Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Hinduism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   What is enlightenment - the way to God (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120857)

Nitiananda 20-02-2018 09:09 PM

What is enlightenment - the way to God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5nzZEOm2YE

sky 20-02-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitiananda

Buddha became ' Enlightened ' Buddhist don't believe in God....

Nitiananda 20-02-2018 09:54 PM

In Buddhism, there is no concept of a single God. The gods in Buddhism are a huge number. All beings above the level of the world of the Asuras are considered Gods.

Shivani Devi 21-02-2018 08:50 AM

Buddhism underwent a total reformation in the 12th century...about the same time that Buddha sorta 'became' an avatar of Lord Vishnu, to bring the religion of Buddhism back within the 'Hindu fold' to appeal to the totally uneducated and illiterate masses of the time.

In the contemporary Buddhist catechism, there is "no God" and "no Self" as it was pretty much the desire of Buddhists to bring the philosophy of Buddhism under the auspices of Advaita Vedanta which was also gaining notoriety around the same time to popularise it...and perhaps as a 'backlash' to all those gung-ho Vaishnavites who sought to place the preceptor of an atheist philosophy under the auspices OF a Hindu deity.

*reading the Akashic Records is fun...but I digress*

Before the reformation of Buddhist thought, those in Nepal and Tibet worshiped tribal deities...they worshiped Tutelary Deities or "Gods" and the most prevalent and significant of these, were the Hindu God(desses) Mahakaal (Bhairava) which is the 'terrible form' of Lord Shiva and also Dakini (Tara, Lolita) as being the 'Red Dakini" or Bhuvaneshwari which resides in the Muladhara Chakra...riding her Elephant or existing alongside Ganesha under the vibration of the bija "LAM".

So, when Buddhism came to Tibet, the populace was told "you can keep your beliefs, but also integrate ours" thus Vajrayana was born...along with Buddhist Tantra.

In the local dialect, the letter "B" is interchangeable with "V" and the suffix of "ava" became synonymous with "achana" and so, Bhairava became the "Adi Buddha" known as Vairochana...it's all quite long and convoluted.

Please compare the images of Kala Bhairava (Hinduism) with Maha Kala Bernagchen (Buddhism)...and for some reason, Google won't let me post images anymore...which sucks. lol

Miss Hepburn 14-07-2018 01:53 PM

Found this today ...thought this group might like it:

Enlightenment means literally aligning to the Energy of my Source.
And genius is only about focusing.
Law of Attraction takes care of everything else.
Physical humans often want to make enlightenment about finding some process and
moving through the process that has been pre-described.
But true enlightenment is moving to the rhythm of the internal inspiration that is coming
in response to the individual desire.

Enlightenment is about allowing my connection to the Source that is me for the fulfillment of the things
that I have individually defined here in my time/space reality.

That’s as good as it gets!

-Abraham-Hicks

ajay00 16-07-2018 03:36 PM

The enlightened one acts on the basis of the Self or pure consciousness and not on the basis of desires in the form of cravings and aversions which brings about the ego or false self, personalised thoughts and emotions blindly identified with, and consequent suffering.

Egocentric actions taken on the basis of raag-dvesh ( cravings-aversions) create vasanas or unconscious impressions in the mind which perpetuate compulsively such thoughts, emotions and actions again and again habitually like the grooves in a record. Addictions are similarly very strong vasanas or impressions in the unconscious. One may resolve to break these addictions but the sheer pressure of the unconscious impressions will force him or her to continue with the addictive activities compulsively.

Vasanas in Hinduism are called sankaras in Buddhism. Awareness, total love and spiritual exercises eliminate thse vasanas which create habitual thinking and actions, and the total elimination of them results in enlightenment.

For the samsari or unenlightened person, thought associated with the past psychological memories of pleasure and pain create desires in the form of cravings and aversions , which in turn stimulates personalised thoughts and emotions one identifies with blindly, leading to psychological drama which may have nothing to do with existential reality. All conflicts arise from the personal psychological self which is false in nature and characterised by conditioned likes and dislikes.

Awareness or total love depersonalises these thoughts and emotions and renders them harmless, stripping them of their emotivity and reactivity.

The enlightened one or Stithaprajna is thus in a state of awareness or pure consciousness, content with the moment, deconditioned and not living in the past or future through emotionally charged thoughts.

jonesboy 16-07-2018 05:28 PM

Maybe the words of the great KS master Abhinavagupta will help.

Quote:

"The question is thus appropriate because contentment (enlightenment) is not possible without a conscious realization. Contentment is of two kinds. The first is effected by means of absorption (samavesa) and consists of magical powers. The second is attained by reaching a condition of conscious heart-felt realization, and it is the state of being liberated while still alive."

I would also agree that the Buddha mentioned many times about various Gods and divine beings.

Shivani Devi 03-09-2018 05:52 AM

Namaste

I was watching some random Youtube videos last night, just following the recommendations...and I saw one "Instant Enlightenment" by Papaji.

I don't know if I became "enlightened" but all I know is I couldn't stop laughing for hours. Enjoy.
https://youtu.be/vnsmOXD4iE8

Aum Namah Shivaya

sky 03-09-2018 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
Namaste

I was watching some random Youtube videos last night, just following the recommendations...and I saw one "Instant Enlightenment" by Papaji.

I don't know if I became "enlightened" but all I know is I couldn't stop laughing for hours. Enjoy.
https://youtu.be/vnsmOXD4iE8

Aum Namah Shivaya

Watch all Puppetji ' Teachings ' Shiv but not while your drinking or eating, I nearly choked laughing.

running 04-09-2018 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Found this today ...thought this group might like it:

Enlightenment means literally aligning to the Energy of my Source.
And genius is only about focusing.
Law of Attraction takes care of everything else.
Physical humans often want to make enlightenment about finding some process and
moving through the process that has been pre-described.
But true enlightenment is moving to the rhythm of the internal inspiration that is coming

Enlightenment is about allowing my connection to the Source that is me for the fulfillment of the things
that I have individually defined here in my time/space reality.

That’s as good as it gets!

