PDA

View Full Version : Analyzing this effect on you.

TheGreenQueen
01-04-2016, 04:32 AM
How much time to spend critically examining the effect stories have on you? Or the media?

Baile
01-04-2016, 08:01 AM
I got rid of my TV in the 1990's. I never listen to the radio, don't read newspapers or magazines, and don't visit internet news sites. But I've always been that way, I spent my childhood running about in nature, whereas children today spend a great deal of their time indoors and surrounded by electronics. A large percentage of the issues people discuss on this site - fear of life, tired of life, end of world fears, even relationship conflicts - would be alleviated if people would stop texting, get off Facebook and Twitter, get rid of their phones (I don't have one of those either), stop watching television news and YouTube conspiracy videos, and start interacting with and appreciating real and actual life.

naturesflow
01-04-2016, 08:03 AM
I got rid of my TV in the 1990's. I never listen to the radio, don't read newspapers or magazines, and don't visit internet news sites. But I've always been that way, I spent my childhood running about in nature, whereas children today spend a great deal of their time indoors and surrounded by electronics.

So your informed by word of mouth? Face to face that is.

Lorelyen
01-04-2016, 09:42 AM
How much time to spend critically examining the effect stories have on you? Or the media?

In my teenage I spent a lot of time examining the media for censorship and
bias. So I tend to look on reports/articles with a clinical eye. That's why I
read around a number of news and cultural sources. It's necessary with
subjects like the Brexit.

I'm honestly not interested in fiction. There isn't time -
unless it deals deeply with characters and their interactions. I occasionally
watch TV crime dramas like Vera and Midsomer (when Nettles was doing
Barnaby). My friends tell me I'm terrible to watch movies with me because
I have too clinical an eye on the production values, editing etc!! Passing comments
the whole time.

Tanemon
01-04-2016, 11:52 PM
I got rid of my TV in the 1990's. I never listen to the radio, don't read newspapers or magazines, and don't visit internet news sites. But I've always been that way, I spent my childhood running about in nature, whereas children today spend a great deal of their time indoors and surrounded by electronics.
I can relate to what you've posted, Baile. I was a hiker and camper as a young person. My father used to refer to TV as "the idiot box", but he'd come home from work and get sucked in. I started reading translations of European modern classics (books) plus varied bohemian literature. Even a few months of that put me off on most of the stuff on TV by comparison, especially the copious output originating in the US. Late teens, I was making enough wisecracks about the quality or veracity of the TV shows that my family found me thoroughly obnoxious.

Once on my own, I went 10 years without having a TV in my home, and only got one to watch selected vids (documentary & dramatic films - plus technical "how to"). A lot of the TV available in Canada is American and little of it is worthwhile (creative or incisive) at all. I do like some of the TV dramas and comedy stuff that's been produced in Britain (Foyle's War, old Fawlty Tower reruns and such). The British stuff has at least 20 extra I.Q. points over US (and most Canadian) shows.

The internet - used selectively - has had value for me. A few forum-type sites, some technical sites (advanced gardening, metalworking, etc). Youtube has been good for some of this, and for broadening my exposure to certain interesting & enjoyable music. I don't watch or have much interest in paranormal or psychic-horror shows or entertainment.

The content of TV shows or internet junk would no longer affect me... I don't need to be critical, because I'm not interested. I'm glad I went cold-turkey on TV for as long as I did. "Be selective" would be my motto.