Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Buddhism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   What interested you in Buddhism? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130203)

heartsound 30-06-2019 10:29 PM

What interested you in Buddhism?

why did buddhism become your preferred study?

sky 01-07-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartsound
why did buddhism become your preferred study?

Because it doesn't need ' Blind Faith ' just personal experiences to help you along the Path :smile:

Sober2001 02-07-2019 11:23 AM

Its one of many I like to practice. I like the idea of ending human suffering

Gem 03-07-2019 01:33 AM

Practical applications.

WhiteGull 04-07-2019 03:01 AM

It's logical.

django 04-07-2019 11:02 AM

It's not :) Would you like to know why not?

sky 04-07-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteGull
It's logical.

More logical that the Abrahamic Religions :smile:

Unseeking Seeker 04-07-2019 03:42 PM

One key distinguishing factor I’ve observed in those who practice Buddhism is that they pray for healing for others ... strangers even with full commitment & resolve. Kosen-Rofu. In the case of other religions, the boons requested are usually for oneself only and in most cases for transient worldly goals.

As SGI President Ikeda explains it: “Kosen means ‘to widely declare.’ Widely implies speaking out to the world, to an ever-greater number and ever-broader spectrum of people. Declare means ‘to proclaim one’s ideals, principles and philosophy.’ The ru of rufu means ‘a current like that of a great river.’ And fu means ‘to spread out like a roll of cloth.’

“The teaching of the Mystic Law has nothing to do with appearance, form or pride. It flows out freely to all humanity the world over. Like a cloth unfolding, it spreads out and covers all. So rufu means ‘to flow freely, to reach all.’

Of course there would be other Buddhist streams ... I profess no knowledge about Buddhism, speaking only from what I see around.

sky 04-07-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker

One key distinguishing factor I’ve observed in those who practice Buddhism is that they pray for healing for others ... strangers even with full commitment & resolve. Kosen-Rofu. In the case of other religions, the boons requested are usually for oneself only and in most cases for transient worldly goals.

As SGI President Ikeda explains it: “Kosen means ‘to widely declare.’ Widely implies speaking out to the world, to an ever-greater number and ever-broader spectrum of people. Declare means ‘to proclaim one’s ideals, principles and philosophy.’ The ru of rufu means ‘a current like that of a great river.’ And fu means ‘to spread out like a roll of cloth.’

“The teaching of the Mystic Law has nothing to do with appearance, form or pride. It flows out freely to all humanity the world over. Like a cloth unfolding, it spreads out and covers all. So rufu means ‘to flow freely, to reach all.’

Of course there would be other Buddhist streams ... I profess no knowledge about Buddhism, speaking only from what I see around.

'One key distinguishing factor I’ve observed in those who practice Buddhism is that they pray for healing for others'

It depends on what you mean by prayer.

Unseeking Seeker 04-07-2019 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky123
'One key distinguishing factor I’ve observed in those who practice Buddhism is that they pray for healing for others'

It depends on what you mean by prayer.

Of course but even if we take prayer as an entreaty, a loving outpouring ... The Buddhists I know specially chant for healing problems in others. Leaving aside the efficacy, the thought itself and devoting energy towards that end is laudable.