-Abraham-Hicks

he is speaking from the story. if its about how you want the story then that has nothing to do with it. it simply has to do with becoming one with the source. the merging of shakti and shiva. that fullfillment quenches the desires. which is in opposition of making the story how one wishes it to be. either that gentleman is miles away from what folks like yogananda and the rest are speaking about. or im completely comfused on what he is saying. which is entirely possible.

jonesboy 05-09-2018 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running
he is speaking from the story. if its about how you want the story then that has nothing to do with it. it simply has to do with becoming one with the source. the merging of shakti and shiva. that fullfillment quenches the desires. which is in opposition of making the story how one wishes it to be. either that gentleman is miles away from what folks like yogananda and the rest are speaking about. or im completely comfused on what he is saying. which is entirely possible.

I would agree with you.

That person is selling nonsense for a profit. Has no idea.

Quote:

That is the complete opposite of every spiritual teaching. That is law of attraction **.

jonesboy 05-09-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Buddhism underwent a total reformation in the 12th century...about the same time that Buddha sorta 'became' an avatar of Lord Vishnu, to bring the religion of Buddhism back within the 'Hindu fold' to appeal to the totally uneducated and illiterate masses of the time.

In the contemporary Buddhist catechism, there is "no God" and "no Self" as it was pretty much the desire of Buddhists to bring the philosophy of Buddhism under the auspices of Advaita Vedanta which was also gaining notoriety around the same time to popularise it...and perhaps as a 'backlash' to all those gung-ho Vaishnavites who sought to place the preceptor of an atheist philosophy under the auspices OF a Hindu deity.

*reading the Akashic Records is fun...but I digress*

Before the reformation of Buddhist thought, those in Nepal and Tibet worshiped tribal deities...they worshiped Tutelary Deities or "Gods" and the most prevalent and significant of these, were the Hindu God(desses) Mahakaal (Bhairava) which is the 'terrible form' of Lord Shiva and also Dakini (Tara, Lolita) as being the 'Red Dakini" or Bhuvaneshwari which resides in the Muladhara Chakra...riding her Elephant or existing alongside Ganesha under the vibration of the bija "LAM".

So, when Buddhism came to Tibet, the populace was told "you can keep your beliefs, but also integrate ours" thus Vajrayana was born...along with Buddhist Tantra.

In the local dialect, the letter "B" is interchangeable with "V" and the suffix of "ava" became synonymous with "achana" and so, Bhairava became the "Adi Buddha" known as Vairochana...it's all quite long and convoluted.

Please compare the images of Kala Bhairava (Hinduism) with Maha Kala Bernagchen (Buddhism)...and for some reason, Google won't let me post images anymore...which sucks. lol

Buddhist would disagree that he was an avatar of Vishnu.

Quote:

Then Mahamati said: If the Tathágatas are un-born, there does not seem to be anything to take hold of – no entity – or is there something that bears another name than entity? And what can that "something" be?

The Blessed One replied: Objects are frequently known by different names according to different aspects that they present, the god Indra is sometimes known as Shakra, and sometimes as Purandara. These different names are sometimes used interchangeably and sometimes they are discriminated, but different objects are not to be imagined because of the different names, nor are they without individuation. The same can be said of myself as I appear in this world of patience before ignorant people and where I am known by uncounted trillions of names. They address me by different names not realizing that they are all names of the one Tathágata. Some recognize me as Tathágata, some as the self-existent one, some as Gautama the Ascetic, some as Buddha. Then there are others who recognize me as Brahma, as Vishnu, as Ishvara; some see me as Sun, as Moon; some as a reincarnation of the ancient sages; some as one of "ten powers"; some as Rama, some as Indra, and some as Varuna. Still there are others who speak of me as The Un-born, as Emptiness, as "Suchness," as Truth, as Reality, as Ultimate Principle; still there are others who see me as Dharmakaya, as Nirvana, as the Eternal; some speak of me as sameness, as non-duality, as un-dying, as formless; some think of me as the doctrine of Buddha-causation, or of Emancipation, or of the Noble Path; and some think of me as Divine Mind and Noble Wisdom. Thus in this world and in other worlds am I known by these uncounted names, but they all see me as the moon is seen in the water. Though they all honor, praise and esteem me, they do not fully understand the meaning and significance of the words they use; not having their own self-realization of Truth they cling to the words of their canonical books, or to what has been told to them, or to what they have imagined, and fail to see that the name they are using is only one of the many names of the Tathágata. In their studies they follow the mere words of the text vainly trying to gain the true meaning, instead of having confidence in the one "text" where self-confirming Truth is revealed, that is, having confidence in the self-realization of noble Wisdom.

I can't remember where I read it but in one sutra the Buddha talks about being Brahma for a long time before he move beyond.

Interesting stuff.

Shivani Devi 05-09-2018 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesboy
Buddhist would disagree that he was an avatar of Vishnu.

I can't remember where I read it but in one sutra the Buddha talks about being Brahma for a long time before he move beyond.

Interesting stuff.

Namaste.

So now, it does get interesting!

The Vaishnavas state that Buddha was an avatar of Vishnu, but the Buddhists say that he was not, so who is correct and who is incorrect, or is it up to what we personally believe is the truth, irrespective of whether it was or not? This can also be said for basically everything in existence. lol

Are things which cannot be proven true, simply because we believe them to be so? even if another says that it is 'not true' and so, it will be 'not true' for them, but true for us? and where does the 'real truth' fit in, in these scenarios?

Aum Namah Shivaya

jonesboy 05-09-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Namaste.

So now, it does get interesting!

The Vaishnavas state that Buddha was an avatar of or Vishnu, but the Buddhists say that he was not, so who is correct and who is incorrect, or is it up to what we personally believe is the truth, irrespective of whether it was or not? This can also be said for basically everything in existence. lol

Are things which cannot be proven true, simply because we believe them to be so? even if another says that it is 'not true' and so, it will be 'not true' for them, but true for us? and where does the 'real truth' fit in, in these scenarios?

Aum Namah Shivaya

True,

Do you believe in a God an all powerful being or that we can all be God?

Throwing in a Christian view :)

Quote:

As we ascend to that which is more perfect, He who is without form or shape comes no longer without form or without shape. Nor does He cause His light to come to us and be present with us in silence. But how? He comes in a definite form indeed, though it is a divine one. Yet God does not show Himself in a particular pattern or likeness, but in simplicity, and takes the form of an incomprehensible, inaccessible, and formless light. We cannot possibly say or express more than this; still He appears clearly and is consciously known and clearly seen, though He is invisible. He sees and hears invisibly and, just as friend speaks to friend face to face (cf. Ex. 33:11), so He who by nature is God speaks to those whom by grace He has begotten as gods. He loves like a father, and in turn He is fervently loved by His sons.

