Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Buddhism (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Why Buddhism " master" avoiding debate ? (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49232)

psychoslice 24-04-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TThor
Hi everybody!
When I first read the thread, I thought to myself, it is true, Buddhist masters always avoid debates, probably because silence is the eloquence of wisdom; in other words, "Truth" cannot be said in words, as we all know.

But then I remembered my friends who visited and lived in Buddhist monasteries in Asia and they told me that every day there were special gatherings were the monks would argue and test one another by questions on the doctrine. We see it also in different Buddhist movies.

I guess that there are moments to argue (and learn by argument), and moments to remain silent. Recognizing the one from the other is probably also part of being Awakened :smile:

I think that is true, but i also feel that once one is truly Enlightened, then all arguments stop, not all Buddhist are truly Enlightened, if they were they wouldn't be a Buddhist, they would be the Buddha.

TThor 25-04-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoslice
I think that is true, but i also feel that once one is truly Enlightened, then all arguments stop, not all Buddhist are truly Enlightened, if they were they wouldn't be a Buddhist, they would be the Buddha.

Well said :)

Time 27-04-2013 11:45 AM

You have to be careful with buddhism. Its been doctrined, and is closer to a religion now, rather then a school of thought.

The absolute basics are `suffering is inevitable, in order to achive enlightenment, you have to aknowledge suffering as part of life, and experience the ups as well as the downs of life". Only then can you become "enlightened", which generally means escaping the "cycle" of life

Anything else, generally speaking, are "rules" made up of other people following the path.

Danlee 05-05-2013 03:16 PM

I have read some book about buddhism, had have some talk with buddhist.I don't know where you encounted the case you said.If you have some questions,I am glad to conversate with you.

Juanita 06-05-2013 04:40 AM

There are two distinct forms of Buddhism--Hinayana and Mahayana --within each are many branches and many sects.... One of these sects would simply tell you. "Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy and continue chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo."...

TThor 06-05-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juanita
There are two distinct forms of Buddhism--Hinayana and Mahayana --within each are many branches and many sects.... One of these sects would simply tell you. "Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy and continue chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo."...

Yes! These Hinayana and Mayahana are very important... and there are indeed countless branches and sects. Like Time also said, the general westerner public is often unaware of what is really Buddhism.

As for the particular subject here, some great Indian master, Sri Ramakrishna, was saying that when you start filling a water jug, it makes a lot of noise, but when it is almost full, it is silent! :tongue: (comparing masters to beginners). Hence this idea is of course not unique to Buddhism.

Samana 07-05-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

There are two distinct forms of Buddhism--Hinayana and Mahayana

Quote:

Originally Posted by TThor
Yes! These Hinayana and Mayahana are very important

I wonder where you both got the "Hinayana" word from, because in truth, no such form of Buddhism exists.

Please read the information at the link "No Hinayana in Buddhism"

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/NoHinayana.pdf

excerpt from the text:

"For centuries, the reputation of the Conservative Buddhist schools had been stigmatized by the term “Hinayana”, used indiscriminately to label them. The Pali/Sanskrit word “Hinayana” means “low, undesirable, or despicable vehicle”. It is a contemptuous term coined by early Mahayanists to label all the early Conservative schools that did not subscribe to the Mahayana doctrine.

There is no Hinayana in Buddhism. There never was. Hinayana is a false derogatory term. Today the law considers it as defamatory. Buddhists and non-Buddhists alike, are strongly advised to stop using it to describe any Buddhist school, whether existing or extinct.

There is no legal or moral justification in using this libellous term anymore!"

Kind regards,

Samana

Juanita 08-05-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samana
I wonder where you both got the "Hinayana" word from, because in truth, no such form of Buddhism exists.

excerpt from the text:

"For centuries, the reputation of the Conservative Buddhist schools had been stigmatized by the term “Hinayana”, used indiscriminately to label them. The Pali/Sanskrit word “Hinayana” means “low, undesirable, or despicable vehicle”. It is a contemptuous term coined by early Mahayanists to label all the early Conservative schools that did not subscribe to the Mahayana doctrine.,k,

There is no Hinayana in Buddhism. There never was. Hinayana is a false derogatory term. Today the law considers it as defamatory. Buddhists and non-Buddhists alike, are strongly advised to stop using it to describe any Buddhist school, whether existing or extinct.

Kind regards,

Samana

Buddhism has always fallen into two schools of opinion and belief, altho Hinayana meaning lesser vehicle, has mostly fallen by the wayside and Theravada has taken it's place, especially in S.E. Asia....Mayahana, the great vehicle, remains the prevalent Buddhism of today.....Sorry, but you cannot change history.....

TThor 08-05-2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samana

excerpt from the text:
"For centuries, the reputation of the Conservative Buddhist schools had been stigmatized by the term “Hinayana”, used indiscriminately to label them. The Pali/Sanskrit word “Hinayana” means “low, undesirable, or despicable vehicle”. It is a contemptuous term coined by early Mahayanists to label all the early Conservative schools that did not subscribe to the Mahayana doctrine.

Kind regards,
Samana

To say that Hinayana doesn't exist is misleading. It has existed and still does. The problem is that it might not be the real Hinayana that has survived. Time always tries to hide the real message. We might be very surprised to find what was the true Hinayana, just as we would to find out the real message of Jesus!

Samana 08-05-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Buddhism has always fallen into two schools of opinion and belief, altho Hinayana meaning lesser vehicle, has mostly fallen by the wayside and Theravada has taken it's place, especially in S.E. Asia....Mayahana, the great vehicle, remains the prevalent Buddhism of today.....Sorry, but you cannot change history.....

Actually there are 3 Buddhist traditions - Theravada, Mahayana and Vajrayana and there are different schools within each of those.

Mahayana certainly isn't the prevalent Buddhism on the internet. The biggest and most active Buddhist internet group is a Theravada one called Dhamma Wheel:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/index.php

:smile: