PDA

View Full Version : 10 minutes daily Ab work out!

Imzadi
05-04-2016, 08:47 PM
I'm a pretty active person, but when I injured my ankle (took me 3 months to begin to get back to normal) I was grounded and couldn't do all the sporty things and started just accumulating some belly fat.

Since I couldn't go out and be active like a maniac, I tried modifying some exercises that works for me to just use a yoga mat to do at home in a low key non strenuous way.

I find that if I have a set of exercises that I do each day even for as little as 10-20 minutes, and be conscious of what I put into my body, the positive results happen pretty quickly. I can see noticeable difference in about 2 weeks of consistently following the same daily regiment.

Below is a really good Ab work out instructional video that you can do in the comfort of your own home! Please keep in mind that in conjunction with the abs work out, doing some cardio (such as running/swimming), as well as maintaining a healthy balance diet will ensure optimal results!

Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPdpsvOxMoI

[EDIT: Oops, I put this thread in the wrong section. Could a lovely Moderator move this to the exercise section please? Thanks!]

Mused
05-04-2016, 08:53 PM
Thanks for sharing...I do Yoga at home, nothing complicated just maybe 30 mins daily def helps. And swimming is awesome - I prefer doing it in summer tho
Running, Im kinda addicted to that (got the running genes I guess)

hello summer body

Imzadi
05-04-2016, 08:56 PM
I need rock hard abs to create artistic symmetry while I dance. Can't let myself go! lol >_<

Baile
06-04-2016, 12:40 PM
I need rock hard abs to create artistic symmetry while I dance. Can't let myself go! lol >_<Hmm, I spent two years at dance school, even played the beast in a dance version of Beauty and the Beast, and I didn't need rock-hard abs. You sure that's artistically necessary, or is it just you needing to look fab? :cool:

I'm kidding really, I am filled with self-appreciative ecstasy at times when I look in the mirror and notice my face looks thinner, now that my slimmer-for-summer diet is kicking in. I shout and go dancing around the room in glee. Ego can be a fun thing too. :tongue:

Imzadi
06-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Hmm, I spent two years at dance school, even played the beast in a dance version of Beauty and the Beast, and I didn't need rock-hard abs. You sure that's artistically necessary, or is it just you needing to look fab? :cool:

I'm kidding really, I am filled with self-appreciative ecstasy at times when I look in the mirror and notice my face looks thinner, now that my slimmer-for-summer diet is kicking in. I shout and go dancing around the room in glee. Ego can be a fun thing too. :tongue:

I think ego and vanity is fun to toy with occasionally but we shouldn't be too attached and take them home to bed. LOL

But for me, I think there is definitely a fine line between healthy self esteem VS vanity/body dysmorphic disorder. I choose to practice the former, but the latter was something I used to struggle with for a long time especially when I grew up and worked in fields where physical beauty was worshiped. When you grow up everyone treating you like a beautiful object you start to think that that's all you are worth. :( That's also a high standard to psychologically try to maintain. I even once attempted to curb my vanity by shaving off my hair... well I only shaved off my hair, the vanity was still there! I think what helped me years later was once again finding that inner Divinity, Goodness, and LOVE within me. That is worth a whole lot more than this temporal vehicle that it resides in. I can honor and cherish this temple, but I don't have to be too attached to it anymore. Thank goodness, that saves me from a lot of suffering.

Baile! What dancing do you do? I dance modern and ballet! I see you were in musical theatre! That's so awesome. Beauty and the Beast IS my all time favorite Disney movie. "For who could ever love a beast?" Such a lovely tale and a happy ending especially when he transforms. I feel like it's such a good parallel to spirituality. =D

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/uploaded/images/original/2015/2/9/hosier2.gif

That's Sergei Pulonin, one of my inspirations. Check out this dance video/song, it's amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-tW0CkvdDI

Baile
06-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Baile! What dancing do you do? I dance modern and ballet!
I have a Theater degree, but I focused on modern dance rather than advanced acting. Ended up a theater technician for years. No, I wasn't ever a real dancer, I enjoyed dressing up in my dance belt and leotard with my shirt hitched up around my waist so that my tight butt was visible. 19 females and me as the only male in the class was my main motivation.

Belle
06-04-2016, 03:08 PM
I have a Theater degree, but I focused on modern dance rather than advanced acting. Ended up a theater technician for years. No, I wasn't ever a real dancer, I enjoyed dressing up in my dance belt and leotard with my shirt hitched up around my waist so that my tight butt was visible. 19 females and me as the only male in the class was my main motivation.

Good stuff! :smile:

Baile
06-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Good stuff! :smile:I was moved a grade up in 3rd grade, they thought I was smart or something. So for the rest of my school years, I was always the youngest and smallest and most forgettable in my class. Non-existent to my peers really. So when I hit college with all those women looking at ME, oh man did I flaunt it.