Quote n° 3433 : Saint Symeon the New Theologian , (949 - 1022), Christianity, Orthodoxy
Source : The Discourses, p. 365, Trans. C.J. de Catanzaro. Ramsey, N.J.: Paulist Press, 1980.

Remember some of the old Brahma views were there was only one being. When the Buddha came he changed that view.

You can also look at things as levels.

Being Shiva is the realization of universal mind.

Realizing the emptiness of universal mind is a Buddha. The Tao Te Ching say's much the same thing.
The Tao begot one.
One begot two.
Two begot three.
And three begot the ten thousand things.

The Tao being emptiness and the One being Universal Mind or One like Siva.

Also, why would you look to some other tradition to get an understanding on Buddhism and it's beliefs? What you are saying is more that tradition is trying to incorporate and validate it's own beliefs while dismissing the teachings of another.

Shivani Devi 05-09-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

True,

Do you believe in a God an all powerful being or that we can all be God?

Throwing in a Christian view :)

Remember some of the old Brahma views were there was only one being. When the Buddha came he changed that view.

You can also look at things as levels.

Being Shiva is the realization of universal mind.

Realizing the emptiness of universal mind is a Buddha. The Tao Te Ching say's much the same thing.
The Tao begot one.
One begot two.
Two begot three.
And three begot the ten thousand things.

The Tao being emptiness and the One being Universal Mind or One like Siva.

Of course I believe in God, but many do not. Does this mean that God exists only because I believe? or does not exist because others don't?

I could also say that Brahman exists as a 'universal Truth' as Sat...but that is still only a 'theory' until experientially realised, but the realisation cannot be proven either - not that it could ever be, or needs to be.

Is it really "emptiness" to say that all things arise from within it, when manifestation cannot come from 'nothing'...like the Big Bang? there must be 'something' from which 'other things' issue forth, no?

Aum Namah Shivaya

Shivani Devi 05-09-2018 04:07 PM

As for whether God is a 'being' or we are all God...six of one, half a dozen of the other.

It is is difficult for me to reconcile the belief that I am God...because I am too preoccupied with loving and worshipping Siva as an 'external entity' for that to ever occur...but such is the lot of a Bhakti Yogi.

jonesboy 05-09-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Of course I believe in God, but many do not. Does this mean that God exists only because I believe? or does not exist because others don't?

I could also say that Brahman exists as a 'universal Truth' as Sat...but that is still only a 'theory' until experientially realised, but the realisation cannot be proven either - not that it could ever be, or needs to be.

Is it really "emptiness"? to say that all things arise from within it, when manifestation cannot come from 'nothing'...like the Big Bang? there must be 'something' from which 'other things' issue forth, no?

Aum Namah Shivaya

There are many Gods and Buddhas and it can be proven if you are interested :smile: Not with words either.

As far as emptiness, maybe this will help.

Quote:

Primordial emptiness is like a bubbling sea of nothingness, brimming with potential. It can be most easily described in the realization of three components, but each of the component is inseparable. These components are Void, motion (or energy) and potential.

The void is empty with no activity at all. Nothing to perceive and nothing to sense. Like a totally dead sea with no motion. The nature of void can be found going deeper and deeper into meditation. The is a common goal in many traditions. But, it is beyond senses, lights or astral visions. All activity in mind (or universal mind) is dropped such that nothing is left. All perception is gone, such that the mind is still and for all practical purposes, one and everything "ceases".

When the nothingness of void "moves" or changes state, one has "energy". Energy has no true substance as it is only the motion of void, but it gives rise to something to be "perceived". In it's emergence, energy can be guided by "intent". First energy is noticed on a subconscious level, but with greater realization, it can be guided and affected. First in one's body, and later as greater mental obstructions are cleared on a universal level.

When one has fully realized the void and one experiences energy 24/7 in a conscious (controlled) manner, one integrates the two and can notice the "potential". The potential is the pristine clarity (or light) of the void. Or in more modern terms, it is the structure or raw building stuff of mind/universal mind. All that exists or potentially can exist is a transmission of this pristine clarity/light.

When one fully realizes these three components as integrated and inseparable, they have realized ultimate emptiness. One "sees behind" the curtain (of mind) and becomes stabilized in the primordial sea.

Ultimately, void is nothingness, energy is the motion of nothingness, clarity (or light) is the realization of the potential of it all that can be guided by intent.

Shivani Devi 05-09-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

There are many Gods and Buddhas and it can be proven if you are interested :smile: Not with words either.

As far as emptiness, maybe this will help.

It is said that siva is known through His manifested energies - shakti.

Everything in existence is only the vimarsha (reflection) of the spanda of purusha siva.

Of course, I understand all you have said and it can be related without words, but only to one who is open to receiving it...but then again, if one in enmeshed in Maya, what they perceive is 'real' to them....but is that any less real to the perceiver as Brahman is to an enlightened being?

So, can we say "Neti Neti" or "Iti Iti" and both are the same and lead to the same non-dual awareness, even though the awareness is attained through the duality of "non-being" as opposed to "being".

I guess all of this rides on the back of many synchronicities that I have experienced lately, which all my friends and relatives have all discounted as being 'coincidences' but their definition of 'coincidence' is totally different to mine....and that's why I have been playing the 'devil's advocate' on SF lately...because for some reason, I have been out of sorts with seeing and perceiving 'reality' as being somewhat different from all those around me and I am confuzzled. lol

Aum Namah Shivaya

jonesboy 05-09-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

It is said that siva is known through His manifested energies - shakti.

Everything in existence is only the vimarsha (reflection) of the spanda of purusha siva.

Of course, I understand all you have said and it can be related without words, but only to one who is open to receiving it...but then again, if one in enmeshed in Maya, what they perceive is 'real' to them....but is that any less real to the perceiver as Brahman is to an enlightened being?

So, can we say "Neti Neti" or "Iti Iti" and both are the same and lead to the same non-dual awareness, even though the awareness is attained through the duality of "non-being" as opposed to "being".

