Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Films (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The "Carry On" Films (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24234)

Honza 23-10-2011 09:03 AM

The "Carry On" Films

I used to love these films as a kid. I still look back at them fondly these days. There were so many good ones to choose from. "Carry On Screaming", "Carry On Cleo", "Carry On Up The Khyber"....lol.

The humour was/is genius and very reminiscent of an age gone past. I do miss the old days. :redface:

norseman 23-10-2011 09:59 AM

Innuendo and smut is a fine British Art form. Sadly missed ! Oh for another Benny Hill !

Soul Searching 23-10-2011 01:56 PM

Careful that man !! ....... don't mention Benny ...... you'll have the PC brigade after you ...... :tongue:

Amazes me how he was villified, poor old chap, but yet there is way more explicit "smut" (for want of a better word) in the average R+B video shown on TV these days ........ the worlds gone quite mad methinks ................. :wink:

norseman 23-10-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soul Searching
Careful that man !! ....... don't mention Benny ...... you'll have the PC brigade after you ...... :tongue:

Amazes me how he was villified, poor old chap, but yet there is way more explicit "smut" (for want of a better word) in the average R+B video shown on TV these days ........ the worlds gone quite mad methinks ................. :wink:

Nah " R & B videos are just so much excrement :D

Neville 23-10-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soul Searching

Hello Soul Searching,

The late Franki Howard springs to mind as I read ths with his "Up Pompeii" series and if my memory serves, he also appeared n a carry on movie or two :smile:

norseman 23-10-2011 02:13 PM

http://youtu.be/8e1xvyTdBZI :D

Soul Searching 23-10-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neville
Hello Soul Searching,

The late Franki Howard springs to mind as I read ths with his "Up Pompeii" series and if my memory serves, he also appeared n a carry on movie or two :smile:

Ooh Er Missus !! ....... Titter Ye Not !! ............ :tongue:

Soul Searching 23-10-2011 02:14 PM

Good Old Ernie !! ................... :D

Emmalevine 23-10-2011 09:15 PM

Oh I absolutely love the Carry Ons! Unforgettable stuff. I find the lives of the stars fascinating too although sadly quite a few of them had difficult issues to grapple with. Amazing actors/people all around. I think I started a thread on Charles Hawtrey after reading his biog some months ago - if you scroll down you might find it. His later life was swamped in regret and alcohol abuse and it struck me as very poignant that he was unable to cherish what he had achieved because was consumed with bitteness over what he had not. A sad lesson for us all. Anyway, will stop rambling now. Great films.

Honza 24-10-2011 06:58 AM

"Infamy, infamy - everybody has got it in-for-me!"

Julius Ceasar in Carry On Cleo. lol.

norseman 24-10-2011 07:19 AM

@Starbuck. Perhaps all the great comic actors had a dark side. Think about Tony Hancock [one of the greatest !] - a manic depressive.

dream jo 25-05-2015 04:29 PM

luv evry 1 of thm aprt frm 1 it wz dun in 1992 cary ob colobus wz not 1 of bst 1s coz a lot of cast had died
charlse harty litl skiny mad had me in stish our hellllllllllllllllobernard breslaw wz so funny wen he wz dreses as a pregnat woman
keny willims wz so fuuny 2

dream jo 30-05-2015 06:45 PM

carry on

saw carrry on up kyber 2 day :icon_frown: :hug2: :smile: :icon_eek: :wink:

durgaa 30-05-2015 07:52 PM

They're ok if you want to live in a sewer..

Tobi 31-05-2015 01:32 AM

I thought Benny Hill was hilarious. But I am not very pc or advanced in many ways...

And even thinking about Monty Python....well....:D

Honza 31-05-2015 01:55 AM

Comedy was much more "funny" in those days. Like Morecambe and Wise or the Two Ronnies. I miss the innocence.

dream jo 31-05-2015 07:50 AM

hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobi
I thought Benny Hill was hilarious. But I am not very pc or advanced in many ways...

And even thinking about Monty Python....well....:D

he wz funny humer seas 2 hav gon yhes days

dream jo 31-05-2015 07:52 AM

hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
Comedy was much more "funny" in those days. Like Morecambe and Wise or the Two Ronnies. I miss the innocence.

it wz so funnnnny now evry is thng is so pc evn sum of kids songs is not alowd now coz of it

dream jo 02-06-2015 08:49 PM

hi

all humer seasm 2 hav gon i did wth ths seris i trht it wz so funnny i did
evry 1 h a t es chris it wzz so funny
greg chris bst buddy wz so funny u so in thr
got 3 seris of box sets if put lst sean on box set ill say u so in thr dream lol:angel9: :angel9: :angel9:

H:O:R:A:C:E 02-06-2015 10:21 PM

i don't recall which movie it was in, but i remember the line:
kenneth williams was portraying an interior decorator, and he responded to someone with: "i'll shove a creeper up your trellis".
it still makes me laugh.

Honza 03-06-2015 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream jo
all humer seasm 2 hav gon i did wth ths seris i trht it wz so funnny i did
evry 1 h a t es chris it wzz so funny
greg chris bst buddy wz so funny u so in thr
got 3 seris of box sets if put lst sean on box set ill say u so in thr dream lol:angel9: :angel9: :angel9:

Can you try writing in English? I can't even read what you said!

H:O:R:A:C:E 03-06-2015 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza
Can you try writing in English? I can't even read what you said!

respectfully,

"Can you try writing in English?" sounds to be a put down, plain and simple.
i imagine that it is prompted by frustration.

"I can't even read what you said!" is a self put down, but, i believe, inaccurate.
"i have difficulty understanding!" is the issue it seems.

personally, i do not wish all people to be cookie cutter versions of each other.
i enjoy the variety.

Honza 03-06-2015 06:30 AM

We are not at this forum to send each other texts. So why should people write what they have to say in some sort of weird text code.....I don't even have a mobile phone and have never sent anyone a text. Trying to decipher what dream jo had written was more trouble than it was worth.

I find it quite disrespectful that she expects us to understand what she had just said. It is not that hard to write a full sentence without resorting to text codes.

H:O:R:A:C:E 03-06-2015 05:29 PM

imagine if someone had had a stroke.
during the course of their recovery, they may be unable to communicate in the manner which they used to.
still, they do the best that they can. as they regain functionality, the speech may improve.
imagine a child, trying to learn a language.
they may slur words, lisp, use poor sentence structure. still, they do the best that they can.
imagine someone who has "oppressive depression"... perhaps they need to pepper their efforts at communication
with colorful phraseology or cutesy word play, so as to muster the strength to speak at all.
there are a myriad of possibilities as to why a thing may appear a certain way,
the labels that we might place on it do not define its identity.
(what is art to some may be an eyesore to others... it is what it is regardless)

the purpose of communications is at issue.
transferal of meaning.
i do not believe that the intention was disrespect.

Howla Dark 03-06-2015 05:46 PM

I like "Carry on Don't Lose your head." The sets and costumes are gorgeous and it's almost like being back in the 18th century. Barbara Windsor wasn't in that film but tbh I thought Joan Simms looked like a pretty blonde bombshell in there. She appears usually frumpy in the other films but that one made her beautiful.

dream jo 03-06-2015 05:56 PM

hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howla Dark
I like "Carry on Don't Lose your head." The sets and costumes are gorgeous and it's almost like being back in the 18th century. Barbara Windsor wasn't in that film but tbh I thought Joan Simms looked like a pretty blonde bombshell in there. She appears usually frumpy in the other films but that one made her beautiful.

it is funny u cud laff yore hed off lol

Faith33 03-06-2015 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H:O:R:A:C:E
imagine if someone had had a stroke.
during the course of their recovery, they may be unable to communicate in the manner which they used to.
still, they do the best that they can. as they regain functionality, the speech may improve.
imagine a child, trying to learn a language.
they may slur words, lisp, use poor sentence structure. still, they do the best that they can.
imagine someone who has "oppressive depression"... perhaps they need to pepper their efforts at communication
with colorful phraseology or cutesy word play, so as to muster the strength to speak at all.
there are a myriad of possibilities as to why a thing may appear a certain way,
the labels that we might place on it do not define its identity.
(what is art to some may be an eyesore to others... it is what it is regardless)

the purpose of communications is at issue.
transferal of meaning.
i do not believe that the intention was disrespect.

Beautifully said, Horace...my thoughts exactly.
We never know what the person opposite of us has been/ is going through in their life.
When we listen with our hearts, it all makes perfect sense.

By the way, I have no idea what carry on films are. :confused:
( yes, I could look it up...lol)

dream jo 03-06-2015 06:32 PM

hi

hi iv a dyslex prob wish can carz me typo eros it can

H:O:R:A:C:E 04-06-2015 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hope33
By the way, I have no idea what carry on films are. :confused:
( yes, I could look it up...lol)

From Wikipedia:
"The Carry On franchise primarily consists of a sequence of 31 low-budget British comedy Motion Pictures (1958–92),
four Christmas Specials, a Television Series of thirteen episodes, and three West End and provincial stage plays."

What's a Carry On? - The Story of the Carry On Films and 40th Anniversary Reunion, 1998:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq4KVOEVeEw

Faith33 04-06-2015 07:10 AM

Horace, I can't thank you enough for the video link.
What a marvelous dicovery this is for me! where have I been all this time, not having heard of this most brilliant and hilarious concept.

Now I know where to go when in need of a good laugh...Thank you!

dream jo 04-06-2015 07:17 AM

hi

Quote:

Horace, I can't thank you enough for the video link.
What a marvelous dicovery this is for me! where have I been all this time, not having heard of this most brilliant and hilarious concept.

Now I know where to go when in need of a good laugh...Thank you!

u will lafff yore hed on off u will lol

Faith33 04-06-2015 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream jo
u will lafff yore hed on off u will lol

Haha, I already did at 4 in the morning!
It has lifted my spirits, it did! :wink: :hug3:

dream jo 04-06-2015 07:24 AM

hi

Quote:

Haha, I already did at 4 in the morning!
It has lifted my spirits, it did! :wink: :hug3:

u cnt beat old 1s lk yh ths thy dont do it lk ths no mre big man berne breslw is funnny he iskennny wilims is funny

cary
carry on laf yore hed off u will all day on ths carry on campin wz so funny

dream jo 03-09-2017 10:05 PM

hi

i luvd thm all aprt frm 1 it wz dun in 92 all co stars it ether died or gon on 2 do other thngs u cud say
sid wen he died carryon died 2 u cud say in 76
cary on emanul wz wen mst thn wear still hear
ken willims wz so lo, 2 he wz
berdwd breslw gentl gintet wz so lol 2
jone sims
only a few lft now u cud say

Serenity69 12-04-2018 01:38 PM

Carry On Camping
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDtRRdpDd2g

dream jo 12-04-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity69

1 of my favs it is

Busby 18-04-2018 02:02 PM

For me, one of these actors ruined every film. This was Sidney James, anybody else would have done a better job than this person.
I've just been catching up on you tube with; Game On, The Brittas Empire and The Thin Blue Line, all old now but still funny. There are plenty more too.

Honza 20-04-2018 03:44 AM

Oh come on....Sid James was one of a kind. Irreplaceable.