Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritual Development (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   The Inner Sound Current (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3703)

Xan 02-10-2010 04:10 AM

The Inner Sound Current

THE INNER SOUND CURRENT

“The knower of the mystery of the Sound knows the mystery of the whole Universe.”

- Hazrat Inayat Khan

Sound is the most primal expression of energy in all forms and in all dimensions.

The universe consists of energy waves or currents or vibrations which we may perceive as sound frequencies. These move from the highest spiritual creative planes, to the lower mental planes, down to the densest material planes.

Just as sound vibrations descend in creation and manifestation of the lower worlds, we may also follow them upward into the higher spiritual dimensions of consciousness.

In spiritual practices - called Shabda or Nada-Yoga or Listening to the Inner Sound Current - one focuses their attention on these non-physical sounds which have spiritually transforming power. Our disturbed and distorted human energies and perceptions gradually become harmonized, aligned and balanced and our consciousness expands.

These non-physical sounds sometimes occur spontaneously during early stages of out-of-body experiences, along with feeling vibrations or seeing light visions. In addition one may listen to the sounds as a meditation practice.

Hearing non-physical sounds is related to the Third Eye, which can see non-physical light and color, and has intuitive sensing beyond the reasoning mind.

Most often we begin by hearing these non-physical sounds in the right ear, so paying attention there assists us in noticing them. They may sound like ringing or buzzing tones, or sounds of nature, or bells, or violins, flutes or horns, or wind, ocean waves or thunder, or rarely the "Om". At advanced levels various sounds and ranges may be heard simultaneously.

Just relax and listen...

An excellent, clearly written book on the subject is "The Ringing Sound" by Erik Gustafson.

Xan

Xan 02-10-2010 04:13 AM

Inner Sound Meditation

Our attention easily becomes absorbed in sound. This is why we all enjoy listening to music... when the mind is fully concentrated on anything there arises a feeling of inner calm. Inner listening practice gets away from the struggle to stop our excessively thinking mind.

A few years ago I began a daily practice of paying attention in the inner sound current along with my breathing. I found it easily drew me more deeply within, and further yet into the boundless Silence... and my spiritual progress quickened considerably.

As you go on you may begin to feel the sound vibrations subtly in various areas of your body and energy systems, which is a deepening of your awareness.

One spiritual master says...

Sound vibrates within all life and sustains the whole universe. It is all-powerful and all Love.

It is because we are made of this Sound that contact with it brings peace and contentment to our hearts. These inner tones can heal all wounds, fulfill all desires and quench all worldly thirst.

After listening to this Sound for some time our whole being is changed; our entire outlook on life is greatly altered for the better.

blessings,
Xan

Xan 02-10-2010 04:16 AM

Frequency + Intention = Healing

Intention motivates energy direction. While listening to the nonphysical sound current, or while chanting pure "sacred" sounds and mantras, one's clear intention along with the power of sound frequencies has penetrating effects.

Chanting high frequency sounds such as harmonics or overtones charges the cortex of the brain and stimulates health and wellness. These are found in many shamanic and mystical traditions, particularly Tibetan Buddhism and Mongolian Shamanism. Listening to recordings of these highly skilled chanters can be a transformational practice. Solfeggio tones may have a similar effect.

Many of the sacred rhythms of certain aboriginal cultures employ at their center the beating of the heart which we may entrain and match by hearing and feeling our own heart beat. The poly-rhythmic sounds of the primal music of Native American, African, Balinese and many other cultures can put us into a creative, visionary, 'dreaming true', alpha or theta trance state.

Toning is the practice of allowing one's voice to express fully and spontaneously through a range of non-verbal vowel tones. Through these sounds an extraordinary resonance occurs in the body and brain for physical healing and emotional well-being. When one focuses in becoming one with the tones, the results for elevated consciousness are extraordinary.

Xan

Xan 28-10-2010 12:15 AM

bringing this up...

DulcePoetica 28-10-2010 04:49 PM

This is something I have actually been thinking about lately. I feel a great curiosity about what might happen if I began vocalizing during my meditation. I have been learning about the chakras, and many schools of thought associate a musical note with each chakra. Is this tonal association metaphorical, or is there a science behind it?

I'm curious if humming a certain pitch might provide extra support to chakra balancing endeavors.

I'd really like to learn more about it, do you know where I might find more specifics?

Xan 30-10-2010 10:07 PM

Ah yes, Dulce... There's quite a lot around now about sound healing and energy work. Jonathan Goldman is one to look into, and there are many other books and CD's available on the subject.

Xan

Racer X 01-11-2010 02:20 PM

I thought it was coming from my engine but my ignition was off.

lol~

Yes.......

The Ringing Sound by Eric Gustafson is a book which those who hear it, should read it.

steph45 01-11-2010 03:04 PM

Thanks have ordered this book off amazon....it as mixed reviews so will read it myself & see what this chap as to say on the subject :rolleyes:

Xan 01-11-2010 10:27 PM

Yes Racer... Gustafson's book is excellent.

Steph... The sound and vibrations you experience are non-physical energies within and around us. They are always going on, yet we only begin to notice them as we become more aware in spiritual awakening.

Although understanding is helpful in the beginning - and reading that book will help - the real benefit comes from simply listening to the sounds and feeling the vibrations... with conscious breathing. Since I began this inner listening practice my spiritual progress has sped up, and I keep discovering more subtle spiritual vibrations and feelings.

Here's a simple meditation practice that takes one beyond the chattering mind and into the quietness within: Three Steps into your true nature - http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3680

Xan

steph45 03-11-2010 08:06 AM

I came across this book......"The Audible Life Stream"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audible-Life...8770489&sr=8-1

And this...

http://soundcurrentrider.com/SoundCurrent.html

Miss Hepburn 04-11-2010 02:37 PM

Too funny.
It's Nov 4, this thread was started Oct 1 and I've just stumbled across it after I told Shabda that I would start a thread on the Divine Sound
Current AND I told him about Eric G's excellent book "The Ringing Sound" !!
Too funny.

It's all because he chose that name, Shabda.

Now, not to rock the boat - you all know that the Divine Sound Current is different than Sat Nam, Sat Naam, the Holy Name ?

There is Divine Harmony, Music of the Spheres, Celestial Music, the Sound Current...
and then there is the the Holy Name of God, Sat Nam, Shabd, Naam or the Word-different -and yet, the same. Ha!
It might be compared to there's God the Father, yet the Holy Spirit - it's probably a needless distinction.
You have the inside of the glass, the outside of the glass - but it's still the same glass.

Then you have the Tao ---ha! :)
There is the Primordial Vibration; is that the Sound Current? Is it different than the Name of God, the Shabd Brahm?
Yes. But all the same glass! Ha!

Then you have Aum, Om -now is that trying to imitate the Word or Naam...
Or is it imitating the Sound Current as best it can?

All more for us to share about ---it's all good!
:smile: Miss Hepburn

Shabda 04-11-2010 05:10 PM

a wonderful thread~! i like it~!

Xan 04-11-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Now, not to rock the boat - you all know that the Divine Sound Current is different than Sat Nam, Sat Naam, the Holy Name ?

There is Divine Harmony, Music of the Spheres, Celestial Music, the Sound Current...
and then there is the the Holy Name of God, Sat Nam, Shabd, Naam or the Word-different -and yet, the same. Ha!
It might be compared to there's God the Father, yet the Holy Spirit - it's probably a needless distinction.
You have the inside of the glass, the outside of the glass - but it's still the same glass.

Then you have the Tao ---ha! :)
There is the Primordial Vibration; is that the Sound Current? Is it different than the Name of God, the Shabd Brahm?
Yes. But all the same glass! Ha!

Then you have Aum, Om - now is that trying to imitate the Word or Naam...
Or is it imitating the Sound Current as best it can?

All more for us to share about ---it's all good!

ahhh Miss H.... Boat rocking is fine.

In my experience there is quite a range of non-physical sounds, tones and vibrations which I don't attempt to identify but simply listen to and feel them as they come to me. I have heard the wordless Om, and I consider all sounds (and indeed all forms in creation, physical and nonphysical) emanations and variations of the original creative force of pure sound.

I'd like to know how you are distinguishing between the Sound Current and the Divine Sound or Sat Nam, and what benefit you get from the distinction.

Xan

Xan 04-11-2010 07:40 PM

I am now re-reading a great little book by Jonathan Goldman called "The Roar of Silence". This is about the power of consciously using sound of various kinds (not the inner sounds) particularly one's own voice, for balancing and harmonizing our energies and our brain, for healing and for awakening consciousness.

I recommend it for its clear explanations, meditations and exercises for developing a new, higher level relationship with the power of sound
vibrations.

Edit: Oops, my mistake. The book is by Don Campbell. Both Goldman and Campbell are well experienced researchers and teachers in the field of sound energies.

Xan

Xan 17-12-2010 02:12 AM

bringing this up....

Ciqala 27-12-2010 01:51 AM

This is amazing... thanks for giving me the link Xan. I am very connected to sounds and music for meditation and everything, but i had no idea about the ringing sounds in my head.
Edit: I will try to embrace the sound waves, but they can become so intense it threatens me, is it normal for them to be that loud, and cause a weird pressure?

Xan 24-01-2011 06:31 AM

I will try to embrace the sound waves, but they can become so intense it threatens me, is it normal for them to be that loud, and cause a weird pressure?

I'm sorry about the delay in my response, Cigala, but I am away from home these days.

When the sounds are too intense it's because there's resistance or effort or trying in our minds... conscious or unconscious.

I suggest, rather than 'trying to embrace' them simply breathe down in your belly, relax and listen.

Xan

Swami Chihuahuananda 24-01-2011 07:46 AM

back when I was a kid I did lsd and I would hear strange noises , like synthesizers and cicadas , but I never thought much about it , I just assumed that it was part of the hallucinatory experience . Since I was not very evolved at 14 , I didn't get the full, in-your-face , cosmic baptism that happens to some with those drugs . But I did start my path , with a Krishna book, and then a guru from India. One of the techniques he taught was to listen to the inner sounds , and I immediately knew what those sounds I heard on drugs were, or at least I knew that I had been opened up to hearing them, because hear them I did.

I've talked about this elsewhere, so I may be brief here, but I have to say that these sounds are as vital to me as just about anything. Since I did the guru thing almost 40 years ago, the sound has gotten to the point that some ring tones (yuk yuk ) are audible all the time, and rather loud if it's quiet. But there are many more sounds than just tones. There are winds and waters and a whole universe of tones, timbres , frequencies, resonances . It is, in a word, limitless. In a post in the Dream section here, I wrote a little bit about a dream where , as I was falling asleep, I was pulled into a mighty , practically explosive , current of sound energy , and I have other such times where the sound is not just sound , but fully immersive energy .

I should also mention our later work with channeled ET walk-ins, who introduced us to 'toning' , which is vocalizing focused bursts of sound . I have had many dreams where the toning and the sounds I'm hearing are all intertwined in energy. This was in the early 90's , and they helped wean me off of the guru cult and away from all external authorities and groups (in spiritual matters). That was very important (tangent...) , and around then is when I started having transcendent dreams , with inner sounds being involved ).So listening to small sounds when you plug your ears or lie down (or whatever) while it's quiet, is just the beginning .

Particularly enjoyable is that brief threshold before sleep, or if one is good at mind control with meditation (not exactly my specialty ) . Sometimes I can listen and hear a tone that's far off at first, then it zooms up and resonates and feeds back on itself and others , and grows louder and louder... impossible to describe , and no earthly music or sound can duplicate the effect.

That's what it leads us to , that these sounds are vibrating on a more subtle level than common sound waves vibrating the air, and our eardrums in turn , being translated by our brains to sound. These sounds are the original vibrations, while all earthly sounds are a kind of lower-level representation .
"As above , so below", the saying goes ; the Hermetic Principle of Correspondence (but that's a whole other section). Point being that we live in multidimensional overlap , and the sounds (for me) are a direct , always-open doorway to other parts of my existence . Jeez, I always have a hard time not going off on tangents ! (^8. I could go on and on, but don't have time right now .

Later,

Dar

Emmalevine 24-01-2011 08:38 AM

I've been experiencing buzzing, whistling and hissing for the last few weeks but lately it's starting to turn into muffled voices amidst white noise.

I think perhaps I started hearing the sound current but now I'm tuning into those in spirit or the astral?

Very interesting anyhow. I will have to look out for that book.

Miss Hepburn 24-01-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan

In my experience there is quite a range of non-physical sounds, tones and vibrations which I don't attempt to identify but simply listen to and feel them as they come to me. I have heard the wordless Om, and I consider all sounds (and indeed all forms in creation, physical and nonphysical) emanations and variations of the original creative force of pure sound. Me, too.

I'd like to know how you are distinguishing between the Sound Current and the Divine Sound or Sat Nam, and what benefit you get from the distinction.
Xan

I'm sorry Xan, I must have missed this post of yours!

Gee, the Sat Nam or Naam or the Word compared to the wordless Om - and then let's not forget the Light!!! Kind of are all the same - like merging
into each other! (Kinda like the concept of the Trinity maybe, LOL)
The Om vibration that is the power or motor behind the breath - like a purring in the body --- merges with the Sound Current or Ringing Sound or
Music of the Spheres (as in Eric Gustafson's book "The Ringing Sound) and is also part of the Light ...go figure.
:smile:

All, the best way I could describe my experience, only.
I'm no authority and anyone's experience of it all I respect and learn from.
Nice talking w/ you again Xan - I haven't bumped into you lately.

Shabda 24-01-2011 06:39 PM

there is the Dhunatmik, the original Divine Sound, that which emnates from the Godhead, and there is the Varnatmik which exists on the lower planes, which is an echo of the Original Sound....the Varnatmik may be spoken, the Dhunatmik may not...higher and lower sounds, but all issuing from the same place, the same source, and all can lead one to their true home...

Miss Hepburn 24-01-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabda
there is the Dhunatmik, the original Divine Sound, that which emnates from the Godhead, and there is the Varnatmik which exists on the lower planes, which is an echo of the Original Sound....the Varnatmik may be spoken, the Dhunatmik may not...higher and lower sounds, but all issuing from the same place, the same source, and all can lead one to their true home...

Interesting, Shabda. :smile:

Shabda 24-01-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Interesting, Shabda. :smile:

the Original "Word" is sometimes called the Shabda Dhun~! :D

Miss Hepburn 24-01-2011 08:20 PM

I call it my life jacket.

http://www.atomdoers.org/Dhun-About.html

Shabda 24-01-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

I call it my life jacket.

http://www.atomdoers.org/Dhun-About.html

ahhh Dhunami...

Xan 25-01-2011 08:52 AM

Shabda: there is the Dhunatmik, the original Divine Sound, that which emnates from the Godhead, and there is the Varnatmik which exists on the lower planes, which is an echo of the Original Sound....the Varnatmik may be spoken, the Dhunatmik may not...higher and lower sounds, but all issuing from the same place, the same source, and all can lead one to their true home...

This is good information, Shabda. Thank you.

Of course the practice is simply to listen to whatever sounds show up for you, although some say that listening more to higher tones raises consciousness faster.

Xan

Shabda 25-01-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan
Shabda: there is the Dhunatmik, the original Divine Sound, that which emnates from the Godhead, and there is the Varnatmik which exists on the lower planes, which is an echo of the Original Sound....the Varnatmik may be spoken, the Dhunatmik may not...higher and lower sounds, but all issuing from the same place, the same source, and all can lead one to their true home...

This is good information, Shabda. Thank you.

Of course the practice is simply to listen to whatever sounds show up for you, although some say that listening more to higher tones raises consciousness faster.

Xan

yes there is no prejudice between one sound or another, any part of this Sound Current will take one higher up and further in...

chinu 29-01-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Its Ok shabda ji, Am agreed, infact hearing this dhunatmik "Word" or "Anahad" or "Nida" or "Bange asmani" or "Naam" or "Shabd" or "Voice of silence" etc... is one and the only way to Salvation.

But coming strait to the point, Do you hear anything inside ? :smile:

_/\_
Chinu

Shabda 29-01-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinu
Its Ok shabda ji, Am agreed, infact hearing this dhunatmik "Word" or "Anahad" or "Nida" or "Bange asmani" or "Naam" or "Shabd" or "Voice of silence" etc... is one and the only way to Salvation.

_/\_
Chinu

yes..........

Miss Hepburn 29-01-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

_/\_
Chinu

I know this is between you 2 -but as I said yesterday on a similar thread on silence --I never have silence - not in a sound proof room .....with earplugs ---I'll even add with those headphone mufflers on top.

There are always layers and layers of harmonies. When focused on for an amount of time - those harmonies can lead to so many things ----my God, whole melodies on any instrument!
I've actually played a sweet acoustic melody on a guitar -exactly how I heard it inside -after 45 minutes of listening and it unfolding within me.

O, the stories I could tell about music inside. Bassoons like freight cars ... gardens opening - meeting friends ... then months later (in a different city) them saying as we are embracing hello---"We often meet in the garden..." Acknowledging - it was not my imagination.

There is an inner world I wish all were more privvy to.

Hi Shabda. :hug:
:love9:

Xan 02-02-2011 09:49 AM

All sound takes place within the infinite silence.. the stillness. With a slight shift in awareness you can hear the sound and the silence beyond it together.

Like they say, it's the space between the notes that makes music. It's the silent context of non-physical sounds that causes them to arise.

Xan

Xan 02-02-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

...Am agreed, infact hearing this dhunatmik "Word" or "Anahad" or "Nida" or "Bange asmani" or "Naam" or "Shabd" or "Voice of silence" etc... is one and the only way to Salvation. Chinu

Yes... many names for one primal expression of existence.

But "the only way"? Surely you are joking, Chinu.

Xan

Miss Hepburn 02-02-2011 12:33 PM

Chinu, I understand your enthusiasm - I see it like a child with chocolate
ice cream saying, "This is IT! Chocolate is the only way to go!"
But, as an adult talking about salvatioin - it is a polarizing statement.
Meaning you push more people away than inspire them which I know is your intent.

Salvation is a touchy word also.
There is the Christian concept of sin, The Fall of Man, thus the need to saved,
or the Buddhist idea of being "saved" from suffering.

Btw, I agree with you in part - once you have experienced the Word or Naam
it is a Spoke to the Center - but not the only Spoke.

I'd say in your statement we have "only" as an issue and also "Salvation".

Would you reconsider?

Shabda 21-03-2011 11:08 PM

ive been told by a member here that the Sound is only a mental mechanism, doe anyone agree? i ask only because the soul has an eye and an ear, the mind is not required to perceive a sound, it only springs into action from a sight or a sound, imho...

Miss Hepburn 22-03-2011 02:14 AM

Quote:

ive been told by a member here that the Sound is only a mental mechanism, doe anyone agree? i ask only because the soul has an eye and an ear, the mind is not required to perceive a sound, it only springs into action from a sight or a sound, imho...

A mental mechanism?
No, that would not be my personal experience.
It simply "is".

And just like a clock ticking on a wall - we can be in that room 8 hours
and never hear it -
then when someone points it out, it comes into focus and
something in us recognizes it was there all along.

If that helps.shrug.

Xan 22-03-2011 05:14 AM

Quote:

Since the mental function is only a memory mechanism these non-physical sounds cannot be only in the mind. These are "unstruck sounds" that arise unexpectedly and do not imitate physical sounds except by our mental associations with what they sound "like". They are heard through our spiritual senses just as inner light is seen and joy for-no-reason is felt.

Xan

Shabda 22-03-2011 05:25 AM

IMO you both are right, ive been beyond my mind and heard the Sound...It didnt appear to need mind to originate, and i didnt need mind to hear It, but It was there just the same...

God-Like 22-03-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Hi Shabda

I would say that the sound current Is present within and beyond mind . If we concentrate on the eye center In meditation within this focus over time we filter out the so called noise from the sound .

The sound draws our soul back home so to speak (that's when we release our soul from mind) to what we are beyond mind .

x daz x

Xan 22-03-2011 12:43 PM

Yes for sure, daz. We can tell where something comes from by where it takes us. Whatever comes from the mind generates more mind activity. The inner sound current takes us into the subtle realms of spirit.

Xan

BlueSky 22-03-2011 12:49 PM

Hi Xan! It's been a while.
Just wanted to say hello...................
Much love, James