I guess all of this rides on the back of many synchronicities that I have experienced lately, which all my friends and relatives have all discounted as being 'coincidences' but their definition of 'coincidence' is totally different to mine....and that's why I have been playing the 'devil's advocate' on SF lately...because for some reason, I have been out of sorts with seeing and perceiving 'reality' as being somewhat different from all those around me and I am confuzzled. lol

Aum Namah Shivaya

To me Shakti and Shiva are real beings that one can connect to or become one with.

Non being is the realization of emptiness of self which allows for the realization that you are one with everyone and everything. With such a realization you can help others by sharing that oneness. Much like the post I did on direct introduction.

The Master is for his disciple Siva Himself for it is he who

through his initiation, teaching and grace, reveals the secret power of

spiritual discipline. Instructing in the purport of scripture he does more

than simply explain its meaning: he transmits the realisation it can bestow.

The Master is at one with Siva's divine power through which he enlightens

his disciple. It is this power that matters and makes the Master a true

spiritual guide,25 just as it was this same power that led the disciple to him

in his quest for the path that leads to the tranquility that can only be found

'in the abode beyond mind'.26 The Master is the ferry that transports the

disciple over the ocean of thought if, that is, the disciple is ready.

ajay00 05-09-2018 06:21 PM

A touching and beautiful account of enlightenment by Gary Weber.

Quote:

Somehow, I happened upon the teachings of Ramana Maharshi. I began looking in the other direction, back inside at what it was that was doing all of these practices and causing all of this confusion. One day, realizing that enlightenment was impossible as long as there was an “I” insisting on being present for the exciting conclusion as well as keeping all of its attachments, I surrendered completely. Everything was surrendered, everything; my “self”, possessions, job, corner office, parking space, options, house, attachments, everything. I said deeply and sincerely from the bottom of my being, that I had to know the Truth, even if it cost my life. With that surrender, I could feel something shift.

Shortly afterwards, doing an asana that I had done thousands of times before, the “I” blew out like a candle in the wind, and a page turned. I went into the asana one way and came out transformed. Consciousness shifted completely and irrevocably. Thought stopped as a continuous activity and stillness and presence were there at a level I could never have imagined. I realized that I was not this body, nor these thoughts, but the undying consciousness behind them. I saw that everything was perfect just as it was and that everything was somehow inside me and was in fact, all One. Surprisingly, I also realized that everything was God. - Gary Weber

jonesboy 05-09-2018 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay00
A touching and beautiful account of enlightenment by Gary Weber.

I liked reading Weber back in the day as well :)

One must understand that enlightenment isn't just a state of mind or a big opening like is being described above.

Quote:

"The question is thus appropriate because contentment (enlightenment) is not possible without a conscious realization. Contentment is of two kinds. The first is effected by means of absorption (samavesa) and consists of magical powers. The second is attained by reaching a condition of conscious heart-felt realization, and it is the state of being liberated while still alive."

If you can't share that realization then is all within the mind and not truly "enlightenment."

ajay00 05-09-2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

I liked reading Weber back in the day as well :)

One must understand that enlightenment isn't just a state of mind or a big opening like is being described above.

I don't think Weber stated that enlightenment is a state of mind. He has clearly stated that he felt himself to be the undying consciousness behind the thoughts.

This is the same as Ramana Maharshi stated...

You are awareness. Awareness is another name for you. Since you are awareness there is no need to attain or cultivate it.

All that you have to do is to give up being aware of other things, that is of the not-Self. If one gives up being aware of them then pure awareness alone remains, and that is the Self.

Quote:

Quote:

If you can't share that realization then is all within the mind and not truly "enlightenment."

The quote actually corresponds to Weber's experience and validates what he says.

jonesboy 05-09-2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

I don't think Weber stated that enlightenment is a state of mind. He has clearly stated that he felt himself to be the undying consciousness behind the thoughts.

This is the same as Ramana Maharshi stated...

You are awareness. Awareness is another name for you. Since you are awareness there is no need to attain or cultivate it.

All that you have to do is to give up being aware of other things, that is of the not-Self. If one gives up being aware of them then pure awareness alone remains, and that is the Self.

The quote actually corresponds to Weber's experience and validates what he says.

I would disagree that it is in agreement with Webster. Can you point out where he talks about powers?

Also, Ramana talking about awareness, what does that really mean? Is it the Witness of thoughts? That isn't enlightenment. Is it silence with no thoughts? That isn't enlightenment either.

Just a side note, what is not the Self?

To add to the discussion, awareness behind thoughts shows duality. There is a you and thoughts. Are you familiar with the term Clarity?

Quote:

The manifestation of the primordial state in all its aspects,
its "clarity," on the other hand, is called the nature. It is said
to be "self-perfected" (lhun grub), because it exists spontaneously
from the beginning, like the sun which shines in
space. Clarity is the pure quality of all thought and of all
perceived phenomena, uncontaminated by mental judgment.

For example, when we see a flower, we first perceive
its image without the mind entering into judgment, even if
this phase of perception only lasts for a fraction of a second.
Then, in a second phase, mental judgment enters into the
situation and one categorizes the perception, thinking,
"That's a flower, it's red, it has a specific scent, and so on."
Developing from this, attachment and aversion, acceptance
and rejection all arise, with the consequent creation of karma and transmigration. Clarity is the phase in which perception
is vivid and present, but the mind has not yet entered
into action
. It is the spontaneous manifestation of the
individual's state.

True clarity is where no mental obstructions cloud ones state of being. You are pure.

An enlightened being thinks all the time. It is the clarity of those thoughts that are different.

ajay00 05-09-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

I would disagree that it is in agreement with Webster. Can you point out where he talks about powers?

Where does Ramana talks about powers, or Nisargadatta !

Is it mandatory that upon enlightenment, one should shout thus, 'By the power of enlightenment , I have the power'.

Quote:

Also, Ramana talking about awareness, what does that really mean? Is it the Witness of thoughts? That isn't enlightenment. Is it silence with no thoughts? That isn't enlightenment either.

It means that you have no accurate idea of enlightenment yourself , being unenlightened yourself, though enlightenment is your natural state obscured by the mind in the form of habitual thoughts and emotions.

If one is effortlessly in a state of witnessing or thoughtless awareness, it is enlightenment.

Quote:

Just a side note, what is not the Self?

By this Ramana means all those thoughts that correspond to sensory objects and impressions, which is separate from that of the Self.

Dr. Jean Klein states in this regard...

'Every thought is linked to an image, which in turn is bound to the five senses. All thought, even abstract thinking, is always connected to a particular sense perception, with one exception - the ultimate 'I'. The question "Who am I?" refers to the ultimate subject, which, lacking an image, a projection, dissolves into silence. This is the "I" all living beings have in common: pure I-am-ness.' - Jean Klein

jonesboy 05-09-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Where does Ramana talks about powers, or Nisargadatta !

Is it mandatory that upon enlightenment, one should shout thus, 'By the power of enlightenment , I have the power'.

Powers are part of the realization that is why the great masters in Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism and Christianity all had powers.

No, one doesn't shout but if they are gurus it is how they work with others.

Why do you think transmissions are so common within traditions? Lineages?

If you were to ask me neither one was enlightened.

Wasn't Nisargadatta addicted to smoking?

Ramana meditated all the time. Doing so shows different states of mind which is not enlightenment is it?

Quote:

It means that you have no accurate idea of enlightenment yourself , being unenlightened yourself, though enlightenment is your natural state obscured by the mind in the form of habitual thoughts and emotions.

If one is effortlessly in a state of witnessing or thoughtless awareness, it is enlightenment.

The void is silence and is not enlightenment. If we look at Buddhism teachings you have void=form. It is one half of the puzzle. In Hinduism it is the merging of Shakti and Shiva not just Shiva/void.

The Witness is just the first stage of realizing silence in daily life. It is far from enlightenment. It is kind of like saying that because you can do mindfulness in meditation you are enlightened. That isn't true at all.

Quote:

By this Ramana means all those thoughts that correspond to sensory objects and impressions, which is separate from that of the Self.

Wasn't Ramana a teacher of non duality? Again what is separate from the Self?

Dr. Jean Klein states in this regard...

Quote:

'Every thought is linked to an image, which in turn is bound to the five senses. All thought, even abstract thinking, is always connected to a particular sense perception, with one exception - the ultimate 'I'. The question "Who am I?" refers to the ultimate subject, which, lacking an image, a projection, dissolves into silence. This is the "I" all living beings have in common: pure I-am-ness.' - Jean Klein[/i]

That is an AV school of thought. Silence is the goal but what about Shakti? Also as one progresses so does the silence.

Is the gap between thoughts the pure I-am-ness? No, it is just quiet mind.

Are you enlightened when in a deep meditation with intense silence? No, so what is the difference? Even in daily life, silence is nice but it isn't enlightenment.

Now you may have missed my edited post above but please review the quote on clarity.

jonesboy 05-09-2018 08:33 PM

From the Triadic Heart of Siva.

Quote:

Abhinavagupta does emphasize certain ideas with respect to Siva. Perhaps his primary view is that Siva is the totality of consciousness that is the source of all manifest reality, at once totally transcendent and completely immanent.

Siva who is pervaded in this fashion by a subtle sounding (nada) is composed of consciousness. He who manifests himself at one and the same time as the

16 father and mother is the creator of the entire universe.

Further, he states:

Everything that exists resides within the blessed Lord Bhairava. Whatever

appears within our Heart or leaves the point of our tongue resides, I say, in

Paramesvara, who is not limited by time, is one with consciousness, and is

perpetually united with all the powers. He constitutes a unity which coexists

without contradiction with the hundreds of creations and dissolutions which

are manifested by his contraction and expansion, and it is by means of these

that he expresses his freedom. This reality of Siva, therefore has neither begin-

ning nor end and it is luminous with its own light. Its essence is a complete

freedom which consists in perfect independence determined by the fullness

of all things. Within itself it embraces all principles, which are in effect identical 17 with it.

Not content to let the matter rest there, Abhinavagupta forcefully confutes those who would think of Siva as completely inactive and only transcendent. In the following passage he seems to be directing an attack on those who would equate Siva with the Samkhya notion of the purusa:

The Siva which they imagine, completely pacified, differentiated from all other things, transcendent to all the other paths, similar therefore to something insentient or inert, like a glass, does not exist anywhere at all. Siva in effect is nothing more than this consciousness, which unfolds itself everywhere in the form of a great light. Its very condition as Siva indeed consists in the fact that all the varied forms of the universe appear. This process of manifestation 18 into all the forms of the universe produces itself completely freely within him.

This part.

Quote:

"Abhinavagupta forcefully confutes those who would think of Siva as completely inactive and only transcendent. In the following passage he seems to be directing an attack on those who would equate Siva with the Samkhya notion of the purusa:

The Siva which they imagine, completely pacified, differentiated from all other things, transcendent to all the other paths, similar therefore to something insentient or inert, like a glass, does not exist anywhere at all."

That, in a nutshell, is the difference between Kashmir Shaivism, and Advaita, or the Samkhya system, underlying Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. Those latter two systems still posit a separation or distinction between consciousness and its objects - whereas KS acknowledges the reality of non-duality (wholeness) - and the range between true nature and "outer" objects as consisting of phases of perception and apparent distinction - but not of actual separation, which would, of course, be impossible.

Shivani Devi 05-09-2018 08:59 PM

It is a mental conundrum between the 'outer world' and the 'inner world' and if both are equatable, there would be no 'inner' and no 'outer' - viz, atman and paramatman would be indistinct and therefore no differentiation would arise, but alas it still does.

It is akin to Ramanuja's philosophy of vishishtadvaita, or the unity within diversity.

As I mentioned before, I am a Shiva Bhakta, more along the lines of Shaiva Siddhanta than the Kaula or Trika school of Kashmir Shaivism, as I also believe, like you do, that Shiva is a 'being'.....but to 'become one' with that being is impossible, because there would still be Shiva and there would still be that which merges into it...that which 'becomes one' and then all would BE Shiva (which it is anyway) totally independent from who/what "I" am on any level...and hence the duality would arise again.

To say that I am identical with Shiva means that there is still an "I" and there is still a "Shiva" to be "identical with" and the problem with me being Shiva, means that for many years, I have been loving aught but myself, even though I love myself anyway, But I love Shiva...which means that I exist AS that love.

I gave up trying to mentally understand it...and to embrace Tantra fully because I could not reconcile the conundrum that exists in 'becoming' that which I already am, but not realising this...or even IF I did, not wanting to acknowledge it due to my heart stopping me...due to me being able to experience this divine love over a simple mental construct.

