Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritual Development (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   how do you feel about your own death? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9353)

Shabda 28-01-2011 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvergirl
Haha, yeah, sendus a post card!

post cards, phone calls, internet messengers, maybe ill even post on this forum~! :D:computer:

ROM 28-01-2011 04:38 AM

Why should death be feared? It's natural and happens to everyone. It's merely a rebirth into the spiritual sphere so you can continue your journey. Death is one of the most important things of life so I think it's healthy to come to terms with it. It's inevitable and it doesn't have to be violent or painful if you don't let it.

CuriousSnowflake 28-01-2011 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neville
It is a reasonably safe supposition for me to suggest that at the end of this life we will all face physical death.

There are a number of responses to this inevitavility in people,

Some Dread it. Some anticipate it to be a new adventure beginning.

I don't want to get intto the nature of the death, because I feel sure most of us would dislike a long and protracted illness or a violent death. I am talking about the end life itself.

Does it terrify you or are you a little bit curious? maybe you can't wait to be back amongst the ether.

I have a romantic view of it and see myself being re united with old loves, friends, pets that departed this plane prior to me.

It occurs to me too , that a great many will not spare it a thought because "now is all there is".

Anyway, I look at it as homecoming of a sort. What do you feel about dying?

I have never had even the slightest fear of death, even when I was a little kid. I think about death and the only feeling I get is anticipation. Why? Because that's when I'll find out for sure what this whole thing is all about.

CS

Gauss 28-01-2011 08:28 AM

Since I cultivate in Falun Dafa I have a wish with my cultivation to reach an immortal status. During my cultivation I must let go of all my attachments to emotions, desires and worldly matters. At the same time I transform my body with physical exercises.

When I have reached the realm of Arhat(first immortal level) I can "die" with a smile on my lips.:smile:

Before I started self-cultivation I was actually very sad that I had not figured out the meaning of life and was quite depressed all the time.

/Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good, Falun Dafa is good.

Gauss 28-01-2011 12:16 PM

I thought this text from Buddhism would be interesting to many readers in here:

Buddhism Beliefs

Since some background knowledge of rebirth and karma is useful for understanding Buddhism, there now follows a brief introduction to these topics taken from Geshe Kelsang’s book, Eight Steps to Happiness:
The mind is neither physical, nor a by-product of purely physical processes, but a formless continuum that is a separate entity from the body.
The mind is neither physical, nor a by-product of purely physical processes, but a formless continuum that is a separate entity from the body. When the body disintegrates at death, the mind does not cease. Although our superficial conscious mind ceases, it does so by dissolving into a deeper level of consciousness, call ‘the very subtle mind’. The continuum of our very subtle mind has no beginning and no end, and it is this mind which, when completely purified, transforms into the omniscient mind of a Buddha.
Every action we perform leaves an imprint, or potential, on our very subtle mind, and each karmic potential eventually gives rise to its own effect. Our mind is like a field, and performing actions is like sowing seeds in that field. Positive or virtuous actions sow the seeds of future happiness, and negative or non-virtuous actions sow the seeds of future suffering. This definite relationship between actions and their effects – virtue causing happiness and non-virtue causing suffering – is know as the ‘law of karma’. An understanding of the law of karma is the basis of Buddhist morality.
After we die our very subtle mind leaves our body and enters the intermediate state, or ‘bardo’ in Tibetan. In this subtle dream-like state we experience many different visions that arise from the karmic potentials that were activated at the time of our death. These visions may be pleasant or terrifying depending on the karma that ripens. Once these karmic seeds have fully ripened they impel us to take rebirth without choice.
It is important to understand that as ordinary samsaric beings we do not choose our rebirth but are reborn solely in accordance with our karma. If good karma ripens we are reborn in a fortunate state, either as a human or a god, but if negative karma ripens we are reborn in a lower state, as an animal, a hungry ghost, or a hell being. It is as if we are blown to our future lives by the winds of our karma, sometimes ending up in higher rebirths, sometimes in lower rebirths.
This uninterrupted cycle of death and rebirth without choice is called ‘cyclic existence’, or ‘samsara’ in Sanskrit.
This uninterrupted cycle of death and rebirth without choice is called ‘cyclic existence’, or ‘samsara’ in Sanskrit. Samsara is like a Ferris wheel, sometimes taking us up into the three fortunate realms, sometimes down into the three lower realms. The driving force of the wheel of samsara is our contaminated actions motivated by delusions, and the hub of the wheel is self-grasping ignorance. For as long as we remain on this wheel we shall experience an unceasing cycle of suffering and dissatisfaction, and we shall have no opportunity to experience pure, lasting happiness. By practicing the Buddhist path to liberation and enlightenment, however, we can destroy self-grasping, thereby liberating ourself from the cycle of uncontrolled rebirth and attaining a state of perfect peace and freedom.
We shall then be in a position to help others to do the same. A more detailed explanation of rebirth and karma can be found in the books Introduction to Buddhism and Joyful Path of Good Fortune.

Smiler 28-01-2011 12:33 PM

Great Post :)

I dont fear death .. I am looking forward to going home..my visual is that I am a little speck of light and I just settle down nice and cosy in this enormous brilliant light.. Ahhhh!

I probadly upon dying hope as I look back on my life .. want to know that I did my best and my heart was full with love and peace for all.

:)

athribiristan 28-01-2011 01:07 PM

Death will come and I will neither welcome it nor shy away. I will meet it as I meet all things, fully aware and staring it in the eyes. Death defines life, they are two sides of a coin. When we are aware at all times that Death is coming for us it lends a vitality to our actions. Without Death there would be no force to propel us forward, we could simply put things off until tomorrow indefinitely.

With Love,
athribiristan

Uhmar 28-01-2011 02:01 PM

I am dying.
Evey moment that passes is a death it is over it is gone.It died.
Each day that passes is a death of self and time.
I am slowly with each passing second dying....aren't you
I do not fear it..and some days I relish it.

Dilchannan 28-01-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neville
It is a reasonably safe supposition for me to suggest that at the end of this life we will all face physical death.

There are a number of responses to this inevitavility in people,

Some Dread it. Some anticipate it to be a new adventure beginning.

I don't want to get intto the nature of the death, because I feel sure most of us would dislike a long and protracted illness or a violent death. I am talking about the end life itself.

Does it terrify you or are you a little bit curious? maybe you can't wait to be back amongst the ether.

I have a romantic view of it and see myself being re united with old loves, friends, pets that departed this plane prior to me.

It occurs to me too , that a great many will not spare it a thought because "now is all there is".

Anyway, I look at it as homecoming of a sort. What do you feel about dying?

I too romanticize death as well. Thats not to say I want to die today, but if that is how it's to work out, than I will be alright.

My body is not me, my soul shall go home once the body dies and goes back into the earth. As will (in my faith) all other souls.

It is such a wonderful experience to be human right now, but for me just as exciting to go home when the time comes...

Peace

Swami Chihuahuananda 28-01-2011 10:50 PM

the buddhism material sounds 'right' to me. always did ; probably always will, more or less. it's not the onmly model I use. I usually chuckle to myself whenever 'bardo' comes up, because I had my chart done way back, and the guy who did it said "what a strange window you came through ; you have a tendency to live in bardo ". back then , it was an unpleasant way to be, for there were many things weighing down. now... the weight is gone and it's like there is an opening into other places . I went to some of those in the dreams last night . another part of the forum....