PDA

View Full Version : Taking life seriously vs. having fun

Fleur de Frost
16-04-2016, 02:39 AM
Are you someone who believes life is a gift not to be taken lightly, that you have a destiny calling for you to meet - or do you believe life is meant to be fun, and airy and light, and there is no divine plan to hold ourselves accountable towards? Or do you think there should be both and a totally harmonious life holds a balance of each?

wolfgaze
16-04-2016, 02:43 AM
Or do you think there should be both and a totally harmonious life holds a balance of each

I'll go with this...

:icon_smile:

H:O:R:A:C:E
16-04-2016, 02:59 AM
i believe:

http://minions2015.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Follow-you-heart-quote-from-Minions.jpg

MARDAV70
16-04-2016, 04:22 AM
After I read your first line I thought it needs to be both...then I read your second line. But I'll add my thought, there needs to be a balance...neither too much nor too little of either makes sense to me.

ocean breeze
16-04-2016, 04:41 AM
Because i take my life very seriously, i do what i can to make it as fun and enjoyable as possible. A lot of people see me as the person who goofs around, who makes a joke out of everything and they assume i don't take my life seriously. But they are wrong. I'm not playing games. This is the only life i have and it can be gone in an instant.

itsjustaname
16-04-2016, 05:01 AM
Are you someone who believes life is a gift not to be taken lightly, that you have a destiny calling for you to meet - or do you believe life is meant to be fun, and airy and light, and there is no divine plan to hold ourselves accountable towards? Or do you think there should be both and a totally harmonious life holds a balance of each?

https://interestingliterature.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/tragedy.jpg

can't have one without the other, axiomatic to have opposites to define each other. black with white, depression with mania, happiness sadness.

however, on continuum perhaps some people lean to one side characteristically more than the other

IDK where I would think of myself.

Good topic/question though.

Energetically, I think I am more depressed/serious.

Intellectually, more comical/less-serious.

IDK ??

itsjustaname
16-04-2016, 05:08 AM
Because i take my life very seriously, i do what i can to make it as fun and enjoyable as possible. A lot of people see me as the person who goofs around, who makes a joke out of everything and they assume i don't take my life seriously. But they are wrong. I'm not playing games. This is the only life i have and it can be gone in an instant.

ironic way of answering the question, I like it!

take having fun seriously!

take enjoying this precious life, seriously. makes sense...

Lorelyen
16-04-2016, 08:14 AM
A good sense of humour, of irony, of lightheartedness are so important for the joie de vivre, the spirit, for lighting the stars in your firmament
Look to the light for optimism.

Laughter releases feel-good endorphins into you physical body and ethereal sunlight into your spiritual self.

It's good to see the funny side of things. Life IS a good time.

As Bugs Bunny said, "Don't take life too seriously. You'll never come out of it alive."

☼☼☼

Emmalevine
16-04-2016, 09:54 AM
I think it's a bit of both. We're here to gain experience and have fun doing it, but I also think we're here to learn certain things. I can't imagine telling my younger, traumatised self that I'm only here to have a laugh. It's all and everything.

Lorelyen
16-04-2016, 11:55 AM
But what is there serious to be taken about life, once you have it sized up?
And ensured you can survive to enjoy the joke?

It's tragic for those who have succumbed to "the system" the corporate
trickery, the notion of career, competitiveness, consumerism. They get
stressed about their jobs; how the heck they're going to keep rooves over
their heads; many go to universities to do and gain nothing (except they help
prune the unemployment figures), anything to keep money turning over...

I've heard people on the point of retirement moaning about how they gave
everything to the firm, to their families....but what have they got (for
themselves) for it? Life has passed them by.

They die having never been born.

Like most who have to work and survive in a material society I have
stresses here and there but can still smile.

☼☼☼

Miss Hepburn
16-04-2016, 01:10 PM
....for seriously having fun.

knightofalbion
16-04-2016, 01:24 PM
It's a bit of both!

There is a time to be serious, but there is also a time to smile and laugh and dance and rejoice!

The spiritual Journey is a hard climb, it requires an indomitable spirit, but it also requires a happy heart.

Somnia
16-04-2016, 01:51 PM
Or do you think there should be both and a totally harmonious life holds a balance of each?

For me, it is a balance of both...having fun and knowing when to put on your "serious" hat ;)

16-04-2016, 02:45 PM
i'm not on board with the "balance" sentiments.
the sensible, thoughtful answer (to my mind) is to have fun.
"life is meant to be fun, and airy and light"; seriously.

Miss Hepburn
16-04-2016, 02:52 PM
i'm not on board with the "balance" sentiments.
the sensible, thoughtful answer (to my mind) is to have fun.
"life is meant to be fun, and airy and light"; seriously.
You mean we were not meant to be serious and miserable?:tongue:

My old guru said once, paraphrased...

When you were deciding to come here...
trust me, you didn't say...So I will work at this boring job and move
papers from one side of my desk to another!

:biggrin:

16-04-2016, 04:23 PM
You mean we were not meant to be serious and miserable?:tongue:

My old guru said once, paraphrased...

When you were deciding to come here...
trust me, you didn't say...So I will work at this boring job and move
papers from one side of my desk to another!

:biggrin:

yes, i mean that.
and i also believe that "the work" that many suppose needs to
be done ought to be an enjoyable exercise.
if we're not doing something so that we can enjoy (life/ourselves/others),
then why are we doing things?
the means and the ends need to be in alignment...
joy is achieved joyously, lighthearted.

Thunder Bow
16-04-2016, 05:44 PM

If I hold myself to a "Divine Plan" then I am letting myself being controlled by others. A free life can be airy and fun.

Mr Interesting
16-04-2016, 07:51 PM
I like playing within what could be called the breakdown of duality.

It's like complete and utter opposites have to learn to get on with each other in and of the same space. Successfully unsuccessful kinda started me off in it whereby I basically defined my own success as being able to be successful without being successful in the big wide world which in another way actually adds to the world being unsuccessful in a small way because I'm not adding their version to my life but adding my version to theirs.

Importantly un-important is another which is about almost the same thing; that it is very important to not have any import carried. Focused un-focus too is there as in a type of peripheral vision which picks up that which almost enjoys hiding on the edges and tempting us to see it... we must un-focus our focus to then properly focus on that which is out of focus.

Lorelyen
16-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Two days ago it was warm so I took myself down to the sea front and just sat their gazing just beyond infinity, a pencil and some music paper on my lap. I awaited the muse - a musical muse I hoped but anything to a-muse would do. Anyway, quite suddenly this flying saucer whizzed up and hovered above me then landed. This green person, no racism intended, lowered the window. He had some kind of translation device that turned his home language into English.

He said, "Hey, I'm from Pluto. Maybe you can help. I came here to learn things because of a rumour that earth people are among the most intelligent in this solar system. But....there are things I can't understand. Between about 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. people leave their houses and pace off to a place called the railway station. They travel anything between 50 and 100 miles then alight the trains and go to these large buildings where they sit at tables they call "workstations", stare at these little screens, press buttons and push papers around. Then at between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. they shuffle the papers together. turn off their little screens, then go back to the houses they started from in the morning. Then they eat then sit on sofas and stare at larger screens that flicker with all kinds of things including things called "ads" that seem to be firms blowing their own trumpets about how good the things they sell are. Some time later they go to bed. And the next day the same happens.
"What's going on?"

I frowned, puzzled. All I could say was "But that's important. It's their life, their purpose in life. It's how they enrich themselves."

"Are they having fun?" he asked.

"Oh, definitely," I told him.

He said, "Okay. You could have fooled me... but thanks for the edification."

He raised the window, got his flying saucer in gear and flew off. Quite put me off my stroke, turned down my offer of a beer at the nearby bar....

:confused:

jimrich
16-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Both! :hug3:

Lorelyen
16-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Both! :hug3:

About your current avatar, jimrich, is the sax forever blowing bubbles

or are they blue notes?

:smile:

I have a friend who's a sax maniac. He has a rather pretty Borgani alto. I remember the label because he always refers to it as his Borgani rather than his sax.

jimrich
17-04-2016, 02:39 AM

or are they blue notes?

I have a friend who's a sax maniac. He has a rather pretty Borgani alto. I remember the label because he always refers to it as his Borgani rather than his sax.

LOL, I prefer to see them as notes or musical energies/sounds. Borgani altos are wonderful. Mine horns are a Selmer alto and a King tenor. Here's a link to some of my work: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFC8oFjO8lUU7Cyu8gDrrLg/videos?view=1 ...I'm the guy playing two saxes at once - weird, huh?
Happy you asked........
:) jim

naturesflow
17-04-2016, 02:42 AM
yes, i mean that.
and i also believe that "the work" that many suppose needs to
be done ought to be an enjoyable exercise.
if we're not doing something so that we can enjoy (life/ourselves/others),
then why are we doing things?
the means and the ends need to be in alignment...
joy is achieved joyously, lighthearted.

Money is the root of most things for many souls pushing hard in work. Survival mode and needing to build a kingdom for themselves. Add to the mounting costs to raise a family now days in a society that prides itself on doing so much, having lots and engaging in everything. Their be the reason at times.

It is what people lead with into life that often shows what is important to them that is all. Surviving as their means. People would definitely still get their glimpses of joy and light hearted connections but the stress is probably just as high in many.

My priority now days is to enjoy my work and do what I love, be with people who love theirs. I want peace and simplicity *BALANCE* to live more fully in everyway of life,but not everyone wants that.

I still require money, to maintain a certain lifestyle but it is not my priority.

It is only that simple now because I have shifted priority and can.

Understanding that choices come over time, not necessarily instantly for most, we are becoming aware of what can be, not always knowing what can be and just being it.

Of course those that risk all and bite the bullet often have to still let go of a lot in this way to open a new doorway with a new focus, so either way it is about letting go to let in, to have less but feel more enriched in other ways. :)

Reminds me of Neale Donald Walsh, who wrote conversations with god. How sometimes the rug is pulled out from under us unexpectedly to show us more of what we *believe* is living a life as we can and need to be living. Losing all to rise up in profound new ways. And in the process learning how it feels being without all those things we live with. Sometimes we just don't get it. So the getting comes in the strangest of ways to show us more of what getting it really means :)

naturesflow
17-04-2016, 02:48 AM
Two days ago it was warm so I took myself down to the sea front and just sat their gazing just beyond infinity, a pencil and some music paper on my lap. I awaited the muse - a musical muse I hoped but anything to a-muse would do. Anyway, quite suddenly this flying saucer whizzed up and hovered above me then landed. This green person, no racism intended, lowered the window. He had some kind of translation device that turned his home language into English.

He said, "Hey, I'm from Pluto. Maybe you can help. I came here to learn things because of a rumour that earth people are among the most intelligent in this solar system. But....there are things I can't understand. Between about 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. people leave their houses and pace off to a place called the railway station. They travel anything between 50 and 100 miles then alight the trains and go to these large buildings where they sit at tables they call "workstations", stare at these little screens, press buttons and push papers around. Then at between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. they shuffle the papers together. turn off their little screens, then go back to the houses they started from in the morning. Then they eat then sit on sofas and stare at larger screens that flicker with all kinds of things including things called "ads" that seem to be firms blowing their own trumpets about how good the things they sell are. Some time later they go to bed. And the next day the same happens.
"What's going on?"

I frowned, puzzled. All I could say was "But that's important. It's their life, their purpose in life. It's how they enrich themselves."

"Are they having fun?" he asked.

"Oh, definitely," I told him.

He said, "Okay. You could have fooled me... but thanks for the edification."

He raised the window, got his flying saucer in gear and flew off. Quite put me off my stroke, turned down my offer of a beer at the nearby bar....

:confused:

It reminded me of the time my nephew told me of his tiny little saucer moment while laying on his couch in fear of a thunderstorm around him. He woke up after drifting off to sleep only to see it hovering over his lamp near by. He observed it and watched it fly away..

He tells me this stuff because he knows others think he is crazy..I know crazy/ normal so its quite normal to me.

naturesflow
17-04-2016, 03:35 AM

We each have a mission, that you might just call "my life".

Each piece is unique so my view is really just my own. I embrace my life as it flows is and how I can be in it all. Destiny showed me both what I knew was coming and what I didn't know but it is all life showing me myself and how I can be with life in both. Being open and accepting, the flow of feeling doesn't need it to be any particular way in feeling. I just be, whatever I want to be with what I have to know to be with in open state of being.

Balance and harmony in all things seems to be what my life wants of me. So seriousness can bring alive more fun, more peace, more connection to life in that balance of knowing and experiencing both.

naturesflow
17-04-2016, 03:39 AM

or are they blue notes?

Sorry to interrupt your sharing. But each time I look at your avatar, I keep connecting to the lungs and an octopus..

Floatsy
17-04-2016, 04:20 AM
I like playing within what could be called the breakdown of duality.

It's like complete and utter opposites have to learn to get on with each other in and of the same space. Successfully unsuccessful kinda started me off in it whereby I basically defined my own success as being able to be successful without being successful in the big wide world which in another way actually adds to the world being unsuccessful in a small way because I'm not adding their version to my life but adding my version to theirs.

Importantly un-important is another which is about almost the same thing; that it is very important to not have any import carried. Focused un-focus too is there as in a type of peripheral vision which picks up that which almost enjoys hiding on the edges and tempting us to see it... we must un-focus our focus to then properly focus on that which is out of focus.

LOVE it.

With apologies to Mr Interesting. :tongue:

Khalli
17-04-2016, 04:20 AM
I think it depends where you are at in life. Right now for Me it is to just go with the flow and enjoy life.

Lorelyen
17-04-2016, 07:02 AM
Sorry to interrupt your sharing. But each time I look at your avatar, I keep connecting to the lungs and an octopus..

Ah.

It is of the inner worlds and the luminescent spirits that fleeted and teased my camera of earlier times, caught "at it" upon silver halide.

They need darkness to show their light.

But about your avatar. I see you have me in it - I'm the one on the far left.

