Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spirituality (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Beauty in darkness (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129882)

ketzer 12-06-2019 02:27 AM

Beauty in darkness

I often feel like I find great beauty and meaning in the darker and sad side of the life experience.

Sad music, sad or tragic stories (fiction, nonfiction, history), dark poetry, dark art, and other sad/dark things I can't think of at the moment. Of course, it is not just dark things, I appreciate the happier joyful side of art, history, life, etc. just as much (I mean I am not goth :smile: ). But I am often drawn to those darker aspects of the human experience and they in some way make me feel good instead of sad.

I am also aware that many people are not, and would rather steer clear of the darker and sad side of life. Often they almost think something is wrong with those who appreciate those sad and dark moments.

I am curious as to how others on this forum line up. Do you find you derive beauty and meaning from the darker aspects of life and are often drawn in (maybe even comforted) by them, or do they just bring you down and would prefer to avoid them when that is possible?

Any reflections on why we are one way or the other?

Starman 12-06-2019 02:54 AM

The darkness or darker side of life play and important role in this creation. There is great beauty in childbirth
yet often the mother giving birth to a new life is in great pain. In theory, and exploding star can be very beautiful
yet I would not want to be in its wake,

Frequently it takes a tragedy to bring people together, with great beauty and in ways that they most likely
would not have come together if not for the tragedy. There is a metaphysical belief that the darkness is
nothing more than the shadow of the light.

The negative is nothing more than a blueprint for the positive. There are those who believe in “no pain, no gain,”
but I would like to believe that we can gain and grow without pain. But that does not too often seem to be the case.
The greatest thing about the darker side of life is the triumph over it.

There is a beauty in being triumphant and vanquishing the darkness. Stories of this nature draw cheers and applause.
There are people who can not imagine living without a nemesis, a foe, or something to oppose. They often label
that thing “evil,” But if there is something called “the devil” then it works for what we call “God.”

If there is something called “evil” then it exists to bring out a greater good. The only problem is not to become its’ victim.
I have learned as much, if not more, in my life from the dark nights of my soul as I have from the great experiences
I’ve had of love and light. They are both our teacher.

ocean breeze 12-06-2019 03:19 AM

When it comes to actually experiencing the dark part of life it doesn't really feel beautiful in that moment. Its usually afterwards that i can see the beauty behind it. This is only from my personal experience. I can't speak for others.

I don't see much beauty in the triumph over our dark side or the darker side of life. I see more beauty when a person can befriend their darkest side or when a person can feel a sense of gratitude even in the mist of their darkest moments.

I do enjoy dark art and poetry much more so than the peachy, positive, nature, lovey dovey type of art and poetry, or music and haiku's, etc. There is a much more authentic sense of expression behind that.

Altair 12-06-2019 09:31 AM

I do not enjoy the ''darkness'' as in how most people understand it. I'm not interested in sad things, violence, dark tourism, or horror genre..

I do however like to claim the word darkness, but in a good way. There is much beauty in the darkness of the night.. or a rainy, dark jungle.. or in various creatures, such as snakes and nocturnal animals that most people don't like. Darkness is also the hidden, introverted aspects of ourselves, which can be good..

Darkness should therefore be claimed as something positive, and not just be associated with all manner of human states of being that are awful, dead things, and stuff that is harmful..

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocean breeze
I do enjoy dark art and poetry much more so than the peachy, positive, nature, lovey dovey type of art and poetry, or music and haiku's, etc. There is a much more authentic sense of expression behind that.

That's your call to call it ''more authentic''. Doesn't mean that it is. As a fantasy enthusiast I've come across people thinking blood and violence, grey and black colours are all more ''authentic'' and ''mature''. They're a bit silly if you ask me..

Rawnrr 12-06-2019 10:16 AM

Sometimes seeing the light is easier when you are in the dark

Dargor 12-06-2019 11:26 AM

Although some members here probably think I am the ultimate personification of darkness itself, I'm not really interested in darkness at all. What fascinates me the most is the 'grey area' in between light and darkness, because it's neither too bright nor too dark, but a perfect balance and combination of both. Whether it exists or not, it's still an interesting thing to think about.

ketzer 12-06-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
Although some members here probably think I am the ultimate personification of darkness itself,

Well, you do call youself the Slayer of Light, that could have something to do with it.:D

Dargor 12-06-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ketzer
Well, you do call youself the Slayer of Light, that could have something to do with it.:D

It depends how you look at it. One could also interpret my username as an agent of light who slays evil, rather than someone who slays light (which is impossible to begin with) but funny enough no one thought about that before. But honestly, it's just the name of some song and has no connection with me.

ketzer 12-06-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocean breeze
When it comes to actually experiencing the dark part of life it doesn't really feel beautiful in that moment. Its usually afterwards that i can see the beauty behind it. This is only from my personal experience. I can't speak for others.

This is usually true, but I can recall times when I was in extreme emotional pain and anguish yet somehow felt a sense of beauty about the whole thing as well. It occurs to me as a write this, that perhaps I was feeling the growth that I was going to get from the experience at the time. Such moments are rare though, usually I suffer first and only appreciate it much later.

Though we can often only see the beauty in the darker moments in life from the perspective of hindsight, I think the light is always there. When one focuses intently on the yin, one finds the yang at the center, and vice versa. The two are intertwined and inseparable, only different perspectives of the mind creates the illusion they are two different things.

Unseeking Seeker 12-06-2019 12:15 PM

“ I often feel like I find great beauty and meaning in the darker and sad side of the life experience “ @ ketzer

In your own life as experienced as pain or in the lives of others? I’d have thought that everyone wishes to embrace, imbibe, assimilate and radiate bubbling joy immersed in unending bliss in a boundless surging expansion of consciousness in permanence.