Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Buddhism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Dependent origination (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286)

Gem 19-02-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesboy
as it is, in the way it is experienced.

That could mean anything..

Well it refers to the experience you are having, in context with the first part which you left off: with "no imagination or verbalisation".

Gem 19-02-2020 07:34 PM

Not to mention the wider context of the post I replied to - and my agreement "yep"... and even though the snippet itself is fairly specific, given the context from which it was taken, the meaning wouild clear to anyone, and if it weren't clearly understood, a reasonable person would simply ask for an explanation. Given what was said to me, was said, I'm not sure if what I imply is going to be inferred.

jonesboy 19-02-2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
Well it refers to the experience you are having, in context with the first part which you left off: with "no imagination or verbalisation".

You do realize that isn’t a goal in Buddhism?

Imagination isn’t bad. The Buddha used it a lot to tell stories people could relate to.

Also what does verbalization have to do with anything?

The quote is about being that was referenced. It is a being that one realizes not a thought, concept, etc.

jonesboy 19-02-2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gem
Not to mention the wider context of the post I replied to - and my agreement "yep"... and even though the snippet itself is fairly specific, given the context from which it was taken, the meaning wouild clear to anyone, and if it weren't clearly understood, a reasonable person would simply ask for an explanation. Given what was said to me, was said, I'm not sure if what I imply is going to be inferred.

What is as it is with total silence is not nirvana.

What is as it is can mean a million different things. Even the understanding of the quote you referenced means something different to me than you.

As it is to me is the Primordial State, perfect clarity and beyond duality. If you are not at that realization you are far from as it is.

Unseeking Seeker 20-02-2020 04:28 AM

Quote:

the Primordial State, perfect clarity and beyond duality

Ah! The penny drops! Tell us more :smile:

Phaelyn 20-02-2020 04:47 AM

Quote:

as it is, in the way it is experienced.

That could mean anything..

Or nothing since no words or thoughts are present. Wait..... both anything and nothing are words! Throw them both away. It can be a bit like that, notice, gone, notice, gone...eventually one may go, ah ha, and see the way out. It really is a fascinating exercise to pursue. What does it have to do with Buddhism? It is the path to liberation. It is the core of meditation, mindfulness, nirvana, whatever one calls it. It is the experience of that, and of myself, as it is under what one is normally paying attention to which is the verbalizations.

Ram Dass sometimes referred to it as "Yum Yum!"

Seems to me anybody who is interested in what it is like can see for themselves. Just be here now without letting ones attention go into verbalization within. That Buddhist monk and teacher I quoted talks about it. But Buddhism is a belief system made up of individuals. Not every Buddhist will have an interest in non-verbal experience.

Henepola Gunaratana, a Sri Lankan Theravada Buddhist monk, ordained a Buddhist monk at age 12 said, "When we train ourselves by constant practice to stop verbalizing, the brain can experience things as they are."

Readers probably did not catch this, but my quote here from Buddha - SUTTA-NIPATA, VV. 143-152 is about non-verbal experience to me.

But when he has no trafficking with views,
Is virtuous, and has perfected seeing,
And purges greed for sensual desires,
He surely comes no more to any womb.
Buddha - SUTTA-NIPATA, VV. 143-152

No trafficking with views - no relationship with the ideas in our heads, no verbalization present. My interpretation of Buddha's Sutta anyway.

Phaelyn 20-02-2020 04:59 AM

Quote:

Imagination isn’t bad.

It can be bad, or it can be good, depends how one uses it and what it leads to. That is probably true of everything.

sky 20-02-2020 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaelyn
It can be bad, or it can be good, depends how one uses it and what it leads to. That is probably true of everything.

And it can be skillful or non-skillful but this requires Wisdom to know the difference.

sky 20-02-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

You do realize that isn’t a goal in Buddhism?

Imagination isn’t bad. The Buddha used it a lot to tell stories people could relate to.

Also what does verbalization have to do with anything?

The quote is about being that was referenced. It is a being that one realizes not a thought, concept, etc.

Imagination is very much part of Buddhism.

The purpose of Visualization / Imagination is to erase the duality between you and The Buddha.
TNH.

jonesboy 20-02-2020 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker

Ah! The penny drops! Tell us more :smile:

Not saying that is my realization but anything other than the Primordial State is obscured and therefore not how things truly are.