Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Christianity (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   people speaking in tongues...? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31957)

shareunity 10-03-2012 10:36 PM

people speaking in tongues...?

Why does it happen ?
Have you witnessed it ?
Why do people speak in tongues as they pray or which ever?
Hmm...somebody care to explain ? Thank u bunches

- shareunity.

Native spirit 10-03-2012 11:27 PM

:smile: Hi Shareunity,

I have seen mediums speak in tongues i have done it myself i couldnt tell u what i was saying as it was a foreign language but the person who the message was for understood every word, i have seen this done many times,
i have also seen born again christians speak in tongues when they pray i have also seen them really shake. they say its because the holly spirit has come so close to them,
to speak the wordmakes it more powerful,

Namaste

CatChild 11-03-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shareunity
Why does it happen ?
Have you witnessed it ?
Why do people speak in tongues as they pray or which ever?

- shareunity.

I have seen charismatic Christians speaking in tongues, falling down, shaking and waving their hands in the air. It just gave me the creeps and I just couldn't buy it.

That said- I have seen channellers who spoke in different languages, where there was some form of interpreter. During these channelings, there was no shaking, falling down etc. The only thing I have ever seen that was remotely physical, was the physical transformation of a woman in the next city from me who channels an Aboriginal Elder. When she channels him, her face changes, her posture and walk changes, and she is able to bring her arms and hands into the prayer position only on her back and shoulders blades. Also her voice and accent changed.

The only time I ever saw a 'New Age' channeling that had any semblance of charismatic feel to it, was when I saw Grandmother Chandra live in person. I went with my best friend, and we both picked up on a lot of falsity and felt awkward to vocalize it while we were at the event.

psychoslice 11-03-2012 05:13 AM

:confused2: :happy6: :happy6: :happy7: :icon_compress: I personally don't think talking in tongues is anything to do with being a holy roller, rolling around and talking gibberish. We all talk a new language when we are coming from our inner Being, its a language that the carnal minded don't understand. But there are many who think that they are special because they talk gibberish, they think that they are blessed by the holy spirit, they even make others in the church feel inferior because they don't talk this gibberish.

Its just all a misinterpretation of scripture which so many do, and hence, so many belief systems.

Newfreedom9 11-03-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoslice
We all talk a new language when we are coming from our inner Being

I would agree with this. In church when I was a Christian I was "baptised in the holy spirit" and they said to just let it come and I would speak in tongues.. I had actually felt like speaking in tongues before that but hadn't because I didn't know if it was "real". But now I can whenever I want. I think it's like most things, we know other languages but we've forgotten we know. So if we find a way to believe we can and seek it, it comes. I do believe in channeling too, but I've never done that. I've never shaken and fallen down either, so I don't know what that is all about, but there's my experience with tongues...

shareunity 11-03-2012 09:47 AM

:( sounds scary. Does that mean that when I person is speaking in tongues
A higher power or spirit is in ya? Sounds like jibberish to me. But then again Idk..
About the whole shaking...voice change..body lang and all that ?? Eeek. It's not demons ?

I guess I can kinda understand if a person was channeling wit someone a person knew

Sigh.

Thank you evrybody xoxoxoxo

ciel_perdu 11-03-2012 10:01 AM

I believe that people can speak in tongues and that it is a gift of the spirit that anyone can participate in.

I think speaking in tongues is emotional communication to God. It is our spirit praying. When we give up control of our thoughts and words, we can let our spirit say the things that we truely want to say.

Most communication is more non-verbal than verbal, and I think that people that talk in tongues, generally tend to be better communicators.

Tongues doesn't have to be a mystical thing, it could be done in the privacy of your room. You just focus on a feeling that you want to convey to God, and you just start making happy loving sounds, whatever, just let go and let God take control. Most of us are afraid of letting go in this way.

Anyway, I like what Paul said, when he said that if would like people to speak in tongues, but he would rather they prophesie.

Newfreedom9 11-03-2012 05:26 PM

I think most the time it is our Self, our true Self. Our Spirits are much older then this lifetime and have access to all languages.

As for being a medium.. it could be "demons" someone is channeling or "angels". Really those are just terms, there are many beings out there that we know little of right now. Test the spirits. The message and the fruits of it will tell you all you need to know. If someone who is channeling is giving postive messages that uplift themselves and others.. it's from a positive being. And the other way round.

Gracey 11-03-2012 06:15 PM

my understanding of speaking in tongues in speaking more than one language that is already established, not gibberish.

Toolite 12-03-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shareunity
Why does it happen ?
when the Holy Ghost falls on the person - the person begins talking in tongues its for edification of the person or the church if its a chosen speaking in tongues
Have you witnessed it ? Yes many timesWhy do people speak in tongues as they pray or which ever?
if the person is not in a trance then its not authenic.. all will be in tongues

speaking in tongues happens when the Holy Ghost has fell upon a person no different than trance mediumship. The Holy Ghost is edifying/correcting an individual- that individual.. the carnal ind does not understand but, the persons soul completely understands and does what the Holy Ghost is instructing.. The Holy Ghost Can also fall on your Prophet of the church and therefore it will be for edification/correcting of the church or giving a great praise on behalf of the church. One that holds the gifts of the Spirit will be speaking in english what is being said to and they two will appear in like a trance not paying attention to their surroundings and that will be because they too are in spirit..

Thats why the five fold is very important for any church.. you just have to know who they are..

- shareunity.

All The Glory Belongs To God Forever!