Spiritual Forums

Spiritual Forums (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/index.php)
-   Spiritual Development (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Living in the 'now' but still preparing yourself for the future (https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=81011)

revolver 03-02-2015 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
How?
Enjoy your planning for the future...now.
Always enjoy the moment...even if you are picturing a vacation,
for example...the vacation and the beach are not happening now...
but your enjoyment of the thought is.
:smile:

Yes that is what I was going to say.:smile:

blackraven 03-02-2015 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceField
I believe the most beneficial interpretation of the phrase "live in the Now" means to be fully aware of what you are doing in the present moment, as opposed to doing something half-heartedly or half-focused, with another part of your mind elsewhere.

So if you need to plan for the future, great! Be fully aware of that planning while you are doing it in the present moment. After all, thinking happens in the present moment.

Perhaps set aside some time specifically for your planning, contemplation, research, etc, and if any important thoughts relating to your plans come up while you are engaged in something else, take a note and save it for later, or if unproductive worry arises, learn to let go of it.

And this brings us to your final question- how to quiet your ego's desire to live in the future. I believe this comes with understanding that nothing is certain and nothing is permanent. Do what feels right now, understanding that what feels right to you may change next year, or next month, or tomorrow, and that is okay.

Wise words, VinceField. A zen-like approach to being fully present with whatever one is doing, thinking, feeling, etc. :smile:

Blackraven

VinceField 03-02-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven
Wise words, VinceField. A zen-like approach to being fully present with whatever one is doing, thinking, feeling, etc. :smile:

Blackraven

Thank you, and yes, this is a Buddhist perspective of the issue. Particularly, the ability to let go of one's attachments is the key to spiritual development and personal growth. It is our attachments which continue to drive us to continuously make the same unskillful choices. So in this case, it would likely be tremendously helpful to let go of the attachment to the idea that your future needs to be planned now, or the attachment to any ideas of what your future should be like. With a solid and effective spiritual practice set as one's priority, all other choices made in one's life will be able to be better held with the right perspective and attitude of non-attachment, joy, and equanimity. Planning your future should be an enjoyable endeavor. :)

Miss Hepburn 03-02-2015 08:08 PM

Quote:

When we worry that's when we can mess things up... lol.
Living in the moment is so important.
Hard, but so freeing.
Nothing can go wrong. We only believe that it can.
Changing our beliefs is the first step to happiness.
If I may be so bold...and with respect...for anyone who cares about this stuff..
there are subtleties to catch as we move on in our growth...

Reprogram the mind to never even use the word worry...
a nonsensical, useless function that is reinforced so often to have
the subconscious mind think it is 'normal'...maybe even 'loving', or
helpful. (I started a thread on it! Ha)

'Hard'....as long as someone believes, and then, even reenforces
the idea of 'difficulty' with words...it will always be so...hard and difficult.

As an exercise...notice how many times on the television, in conversation, in posts,
in movies the word worry and hard
are reinforced as 'the way of life', 'that's the way it is'.

Replace a sentence you hear immediately in your thoughts with
something like, "That's not hard for me...it's a piece o' cake to
do that...everything will turn out as it should, I have no worries...
Worry? I haven't a care in the world..."
And on and on...replace, reframe, re-program these beliefs of
worry and hardship ...with ease and 'I can do that'.

These thoughts and usage of the very words keep the paper chains of limitation
on our hearts and spirits...tho, we have a lighthearted reason for using them.

Ok, just sayin'...don't have to agree. :smile:
Not picking on any one person...just a general observation,
for anyone interested.
Lemme know how it changes your thinking after practicing for a week
not using these words.

Hi, revolver :)