Aum Namah Shivaya

jonesboy 06-09-2018 12:03 AM

Quote:

It is a mental conundrum between the 'outer world' and the 'inner world' and if both are equatable, there would be no 'inner' and no 'outer' - viz, atman and paramatman would be indistinct and therefore no differentiation would arise, but alas it still does.

It is akin to Ramanuja's philosophy of vishishtadvaita, or the unity within diversity.

As I mentioned before, I am a Shiva Bhakta, more along the lines of Shaiva Siddhanta than the Kaula or Trika school of Kashmir Shaivism, as I also believe, like you do, that Shiva is a 'being'.....but to 'become one' with that being is impossible, because there would still be Shiva and there would still be that which merges into it...that which 'becomes one' and then all would BE Shiva (which it is anyway) totally independent from who/what "I" am on any level...and hence the duality would arise again.

To say that I am identical with Shiva means that there is still an "I" and there is still a "Shiva" to be "identical with" and the problem with me being Shiva, means that for many years, I have been loving aught but myself, even though I love myself anyway, But I love Shiva...which means that I exist AS that love.

I gave up trying to mentally understand it...and to embrace Tantra fully because I could not reconcile the conundrum that exists in 'becoming' that which I already am, but not realising this...or even IF I did, not wanting to acknowledge it due to my heart stopping me...due to me being able to experience this divine love over a simple mental construct.

Aum Namah Shivaya

When you merge you are that. There is no you and him.

Don’t forget the Shiva Sutras.

.24. mātrāsvapratyayasaṁdhāne naṣṭasya punarutthānam
When a yogī, in coming out from samādhi, also attempts to maintain awareness of God consciousness in the objective world, then, even though his real nature of self is destroyed by the inferior generation of self-consciousness, he again rises in that supreme nature of the self.

3.25. śivatulyo jāyate
He becomes just like Śiva.

3.26. śarīravṛittirvratam
His virtuous behavior is the maintenance of his body.

3.27. kathā japaḥ
Ordinary talk of life is the recitation of mantra.

3.28. dānamātmajñānam
His only purpose for remaining in his body is to impart knowledge to others.

All that is, can be found within you, is you because it is not anywhere else but within.

Put simply, people can feel others, can reach out and connect to other people right? People astral travel to places.

When one moves beyond the local mind there is no going outward to feel others. There is no energy coming from outside of ones self. It is all within you, as you. You are already inside of me, Shiva, Jesus is inside of me. The deeper I know there is no difference between us the deeper the realization of oneness.

With such a realization there is no astral going to some place for that is dualistic. You are already that so where is there to go?

Maybe the words of Abhinavagupta will help.

From pg 100

Wherever Siva is present, the

whole is present. If the body is a structure composed essentially of Siva,

then all that is manifested from Siva, including the entire array of universes,

may be found present in the body.

Shivani Devi 06-09-2018 03:36 AM

Quote:

When you merge you are that. There is no you and him.

Don’t forget the Shiva Sutras.

.24. mātrāsvapratyayasaṁdhāne naṣṭasya punarutthānam
When a yogī, in coming out from samādhi, also attempts to maintain awareness of God consciousness in the objective world, then, even though his real nature of self is destroyed by the inferior generation of self-consciousness, he again rises in that supreme nature of the self.

3.25. śivatulyo jāyate
He becomes just like Śiva.

3.26. śarīravṛittirvratam
His virtuous behavior is the maintenance of his body.

3.27. kathā japaḥ
Ordinary talk of life is the recitation of mantra.

3.28. dānamātmajñānam
His only purpose for remaining in his body is to impart knowledge to others.

All that is, can be found within you, is you because it is not anywhere else but within.

Put simply, people can feel others, can reach out and connect to other people right? People astral travel to places.

When one moves beyond the local mind there is no going outward to feel others. There is no energy coming from outside of ones self. It is all within you, as you. You are already inside of me, Shiva, Jesus is inside of me. The deeper I know there is no difference between us the deeper the realization of oneness.

With such a realization there is no astral going to some place for that is dualistic. You are already that so where is there to go?

Maybe the words of Abhinavagupta will help.

From pg 100

Wherever Siva is present, the

whole is present. If the body is a structure composed essentially of Siva,

then all that is manifested from Siva, including the entire array of universes,

may be found present in the body.

Namaste, Tom.

I once posted an article on here and that article, although a lengthy read, explains it far better than I ever could. Please let me see if I can find it again and indulge me by reading it. Thank you for your time and patience.

http://anaditeaching.com/new/wp-cont...f-Identity.pdf

Aum Namah Shivaya

Shivani Devi 06-09-2018 06:20 AM

It is also very interesting to follow the timelines of the proponents of all spiritual and philosophical thought within India and how they correspond and correlate.

One can plainly see that a lot of plagiarism of ideas was going on, even though all that really differed was the name of the deity (or no deity whatsoever) with which they each associated.

We shall start with Abhinavagupta.

Abhinavagupta (950 – 1016 AD) who founded the Trika school of Kashmir Shaivism.

From there, we shall move on to Ramanujacharya (1017 AD - 1137 AD) who founded the school of Qualified Non duality (Bedha-abheda tattwa) as it applies to Vaishnavism.

From there, we will go to Basavanna (1105 AD to 1167 AD) who founded the Lingayat (Virashiavism) movement also based upon Qualified Non duality as it applies to Shaivism.

Many, MANY Hindu saints, sages and philosophers of all different schools lived during the Indian Chola period (900 AD - 1200 AD), each borrowing ideas and concepts from each other to form their own schools of thought, depending on individual beliefs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basava
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakulisha
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Shankara
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramanuja
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhinavagupta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirumular
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haridasa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allama_Prabhu

All born and died within 100 years of each other. =)

Here is also something very interesting I found:
https://link.springer.com/article/10...613-016-0045-5

If one follows and traces the philosophy and art of the time, it isn't difficult to see the connection and how the schools of Atimarga and Mantramarga were formed.

Well, that was an enjoyable exercise this afternoon. It also illustrates there is a deep, hidden knowledge within me.

Aum Namah Shivaya

ajay00 06-09-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Powers are part of the realization that is why the great masters in Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism and Christianity all had powers.

