Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Non Duality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Robert Adams (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130382)

Tara5 15-07-2019 06:01 AM

Robert Adams

I'm dedicating this thread to Robert Adams (neo-Advaita teacher).

Will share some of the core teachings of Sri Robert Adams here :hug3:

Change no one.
Change nothing.
React to no one, react to nothing.
Do not live in the past and do not worry about the future.
Stay in the eternal now, where all is well.

After all you are me and I am you.
There's no difference.
Do not react to the world.
Do not even react to your own body.
Do not even react to your own thoughts.
Learn to become the witness.
Learn to be quiet. :toothy4:

Robert Adams

Tara5 15-07-2019 06:11 AM

It's in the silence that your problems just dissolve. Try it. It really works. :love2:

Robert Adams

Tara5 15-07-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God-Like
Isn't his thoughts about non reaction simply a reaction of his thoughts not to react?
x daz x

These are not (his) mere thoughts, these are the teachings of Advaita Vedanta propagated by Sri Shankara and Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Non-reaction means - not acting automatically....and becoming a watcher of your mind, emotions and actions.. :icon_sunny:

iamthat 15-07-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tara5
These are not (his) mere thoughts, these are the teachings of Advaita Vedanta propagated by Sri Shankara and Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Non-reaction means - not acting automatically....and becoming a watcher of your mind, emotions and actions.. :icon_sunny:

And as Ramana Maharshi says, the mind is just one thought at a time. Prevent thoughts from arising, stop giving energy to your thoughts and they will fade away. Knowledge of the Self arises when the mind is absent.

Peace.

Tara5 16-07-2019 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthat
And as Ramana Maharshi says, the mind is just one thought at a time. Prevent thoughts from arising, stop giving energy to your thoughts and they will fade away. Knowledge of the Self arises when the mind is absent.

Peace.

So true :wav:

The direct and simple nature of Sri Ramana's words has stood the test of time and continue to change lives on a daily basis.

This teaching of Ramana is close to my heart:-

The wave said to the sea: "Could I be like you?
The sea replied: It's easy...
just settle down. :icon_flower:

Tara5 16-07-2019 06:43 AM

Realize the place that you're in right now, whether you think it’s good or bad, whether you think you're happy or sad, whether you think you're rich, or poor, or sick, or healthy, the place where you're in right now is your right place. That's the beginning. You stop trying to be someone else. You stop trying to change your life. You're in your right place, right now, just the way you are. If you can become happy and peaceful in the place where you are right now, all of a sudden you will find circumstances will change in your favor, and then again you will be in your right place. Whatever change comes along as far as your body-mind is concerned, you are in your right place. The more you can see that, the more you can look at what I just said intellectually, intelligently, the more peaceful you become, the more the karmic patterns begin to break away and you begin to awaken.

It may be gradual at first. You notice that things that used to annoy you, no longer annoy you. You notice that people that you live with, the conflicts you've had, they stop because you've stopped. There's no more trying to get even. There's no more trying to win your point. There's no more trying to find the right book, or the right teacher, or the right anything. You remain centered. You remain free. :hug3:

Robert Adams

God-Like 16-07-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

All I am pointing out is that in order to practice the teachings of others one would have to react to the thought of others .
In these instances it is not an automatic response to one's thoughts arising .
One is purposefully reacting to thoughts in a specific way .
When there are teachings to not react to your thoughts, the actual opposite is occurring isn't it when one complies with another's ways / teachings / practices / thoughts .
Do you see the irony and the contradiction in it all?

x daz x

Miss Hepburn 16-07-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

... these are the teachings of Advaita Vedanta
propagated by Sri Shankara and Sri Ramana Maharshi.Non-reaction means - not acting automatically....
and becoming a watcher of your mind, emotions and actions.. :icon_sunny:

So funny Shankara is on my list to look up...he and Ramana
(who I am VERY familiar with) were mentioned in a 2 hour youtube I have watched many times...
'Buddha at the Gas Pump' is an interview series I listen to a lot...
love having my laptop on my night stand ...click and listen to teachers for hours, ahhhh, heaven.

Daz, don't give the young lady a hard time!!!:tongue:

Keep up the good work,Tara. :icon_thumleft:

Miss Hepburn 16-07-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthat
Prevent thoughts from arising, stop giving energy to your thoughts and they will fade away.
Knowledge of the Self arises when the mind is absent.
Peace.

Well, after 12 years of practicing Thought Control...
I can attest to this being true.
I hardly remember the mischief my thoughts used to do!
In Christian speak...'the devil gets tired of playing with a person that he can't bother'. :tongue:

Just a cute story...I have a gorgeous Ramana book that I pull out on my shelf so I can see his face all the time.
One time I just glanced at his face and suddenly was given another one of my 'moments'...except this
altered state lasted 2 hours of being 'struck' with an awesome realization...my dog even knew, "Um...you're different..."
Whew. I love when that happens. :biggrin:

God-Like 16-07-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn

[/color] Daz, don't give the young lady a hard time!!!:tongue:

Lol, Miss H, not so much a hard time but rather to just clarify what constitutes a non reactive thought based upon a thought that one should pay no attention to a thought ..

It might seem like I am picking holes into something for the sake of it, but all one has to do is look at what is suggested and then look at how one REACTS to that suggestion .

If peeps want to pay no attention to their thoughts then they pay attention to the thought of something else lol .. A one pointed focus for instance is to hold your thought upon something else in order for 'other worldly thoughts' to dissipate for use of a better word .

If you relate to what Robert adams suggests in regards to ''Do not even react to your own thoughts'' then surely one should not react to your thoughts in such a way where you focus on something else in order to make them go away lol ..

Don't shoot the messenger :tongue: .. I am just pointing out the irony / contradiction ..

Do you see them? Some peeps don't because they are soooo fixated on the thoughts of other's they get a little lost within them ..

x dazzle x