Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Meditation (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Meditation and fasting (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133541)

ThatMan 20-01-2020 08:57 PM

Meditation and fasting

So I did an experiment today, after doing some research about this subject, the results where not conclusive, I guess you really need to have some experience with fasting so that you would not suffer from the side effects and not be able to meditate at all. Anyway, 46 minutes of meditation passed like seconds to me ( like in a blink of an eye ), I experienced the hypnagogic state again and again, my body had some really powerful spontaneous movements, it jumped in the air ( now I was able to have a better experience with this, so it feels like you are returning back into your body, that's why the physical body jumps ), my hands and my feets were moving, my fingers also, the entire session of meditation was like 10 times more intense than usual. I experienced a deep state of peace and silence were there were no thoughts. I saw many images and heard many voices while in the hypnagogic state, something usual form me, but not this intense, this was intense.

These are the results of just one day water fast, imagine what can I achieve if I continue this, but it's enough for now.

iamthat 20-01-2020 11:36 PM

Indeed, it is difficult to meditate effectively on a full stomach because the process of digestion requires energy and keeps us more aware of the body. The less we eat, the lighter the body is, so in theory meditation becomes easier. Of course, there is a balance - if the body is extremely hungry then it is hard to ignore it.

You mention the side effects of fasting. Apart from the obvious effect of feeling hungry, fasting also helps the body to release toxins, and these effects normally become apparent on the second day. So we may feel tired, nauseous, headaches, etc. These are nothing to worry about - it is just the release of toxins. But we may feel very lethargic with no energy to do anything. By the fourth or fifth day we enter a new stage where we feel plenty of energy and we no longer feel physically hungry. The challenge may be more mental - we miss the sensations of taste and thoughts of particular foods may be dominant, even though the body is not that hungry. Just drink plenty of water to keep flushing the body.

Peace

God-Like 21-01-2020 07:15 AM

One requires a sound mind to begin fasting .

You see my mum fasted on and off for many, many years and in a way at a certain stage the universal energy nourishes the mind body for use of a better word .

There is a sacrifice to certain degrees because not eating enough for many years takes it's toll but like said the sound mind is needed .

My mum did meditation and yoga day and night and it became second nature to her .

You don't eat much because the states of mind entertained rises above certain aspects of the physical self so it feels as if I am so much more than the flesh .

The physical becomes less important or less focussed upon so there is a natural reflection had of the higher states .

What can become dangerous for use of a better word is if there isn't a natural reflection had and one fast's with the mind focussed on fasting .

Peeps can do yoga and meditation and fast for years on end and be out of alignment with their mind-body-heart-soul ..

There has to be union in regards to these self aspects .

x daz x

JustASimpleGuy 21-01-2020 12:02 PM

Fasting - I fast for gut health, ketosis and autophagy. Once a week I do a 24 - 28 hour fast. After a four week workout cycle I do a roughly 36 hour fast and a week of focused light duty and low intensity workout.

Meditation - Full or empty stomach are no more or less than any other distraction or obstacle to meditation, meaning they aren't distractions or obstacles to meditation, nor are they enhancements. Anything introduced into a meditation practice other than the technique itself is a fabrication of mind and hence detrimental to its purpose.

ThatMan 21-01-2020 02:48 PM

@iamthat I have years of experience when it comes to fasting, I used to fast even when I was just a child, my desire for that peace that never goes away pushed me this far. As I said, my meditation was so much deeper than the usual.

@God-Like Your mom was/is blessed to be aware of fasting and meditation, I believe one has to be at a certain spiritual "level" to be able to feel attracted to fasting and meditation, as I said in my words above, I used to fast from a very young age.

@JustASimpleGuy Yes, ketosis, you get super energy from this process. From my own experience, you can meditate at any time and in any situation, I already tried this and I achived deep states of meditation, but once again, from my own experience, last night my meditation was so so much deeper and intense, it's like you get closer to the spiritual world, Moses fasted, Christ fasted, even Buddha fasted.

lomax 21-01-2020 02:51 PM

Fasting can raise your vibrations.It's not a secret anymore.Not to mention that you get rid of the toxins.It worths the effort,but it requires willpower.

ThatMan 21-01-2020 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lomax
Fasting can raise your vibrations.It's not a secret anymore.Not to mention that you get rid of the toxins.It worths the effort,but it requires willpower.

So this raise in vibrations stays with you even after you stop fasting or it's just something that appears while you fast?

I am doing it again today, it was difficult to start, but now it's so so much easier and as I said, I have years of experience with this.

Altair 21-01-2020 04:25 PM

Long fasts mess up your body though and give hallucinations and delusions. I'd be careful with any conclusions and experiences that occur, it could well be not a sign of spiritual growth. I've read a lot on it recently. There have been religious figures throughout history that deprived themselves of food, pleasure, and even sleep, all with the aim of ''getting closer to God/divinity/soul'' but what religion tends to ignore is that deprivation often means decline of health and deprivation can lead to hallucination.

I've done short fasts and I thought it was interesting, but anything beyond the two days already is probably risky. Got to take good care of our body, keep it healthy.

iamthat 21-01-2020 04:38 PM

I've done fasts of various lengths up to three weeks. I had no issues with hallucinations or delusions. After the first few days my body felt clear and light, and doing hatha yoga was so much easier.

Peace

JustASimpleGuy 21-01-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altair
Long fasts mess up your body though and give hallucinations and delusions. I'd be careful with any conclusions and experiences that occur, it could well be not a sign of spiritual growth. I've read a lot on it recently. There have been religious figures throughout history that deprived themselves of food, pleasure, and even sleep, all with the aim of ''getting closer to God/divinity/soul'' but what religion tends to ignore is that deprivation often means decline of health and deprivation can lead to hallucination.

I've done short fasts and I thought it was interesting, but anything beyond the two days already is probably risky. Got to take good care of our body, keep it healthy.

Generally speaking 36-48 hours is the most one should attempt without supervision or guidance. Many fitness enthusiasts say 36 hours is ideal as it's not going to eat away at muscle mass and it's deep into ketosis and autophagy. If one wants to give autophagy a boost have a workout planned towards the end of the fast. Another thing to keep in mind is electrolytes, particularly sodium. One half cup of water with half a teaspoon of baking soda twice a day is enough for short fasts (not greater than 48 hours).

Another thing to consider is coming off a fast. I find a good way is a cup of bone broth with about 10 grams of good quality beef gelatin (not Jello gelatin!!!) followed a half hour later by something more substantial but easily digested like a small serving of fish or eggs. I then wait another half hour or so to eat a bigger meal with more variety.