this time when it all proves to be false? Will he spiritualize the whole thing somehow and lead his followers in a suicide mission like Heaven's Gate? It is a bit creepy when you think of how this could turn out for this group.

Squatchit 20-05-2011 10:03 PM

I have 56 minutes to go.

What to do...what to do...

Chrysaetos 20-05-2011 10:05 PM

I have no idea what kind of 'end of the world' scenario they came up with.. but an asteroid would be spotted long before it would hit.
Don't know what other ideas are possible.. maybe some sorcerers channelling a dark lord or something..:rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mind's Eye
Great point.. But then I suppose that everything hinges on American time, you know, this great Godly nation founded by God himself to have a Nation that would be obedient to him and preach the gospel to the world..... I'm sure that's the answer to the time zone problem... Riiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

You are right.. we have to wait until America wakes up! :smile: Then the LORD will reveal :D

Mind's Eye 20-05-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
I have no idea what kind of 'end of the world' scenario they came up with.. but an asteroid would be spotted long before it would hit.
Don't know what other ideas are possible.. maybe some sorcerers channelling a dark lord or something..:rolleyes:
You are right.. we have to wait until America wakes up! :smile: Then the LORD will reveal :D

The Lord just spoke to me and said that it is thus.... How could camping have missed this vital part of the prophecy.

Squatchit 20-05-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysaetos

GO America!!!

Come on...hurry up. We're nearly on 21st. The rest of us eastwise has been there, done it and got the t-shirt. You're so old hat. :rolleyes:

Dilchannan 20-05-2011 10:15 PM

Supposed to happen at 6pm May 21st EST. Than for 5 months it will be basically hell fire and brimstone on earth..LOL We are having a party for it..Don't need to many excuses to throw a party hehehe.

Prokopton 20-05-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dilchannan
Than for 5 months it will be basically hell fire and brimstone on earth

... then light refreshments and a summary of the news?

innerlight 20-05-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

I find this more interesting. That a person would put themselves on the line (knowing the fallout).

Like you say, especially those that have given him money. No wait, why would you give money to him when it's all over today? What would he want money for? Am I missing something? Has he been around for years?

I tend to come into these threads because I am slightly fascinated as to why one of us (the human race) does this kind of thing. It's so 'out there' and exposed. I wonder if they are not totally rational. Mentally. And don't really appreciate or understand the side effects of being wrong.

I guess they either thought they wouldn't need the money, or felt it was their duty to help spread the word. It's interesting that Camping has made two predictions in his life. The first one did not come true. The second one is pending. Yet, people believe that he will be right this time.

Why do they follow it you ask? Because they want to, or even need to. They want to believe that such a place as their "heaven" exists and they want to get there. They see this life as being so hard, or cruel, that they want to get out of it anyway possible, and only know of this way. They only have one concept of "heaven" and know there is only one way into it. So they put all their hope into this actually happening.

SeekingTheShift 20-05-2011 11:50 PM

The Big Day…

Okay, I did a quick search on 5-21-2011. So far I have found only one worthy of sharing a link with

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...le=21_Our_Milk

and it got me thinking…

** I spoke with the Creator a little while ago and was told I could file for an extension.

** Can I opt to be put on the Left Behind list?

** Since I have a five month time slot to work with… I can make my own hand basket!

Hugs, hope and blessings.

forevergirl 21-05-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dilchannan
Supposed to happen at 6pm May 21st EST. Than for 5 months it will be basically hell fire and brimstone on earth..LOL We are having a party for it..Don't need to many excuses to throw a party hehehe.

Someone said party??!!:hug: :D

psychoslice 21-05-2011 01:24 AM

I wonder when the next date is going to be set at, oh well another laugh wont go astray.:D

Xan 21-05-2011 02:40 AM

This guy Harold Camping has made Lots of bucks with his radio station and those other lucrative ventures. No doubt he will be holding all the account numbers just in case his true belief fails.

Xan

nightowl 21-05-2011 03:59 AM

Still here...:D

nightowl

Trace 21-05-2011 08:33 AM

hello from downunder....we are still alive lol :-)

AmethystDawn 21-05-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan
This guy Harold Camping has made Lots of bucks with his radio station and those other lucrative ventures. No doubt he will be holding all the account numbers just in case his true belief fails.

Xan

I guess if he really believed it he would give it all away prior to the event, there again if we're all doomed, what's the point, or does he have a bunker somewhere, there again he is 89 years old

Come the hour of doom I sincerely hope that everyone plays R.E.M.'s 'It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine) :D

I'm playing it now and I hope it catches on

Xan 21-05-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmethystDawn
Come the hour of doom I sincerely hope that everyone plays R.E.M.'s 'It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine) :D

I'm playing it now and I hope it catches on

Yes... I especially like the "... as we know it" part. :wink:

Xan

Glenn 21-05-2011 11:21 PM

22.05.2011, 01:20hrs (as I'm typing) and checking in. Business as usual. :cool:

...Pandora... 21-05-2011 11:26 PM

In the words of spongebob squarepants, I'mmmmmmmm ready,... Beam me up J.C.! :D well.... there's always the next doom and gloom Apocalypse.

unruhig 22-05-2011 01:11 AM

9,10 pm still here in Canada

peace to all

northstar 22-05-2011 11:59 AM

it's time to be adults now... be nice

Mathew James 22-05-2011 12:08 PM

hang on, harry is recalculating another date

mj

AngelBreeze 22-05-2011 06:14 PM

¤ The Hour Hath Not Yet Cometh ¤

There is no one but God thus, His Son Jesus Christ who truly knows the day and hour of the return of Jesus. Others can speculate and perhaps it makes for some excitement but the fact remains that man has not been given this piece of most important information. That is solely under God's purview.

Deus tecum, (\o/) AngelBreeze (\o/)

"For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an anti-Christ." -- II JOHN 1:7 (KJV)

"Jesus saith unto him, I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me." -- JOHN 14:6 (KJV)

Triner 22-05-2011 08:33 PM

Worst.Rapture.Ever

Enya 22-05-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triner
Worst.Rapture.Ever

Bwwwahhhahhhhaaa!!! :D :D :D

Scibat 23-05-2011 12:04 AM

It was my Birthday and pretty much sucked. So the Rapture would have been an improvement. :icon_frown: