PDA

View Full Version : any spiritualists here??

daisy
21-09-2006, 10:12 PM
just wodered and what 'got you into it' for want of a better phrase,were you brought up with it or are you just discovering it??

jeremy67
21-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi daisy... I'm a Spiritualist; in fact I've been to a Spiritualist service this very evening! :smile:

My grandfather, who I never knew in the physical, was a Spiritualist, so I had always been vaguely aware of Spiritualism and what it was about. He, my grandfather, got into it after his son (my uncle) was shot down and killed in the war. Apparently there was good communication between them through various mediums.

Anyway, about three years ago I started feeling that "things were happening" on the spiritual front so I started going to the local Spiritualist church. I was beginning to feel more sensitive, more empathetic and began thinking more about the universe and how I fitted into it.

Strangely enough, only within the last few days I've decided to start sitting in a circle to really try and develop whatever abilities I might have. Up till now I've often been able to sense spirit, but can't make out who it is or what they might be trying to say. About 18 months ago I did Reiki level one, and I think that has awakened things on the energy front too, and I'm now considering doing level two.

I often natter away to my spirit friends whenever I feel that they're around, even though I can't hear what they're saying in reply. They probably think I'm barmy!

How about you daisy, what's your take on it all?

Love and Light,
Jeremy :cool:

daisy
24-09-2006, 11:16 PM
hiya jeremy, i just didn't know where else to go really, good on you for joining a circle by the way, let me know how you get on, it's good to talk as they say, they do hear us. it's the only religion that 'makes sense' to me if you know what i mean, daisy

psychic sue
25-09-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm a spiritualist too - although I practice in my own way. I wrote an article and made a diary about my beliefs for BBC Faith website - have a look if you get a chance and are interested.

I used to sit in circle but don't at the moment. Looking for a closed circle - there doesn't seem to be one around here.

Nice to meet others of the same thinking!

Sue x

daisy
26-09-2006, 12:50 AM
hiya sue it's very difficult to find a closed circle they tend to be kept quiet for some reason don't they? might just pop in and look at that, and it is good to meet like minded people

mikron
26-09-2006, 01:06 AM
I think its great to be in a circle to share insights as to the whole world being a better place to live ! I have many groups I am part of locally and I am a dj on FM radio in new england USA on sunday mornings where we discuss ascension realted topics !

Namaste mikron

psychic sue
26-09-2006, 05:26 AM
Yes, I have been in a couple of closed circles before (many years ago) but I think you have to wait to be invited. I have got a new friend who is an accomplished medium so perhaps I can sneak a bit of training from him, hee hee.

Sue x

Awi Gaya
29-09-2006, 06:05 AM
Im a spiritualist, my father is a buddhist from Thailand, and my mother is Irish, so I was raised to grow into my own soul. I am grateful for that,...I have a practice called spiritual wellness studio,..and work with woman and children through healing arts....its amazing what children can see,...it keeps me young and connected to the light,....

FRANK789
20-10-2006, 01:08 AM
I'm Spiritual, but even after all these years I get what I call (walkins's).
When your involved with a person your seeing for, suddenly some living soul or one who has passed or not yet born walks in and sit's down and begins to ask questions. It can be a sitting president, a future movie star, a baker or an indian chief. Does anyone else get walkins and if so, how do you deal with them in a way as not to offend ???

Lovin Syrnrgy
20-10-2006, 05:22 AM
I am very much into my spirituality, and it happen over a long four hour talk at the beach with a close friend. I was rasied Catholic but we didn't go by the book we just believe in god and went to church. I didn't understand the religion so I just said I believe in god. Until four years ago when the talk happen my mind was opened and I was able to understand the the connection with everything. Ever since I have pages and drawings of my new understanding...it was wonderful how spiritual information just flowed through me. It seem like ever day I was learning more about people's and nature's inner soul and the energy that lies within everything. I started to get in tuned with stones and the magical healing powers, the power of air and water that keeps us alive. I even had a tree expericence where I was in the worst stated of mind and as I layed on the grass outside of a friends house I looked up at a tree and as the wind blew its branches and leaves seem to release this funny nrg and which it made my tears into giggles and gave me a sense of peace. I was fine after that, now I can feel nature's nrg. I can go on and on and tuss me I will..

Any chance that I get to talk about spiritulity and our connections I take that time to help people remember what they forgot..

lumas
20-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Hi daisy i am a spiritulist and i suppose it all started around the ageof 14, my mother always said i had certain abilities and that i had gifts she had already been sitting in a circle for some time and was very phsycic i started to ask questions about what she did and what it was all about she asked me if i wanted to know more and took me along to a spiritualist church where i saw other people recieving evidence of survival from loved ones.

That was it i was hooked and it was then that i joined our beloved circle and recieved evidence from my father who i lost in a tragic traffic accident when i was just seven from that day that my plans were made and i was going to be a medium and help people in thier berievement by giving them the evidence they needed to give them hope and to just know that there was something else other than this life.

well im still learning still developing and still in the same circle which has now moved on to become working/rescue circle its pysically and mentaly draining but the end results are out of this world (litterally) and i love it ive had many wonderful experiences and been told that it is only the tip of the iceburg bring it on!!!!

~Jay~
20-10-2006, 06:57 PM
I'd love to hear more about the work you do with your circle, lumas. Rescue work is something I'm very interested in doing, once I've developed my own skills a bit more.:wink:

You're doing such a worthwhile job! :smile:

Nighttemplar
23-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Hi Daisy
I was hooked about 5 years ago--yes 'hooked'.
I was the original 'Doubting Thomas' I enjoyed tearing apart the dogma of most religeons. Many years ago I was asked to leave a Bible reading class--I was raising too many awkward questions.

Then 5+ years ago I had one of those life crises, and visited a 'fortune teller'. Spoke to her 3 times in all and found she helped sort my problem-this was July/Aug. By Easter my life was back on track, so I went back to thank her for her help. She had gone and to this day do not know where she is. Her name was 'Polly'.
She had mentioned the local spiritualist church,so thought I might find her there or someone who would know where she was. I was made so welcome and they sing such wonderful songs, I kept going. I was fascinated by the medium bit , giving messages-some so trivial! After my 4th visit I still had not figured out how the medium was doing it, when she came to me. The messgae was simple "Albert and George wished to be remembered to me. They were brothers, more than brothers , brothers in arms. They still thought I was a 'bonny wee lad'."
Haha I left that night swearing never to return--I knew no Albert or a George--what a load of rubbish!!
I spoke to my Mother the next day, recounting the 'funny' message. She paused then said but your Grandfathers brothers were Albert and George. They had returned from WW1 unscathed in body but not in mind. They got into all sorts of trouble and would eventually have gone to prison. They emigrated to Australia and were forgotten as 'black sheep' by the family
When I was 2 we were staying with my Fathers parents awaiting to move into our fist house. Albert and George visited for 4 weeks, they never again returned to England. They spent their nights drinking and their days taking me out. And yes they referred to me as the 'bonny wee lad'.
You dont get any more emphatically hooked than that--I have travelled a long path these last five years--Doubting Thomas is lost for words!
I still do have one question--why did spirit 'hook' me so late in life??????
Hope that is of some use to you dear lady Peter xxx

daisy
23-10-2006, 10:59 PM
hey nighttemplar if you look back and i mean really look back you'll see they 'hooked' you a long time ago.
i've just recognised this for myself. i love the spiritualist churches (apart from the singing lol) i was 'hooked' myself for a long time used to go up to 3 times a week, thomas, doubt no more xxx

kundalini
23-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Hi Nighttemplar,

I found your story to be most interesting and that question you asked at the end I would like to address. In my opinion, spirituality operates a lot with the issue of faith and you stated that you were a doubting thomas. Working on that assumption, I would say the reason spirit took so long to 'hook' you was because upto that point you had never truly believed but by going to the spiritualist church you were showing the possibility of believing in spirit and so they...'hooked' you.

Hope that helps,

Kundalini.

