Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spirituality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   The purpose of 'new age' spirituality? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58011)

Maguru 18-10-2013 02:30 AM

The purpose of 'new age' spirituality?

What is the purpose of spirituality? For me it is the process of humanities transformation. However, from my observations it seems to be more about the individual.

Niebla0007 18-10-2013 03:03 AM

Well, what about one step at a time?

Can't really generalize when it comes to people.

Maguru 18-10-2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niebla0007
Well, what about one step at a time?

Can't really generalize when it comes to people.

Ok, but where are we coming from and where are we going?

What is your concept of spiritual purpose through a new age perspective, rather than a religious one?

Eudaimonist 18-10-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maguru
What is the purpose of spirituality?

I personally think that the work that spirituality does is personal growth and transcendence. It is seeing life from an improved vantage point, and the changes that occur in oneself because of that.

eudaimonia,

Mark

A human Being 18-10-2013 01:34 PM

I find lofty talk of concepts like 'spiritual purpose' slightly distasteful, tbh. Too abstract for me, and it sounds quite... clinical, if you know what I mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eudaimonist
I personally think that the work that spirituality does is personal growth and transcendence. It is seeing life from an improved vantage point, and the changes that occur in oneself because of that.

eudaimonia,

Mark

That's a better way of phrasing it for me. I posted this video on the Meditation section of the forum, but I think it's quite appropriate for this thread as well.

livingkarma 18-10-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

What is your concept of spiritual purpose through a new age perspective, rather than a religious one?

It attracts those who are not "religious" ...
New Age is easier to identify with on a personal level ...
Some people like the look & feel of something new or what they deem as progressive ...
JMHO ...

Papa Bear 18-10-2013 11:54 PM

Hi Maguru,
Quote:

What is the purpose of spirituality? For me it is the process of humanities transformation. However, from my observations it seems to be more about the individual.

If there is any potential for an `age` of Spirituality, in the evolution of the human race, I would suppose it would be called a `new` age, on arrival. For if it was `here` `now`, who could recognize its presence, if not those who observed and reflected life, through their own Spirituality. And though they may be individual, what they may reflect may not be.
I suppose it’s a question of perspective, it depends where one observes from.

Maguru 19-10-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eudaimonist

eudaimonia,

Mark

Yes, thanks. I think it probably is. I guess I was searching for the one equalizing factor that would connect us at a deeper level.

Maguru 19-10-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Hi Maguru,

If there is any potential for an `age` of Spirituality, in the evolution of the human race, I would suppose it would be called a `new` age, on arrival. For if it was `here` `now`, who could recognize its presence, if not those who observed and reflected life, through their own Spirituality. And though they may be individual, what they may reflect may not be.
I suppose it’s a question of perspective, it depends where one observes from.

Yes I think perspectives are the key to our experiences of spirituality.

Maguru 19-10-2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livingkarma
It attracts those who are not "religious" ...
New Age is easier to identify with on a personal level ...
Some people like the look & feel of something new or what they deem as progressive ...
JMHO ...

Sort of a new religion?