Imzadi
06-04-2016, 03:49 PM
I was moved a grade up in 3rd grade, they thought I was smart or something. So for the rest of my school years, I was always the youngest and smallest and most forgettable in my class. Non-existent to my peers really. So when I hit college with all those women looking at ME, oh man did I flaunt it.

Nice! I bet you made all the ladies swoon. :biggrin:

Baile
06-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Nice! I bet you made all the ladies swoon. :biggrin:Oh yes, that's me... making women swoon lol. I made my beer-drinking buddies swoon when I went back home the following year during summer break. I was in amazing shape from all that dance. We got a football game going one afternoon, and while they were all exhausted 30 minutes in, I was running circles around everyone the whole game, I was unstoppable. They were more impressed with me than the women in my class were I think.

Mused
06-04-2016, 07:05 PM
I think ego and vanity is fun to toy with occasionally but we shouldn't be too attached and take them home to bed. LOL

But for me, I think there is definitely a fine line between healthy self esteem VS vanity/body dysmorphic disorder. I choose to practice the former, but the latter was something I used to struggle with for a long time especially when I grew up and worked in fields where physical beauty was worshiped. When you grow up everyone treating you like a beautiful object you start to think that that's all you are worth. :( That's also a high standard to psychologically try to maintain.

True, I am familiar with that. Its cool you manage(d) to find a balance
Being able to let go of comparing yourself and have realistic expectations is def helpful ...the body needs to be happy too without too much pressure lol

ocean breeze
06-04-2016, 11:53 PM
I don't diet. But i don't stuff my body with junk food either (Well sometimes i do :D ). I like to spend 10 - 15 mins on my abs at the end of my training. I do it to condition my body to be strong and take punishment but i love the way my abs look on me too. :cool:

Somnia
07-04-2016, 08:47 AM

Sometimes I like to straighten my hair with my flat-iron but it takes me about 20 minutes to tame my mane so I don't bother with it on most days...That's probably the extent of my vanity with my hair as I don't even bother with using a hair dryer...Takes up too much time so I let it dry out naturally...On average it takes me 5-10 minutes to get ready to go out somewhere :D

But for me, I think there is definitely a fine line between healthy self esteem VS vanity/body dysmorphic disorder. I choose to practice the former, but the latter was something I used to struggle with for a long time...

Oh God I can relate to this one...When I was in High School I was very self conscious of my physical self...I was a twig, LOL!

On the topic of healthy self-esteem and exercise, I've been exercising on my elliptical pretty much daily for the past couple months (also changed my diet and cut back on drinking alcohol)...I think I've dropped a good 25 pounds since last November (I slacked off a couple months though, LOL)...not only can I tell/feel the difference (I feel lighter and my clothes fit looser...) but people notice the changes in my face and waist area....My ideal goal is to get back to my "college" weight of around the 130s as that was what felt the healthiest for me...Keyword being "ideal" as I'm not inherently focused on any specific number, but using it as reference to how I *felt* health-wise and not for vanity reasons....

Mused
07-04-2016, 12:20 PM
^ wow Somnia 25 pounds is really something. My weight tends to drop when I'm stressed or walk a lot (which I usually do) but the winter months made me let myself go a little but which is getting fixed now :D. I'm not a big fan of dieting anyway, it's not as sustainable as real lifestyle/ eating habit changes.

Somnia
07-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Mused - Haha! Well we all tend to pack on a bit of extra poundage during the Winter months in case we have to survive a famine right?...right?? xP

I'm not a big fan of dieting anyway, it's not as sustainable as real lifestyle/ eating habit changes.

I agree...I'm so not into fad diets either...My changes in diet are for life...eating more vegetarian style foods, but I do still eat meat...I've just reduced meat consumption...I still eat junk foods every so often in moderation ^_~

Thank you for the nice compliment...I figured if I have to slog around the 3rd dimension in this temporary meat suit I might as well get rid of a few extra pounds to make the slogging a bit easier while I am able-bodied, Ahahaha! :biggrin:

Clover
08-04-2016, 05:26 PM
I'm a pretty active person, but when I injured my ankle (took me 3 months to begin to get back to normal) I was grounded and couldn't do all the sporty things and started just accumulating some belly fat.

Since I couldn't go out and be active like a maniac, I tried modifying some exercises that works for me to just use a yoga mat to do at home in a low key non strenuous way.

I find that if I have a set of exercises that I do each day even for as little as 10-20 minutes, and be conscious of what I put into my body, the positive results happen pretty quickly. I can see noticeable difference in about 2 weeks of consistently following the same daily regiment.