Nighttemplar
24-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Hi Kundalini
I was being very kind to my former self when using the phrase 'Doubting Thomas'. I hated and loathed all organised religion, saw it as the shackles of reason. I remember watching the film 'Mission' and then researching it's authenticity. I felt such anger towards the established churches for what they had done.
I was more than doubting thomas I was a crusader against all religion, christianity in particular. I was wasting my talents and required a big kick up the backside--I got it!!!!
Peter

daisy
30-10-2006, 12:07 AM
we all need a kick up the backside from time to time, and usually get it too lol, i understand your feelings towards religion though i was brought up as an atheist

kundalini
30-10-2006, 12:11 AM
I had forgotten about this thread!

Interesting point nighttemplar and I too understand your stance towards organised religion. Me myself have no religion but spiritual leanings...I would describe myself as a spiritualist.

Kundalini.

angelrealms
02-11-2006, 05:41 AM
hi ya all
i am a spiritualist, mine started when i was born,lol, when i was about 5/6yrs old i used to be woken by somebody sitting on my bed, this went on for yrs, and it frightened the live out of me, i would scream the house down, i would just be sitting doing nothing and someone would walk pass me, i would tell my mother but she never believed me, i would hear people talking to me asking me to help them, but no one else could hear them, all my family thought i was mad, myself included,since i was a young child i have drawn angels they always have a child with them, i have seen a angel, not one with white wings and a white gown, it was the most awesome thing i have ever seen in my life, i have always known spirit is around us since i was so young,i now feel at this point in my life i am being drawn to something else. so i just go with the flow and wait and see what happens, i have learnt spirit will not be rushed,
angelrealms

Lee
04-11-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm visting a spiritualist church tomorrow night 5th nov, this will be my second time within a year.

daisy
04-11-2006, 08:20 PM
let us know how it goes lee, i'm currently trying to 'reconnect' with my local churchxx

Lee
05-11-2006, 07:54 PM
A different spiritualist this time Daisy ,8 people sitting in the congragation and all got readings some good some not so good , like a bit confusing. My reading i couldn't really make much out of, apart from a shoulder injury my wife had, but my friend had her mate come through who got killed on a motorbike last year, and her baby she lost that is now named Brain in the spirit world she was quite upset by it bless her.

daisy
07-11-2006, 12:55 AM
A different spiritualist this time Daisy ,8 people sitting in the congragation and all got readings some good some not so good , like a bit confusing. My reading i couldn't really make much out of, apart from a shoulder injury my wife had, but my friend had her mate come through who got killed on a motorbike last year, and her baby she lost that is now named Brain in the spirit world she was quite upset by it bless her.

lee it is hard for mediums, most want to make a really good connection to spirit every time but this isn't always possible, like your readings the other night some were very good others weren't, it's the way it goes, it's ups and downs, but usually the person who truly needed the strongest message, such as your friend, usually gets it. did you 'truly need yours? hope that helps explain it a bit daisyxx

evelynlee333
07-11-2006, 05:19 AM
I am but I am churchless here:)plus the kids arent keen on being quiet lol

purplemint
21-11-2006, 11:07 PM
For me it has always been a part of my life, I just didn't chose to acknowledge it, for fear. It start with very vivid dreams which I had as a Child. about six years ago I started becoming curious about them,. Which lead to lots of reading and self exploration. From there I took classes in mediumship and joined a closed circle and attended a spiritual based church and several other types of groups. Through this process I continued to learn more about myself and connect with my Heart which resulted in releasing a lot of the EGO. From there it lead to a fasination with Mary Magdalene and I am now able to channel Mary. Who before 4 years ago I really had very little knowledge of. Spiritualism for me is connecting to your heart, soul, spirit which inturns connects you to the Universe and all the wonders and joy it has to offer thus the laws of Attraction.:hug3:

Third eye
22-11-2006, 04:35 AM
Very correctly said purpl emint, get rid of your ego, have acceptance of yourself as you are and towards your life,have a feeling of letgo ,Do meditation which will fill your heart with love in return . that is all is spiritualism ,that is all about being religious

revpo
30-11-2006, 11:28 PM
I find it interesting, but non existent of churches here, nearest one is 100 miles north of me, although I subscribe to the national spiritualist magazine finding it very interesting, and the study of spiritualism very interesting.

revpo

Mystfied
01-12-2006, 02:06 AM
I just found out the other day we have a Spiritualist church,here where I live. So as soon as I find out where and when they hold there service I plan on joining.

violetmay
14-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Mine started when I was 4, I had imaginary friends that were actually family members passed on.. as I grew older it susbsided a little, as my family were not into it and it was played down, and I was described as 'sensitive'. (and not in a nice way)... I was in my late teens when it happened again and more clearly, and I kept it quiet as I knew what my family would say. I learned my own things, and found my own way. When i got divorced I found a church, that had a circle and other stuff.. the circle was stuffy and 'established'...us newbies were not welcome.. so I joined other circles and found my own way. I am looking for a closed circle but they are secret and not always welcoming..

If there is anyone here from dorset... want to start our own?? Wouldn't need many members..I think for me that is the way to go.. to be part of a new one and be inviting to others..

anyway that's me.. season greetings by the way...xx

Lee
14-12-2006, 01:38 PM
lee it is hard for mediums, most want to make a really good connection to spirit every time but this isn't always possible, like your readings the other night some were very good others weren't, it's the way it goes, it's ups and downs, but usually the person who truly needed the strongest message, such as your friend, usually gets it. did you 'truly need yours? hope that helps explain it a bit daisyxx

Daisy, the reading i had has now become fasinating to me, the reason being is that what i didn't mention in my post ,because i thought it would be irellevent, is that i was told that i'd be taking a holiday in Grand Caneria, now i dont even own a passport and never go abroad for an holiday, so i thought no not me.
Well i'm leaving home after xmas to share with my girlfriend who has recently told me that she is gonna get me a passport, and take me on holiday to Tenerife. When she mentioned that, i straight away thought of the spiritualist. I asked my girlfriend ' Tenerife.. is part of the Grand Caneria isn't it ? she said YES and i just felt all tingles over my head and down my legs and ankles etc. For something that i thought was irrellevent had now potential qualities.

The other fascinating part of this reading that i found out to my horror early hours this morning 3:30 am, is that i was also told about some plumbing that needed fixing..............i said to the spiritualist, i've got no trouble with plumbing at home. and i said what sort of plumbing, she said she can see pipes, i said nope all my pipes seem ok....and when i mentioned this to my wife, she said it may have been the blocked sink in the bathroom. Well it certainly weasn't the blocked sink.
We must have had a leak in the downstairs shoe cupboard for sometime because when my wife went downstairs she slipped on water all over the carpet that had come over a leaky boiler pipe situated in the shoe cupboard, and we had to call out an emergency plumber. It must have been leaking for sometime and got worse over night because lots of shoes had turned into mould.

So it seems like i did need this reading after all and has taken three weeks to make some sense of it

Lee
19-12-2006, 01:10 PM
I visited the spitualist church again sunday night 17th dec, and had another fascinating reading. A friend of mine came through who had died in a car accident a few years back, but he didn't give his name. First he mentioned ...glad you got rid of the dodgy shoes, but you've still got a dodgy pair left you need to get rid of.........WELL if you go to my previous post, it mentions the pipe leak in the shoe cupboard that i had to clear out , because most of them went mouldy including old shoes i'd kept for years.

She said he wants you to look under your car bonnet because he is showing me those things that go up and down in holes, and they are just over the spark plugs..........i said "pistons" lol....she said yes but she's not very mechanical etc.....he said two of the pistons head gasket needs attention before it costs me too much money ' i mentioned the word gaskets' So i'm gonna get my mate to have a look soon......i'll let you know the outcome:wink:

he also said that i know someone with a dark car and this person has a passengers side wobbly wheel..........i asked some mate at work and one of them has a wobbly wheel, because he went down a ditch a couple of weeks back, he said "i aint gonna have an accident am i" i said no but you must sort it out.

he also said i'm sensitive to spirits 'that i am'
and i worry about money too much...i have been for sometime now
he told me told stop keep bloody worrying about money all the time

spiritalk
21-12-2006, 02:08 PM
revpo: check out: www.nsac.org (http://www.nsac.org) for all that is happening in Spiritualism in the national view.
Other sites include some Spiritualism by online attraction and by courses of study.

Indiana has one of the large Spiritualist camps that have summer programs.

I am an Ordained Minister in Canada and our site allows for study from all over. Visit us for interesting discussions (as well) http://groups.msn.com/spiritualwisdom

God bless, J

spiritalk
10-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm a spiritualist too - although I practice in my own way. I wrote an article and made a diary about my beliefs for BBC Faith website - have a look if you get a chance and are interested.

I used to sit in circle but don't at the moment. Looking for a closed circle - there doesn't seem to be one around here.

Nice to meet others of the same thinking!

Sue x

While you may not follow Spiritualism as such, they do welcome people to their circles. It might be a source to find some spiritually minded people. Just a thought...

God bless, J

spiritalk
10-01-2007, 10:00 PM
I just found out the other day we have a Spiritualist church,here where I live. So as soon as I find out where and when they hold there service I plan on joining.
Did you find the church? Where in Ontario? I am in Etobicoke (Toronto) and we have several here. It excites me to see someone close to home.

God bless, J

Mystfied
10-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi Spiritalk
The church I found is in Orillia ,service is held every Sunday evening,because of other things happening I have not had the chance to attend yet.
But I was invited to a Circle last Thursday evening and that was quite an experience,I do look forward to attending more or maybe hosting one in my home if the oppertunity arises.

daisy
15-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Daisy, the reading i had has now become fasinating to me, the reason being is that what i didn't mention in my post ,because i thought it would be irellevent, is that i was told that i'd be taking a holiday in Grand Caneria, now i dont even own a passport and never go abroad for an holiday, so i thought no not me.
Well i'm leaving home after xmas to share with my girlfriend who has recently told me that she is gonna get me a passport, and take me on holiday to Tenerife. When she mentioned that, i straight away thought of the spiritualist. I asked my girlfriend ' Tenerife.. is part of the Grand Caneria isn't it ? she said YES and i just felt all tingles over my head and down my legs and ankles etc. For something that i thought was irrellevent had now potential qualities.

The other fascinating part of this reading that i found out to my horror early hours this morning 3:30 am, is that i was also told about some plumbing that needed fixing..............i said to the spiritualist, i've got no trouble with plumbing at home. and i said what sort of plumbing, she said she can see pipes, i said nope all my pipes seem ok....and when i mentioned this to my wife, she said it may have been the blocked sink in the bathroom. Well it certainly weasn't the blocked sink.
We must have had a leak in the downstairs shoe cupboard for sometime because when my wife went downstairs she slipped on water all over the carpet that had come over a leaky boiler pipe situated in the shoe cupboard, and we had to call out an emergency plumber. It must have been leaking for sometime and got worse over night because lots of shoes had turned into mould.

So it seems like i did need this reading after all and has taken three weeks to make some sense of it

lee i had a reading once from a medium but rather than spirit communication as such he gave me a list of things he expected to happen for the future too i was saying 'no way is that going to happen' it took 5 years but everything was exactly as he said it would beisn't it great when it does :smile:

daisy
15-01-2007, 11:17 PM
I visited the spitualist church again sunday night 17th dec, and had another fascinating reading. A friend of mine came through who had died in a car accident a few years back, but he didn't give his name. First he mentioned ...glad you got rid of the dodgy shoes, but you've still got a dodgy pair left you need to get rid of.........WELL if you go to my previous post, it mentions the pipe leak in the shoe cupboard that i had to clear out , because most of them went mouldy including old shoes i'd kept for years.

She said he wants you to look under your car bonnet because he is showing me those things that go up and down in holes, and they are just over the spark plugs..........i said "pistons" lol....she said yes but she's not very mechanical etc.....he said two of the pistons head gasket needs attention before it costs me too much money ' i mentioned the word gaskets' So i'm gonna get my mate to have a look soon......i'll let you know the outcome:wink:
he told me told stop keep bloody worrying about money all the time

please do let me know lee, spirit don't always give names as other things they say is proof enough:wink: i struggle with names when i give readings quite often, yet other things are as clear as a bell, i'm glad you're getting something out of this, have you joined a group yet or are you just attending the services for now and what do you think of the philosophy:smile: (message too short???????:confused: )

he also said that i know someone with a dark car and this person has a passengers side wobbly wheel..........i asked some mate at work and one of them has a wobbly wheel, because he went down a ditch a couple of weeks back, he said "i aint gonna have an accident am i" i said no but you must sort it out.

he told me told stop keep bloody worrying about money all the time[/QUOTE]

whitewing
16-01-2007, 12:16 PM
hey daisy x x x x
im a spiritualist as well ,
spent time in the church completed healing course and for a was healing leader in the church , but spirit had other plans for me so i left x x x x
have a new age shop where i do healing (when required ) but also have some more thingys in the pipe line x x x x
love and light x x x x
whitewing

daisy
16-01-2007, 10:28 PM
hiya whitewing, your shop sounds great, isn't spiritual healing good, the church is a great place, will chat with you some more soon it seems we have much in common, take care xxx

Nomad
02-02-2007, 11:16 PM
I suppose I am a spiritualist, it took a long time for me to call myself one, I am not keen on calling myself religious as I have always been somewhat skeptical of anything that I could not prove or see for myself.

I stumbled onto a spiritual site that claimed to give readings in a chatroom and basically went in to see how crazy these people were.
Within a year i had a rather shocking wake up call when I got the weirdest feelings that caused me to seek out medical advice ... :)

Looking back I laugh now, but it was my first introduction to feeling spirit, and it took me a good 6 months to accept what was happening, (very hard to go from a skeptic to someone claiming to feel spirit).

I am still very much a novice, but a keen student in mediumship, recently started looking into healing.
I have sat in circles, mainly online, I am quite a shy and nervous person so I have only sat in a handful of real life circles at a local church.

I am finding it to be a very slow and long road, and cannot yet claim to have any earth shattering visions of guides etc, but have managed a few readings for people that convinced me that it cannot all be my imagination.

It is good to find sites like these to know that I am not infact crazy, which I believed for some time ... :D

daisy
02-02-2007, 11:22 PM
hey a warm welcome nomad, my road was slow and long then one day everything seemed to happen at once, enjoy the walk absorb the views and conserve your energies, i'm sure it will all happen for you when the time's right xxx
btw you're not crazy but most of us have thought we are at some point or another

Nomad
02-02-2007, 11:28 PM
hey a warm welcome nomad, my road was slow and long then one day everything seemed to happen at once, enjoy the walk absorb the views and conserve your energies, i'm sure it will all happen for you when the time's right xxx
btw you're not crazy but most of us have thought we are at some point or another

Thank you for the welcome :smile:

I realise it is a road that never ends, and at the moment I am just sitting by the side of it wondering wether to carry on or pretend the road doesnt exist :D

However, "they" dont take no for an answer it seems...

daisy
02-02-2007, 11:32 PM
are you absorbing anything by just sitting though? maybe you should get up and take a look around and one step at a time for now, and your quite right i believe this road doesn't end till we reach 'home' which is hopefully many years away for us allxxx
if it's meant to be it will happenxx

spiritalk
22-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Indiana has one of the largest Spriitualism camps in the US. Is Indiana that large that it is 100 miles to any church? (several are available)

Where in Ontario, Canada? Toronto has several centres, as does other places. For some help locating a spot, let me know....we have a directory for just that purpose.

God bless, J

celtic_cutty
22-02-2007, 06:53 PM
hi to you all..good to read your posts..as it encourages and gives faith to the likes of me that is struggling..I have always felt presences and the likes..especially as past 6 years..I get impatient and frustrated at times because I CANT PICK messages up..cant see for looking maybe..but cheers nomad for your posts..gives me faith knowing that others are finding the road rocky x

daisy
22-02-2007, 10:46 PM
i'm sure it's not a smooth road for anyone, keep going onwards and forwards xxxx

janspirit
01-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi Daisy

I got involved in a home development circle run by Joe, the president of a spiritualist church in Dec 1987. How I got involved with that was I went for an astrology reading with him (he was friends with someone I worked with at the time), and he said I had spiritual gifts to develop. Later on he invited me to join his circle.

I first went to a spiritualist church in April 87 after my mum passed - (this was a different one than the one ran by Joe) - and got a message from the medium.

I went to a few services at the church - and trained as a spiritual healer with them (at Joe's church). I also joined a group to go to Stansted Hall in 1988 which was v interesting - a week for mediumship development.

I do go to church now and again, and I have run home meditation circles myself - and may do this again in the future. I enjoy going to church, but I believe it's kind of a stepping stone on your path, if u know what i mean.

I am open to Truth and Light in all its forms.. and believe in religious tolerance.

love and light

janspirit x
:blob3:

Michael523
04-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Hello Daisy,

After reading through all the responses, I fall into the area of growing up with my gifts. As for becoming a Spiritualist, that may be more of a hybrid topic and item for me, as I am still a base Christian (with strong ties and beliefs in God), but I also see many other avenues in life which sometimes fall outside of the norm for a religious faith.

Years of experience have shown me things, as I am sure other people have seen, that normal religious faiths can not explain. With those, I was hard pressed to not acknowledge things or at least think about them. Over the years, it has evolved and grown into what I like to think is a comprehensive faith.

For me, being spiritual is a way of life (and I know many people feel the same), more so than living by letter and wrote.

At any rate, thank you to everyone who posted a portion of their lives, and shared how they have navigated life to this point. It's always helpful to see others making it in life with a healthy mindset.

Thanks,
Michael

Ancestral
05-04-2007, 11:38 AM
I grew up in a Spiritualist home but I did not become one until about a decade ago. I am empathic and that is growing to the point I am not sure if I feel that I am ready for it to grow or not. But a higher being decided I was otherwise it would not have grown. Life takes us down many paths and it is an interesting path to walk. I would not change anything in my life not even to erase the pain for the pain is a part of me. I do not go to church because I feel everywhere I am is where the Great Spirit is.

GaiaPrayer
13-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Hello all. I too am a Spiritualist. I was raised in a Catholic home but thankfully my parents were very lenient with me in my early years. Nice to meet you all.:smile:

Starbuck
15-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm also a spiritualist, but was raised Christian (C of E). I was a Christian right until a few years ago, but then I started to struggle with some aspects of it and felt that Christianity no longer worked for me. I still believe in Jesus, that he was a wonderful and very spiritually evolved man, but I can't accept what organised Christianity is preaching. I made the decision to go my own way and I now follow a spiritual path by meditating, practising yoga and reiki healing, and I feel much more at home, so to speak. I don't go to spiritualist church at the moment but I want to start sitting in on a few sessions!

Nice to meet other spiritualists!

SpiritandStone
21-04-2007, 04:24 AM
I traveled through Dance, Buddhism, Photography, and Jungian psychology, only to find myself in the most unexpected of places.

The Gospels of Jesus Christ.

I believe Jesus Christ was a Human Being. Imperfect, but enlightened.
I believe his message was simply The Power of Love.
Believing him to be a Human Being has freed me to hear his words.
I take those that speak to me, and leave the rest.

I don't believe Everything about Anything.

True Beliefs can come only from the Believer's own Heart.

Love,
Bob
The Spirit and the Stone (http://thespiritandthestone.squarespace.com/welcome/)

m.namasivayam
12-05-2007, 09:20 AM
I dont know whether iam a spiritualist or not. But iam doing spiritual reserach. Iam doing meditation for the past 8 years. Meditation brought back my health and giving more strength.I have my own website and share my spiritual experiences. Though i am not an artist i draw my visualisation. I have deciphered certain symbols and received cosmic communication from akashic records.

http://i7.tinypic.com/6bm5fvb.jpg

mac
01-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I am very much into my spirituality, and it happen over a long four hour talk at the beach with a close friend. I was rasied Catholic but we didn't go by the book we just believe in god and went to church. I didn't understand the religion so I just said I believe in god. Until four years ago when the talk happen my mind was opened and I was able to understand the the connection with everything. Ever since I have pages and drawings of my new understanding...it was wonderful how spiritual information just flowed through me. It seem like ever day I was learning more about people's and nature's inner soul and the energy that lies within everything. I started to get in tuned with stones and the magical healing powers, the power of air and water that keeps us alive. I even had a tree expericence where I was in the worst stated of mind and as I layed on the grass outside of a friends house I looked up at a tree and as the wind blew its branches and leaves seem to release this funny nrg and which it made my tears into giggles and gave me a sense of peace. I was fine after that, now I can feel nature's nrg. I can go on and on and tuss me I will..

Any chance that I get to talk about spiritulity and our connections I take that time to help people remember what they forgot..

I'm banging the same drum I always bang - this forum is for discussions about 'Spiritualism' - I have a sticky posting explaining this philosophy and religion at the beginning of the forum. Please take a look. Discussions on general spirituality do not really belong in the 'Spiritualism' forum - suitable forums are available and appropriate.

Tricia
01-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey Mac, nice to see you again, as I'm sure you are aware SF has been down for quite a few days. Hope you are keeping well:hug3:

mac
01-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I dont know whether iam a spiritualist or not. But iam doing spiritual reserach. Iam doing meditation for the past 8 years. Meditation brought back my health and giving more strength.I have my own website and share my spiritual experiences. Though i am not an artist i draw my visualisation. I have deciphered certain symbols and received cosmic communication from akashic records.

http://i7.tinypic.com/6bm5fvb.jpg
Please see my posting above for help in distinguishing what a 'Spiritualist' is in connection with the 'Spiritualism' forum and what Modern Spiritualism is about (see 'Religions and Faiths - Spiritualism')

mac
01-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Hey Mac, nice to see you again, as I'm sure you are aware SF has been down for quite a few days. Hope you are keeping well:hug3:

Hello Tricia - yes there have been problems while I've been away and travelling - had to re-register - oh the indignity!! :D

Wonder if anything has been lost from archives? It's a bad business when stuff gets lost - shows how flimsy cyber space is compared to hard copy....:wink:

Kaere
01-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi mac, if you'll notice... all the threads on the forum are from May 2007.

mac
04-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Hi mac, if you'll notice... all the threads on the forum are from May 2007.
Hi Kaere

I've just seen your response after I signed in. The penny had dropped just before I read your comment. It had hit me that the postings I made the other day will be meaningless because the reference I made to my 'sticky' explanation is no longer relevant - it's gone...:icon_frown:

Wow it just shows how flaky cyber space records are. If a server goes down without an up to date back up, then everything recent has gone... What a lesson to anyone storing photos and other valuable files that they should have various copies - hard ones included - for the inevitable time when a system crashes, be it an online server or their own computer at home.

All the rubbish has gone but also the important stuff too. Shame....:icon_frown:

mac
04-10-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't know if I can muster enough enthusiasm to keep banging on again that Modern Spiritualism - to give the religion and philosophy its proper title - is not the same as 'spirituality'....

Ah, well, that's a start and maybe I will find the enthusiasm in time.

mac
04-10-2010, 12:58 AM
Looking again this time properly (it's been a bit hectic for me this past week) I can see I must look an even bigger dimbo (that OK?) than I usually do by not noticing that the recovered postings are up to mid 2007.

I see no value in holding on to such old stuff when the newer has been lost other than to notify members to re-register.

I would prefer that the website as a whole were started again - as HealthyPages was a few years back - and a new database of old members be created to help them re-register.

What do/does the owner(s) of the website plan to do? It doesn't look likely that any of the old website records will be recovered after all this time....

Edited by SF Staff

daisy
04-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Hi Mac:), please trust me when I say all staff and especially heidi and her friend are doing everything possible to get the forum as close to the original as possible, unfortunately this will take some time.

mac
04-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Hi Mac:), please trust me when I say all staff and especially heidi and her friend are doing everything possible to get the forum as close to the original as possible, unfortunately this will take some time.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that something can be achieved - this website is a valuable resource and a good place to be amongst like-minded friends. :hug3:

mac
04-10-2010, 02:02 AM

wow, daisy, you guys keep late hours in the UK - it's 8 o'clock here and already I'm getting ready for bed!!:D

Leah85
05-10-2010, 03:01 AM
(Sigh...) I guess I have mistaken the terms and I'm sorry for that, you are absolutely right. I have already changed my previous post to another section :D

Well, actually I have already visited a Spiritualist Church, in order to overcome the pain of my grief for the loss of two very close family members, and a major depression for events occurring in my life at the moment like serious health problems, end of a very significant relationship and other circumstances. I have heard of people from my circle of friends that were proven by means of mediumship that death is not the end at all. And, if that idea comforted me for a while in relation to my beloved ones, one of them being very young, it also left me anxious in some way, thinking if they have been able to find their "way to the Light" somehow, if they were in peace... (One of them didn't have spiritual/religious beliefs at all, and I was afraid that they just couldn't find their path and somehow have been lost forever, if that is possible anyway).

So I decided to take the chance and went to a Spiritualist Church, hoping for comfort and friendly support, and maybe some words or signs for one of my beloved ones. But instead of that, I was told I was being watched by my grand-grandmother, which I didn't even know at all, and that the answers I was looking for were not supposed to be given to me in that time. And though the woman who was "channelling" was not very specific towards it, it made some sense at that time since I was wondering about questions like if what I was going through was supposed to happen to me in terms of predestination, if I could avoid pain somehow, why I couldn't just stablish a harmonious relationship to a person I loved very much and who I was painfully missing at a moment like that... But the most touching and important moment was when the woman told me "You shall not kill yourself, since that is not what you truly believe; you are just lost in your way, but already are in your way, so this shall not last forever. That's all you need to know for now". And IT MADE SENSE AT ALL, because I was actually thinking about suicide (which I would never consider presently, but I was very depressed and ill at the time). So, I may have not had the answers I was waiting for, because maybe I have to find them on my own, but I don't believe that what she said may have been only a coincidence.

It was not an exactly spectacular experience, like others I have heard of, but it gave me some insight at a moment I felt nothing in my life made sense, I saw only pain and suffer around and joy seemed to happen only in other people's life. I was taught to be strong, faithful and patient. And, sometimes, life is not only about excitement and blessings, and we have to learn somehow to accept loss and change, even when we are not expecting or we don't want to. "Everything will be ok in the end", I was told by a friend, "and if it is not ok right now, it has just not finished yet". I was obsessed with understanding what was happening in my life, and I have learned that some things are not supposed to be understood at the moment and we should just live it the best we can, instead of becoming scared and faithless.

I think of coming back to A Spiritualist Church, since I consider I have reached another path in my journey, in practical and also spiritual terms. My Grand Mother used to go to that same Church when she was younger and maybe because I associate it to her, I feel it is "safe, friendly and natural" somehow. I am just not sure about Spiritualism's links to Christianity since I feel more connected to Eastern religions, but that is something with doesn't worry much. The most important to me is a fuller understanding of the purpose of life and death and live a life full of Love and Enlightenment, and everyone and everything that helps me on that is welcome.:hug3:

I appologize for my mistake once more, I guess that's why they call us "newbies" :tongue: I appreciate your kindness.

Blessings,

Leah :cat:

mac
05-10-2010, 03:19 AM
With regret, Leah, I must wind up the phonograph which plays my old refrain that this is a forum for discussion of matters related to Modern Spiritualism - 'Spiritualism' as it's now called for short. (see SF>Religions and Faiths>Spiritualism in the forum titles)

This is a legally recognised religion in the UK and a philosophy and science based on our survival beyond death and communication through mediumship with those who have passed on.

In your piece I see your references to 'spirituality' but can find no reference to 'Spiritualism'. :hug3:

EmergingPath
05-10-2010, 06:10 AM
With regret, Leah, I must wind up the phonograph which plays my old refrain that this is a forum for discussion of matters related to Modern Spiritualism - 'Spiritualism' as it's now called for short. (see SF>Religions and Faiths>Spiritualism in the forum titles)

This is a legally recognised religion in the UK and a philosophy and science based on our survival beyond death and communication through mediumship with those who have passed on.

In your piece I see your references to 'spirituality' but can find no reference to 'Spiritualism'. :hug3:

And that is just fine Leah, oft times that happens in this particular forum (Spiritualism)

I liked reading your re-introduction and perhaps you could post something in the welcome area where many more members are likely to read it :)

mac
05-10-2010, 01:00 PM
And that is just fine Leah, oft times that happens in this particular forum (Spiritualism)

I liked reading your re-introduction and perhaps you could post something in the welcome area where many more members are likely to read it :)

Thank you for that offer - I would be happy to prepare a short explanation. :smile:

It may have to wait a little time, though, as we're on the road and I will shortly be without an Internet connection.

mac

Leah85
06-10-2010, 01:00 AM
After reediting my previous post, I was left with one question: most of the people who are Spiritualists share some features with Christianity, since Spiritualism emerged in a Christian environment, am I right? I appreciate your kindness and appologize once more for my mistake.

mac
06-10-2010, 01:19 AM
After reediting my previous post, I was left with one question: most of the people who are Spiritualists share some features with Christianity, since Spiritualism emerged in a Christian environment, am I right? I appreciate your kindness and appologize once more for my mistake.
No, you are mistaken inasmuch as I am speaking about UK Spiritualism. Here in the USA, where I presently am travelling, Spiritualism is barely recognisable compared with the UK version. It did not emerge or develop in a Christian environment other than in the sense that the UK is notionally Christian, but in practice it's little more than notional.

Christianity shares little with Modern Spiritualism - I intend to use this term increasingly because there are so many muddling this religion and philosophy with 'spirituality'. One complicating issue, though, is that there is a movement which calls itself Christian Spiritualism!! :rolleyes: For me this retains the worst of the ritualism, iconography and dogma of the Christian church while professing to follow Spiritualist philosophy. An unhappy marriage I find, as do many others who follow the simple message of Modern Spiritualism.

I hope this has helped you a little...:redface:

Leah85
06-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Yes, you helped a lot. You are very kind and patient with newbies :D

May I ask you, then, what is the position of Modern Spiritualism towards Alan Kardec's work?

Blessings :smile:

mac
06-10-2010, 01:32 AM
(Sigh...) I guess I have mistaken the terms and I'm sorry for that, you are absolutely right. I have already changed my previous post to another section :D

Well, actually I have already visited a Spiritualist Church, in order to overcome the pain of my grief for the loss of two very close family members, and a major depression for events occurring in my life at the moment like serious health problems, end of a very significant relationship and other circumstances. I have heard of people from my circle of friends that were proven by means of mediumship that death is not the end at all. And, if that idea comforted me for a while in relation to my beloved ones, one of them being very young, it also left me anxious in some way, thinking if they have been able to find their "way to the Light" somehow, if they were in peace... (One of them didn't have spiritual/religious beliefs at all, and I was afraid that they just couldn't find their path and somehow have been lost forever, if that is possible anyway).

So I decided to take the chance and went to a Spiritualist Church, hoping for comfort and friendly support, and maybe some words or signs for one of my beloved ones. But instead of that, I was told I was being watched by my grand-grandmother, which I didn't even know at all, and that the answers I was looking for were not supposed to be given to me in that time. And though the woman who was "channelling" was not very specific towards it, it made some sense at that time since I was wondering about questions like if what I was going through was supposed to happen to me in terms of predestination, if I could avoid pain somehow, why I couldn't just stablish a harmonious relationship to a person I loved very much and who I was painfully missing at a moment like that... But the most touching and important moment was when the woman told me "You shall not kill yourself, since that is not what you truly believe; you are just lost in your way, but already are in your way, so this shall not last forever. That's all you need to know for now". And IT MADE SENSE AT ALL, because I was actually thinking about suicide (which I would never consider presently, but I was very depressed and ill at the time). So, I may have not had the answers I was waiting for, because maybe I have to find them on my own, but I don't believe that what she said may have been only a coincidence.

It was not an exactly spectacular experience, like others I have heard of, but it gave me some insight at a moment I felt nothing in my life made sense, I saw only pain and suffer around and joy seemed to happen only in other people's life. I was taught to be strong, faithful and patient. And, sometimes, life is not only about excitement and blessings, and we have to learn somehow to accept loss and change, even when we are not expecting or we don't want to. "Everything will be ok in the end", I was told by a friend, "and if it is not ok right now, it has just not finished yet". I was obsessed with understanding what was happening in my life, and I have learned that some things are not supposed to be understood at the moment and we should just live it the best we can, instead of becoming scared and faithless.

I think of coming back to A Spiritualist Church, since I consider I have reached another path in my journey, in practical and also spiritual terms. My Grand Mother used to go to that same Church when she was younger and maybe because I associate it to her, I feel it is "safe, friendly and natural" somehow. I am just not sure about Spiritualism's links to Christianity since I feel more connected to Eastern religions, but that is something with doesn't worry much. The most important to me is a fuller understanding of the purpose of life and death and live a life full of Love and Enlightenment, and everyone and everything that helps me on that is welcome.

I appologize for my mistake once more, I guess that's why they call us "newbies" I appreciate your kindness.

Blessings,

Leah :cat:
Thank you for your concern - it's an easy mistake to make and one which gets compounded by others who respond but themselves do not understand....

I've just recalled you're writing from Portugal where I believe you may encounter 'Spiritism' rather than 'Modern Spiritualism'. There are no significant differences however although the language may be slightly different (I don't mean it's Portugese :wink:)

If I may speak a little further, the basis of Modern Spiritualism is that we survive our physical death and emerge to live again, and again, and again should we choose. It's an amazingly simple philosophy which when one investigates just a little one finds that so many conundrums of day-to-day life can be understood, in itself helping to deal with the pressures we face.

It is not just 'speaking to the dead' as many will describe it. It's a philosophy for life. Reassurance of survival can come from communication through mediumship with those we loved but who have passed over. That can be an earth-shattering realisation although communication can never be guaranteed - it's not like using a cell phone!

So.....from what you have now told us, maybe you didn't post in the wrong forum after all?

What do you think? :wink: :hug3:

Leah85
06-10-2010, 01:59 AM
You are right mac, here in Portugal we find "Spiritism" rather than "Modern Spiritualism", but I guess the difference lies majorly in a language difference more than in a conceptual one.

Looks like I didn't post at the wrong section, after all, and I'm glad I did even if that took me by an idiot :sign10:

As far as I can see, Modern Spiritualism lays on a every-day life support, not only "talking to the death" for curiosity or simply because we miss our beloved ones. I was not allowed, for some reason, or I was not supposed to, get in touch with my diseased brother and grandfather, but I was given somehow a feeling that I was being guided, though I felt in a total loneliness and despair, finding no sense in my losses and no reason for being alive. All I felt was guilt and resentment to myself because I had some issues with both of my beloved ones, and it seemed that now I would never had the chance to give my best to them and let themselves proud of me. But I left that Church with the feeling that I actually had the chance to do that. My lesson then, I believe, was learning to accept and heal myself and it seems I was being guided and helped in that process instead of committing suicide and throw it all away. So I would say yes, that experience had a pratical application in my life.

I think that Modern Spiritualism may give us some kind of insight and orientation, even if communication to our beloved ones is not guaranteed.

In relation to the communication with spirits, whether they are familiar to us or not, I think we should take what they say with caution, since the souls are in different paths of evolution and they find themselves in different levels of awareness (I kept that idea from Alan Kardec's work). It is not just as simple as talking to a spirit and ask him "ok, tell me the absolute truth about the after-death and the creation of souls". That would be nice, but doesn't seem to me that easy at all, right? :tongue:

Thank you so much for your explanation. I'm glad my ignorance turned into a productive conversation :D

mac
06-10-2010, 02:02 AM
Yes, you helped a lot. You are very kind and patient with newbies :D

May I ask you, then, what is the position of Modern Spiritualism towards Alan Kardec's work?

Blessings :smile:

I 'cut my teeth' on 'The Spirits Book' (compiled by Kardec) but looking through recently, after perhaps 15 years, I was shocked by its archaic feel. That said there is much which is in line with Spiritualist teaching, albeit it written in a modern fashion! But the truth which came from the spirit communicators then is now just as much the truth as it ever was. It has to be said, though, that communicators were not always highly spiritually evolved individuals and their perceptions may be a little mistaken.

Take reincarnation which is declared there as automatic and frequent for all souls - I struggled with this until recent years when 'the penny dropped' that freewill means that we may choose if we have further incarnations when we have reached a certain level of advancement, of understanding.

I am touched that you feel I am patient...thank you for that...:redface: I try my best but often I fail.

mac
06-10-2010, 02:10 AM
You are right mac, here in Portugal we find "Spiritism" rather than "Modern Spiritualism", but I guess the difference lies majorly in a language difference more than in a conceptual one.

Looks like I didn't post at the wrong section, after all, and I'm glad I did even if that took me by an idiot :sign10:

As far as I can see, Modern Spiritualism lays on a every-day life support, not only "talking to the death" for curiosity or simply because we miss our beloved ones. I was not allowed, for some reason, or I was not supposed to, get in touch with my diseased brother and grandfather, but I was given somehow a feeling that was being guided, though I felt in a total loneliness and despair, finding no sense in my losses and no reason for being alive. All I felt was guilt and resentment to myself because I had some issues with both of my beloved ones, and it seemed that now I would never had the chance to give my best to them and let themselves proud of me. But I left that Church with the feeling that I actually had the chance to do that. My lesson then, I believe, was learning to accept and heal myself and it seems I was being guided and helped in that process instead of committing suicide and throw it all away. So I would say yes, that experience had a pratical application in my life.

I think that Modern Spiritualism may give us some kind of insight and orientation, even if communication to our beloved ones is not guaranteed.

In relation to the communication with spirits, whether they are familiar to us or not, I think we should take what they say with caution, since the souls are in different paths of evolution and they find themselves in different levels of awareness (I kept that idea from Alan Kardec's work). It is not just as simple as talking to a spirit and ask him "ok, tell me tha absolute truth about the after-death and the creation of souls". That would be nice, but doesn't seem to me that easy at all, right? :tongue:

Thank you so much for your explanation. I'm glad my ignorance turned into a productive conversation :D
"I'm glad my ignorance turned into a productive conversation" I wonder if your alleged ignorance was nothing of the sort - just something within you which was waiting to be liberated. It is a pleasure and a privilege to work with someone who clearly has made huge progress in a very few lines...

"It is not just as simple as talking to a spirit and ask him "ok, tell me tha absolute truth about the after-death and the creation of souls". That would be nice, but doesn't seem to me that easy at all, right?" "I think we should take what they say with caution, since the souls are in different paths of evolution and they find themselves in different levels of awareness"

Absolutely bang-on right! But there are more ways of skinning a cat than one....Where's this ignorance you were claiming, eh? :wink:

"My lesson then, I believe, was learning to accept and heal myself and it seems I was being guided and helped in that process instead of committing suicide and throw it all away. So I would say yes, that experience had a pratical application in my life" Who is helping whom tonight? (my time) I'm sitting here listening - you already have the answers.... :hug3:

Leah85
06-10-2010, 02:27 AM
It is so nice to find people like you who are available to help and explain what is not very clear to some of us. You've helped a lot and though I enjoy learning on myself investigating and reading, there's nothing more amazing than findind out on other's experiences that something we thought of or we felt so strongly to be true is REAL afterall, and we were not going mad. It is also good to feel that seeking for a truth or something that helps us fuller understanding life and human condition is not the same as being unsuccessful or unable to normally living in a daily basis.

I am looking forward to find previous posts of your own so that I can learn a little more on your personal experience. You seem very comfortable with this theme and that almost for sure has influenced your journey in a more practical manner. It's not only about "knowing for the knowledge itself", but rather a "knowing how to live better using what we know".

People in the church I went to also practised some kind of "aura cleansing procedures" which involved some prayers, but weren't exactly a ritual. I felt extremely sleepy that day, after the procedure which I was said that was supposed to clean me out from "negative emotional charge" which by themselves could attract lower entities. Some people there seemed a little paranoic to me, but afterall it's all about how each people lives his/her own beliefs, not an issue of a belief system itself.

Blessings and thank you for your kind words and clear explanations! :smile:

mac
06-10-2010, 02:46 AM
It is so nice to find people like you who are available to help and explain what is not very clear to some of us. You've helped a lot and though I enjoy learning on myself investigating and reading, there's nothing more amazing than findind out on other's experiences that something we thought of or we felt so strongly to be true is REAL afterall, and we were not going mad. It is also good to feel that seeking for a truth or something that helps us fuller understanding life and human condition is not the same as being unsuccessful or unable to normally living in a daily basis.

I am looking forward to find previous posts of your own so that I can learn a little more on your personal experience. You seem very comfortable with this theme and that almost for sure has influenced your journey in a more practical manner. It's not only about "knowing for the knowledge itself", but rather a "knowing how to live better using what we know".

People in the church I went to also practised some kind of "aura cleansing procedures" which involved some prayers, but weren't exactly a ritual. I felt extremely sleepy that day, after the procedure which I was said that was supposed to clean me out from "negative emotional charge" which by themselves could attract lower entities. Some people there seemed a little paranoic to me, but afterall it's all about how each people lives his/her own beliefs, not an issue of a belief system itself.

Blessings and thank you for your kind words and clear explanations! :smile:
My pleasure and my privilege. What you've described in terms of learning by yourself and finding corroboration from others is one of the most satisfying things for me also. As time passes this happens less but as that is happening I have been told that my role is now to help the path of others and I could wish nothing more... As you've accurately observed I am very comfortable with this and other spiritual themes and issues. It's taken a time to get there may I add!!

I have read all the rest of your posting which is very interesting - thank you.

I hope you do find something from my earlier postings which appeals to you although the fortunes of SF have recently been very shaky and much appears lost, maybe irretrievably...:icon_frown:

I also post extensively elsewhere, places I think you may also find interesting. pm if you are interested although in about 12 hours time I will be offline for a few days as we visit the balloon festival....

xxSaffronxx
06-10-2010, 10:01 AM
in fact I've been to a Spiritualist service this very evening! :smile:

Hi jeremy

I am considering going to my local spiritualist church, but im a little worried. Please could you give me some insight as to what happens there?

Serenity Bear
07-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Hi Im a Spiritualist as well!

Most of the services Iv been to - depending on type - usually follow this format:

Introduction and Opening Prayer
Hymn
Healing Prayer
Reading of text
Hymn
Inspirational talk about the text
Hymn
Introduction of Medium
Mediums demonstration - giving messages to the congregation
Final notices
Closing Prayer
A cup of tea and biscuit offered.

Healing services and demonstration services usually are sligtly different.

mac
10-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Hi Im a Spiritualist as well!

Most of the services Iv been to - depending on type - usually follow this format:

Introduction and Opening Prayer
Hymn
Healing Prayer
Reading of text
Hymn
Inspirational talk about the text
Hymn
Introduction of Medium
Mediums demonstration - giving messages to the congregation
Final notices
Closing Prayer
A cup of tea and biscuit offered.

Healing services and demonstration services usually are sligtly different.

good to hear, SB.

Just a general note, though, that Spiritualism (forum title) isn't just about churches - I'm one of the staunchest Spiritualists you'll find but churches are not my thing.....

But I support church work wholeheartedly.

Katiecat
08-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I seen on previous pages, people talking about Indiana. Indiana has a few Spiritualist churches in Indianapolis, and then a few more spread out. But to most places other than Indianapolis, it's hard to find one at a convenient distance. I have not been to Camp Chesterfield...its 2 hours away from me. But I hear it is amazing! The closest Spiritualist church from me is an hour away.

I had my first experience at a Spiritualist church this Saturday. I attended a workshop they offered. I was there for almost 9 hours. I had no idea what to expect before I went. It's a small building, and you can't tell much from the outside, of course. But when I went in, I felt like I was in a slice of heaven. The people were so nice, and I immediately felt connected. I learned so much! I'm hoping to go back soon!

I was raised Christian. I have been a part of many Christian denominations trying to figure out where I fit in. I like many aspects of Christianity. I certainly love Jesus, and I embrace him as my Savior. My husband and I (along with our daughter) are Lutheran. We attend a very liberal church. My husband has no interest in communicating with the other side. I will give him credit, though, he gave it a go. He used a pendulum for a while, and was better with it than I am. He seems to have spiritual gifts. He just has no interest...which is OK. He supports me in learning whatever my heart desires. I'm just thankful he does not draw a line with it and expect me to believe exactly the same as he does.

Here is my problem I now have. I want to embrace Spiritualism while still maintaining my Christian faith and relationship with Jesus. I know some of you are probably rolling your eyes, but I love both churches! My Lutheran church does not offer enough for me, spiritually speaking. I get bored. I also have gifts...that they would never recognize. I visited my friend pentecostal church recently and had an encounter with the Holy Spirit that really opened up my gifts, and led to my awakening. It's a really long story, there....that spans over many years.

Is it OK, and allowed to do my spiritual growth at once church, while worshipping in another?

Also, with my gifts, I have a hard time not feeling guilty when I read Scriptures like Deuteronomy 18:10-11... There is also a passage in Luke that I have a hard time with. I know this is not what this particular thread is for, but if those Spiritualists here, with Christian backgrounds could send me a pm regarding this, that would be great. Thanks!

mac
08-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Certain points made in this thread illustrate the chasm between the US version of Spiritualism and that found in the UK, where it's a formally structured and legally recognised religion.

There are - maybe - some similarities with the UK's Christian Spiritualist church's proceedings and followings but this is anyway a minor church in the UK.

Speaking personally I find Christianity's beliefs and dogma almost totally at odds with the simplicity of Modern Spiritualist philosophy and teachings.

Trying to embrace Christian teachings and beliefs, while at the same time as professing to have an interest in Spiritualism, is - I respectfully suggest - likely to be a hiding to nothing.

Attempts at adherence to both inevitably requires awkward compromises of each.

Katiecat
08-11-2010, 09:12 PM
I understand what you are saying....so you understand my struggle, then?

Spiritualism IS a recognized religion here. It's just not as mainstream.

mac
08-11-2010, 09:22 PM
I understand what you are saying....so you understand my struggle, then?

Spiritualism IS a recognized religion here. It's just not as mainstream.

Yes and no... I understand why you are struggling to reconcile the two but I don't understand why you are continuing with that struggle. :confused:

I think you'll find that in the USA Spiritualism is not formally constituted and recognised as it has been in the UK for the past five decades - unless I've got it completely wrong? And Modern Spiritualism can not for one moment be classed as mainstream on either side of the pond.

No matter and not important for this discussion - my point was simply to show the difference between the ways it's seen on either side of the Atlantic.

The aspect of trying to reconcile Christian beliefs with Spiritualism is altogether an even harder task...although some live with both persuasions.

Katiecat
08-11-2010, 10:03 PM
I noticed in the spiritualist church I attended that there were several pictures on the wall of Jesus Christ, as well as the Lord's Prayer.

mac
09-11-2010, 08:02 AM
I noticed in the spiritualist church I attended that there were several pictures on the wall of Jesus Christ, as well as the Lord's Prayer.

Something you'd be unlikely to find in a traditional UK Spiritualist church but probably in a Christian Spiritualist one.

That can vary, however, because organising bodies vary and individuals may influence the overall tone of a place.

Look behind the facade, though, and neither Jesus (healer, teacher) nor God (as supreme creator) is viewed as in mainstream religions.

Some may find that unsettling because of the effects of schooling and conditioning from childhood etc. Others are liberated from those shackles and move forward.

Katiecat
09-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Yes, I know they don't view Jesus as a Messiah. And I can totally understand your last statement about how some can find it unsettling, while others find it liberating. As for myself, what I find liberating is that they don't place certain spiritual gifts as taboo. Where in a Christian church, it's treated as an abomination. As long as I don't have to reject Jesus as my Savior, I would have no problem going to a Spiritualist church. -And from what I have come to understand, I don't. They respect individuality, and people's personal paths. I plan on going there some for their classes. I will not separate from the church that my husband and I go to together, because I know he does not want to change at this time...and I don't want us to be divided.

mac
09-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Yes, I know they don't view Jesus as a Messiah. And I can totally understand your last statement about how some can find it unsettling, while others find it liberating. As for myself, what I find liberating is that they don't place certain spiritual gifts as taboo. Where in a Christian church, it's treated as an abomination. As long as I don't have to reject Jesus as my Savior, I would have no problem going to a Spiritualist church. -And from what I have come to understand, I don't. They respect individuality, and people's personal paths. I plan on going there some for their classes. I will not separate from the church that my husband and I go to together, because I know he does not want to change at this time...and I don't want us to be divided.

You're bang on right on these important issues. You are welcome to hold whatever mainstream beliefs you choose and still be welcomed into a Modern Spiritualist church or center.

Mediumship - abhorred by the Christian church despite Jesus being a highly accomplished physical medium (and teacher and healer!) - is the staple of Spiritualism's message of survival and the demonstration of it through evidential mediumship.