Even without realization one can get psychic powers with practice. But these powers have the problem of ballooning the disciple's ego, and hence the reason why most teachers frown upon them.

Sri Ramakrishna did not attribute any spirituality to the manifestation of these powers, and even removed a psychic power of a disciple which he felt was bloating his ego.

Buddha similarly excommunicated a disciple who manifested his psychic powers in violation of Buddha's teachings.

It is only the enlightened one who can employ these powers properly due to lack of ego.

Quote:

No, one doesn't shout but if they are gurus it is how they work with others.

There are many enlightened one's who do not teach as they are quite content with the bliss. Only a few teach due to compassion. The few who teach display powers to instill faith in the disciples or for efficient work.

The enlightened one is content with the bliss of the Self, and does not need display of powers to gain egoistic pleasures. Such are the mark of a charlatan.

Quote:

If you were to ask me neither one was enlightened.

Wasn't Nisargadatta addicted to smoking?

Ramana meditated all the time. Doing so shows different states of mind which is not enlightenment is it?

Nisargadatta was a cigarette maker by profession and smoked for relaxation. He was a nonvegetarian as well. He was however adept in application and applied his guru's teaching of being in 'I am ' state of awareness, and through steady application attained enlightenment in three years.

Ramana meditated in earlier times to stabilize his experience. He stated thus,"
“Jnana, once revealed, takes time to steady itself….the Self remains veiled by vasanas (latent impressions or tendencies) and reveals itself only in their absence.….To remain stabilized in it, further efforts are necessary.”

Quote:

The void is silence and is not enlightenment. If we look at Buddhism teachings you have void=form. It is one half of the puzzle. In Hinduism it is the merging of Shakti and Shiva not just Shiva/void.

You are confusing and mixing tantric teachings with advaitan or nondual teachings and enlightenment.

In your path, tantra and kundalini are valid for attaining Self-realization, but the philosophies are markedly different from nonduality or advaita.

Quote:

The Witness is just the first stage of realizing silence in daily life. It is far from enlightenment. It is kind of like saying that because you can do mindfulness in meditation you are enlightened. That isn't true at all.

I emphasized 'effortless witnessing or mindfulness'. It is very hard for the unenlightened to be in the witnessing or mindful state effortlessly due to the vasanas or unconscious impressions which create psychological time through desires in the form of cravings and aversions, that force the mind to be in the past or future.

Quote:

That is an AV school of thought. Silence is the goal but what about Shakti? Also as one progresses so does the silence.

Shakti is part of the tantra or kundalini school, and I am not adept in it. I only stated the Advaitan perspective with respect to enlightenment.

jonesboy 06-09-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Even without realization one can get psychic powers with practice. But these powers have the problem of ballooning the disciple's ego, and hence the reason why most teachers frown upon them.

Sri Ramakrishna did not attribute any spirituality to the manifestation of these powers, and even removed a psychic power of a disciple which he felt was bloating his ego.

Buddha similarly excommunicated a disciple who manifested his psychic powers in violation of Buddha's teachings.

It is only the enlightened one who can employ these powers properly due to lack of ego.

If you desire abilities, states of mind they will be forever out of your reach.

The Buddha displayed a lot of powers. As a matter of fact it is part of the definition of being a Buddha.

If you have quotes on the two instances I would like to see them. I can see where you may not want to teach someone misusing their abilities but to say you removed them from someone... interesting story.

Quote:

There are many enlightened one's who do not teach as they are quite content with the bliss. Only a few teach due to compassion. The few who teach display powers to instill faith in the disciples or for efficient work.

The enlightened one is content with the bliss of the Self, and does not need display of powers to gain egoistic pleasures. Such are the mark of a charlatan.

If you are enlightened you are beyond the ego. They are just a part of your being. Nothing about ego in moving your arm is there?

Quote:

Nisargadatta was a cigarette maker by profession and smoked for relaxation. He was a nonvegetarian as well. He was however adept in application and applied his guru's teaching of being in 'I am ' state of awareness, and through steady application attained enlightenment in three years.

Such an addiction shows obstructions. Saying an enlightened master needs to smoke to relax again shows issues that are far from an enlightened master.

Quote:

Ramana meditated in earlier times to stabilize his experience. He stated thus,"
“Jnana, once revealed, takes time to steady itself….the Self remains veiled by vasanas (latent impressions or tendencies) and reveals itself only in their absence.….To remain stabilized in it, further efforts are necessary.”

Yes, until life and meditation become one and the same. Yet Ramana never stopped.

Quote:

You are confusing and mixing tantric teachings with advaitan or nondual teachings and enlightenment.

In your path, tantra and kundalini are valid for attaining Self-realization, but the philosophies are markedly different from nonduality or advaita.

Tantric is non-dual. Kundalini is the self.

Here is what Ramana had to say about it.

Quote:

Ramana Maharshi mentioned that Kundalini is nothing but the natural energy of the Self, where Self is the universal consciousness (Paramatma) present in every being and that the individual mind of thoughts cloaks this natural energy from unadulterated expression. Advaita teaches self-realization, enlightenment, God-consciousness, and nirvana. But initial Kundalini awakening is just the beginning of the actual spiritual experience. Self-inquiry meditation is considered a very natural and simple means of reaching this goal.

Quote:

I emphasized 'effortless witnessing or mindfulness'. It is very hard for the unenlightened to be in the witnessing or mindful state effortlessly due to the vasanas or unconscious impressions which create psychological time through desires in the form of cravings and aversions, that force the mind to be in the past or future.

From experience, effortless witnessing or what is often referred to as The Witness is just the first stage of silence in daily life. It is far from the end stage. Are you familiar with Samantha or Shine? There are stages one goes through with the practice until one reaches a state called natural shine.

Please look up in the Buddhist section Dzogchen the Practice of Contemplation or if you wish I can describe the stages from Witnessing to Rigpa or Sahaja Samadhi if you wish?

Quote:

Shakti is part of the tantra or kundalini school, and I am not adept in it. I only stated the Advaitan perspective with respect to enlightenment.

It is also a part of Advaitan as well, as I showed you earlier with the quote from Ramana.

jonesboy 06-09-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Namaste, Tom.

I once posted an article on here and that article, although a lengthy read, explains it far better than I ever could. Please let me see if I can find it again and indulge me by reading it. Thank you for your time and patience.

http://anaditeaching.com/new/wp-cont...f-Identity.pdf

Aum Namah Shivaya

Are you a follower of Anada?

He who transcends all previous traditions and writes pdf's saying how every tradition is wrong?

Shivani Devi 06-09-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

Are you a follower of Anada?

He who transcends all previous traditions and writes pdf's saying how every tradition is wrong?

No, I am not a follower...never really heard of him before. I just resonated with much of that article...especially where it says that love always reaches and never arrives...and that God is like a rainbow...all of that stuff....but I don't really wish to debate this anymore anyway...too busy watching re-runs of Ghost Adventures. lol

I'll just leave it saying that Shaiva Siddhanta has nothing whatsoever to do with Kashmir Shaivism and I belong to the former school...you know, those who have Siddhars and Nayanars.

I am also a follower of the one who wrote the PDF below:

http://www.dlshq.org/download/nayanar.pdf

Aum Namah Shivaya

jonesboy 06-09-2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

It is also very interesting to follow the timelines of the proponents of all spiritual and philosophical thought within India and how they correspond and correlate.

One can plainly see that a lot of plagiarism of ideas was going on, even though all that really differed was the name of the deity (or no deity whatsoever) with which they each associated.

We shall start with Abhinavagupta.

Abhinavagupta (950 – 1016 AD) who founded the Trika school of Kashmir Shaivism.

From there, we shall move on to Ramanujacharya (1017 AD - 1137 AD) who founded the school of Qualified Non duality (Bedha-abheda tattwa) as it applies to Vaishnavism.

From there, we will go to Basavanna (1105 AD to 1167 AD) who founded the Lingayat (Virashiavism) movement also based upon Qualified Non duality as it applies to Shaivism.

Many, MANY Hindu saints, sages and philosophers of all different schools lived during the Indian Chola period (900 AD - 1200 AD), each borrowing ideas and concepts from each other to form their own schools of thought, depending on individual beliefs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basava
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakulisha
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Shankara
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramanuja
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhinavagupta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirumular
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haridasa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allama_Prabhu

All born and died within 100 years of each other. =)

Here is also something very interesting I found:
https://link.springer.com/article/10...613-016-0045-5

If one follows and traces the philosophy and art of the time, it isn't difficult to see the connection and how the schools of Atimarga and Mantramarga were formed.

Well, that was an enjoyable exercise this afternoon. It also illustrates there is a deep, hidden knowledge within me.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Hinduism has a lot of traditions no doubt.

Here is an interesting thread and more and more evidence is coming forth that KS is where a lot of Buddhist tantra teachings came from.

https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/460...comment-806390

Shivani Devi 06-09-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Hinduism has a lot of traditions no doubt.

Here is an interesting thread and more and more evidence is coming forth that KS is where a lot of Buddhist tantra teachings came from.

https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/460...comment-806390

The links within that thread also make for a great historical read. Thank you for providing them.

All I can say in my 'defense' is that IF I am Siva, who is the one who rides the bull, has a garland of snakes and wears the moon in His matted locks? because I certainly know that I do not.

However, I made my position perfectly clear in my previous post. I worship the puranic Siva and even though we comprise the same essence, I am as 'alike' to Him as I am to you...in spiritual essence only, but other than that, we are as different as a difference can ever be.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Shivani Devi 06-09-2018 02:06 PM

Ooh, I liked reading this link posted in that thread:
http://www.sutrajournal.com/the-tant...stopher-wallis

I have much time for Christopher Wallis.

jonesboy 06-09-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

The links within that thread also make for a great historical read. Thank you for providing them.

All I can say in my 'defense' is that IF I am Siva, who is the one who rides the bull, has a garland of snakes and wears the moon in His matted locks? because I certainly know that I do not.

However, I made my position perfectly clear in my previous thread. I worship the puranic Siva and even though we comprise the same essence, I am as 'alike' to Him as I am to you...in spiritual essence only, but other than that, we are as different as a difference can ever be.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Within your tradition and the difference between KS.

Kashmir Shaivism claimed to supersede Shaiva Siddhanta, a dualistic tradition which scholars consider normative tantric Shaivism.[5] The Shaiva Siddhanta goal of becoming an ontologically distinct Shiva (through Shiva's grace) was replaced by recognizing oneself as Shiva who, in Kashmir Shaivism's monism, is the entirety of the universe.

Once you remove your bondages that keep you from the realization.. you would be riding the bull :hug3:

Kinda like we are all already Buddha's.. just all the junk that keeps us from the realization of it....

jonesboy 06-09-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Ooh, I liked reading this link posted in that thread:
http://www.sutrajournal.com/the-tant...stopher-wallis

I have much time for Christopher Wallis.

Excellent, thank you :)

Shivani Devi 06-09-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Within your tradition and the difference between KS.

Kashmir Shaivism claimed to supersede Shaiva Siddhanta, a dualistic tradition which scholars consider normative tantric Shaivism.[5] The Shaiva Siddhanta goal of becoming an ontologically distinct Shiva (through Shiva's grace) was replaced by recognizing oneself as Shiva who, in Kashmir Shaivism's monism, is the entirety of the universe.

Once you remove your bondages that keep you from the realization.. you would be riding the bull :hug3:

Kinda like we are all already Buddha's.. just all the junk that keeps us from the realization of it....

We have a tradition in Shaiva Siddhanta...much like that which is expounded in Patanjali's Yoga Sutras (Patanjali was also of the same school) and it is called Ishwara Pranidhana - surrender to a personal manifestation of consciousness.

If I really knew or could accept that I was that, I would have nothing to surrender to, would I? there would also be no Divine Grace.

There is nothing wrong or bad about belonging to a dualistic school of Shaivism, because it is only through the duality that non duality can be attained...in much the same way as how the Christians need Jesus to realise God...or the shaktas/tantrikas need Devi to realise God.

The Saguna aspect of Brahman acts like a 'middleman'.

I also can't help loving Shiva for who/what He is and not who/what I am, so I wouldn't want to ride Nandi anyway. lol

Yes, it is cultural conditioning...but why call it Shiva at all, if it doesn't have Shiva's attributes? why not just cut straight to the chase and call it Brahman? Then Kashmir Shaivism would be no different to Advaita Vedanta...I could never get that...and don't think I want to either.

Thank you for your time and patience with me. :hug3:

Aum Namah Shivaya