Lorelyen
17-04-2016, 07:17 AM
LOL, I prefer to see them as notes or musical energies/sounds. Borgani altos are wonderful. Mine horns are a Selmer alto and a King tenor. Here's a link to some of my work: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFC8oFjO8lUU7Cyu8gDrrLg/videos?view=1 ...I'm the guy playing two saxes at once - weird, huh?
Happy you asked........
:) jim

Wow! That's an accomplishment. Weird indeed! Even weirder the multiphonics...
I took it at the first Jim Rich video. Then I looked at another couple. Beavercreek,
The first San Diego one: Very nice Lady Be Good. The guy on the right, grey shirt playing soprano must have hit top F there somewhere! Well, I don't want to derail the thread but it was only the other day I captured some Charlie Creath on my PC!!

I claim it totally in line with the topic. If that isn't the having fun side of Spirit / of being, I can't think what else could express it as fluently. Just letting go.

☼☼☼

wstein
18-04-2016, 01:14 AM
How about taking life seriously BY having fun?

naturesflow
18-04-2016, 01:19 AM
Ah.

It is of the inner worlds and the luminescent spirits that fleeted and teased my camera of earlier times, caught "at it" upon silver halide.

They need darkness to show their light.

But about your avatar. I see you have me in it - I'm the one on the far left.

Oh cool. Who would have thought, spirits tease cameras?.. I know they tease computers and phones, tvs, cars, lights ....oh yeah my microwave once. Probably much more....:wink:

I knew it! You scare crows don't you? :icon_eek:

naturesflow
18-04-2016, 01:20 AM
How about taking life seriously BY having fun?

So what is fun for you wstein?

How do you let your hair down, kick up your heels and dance the fun dance?

wstein
18-04-2016, 06:20 AM
So what is fun for you wstein?

How do you let your hair down, kick up your heels and dance the fun dance? Well actually I go dancing, Ecstatic Dance to be specific.

I also fix computers. I find it challenging in a good way. Its almost Zen to me. If I could just work out that people insisting on paying me thing...

I found a neat drainage tunnel last week with interesting acoustics, did some toning (chant-like).

Took a puppet to a party a couple of weeks ago.

naturesflow
18-04-2016, 07:05 AM
Well actually I go dancing, Ecstatic Dance to be specific.

I also fix computers. I find it challenging in a good way. Its almost Zen to me. If I could just work out that people insisting on paying me thing...

I found a neat drainage tunnel last week with interesting acoustics, did some toning (chant-like).

Took a puppet to a party a couple of weeks ago.

Your fun is pretty awesome. :)

Greenslade
18-04-2016, 07:55 AM
Are you someone who believes life is a gift not to be taken lightly, that you have a destiny calling for you to meet - or do you believe life is meant to be fun, and airy and light, and there is no divine plan to hold ourselves accountable towards? Or do you think there should be both and a totally harmonious life holds a balance of each?I just Love it when there are synchronicities inside synchronicities, I've just come off a thread after talking about this very thing.

A conversation about Old Souls would put this into perspective, they always seem to attract people who say there is no time. If that's the case then that destiny that's calling you and the divine plan you're working towards are already happening.

Jatd
18-04-2016, 03:35 PM
I feel like ever since my awakening, I take life WAY more serious.
I don't find jokes funny (Because most of them are making fun of someone and I don't like it because it hurts me)

It kind of sucks.
I wish I could find a balance.

Somnia
18-04-2016, 04:26 PM
Here's a link to some of my work: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFC8oFjO8lUU7Cyu8gDrrLg/videos?view=1 ...

"The Nightblooming Jazzmen"

Oh I love the wordplay on that! :tongue:

18-04-2016, 04:56 PM
I feel like ever since my awakening, I take life WAY more serious.
I don't find jokes funny (Because most of them are making fun of someone and I don't like it because it hurts me)

It kind of sucks.
I wish I could find a balance.

how can you tell that an elephant has been in your refrigerator?
by the footprints in your butter.

jimrich
18-04-2016, 10:56 PM
He, he. :biggrin:

Jatd
19-04-2016, 03:15 PM

:D :redface: :hug2:

astrologerbrian
21-04-2016, 03:53 AM
Hard to say. I think I am still figuring this out. As someone who has been pretty dang serious throughout their life I believe it would help me to cultivate more joy and fun, and I have been practicing that.

But then there are many things that happen that aren't fun at all that seem somehow destined to be so we can learn.

If I think of the universe as intentionally playing it's part to bring me what i need to learn and grow for my soul I notice not everything is fun, that's for sure. But I think life can be a lot more fun than I believe it to be.

Certainly with no fun, what is the point? But if it was all just fun why even come here I wonder?

Mused
21-04-2016, 08:48 PM

There is a time for both. Life will throw stuff at you, but how you deal with it its up to you.