Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Death & The Afterlife (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is anyone else scared of the afterlife (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14320)

lillyj 14-04-2011 10:13 PM

Is anyone else scared of the afterlife

i have studied near death experiences and they are fasinating but still they are all so different it still the unknown that your entering when you die and i would love to believe you are held and guided and that everything that happens to you in this life and beyond is for your highest good but i dont trust that i have a hard time trusting anything!
i think there are dark forces as well as good how can you be sure nothing bad will happen does anyone else worry like i do? after all no one really knows anything do we ?
Its the not knowing that gets me the most i've felt unprotected all my life and bad things have happened to me i am really like a disturbed child living in an adults body with no mother to comfort me and make it ok since this is my life state it will probally carry over and maybe be amplified in my afterlife state

angelleem 14-04-2011 10:19 PM

When I was a child I had many sleepless nights worrying about death, about my family dying and would we ever see each other again, now I just know it is the natural order and without seeming to morbid I'm excited when the time is right of course, its the next adventure, I think it something you may come to be at peace with over time :)

JM80 15-04-2011 12:05 AM

I think most people are scared of the afterlife as most peoples fears are based on the unknown. I am not scared of the afterlife, I am anxious. Either way there is not much we can do about it. Just keep trying to learn and understand as much as you can :)

earthprowler 15-04-2011 12:19 AM

i can't wait to blow this Popsicle stand and go home. :angel8:

Felynx 15-04-2011 12:57 AM

Im completely unafraid to the point of looking forward to the end of my life as much as I do the rest of my life. I know exactly whats going to happen when I die. Ive died so many times already, haha, its nothing new to me.

psychoslice 15-04-2011 01:00 AM

No I'm not scared, there's no after life, there's just life ever flowing.

Felynx 15-04-2011 01:16 AM

Well.... you have a body and then you dont, sure existence doesnt stop, but it sounds like afterlife to me.

nightowl 15-04-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillyj
i have studied near death experiences and they are fasinating but still they are all so different it still the unknown that your entering when you die and i would love to believe you are held and guided and that everything that happens to you in this life and beyond is for your highest good but i dont trust that i have a hard time trusting anything!
i think there are dark forces as well as good how can you be sure nothing bad will happen does anyone else worry like i do? after all no one really knows anything do we ?
Its the not knowing that gets me the most i've felt unprotected all my life and bad things have happened to me i am really like a disturbed child living in an adults body with no mother to comfort me and make it ok since this is my life state it will probally carry over and maybe be amplified in my afterlife state

I don't believe the physical fear you have in this life will carry over. I think it is what you do in spirit that goes with you. For me it is a spiritual realm and therefore does not deal with the same things we deal with in the physical. Maybe think more on nourishing your spirit and it in turn will nourish you here and there. :hug2: Try turning your fear of being unprotected and lack of comforting into giving that to others here the best way to help transform it is to maybe try and give what you lack. I am just babbling now so I will stop...:hug3:

psychoslice 15-04-2011 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felynx
Well.... you have a body and then you dont, sure existence doesnt stop, but it sounds like afterlife to me.

That's the illusion, that's what it wants you to believe, how else would you keep living as a mind body organism.

surrendertotheflow 15-04-2011 02:12 AM

The only thing to fear is fear itself. It is something we learn, not something we are born with. We were born with everlasting eternal love that flows on forever. You are under the assumption that the body you are temporarily residing in will cease to be and so you will cease to be. This is not so. The body will become part of the Earth again, or the winds, depending on your spiritual ceremony for it. But you will finally remember your true form, light, love, consciousness energy, an everlasting piece of the One.

Embrace your fears and transmute them into faith and love and open up your arms to what awaits you!! :)

-Peace, Love, and Light :)

Perspective 15-04-2011 02:33 AM

Quote:

Hi Lilly,
I can almost feel your pain & fear. :hug2:

In the NDEs I've read, it seems that it's based on one's beliefs - yet there always seems to be someone guiding, helping or explaining. I do think that some "attachments" hold people back. So, it's important to keep healing & correcting our thinking, which improves feelings. But I don't think anything outside our own attachments will hold us back or pull us down. I think, after this life, everyone experiences a degree of peace - without many of the concerns we have now.

Your pain & fears worry you about after life, but I think just your realization of them, shows that you will make the most of this! The lack or pain we've experienced - has the potential to turn to abundance & joy! (IE:) The most friendly people I know - have moved around, or don't have generations of family & friends around - so they learn to be open & friendly.