Below is a really good Ab work out instructional video that you can do in the comfort of your own home! Please keep in mind that in conjunction with the abs work out, doing some cardio (such as running/swimming), as well as maintaining a healthy balance diet will ensure optimal results!

[EDIT: Oops, I put this thread in the wrong section. Could a lovely Moderator move this to the exercise section please? Thanks!]

Moved. Cute gal on the vid. :biggrin:

Working on your core with planks works well. The plank works the entire area. You know who has a great Ab video? Jillian Michaels. I really like her. The best I can take away from this vid are the burpees. Those are pretty intense because your using your whole body, but the core get's worked out the most. Personally , I like to use my own body to gain muscle rather than using weights.

Jillian Michaels abs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ8Zdj0OPMI

Imzadi
08-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Thanks so much Clover! I will definitely check out the vid when I get a chance. =D

Clover
09-04-2016, 03:27 AM
Thanks so much Clover! I will definitely check out the vid when I get a chance. =D

Hey hey hey, found our girl doing the burpees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZQA08SlJnM&nohtml5=False

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6a/e0/75/6ae07584b623bd07bb26b4ef5dfa3d5e.jpg

I would argue doing planks works the full enchilada when it comes to Abs

https://kelleymikecox.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/this-is-why-we-plank.jpg

blackraven
09-04-2016, 09:24 PM

Imzadi - I am able to do cardio in the house because I have an elliptical machine in the basement that I use. I got it specifically because I had to stop running after breaking my ankle and having a metal plate screwed into my bones. I do a little weight lifting too.

But every day I do over 100 sit ups and legs lifts, of varying kinds. It's a routine I put together myself a number of years ago to get a flat stomach and it continues to work. I don't understand why many articles and web sites are now saying to throw out the old sit ups routine because they claim it does nothing. I'd get a flabby stomach if I stopped my floor ab work.

Moral to the story...do what feels right and is effective for yourself regardless to what the so called fitness experts say.

Somnia
10-04-2016, 09:24 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/6a/e0/75/6ae07584b623bd07bb26b4ef5dfa3d5e.jpg

Haha! :D

I had a guy friend who was into Cross-Fit and he would often show off in front of me by doing burpees and upside down hand-stand pushups (I don't know what you really call this, LOL)...He would do a handstand but brace his back against a wall and and do pushups...It was some pretty impressive stuff...

BTW, I see you changed your Avatar! I'm guessing you were ready for something different? Heehee...

Clover
10-04-2016, 03:57 PM
I had a guy friend who was into Cross-Fit and he would often show off in front of me by doing burpees and upside down hand-stand pushups (I don't know what you really call this, LOL)...He would do a handstand but brace his back against a wall and and do pushups...It was some pretty impressive stuff

Wow, what a show off! Did you keep a straight face? Knowing me, I totally would have messed with him lol.

I do like cross fit. Highly recommend, lots of short bursts and quick burning calories. :icon_thumright: Lots of burpees in that class. They do suck the energy out of you, but very effective.

BTW, I see you changed your Avatar! I'm guessing you were ready for something different? Heehee...

I change it every few months. Not sure if I am feeling this one, too flamingo on acid kinda look.It's temporary until I find something ridiculously adorable :icon_biggrin:

Somnia
10-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Wow, what a show off! Did you keep a straight face? Knowing me, I totally would have messed with him lol.

Oh you have no idea how tempted I was to mess with him...

:D

Imzadi
10-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Crossfitters are always such show offs! LOL

http://sneakerbardetroit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/cityplace.jpg

Somnia
10-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Imzadi - Hahaha! Yep!

Clover
10-04-2016, 05:38 PM
What the.. :icon_eek: Such show offs :rolleyes:

Why is that making me laugh? LOL

ocean breeze
10-04-2016, 07:52 PM
If you got it, flaunt it. Why keep it hidden? :cool:

Imzadi
10-04-2016, 08:26 PM
If you got it, flaunt it. Why keep it hidden? :cool:

Are you going to show us your mad skillz? :D

ocean breeze
10-04-2016, 09:29 PM
Are you going to show us your mad skillz? :D

In order for me to do that i first need mad skills. :tongue:

Sarian
12-04-2016, 10:59 PM
I saved that youtube link. Thanks. years ago, a friend of mine and myself took some work out classes 2x a week. We did all those in the videos. We HATED going because it was so painful but never missed a session...and felt fantastic afterwards. I lost 30 lbs.

I've been told a lot that I have body dysmorphic syndrome. I don't know if that's true or not. I am hard on myself regarding my looks though and probably see everything in the worst light when I view myself.

Oh yeah, planks, are claimed to be the best for your abs.