Feeling unprotected all of your life, it makes sense that you fear what's around the corner after death. Not only is that a natural fear most experience, but also, maybe nobody was there to protect & comfort you when you needed it. Yet, you're learning to protect & comfort yourself - studying, experiencing & learning. Eventually, I believe you'll heal & not only feel protected & comforted, but you'll have a depth of compassion to share!

GentleStrength 15-04-2011 08:45 AM

My suggestion would be to do whatever works for you to become happy/content/joyful IN your life which will then help when transitioning back into your spiritual being. Meditation, books, forums, groups of people who come together to support and help each other to find peace within themselves and others.

The more comfortable you are with yourself, the more connected you fell with the creative source, the less apprehension you will feel about returning to the true aspect of your consciousness.

Love and Light :hug2:

Afro7hundr 15-04-2011 09:28 AM

As long as it's something, I don't care what I face beyond the final unknown.

theophilus 15-04-2011 03:47 PM

I used to be very afraid of death because I knew that after death I would face God's judgment and I also knew that I hadn't always obeyed God's commands. For a long time I tried to make up for my failures by living a good life but I was always afraid that I hadn't done enough. My fears ended when I discovered that Jesus Christ had died to pay for my sins and I could be forgiven if I put my faith in him. Here is a good place to learn more about this:

http://www.backtothebible.org/Indexes/index.php?option=com_mosforms&Itemid=180

I am 70 years old so I am constantly aware of the fact that my life could end at any time. When I read the obituaries in the newspaper it isn't unusual to find that most of those who have died are younger than I am. But I don't have any fear of this because I know that I have been forgiven and I am ready to face God.

norseman 15-04-2011 04:09 PM

Theophilus, we are the same age roughly and I have no fear of what waits because I have been there quite a lot. I have memories of lives going back about 2000 years to Roman Britain and I know that old comrades are waiting for me so that we can march off together to wherever. This is the pagan promise of the Eternal Return.

Chrysaetos 15-04-2011 04:15 PM

Hmm are you scared of tomorrow? :smile:

I'm not scared of what happens as my sceptical nature refuses to believe any religious propaganda..
We'll see what the 'afterlife' brings. The only thing I'm scared about is the actual process of dying, not what happens after..

Enya 15-04-2011 10:27 PM

My mother was afraid of what was to come... not long before she died, she told me of an experience she had, where myself and my father were with her and a loving presence came forward and took her hands, showing her what it felt like to 'let go'. She said it was the most beautiful and loving experience she'd ever had and she was no longer frightened of death. She died with a smile on her face... I hope this helps you release that fear. xx

Scibat 15-04-2011 10:37 PM

I'll readily admit I am terrified, not of the afterlife but that there isn't one. My fear is when I die there is non-existence. Yes, I won't be aware of not existing if that is the case -- But that doesn't assuage my fears any. More to the point I have lost almost all of my family, and if non-existence is at the end of life, then all of them are truly gone forever -- And that really scares and upsets me. :icon_frown:

Felynx 16-04-2011 12:47 AM

Scibat, that used to scare me. I hated the idea that when I die there will be NOTHING left; that my energy would dissipate into existence and my consciousness would cease to exist. Thank God that isnt true.

nick61 16-04-2011 01:26 AM

No, Im not scared, because I'll be dead. Any fears and apprehensions are just that, dead. The 'afterlife', for want of a better word, is a completely new existence, one with different priorities and a different consciousness. For one to say it's a happy place, or a sad place is pure folly. A new consciousness will require a new experience for us that we cannot understand. Yet.

earth2bella 16-04-2011 05:52 AM

Hi Lilly,

I agree with many aspects of the posts before mine, but the I agree mostly with that I am not afraid to be 'dead', what I am most afraid of is the process of dying. I understand the difference there.

Plenty of people worry about the same exact thing as you, and really I don't think there is an answer to give you unless the answer is a part of your belief system. We all have our own opinions about heaven/hell, good/bad, afterlife vs nothing. Find something to believe in and go with it. 'Death' may be the unknown to you, but to one person it's positive eternal heaven and to the other it's recycled energy and to the next it's over and done with.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but just know that the are other good people just like you who think about the same issues.

I think at some point we all want our mothers to hold us and tell us it's going to be okay, but we can't do that, so we learn to tell ourselves what we need to know. If you believe that something will carry over into your next life than it probably will.

breath 16-04-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

I understand the belief in dark forces, and that is acceptable.

I don't believe in telling you experiences, i believe in teaching you to get them for yourself, so here you go.

but here, human beings are perfectly fine. close your eyelids half way for me and start to breath in just your nose - calmly like you're trying not to disturb a candle's flame that's right in front of you. and listen to this for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ZfiUdnPLM&NR=1

when you're calm I want you to follow the next instructions.

- where in your body do you feel your self being?

- move that self into your right hand and look at it, feel your hand looking back at you with your center.

to know what it feels like to be dead and to die, slowly move your center into everything simultaniously, as slow as you want. move it into the floor you're standing on. and spread it out.

just now, your eyes and your ears create the picture that yourself is between them. but when you are no longer there's exclusively, you are the entire universe.

the stronger you get this feeling, you will probably come to realize that death feels very good.

I hope this helps.

lillyj 16-04-2011 05:19 PM

Thanks for all the posts everyone had something interesting to say they all helped in some way
part of the reason i worry so much is i have a serious illness that will kill me one day and i had a premonition i would die when i was 35 i am 32 now
its funny alot of other people said they where scared of not existing this is what i believe peace is
to my mind for your energy to become everything part of everything else just like your body will
and for all awarness and being to stop this is what i would like death to be if it was this i wouldnt be afraid at all i would look forward to it but because of NDE's (reading about them) i believe its possable for there to be more and thats the thing that is frightening

i had an experience of nearly dying years ago not a NDE but the bit before that i was blissfully peaceful aware of my smallness and connectedness to everything all the universe was one and love was at the centre i felt my spirit trying to leave my body by my right side and then it all stopped and i was normal again
in this experience
i felt i would not be me anymore after i left my body i believed i was returning to the source but that it was and abstract thing not anything you could name just pure energy i studied alot of buddhism then

its funny that i should of had this beautiful experience and all these years later be afraid its like i have gone backwards spiritually

lillyj 16-04-2011 05:33 PM

i also wanted to be clear i am not really afraid of dying the process itself i think it im afraid of where i will end up afterwards where i will go to
to me dying is just a passing state the afterlife is eternal
although saying that i wouldnt like a long drawn out painful death but who would!

Westleigh 16-04-2011 08:22 PM

I think it's a very normal part of being human to fear death, or dying, or both. It is normal to fear the unknown.

I used to fear death. I had no spiritual belief for most of my life but the idea of not existing was extremely disturbing to me, and I had no basis for any reassurance on the matter.

Unfortunately I think we can only alleviate these fears through things we experience personally, and we have to follow our own spiritual journey. I am fortunate now to have an amazing relationship with the spirit world and with spirit guides who are perfectly happy to talk to me all day about the nature of spirit, their own experiences passing from this world to the next, and even previous experiences I have had myself of same, though I do not remember them. I have been exposed to an incredible, boundless environment of wisdom and love and am utterly breathtaken, awed and humbled by it. I know my mind did not create it - partly because I have had more than enough little "coincidences" in my life proving to me the validity of this communication, and partly because the spirit world is far too magnificent a thing for me to have created it!

It is not something I can offer evidence of to another person, only an honest account of my own experiences. We each need to find that for ourselves. But please don't live in fear. There is a greater meaning to everything we experience than any of us can imagine.

athribiristan 16-04-2011 09:18 PM

Negative. Death = not scary.

Roselove 17-04-2011 01:23 AM

now that i know one exists yup! i don't want to be suckered into reincarnating

HBuck72 17-04-2011 06:46 PM

I think if you come to terms with this life, and grow in spiritual development, that you have nothing to fear when death comes. By connecting to positive energy in this life, you will be drawn to positive energy in the next life.

Also, as a variant of Pascal's wager, if you leave a positive and spiritually developed life in this realm, and if there is no other realm after death, you will at least have lived a fulfilled and happy life.

I do not fear death, because I am comfortable and happy in this life, and I know that death is coming at some point. I may die when I am 90, or I could die in a car wreck tomorrow on the way to work. However, since I feel that I have tried to be as positive as possible, and do good to others, in this life that if there is an afterlife I will have a positive one, and if there is no afterlife, then I lived a good life while alive.

earthwanderess 17-04-2011 06:49 PM

I believe if I live a good and honest life, I will have nothing to fear. I just don't want to cross over until I meet my great-great grandchildren!

Celeste 19-04-2011 05:30 AM

I was brought up Catholic, and I don't always practice Catholicism, because I am more spiritual than religious, and I have my conflicts with it. Sometimes I have my doubts and wonder if I don't become one with the Catholic faith (I feel that I can't do all that they ask) I certainly won't then go to heaven. And that thought is unsettling. I mean, you can't be what you're not. Before my mom passed, she asked me if, when I died, I was going to be buried in the Catholic faith. I said I don't know, but her words kind of haunt me, now. So sometimes I wonder if I am gonna just be a floating being, in a limbo.

I am compassionate and giving, but some of the religions say you won't get to heaven on good works alone. And I believe in Christ, but mostly I go straight to God. So, if it is true you can't get to heaven except through His son, that you can't unless you have a "personal relation with Jesus," you won't go to heaven, then I feel left out. So, yes, sometimes I fear the afterlife. Sometimes I feel I am at peace and ready to go when God calls me, ant then other times I feel like I'm not. We all have to face it someday, or maybe we won't.

Boom 19-04-2011 11:21 AM

I personally believe that the reason why we don't know what happens when we die, and the fact we have a survival instinct. Is to stop us from topping ourselves the minute we have an issue on Earth in our physical. The afterlife is apparantly a wonderful place to be, full of freedoms etc.

Why is it a different experience for everyone? Well I believe that has been answered, in the sense that our conciousness can project out a world in front of us when we die. For example. If you are a heavy believer in heaven with angels sitting on clouds with wings playing harps. Then that is what you will get when you die. People will sit in their heavens for a long time before they realise that there is more to the after life than that, and eventually they will ascend further.

So having read many stories of a big tunnel with a white light at the end of it when we die. Then when I die, my conciousness will create me this tunnel to inform me that I am dead. So I will see a big tunnel with a white light at the end of it.

As everyone is different, everyone will perceive a different experience of life after death. What you need to look for when reading of peoples experiences is the underlying stories of similarities.

These are just my thoughts based on everything I have read and understood recently.

AngelBreeze 20-04-2011 01:59 AM

((((((( lillyj )))))))

Quote:

Dearest, lillyj!

Right now I can see that it is your current belief that is causing you the problems you are having and the doubts about what is a very natural process to occur.

Everything that happens to one in this life and in the next in the world of spirit is for your higher learning and in preparation for even more spiritually higher experiences.

There certainly are dark forces, just like the good ones, though the dark one that controls those dark forces would have you believe otherwise through his messages and that of his minions. However, the fixation in all the worrying occurs when one does not have God in their life to Secure and Sustain the answer that they will be going directly to Heaven upon their physical passing! Absent that, there are the dark areas that you speak about since without God in one's life, He would not be there to pin your hope upon at the moment of your transition.

But you can rest assured that your current beliefs will not carry over into the Afterlife if you accept Jesus Christ as your LORD and Savior now! For it is written in the Holy Bible that only Jesus can give you Salvation and remove all of the doubts people have in their mind about where they will be going when their present life on earth ceases to exist. Having Jesus in your life is like having the best Security Force and Spiritual Insurance Policy you can ever obtain because it is the best investment you can make for your eternal soul and spirit! For He will see to it that you are securely transported into His kingdom at your appointed time. And know that no one else can make that same offer. No one.

The way to have Jesus and that security so that your worrying will stop is to become a Born Again Christian. There will be those who will surely try to steer you in another direction, but then you must stop to consider that they care nothing about what will happen to you when you pass on as you are so very concerned about. They will tell you there are other ways. Yes, they are right in that. There are certainly other ways but not any of those ways can GUARANTEE your peace of mind in that you will ascend into Heaven unless you become Born Again through Jesus Christ.

There are people who did not want to believe this and then their time came and they passed away and their family who was Christian worried non-endingly that they passed-on without becoming a Christian and without being Saved. That is unfortunate but it happens all too often. Therefore, the time to do something about that is Now. Tomorrow may be too late as we don't know when God will call us back home and we need to have that Security that we will be guided directly to His kingdom in complete Light and Love by His angels to see our relatives and friends who have passed before us and of course, first and foremost, to be with Jesus who will be waiting to greet you with Open Arms and Extreme Happiness to know you have joined Him and are now Safely Back Home!

If you would like to get this assurance to assure Salvation for yourself, there is the Prayer for Salvation right below that you can say with all sincerity and that should rid you of any further concerns about darkness, etc. by knowing you will be in God's Light for Eternity at your appointed time when you go back home. :hug:

May you be blessed always!

Deus tecum, (\o/) AngelBreeze (\o/)

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."-- MATTHEW 28: 19-20 (KJV)

"Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son." -- II JOHN 9 (KJV)

Felynx 20-04-2011 04:57 AM

Quote:

But you can rest assured that your current beliefs will not carry over into the Afterlife if you accept Jesus Christ as your LORD and Savior now! For it is written in the Holy Bible that only Jesus can give you Salvation and remove all of the doubts people have in their mind about where they will be going when their present life on earth ceases to exist. Having Jesus in your life is like having the best Security Force and Spiritual Insurance Policy you can ever obtain because it is the best investment you can make for your eternal soul and spirit! For He will see to it that you are securely transported into His kingdom at your appointed time. And know that no one else can make that same offer. No one.

The way to have Jesus and that security so that your worrying will stop is to become a Born Again Christian. There will be those who will surely try to steer you in another direction, but then you must stop to consider that they care nothing about what will happen to you when you pass on as you are so very concerned about. They will tell you there are other ways. Yes, they are right in that. There are certainly other ways but not any of those ways can GUARANTEE your peace of mind in that you will ascend into Heaven unless you become Born Again through Jesus Christ.

Please note that the post above me is merely an individuals perception of what happens in the afterlife (albeit this perception is shared by many). I respect what she believes, but this is not necessarily true for everyone. Its up to you what you think will happen when you die. I know people with this certain idea perceive this as the only to enjoy the Afterlife, but for those that dont share the same vision, this isn't true by any stretch of the imagination. I think she should have worded it in a more open fashion, but then again the bible isn't worded that way....

nephesh 20-04-2011 06:37 AM

I am not scared I yearn to return to my true home. I know I am here for a reason though I cant say I full understand why exactly. I use to fear death even though I’ve always believed in God/JC/Heaven. It wasn’t until I started my spiritual journey that I was able to put that aside. Feel at peace with the prospect of one day dying wether its next week or 60 years from now. I also started looking into past lives/reincarnation something I've always been intrested in and open too.

Our true life (essence/soul) does not end its a never ending circle. Weather we are in the physical or spirit realm/heaven. Least thats how I have come to see it.

seeker2011 24-04-2011 08:55 PM

Fear of death exists on this side of it only.
What's really scary is being alive in the physical, if you ask me, because of all the insecurity caused by thinking it's all there is.

Miss Hepburn 24-04-2011 09:28 PM

I just found this thread. Alot of clear people here. :smile:

If this helps anyone - I recommend to friends afraid of death to read 'A World Beyond' by Ruth Montgomery...boy, does it shed light on it all.
Also google Anthony Borgia to read 'Life in the Unseen World'.

Both just excellent and will ring true to you, imo.

:love9:

Wolfe of Wildwood 24-04-2011 09:45 PM

I'm not afraid of death necessarily, but I am afraid that when we die our conscious state will no longer exist. This scares me infinitely more than any idea of hell or eternal damnation. I means I'm terrified of reincarnation and of oblivion. People tend to think this is strange.

tehuti 25-04-2011 02:53 AM

Death is the event horizon of a blackhole. The fear is the fear of moving at light speed and not having physical form. You can practice that now and create near death experiences here now through meditation and other "tools" used by shamans, mystery schools and other sects.....

Miss Hepburn 25-04-2011 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehuti
Death is the event horizon of a blackhole. The fear is the fear of moving at light speed and not having physical form. You can practice that now and create near death experiences here now through meditation and other "tools" used by shamans, mystery schools and other sects.....

I know is that cool or what?

Xan 25-04-2011 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfe of Wildwood
I'm not afraid of death necessarily, but I am afraid that when we die our conscious state will no longer exist. This scares me infinitely more than any idea of hell or eternal damnation. I means I'm terrified of reincarnation and of oblivion. People tend to think this is strange.

Wolfe... It's not strange really to have fear of dying in consciousness, but you have an unusual way of describing it. For most people it's death of the body that they fear and talk about because of the mistaken idea that the body is 'me'.

Through meditation you can discover that in essence you are consciousness itself and this was not born and cannot die. You could see this now by recognizing that all the things you are conscious of - thoughts, feelings, sensations, perceptions, etc. - are always changing... but the fact that you are always aware does not.

Another way is to look into the personal near death experiences described in articles and books by thousands of people. Many of them say they were surprised to learn they remain themselves after death, but without pain and difficulty. In other words, they are Conscious that they exist. http://nderf.org is a good place to start.

Xan