I wish you all good fortune in finding a broadening of your understanding inside the Spiritualist center you visit.

I hope you will stay on these forum pages to tell us how things are going for you. :hug3:

Katiecat
09-11-2010, 08:44 PM
That is what I don't get about Christian churches....they say that we must strive to be like Christ, but forbid us to do the things he did! I don't get it.

I also don't understand why in the OT, scriptures like Deuteronomy 18 forbid visits to mediums and psychics and deem it an abomination...when Christ himself did these things...Isn't that exactly what the Three Wise Men were? These are contradictions that severely bother me. And when I ask a devout Christian these things, they are normally speechless and need to pick their chins up off the floor. Some tell me that I should not ponder such things, and that it's the devil tempting me. But I disagree. I think that all Christians should be asking these questions.

Katiecat
09-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Oh, btw, thanks for the welcome. I think I will stick around. :-)

mac
09-11-2010, 11:06 PM
That is what I don't get about Christian churches....they say that we must strive to be like Christ, but forbid us to do the things he did! I don't get it.

I also don't understand why in the OT, scriptures like Deuteronomy 18 forbid visits to mediums and psychics and deem it an abomination...when Christ himself did these things...Isn't that exactly what the Three Wise Men were? These are contradictions that severely bother me. And when I ask a devout Christian these things, they are normally speechless and need to pick their chins up off the floor. Some tell me that I should not ponder such things, and that it's the devil tempting me. But I disagree. I think that all Christians should be asking these questions.

I don't see why anyone would choose to be a Christian if they have such fundamental concerns about its teachings.....

Alternatives are readily available without such concerns.

It's down to choice - nobody has to go down any path which doesn't ring true for them.

mac
09-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Oh, btw, thanks for the welcome. I think I will stick around. :-)

I hope you'll also contribute if it's where you decide you want to be?

becomingshaman
10-11-2010, 12:29 AM
I was raised a very strong Christian, and have been one for most of my adult life. In the past few years, I've been asking a lot of questions about the Christian faith. I don't have answers...but I feel okay asking the questions. My background is very conservative, so a fear of Hell makes it really hard to even think about asking questions, you know?

Anyway, I am sympathetic with those who identify as Christians but who lean towards spiritual things outside the "approved" kind.

Lovely
10-11-2010, 12:34 AM
I was raised this way. I have had many spiritual experiences for as long
as I can remember and my mom read many books on the subject. I also
have a family friend who does too and they both talked about the
subject with me.

mac
10-11-2010, 07:35 PM
As a polite reminder, this is the 'Spiritualism' forum which is not just spirituality or, quote: "spiritual experiences", "spiritual things", "Christianity" etc.

Other forums appropriate for discussing Christianity and general spirituality, spiritual progression etc. are readily available on this wonderful SF website.

Katiecat
11-11-2010, 01:08 PM
I've been reading about Spiritualism, and beliefs on a specific church's website, that seems to offer more than the other websites that I have seen...and I have taken notes. I really like what I am reading, and it resonates very well with me. If anyone is interested in checking out this website, the addy is: http://www.fst.org/ The side bar has Topics...and when you click on certain ones, even more topics come up. It does have that Christian slant, that mac mentions. I actually think I'm starting to see the "big picture," and am putting some of the ideas I was raised with in proper perspective.

autumnchilde
11-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Hi all, Im a spiritualist, I felt a pull to them about a two years ago during the dreg ends of a relationship I felt a tremendous urge to visit a psychic and saw one a mind, body spirit faire the entire time thinking I was being so stupid for going. In fact I almost walked out but I suddenly took the plunge and saw her, had an amazing reading. Suddenly I felt like I could see what was really going on and found myself searching spiritualism on the net found a nearby church and went to a sunday service. almost a year has gone by and im still going most sundays, love going, hardlly get a reading but I find comfort and relaxation and a sense of calm there. Love the services, hate the singing (why are hymns always in such a high key...lol).

glenos
14-11-2010, 09:28 PM
The hymns... dire sometimes too aren't they. I wanna say oi, where's the uplifting ones.lol

Katiecat
14-11-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm hoping to have enough gas money to attend the Tuesday class at the Spiritualist church I went to last Saturday.

glenos
15-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Hi K. Lets hope you get the gas money!
I'm not too sure as to how many Spiritualist churches there are near you but in the UK there's dozens and dozens. If you win the Lotto get yourself over here. You could do a different one every night :0)

G

mac
15-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi K. Lets hope you get the gas money!
I'm not too sure as to how many Spiritualist churches there are near you but in the UK there's dozens and dozens. If you win the Lotto get yourself over here. You could do a different one every night :0)

G

They're pretty sparse in the USA. A problem for anyone trying to visit one.

Curious when Modern Spiritualism has its roots in Hydesville, NY....:confused:

glenos
15-11-2010, 09:29 AM
When I spent a lot of time in Nashville I searched and searched and couldn't find one. Yes, Hydesville, I have been recently Googling it.

mac
15-11-2010, 09:47 AM
When I spent a lot of time in Nashville I searched and searched and couldn't find one. Yes, Hydesville, I have been recently Googling it.
Some while ago I planned to visit the US churches to compare us and them but the few I located weren't near the places we were travelling.

At the very beginning of the trip, though, I did find one close by in Florida which was in a traditional, prefabricated strip-mall building. Great atmosphere, lovely people and I was given clear evidence which was years later confirmed back in the UK.

Shame the US has so few of ours but far too many mainstream ones....:icon_frown:

glenos
15-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Go down any Nashville main street and there will be literally dozens of "normal" churches. All very nicely built and tended to with lovely lawns. Come Sunday many of the carparks would be packed and you know in a funny way I liked it. Ok so not our style as such but at least all these people worshipping the GWS. And all of the recordings of bells ringing out.. if only they were Spiritualst churches (oh boy)

mac
15-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Go down any Nashville main street and there will be literally dozens of "normal" churches. All very nicely built and tended to with lovely lawns. Come Sunday many of the carparks would be packed and you know in a funny way I liked it. Ok so not our style as such but at least all these people worshipping the GWS. And all of the recordings of bells ringing out.. if only they were Spiritualst churches (oh boy)
I do know what you mean...

In many US towns, Sunday morning is the quiet time on the roads and in the shops - folks are in church and, as you say, the parking lots are near full.

Following the services - often two of them during the morning - there's a pot-luck brunch which is something I've not heard of anywhere in the UK.

It's nice, communal and friendly and I like that part even though I don't care for the religious 'stuff' that goes on....:icon_frown:

By midday Wal Mart is busy, as are McDonald's, Wendys, Burger King, Sonic, Carl's Jnr. et al as folks resume normal life but in their Sunday best clothes. Yuh don't see that over here! :D

Would that we could generate a similar community spirit in the UK's Spiritualist churches. Maybe we could reach new congregations through their bellies by introducing pot-luck brunch? :wink:

More ways of skinning a cat than one, eh? :D

deepsea
15-11-2010, 04:21 PM
I found the same in MacKay,Qld,Oz when i was living out there.
Nary a spiritualist church in sight.
Mind,Mackay is a small country town and not much of anything at all.:D
Now Brisbane where I lived years ago,was so different,spirit churches all over the place.
Luckily where I live now,back in the UK,the church is down round the corner from I live,walking distance!
Arn't I lucky?
:wink:
Deepsea

mac
15-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I found the same in MacKay,Qld,Oz when i was living out there.
Nary a spiritualist church in sight.
Mind,Mackay is a small country town and not much of anything at all.:D
Now Brisbane where I lived years ago,was so different,spirit churches all over the place.
Luckily where I live now,back in the UK,the church is down round the corner from I live,walking distance!
Arn't I lucky?
:wink:
Deepsea

Lucky in so many ways, J. :wink:

Katiecat
15-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Speaking of pot-lucks....the Spiritualist church that I visited has a potluck every 5th Sunday of the month....when there are 5, of course. And the first Sunday of the month is "bring a friend to church" day.

deepsea
15-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Good idea,Katiecat.
We are always encouraged to bring friends to our church.
lovely happy atmosphere there always.

mac
15-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Speaking of pot-lucks....the Spiritualist church that I visited has a potluck every 5th Sunday of the month....when there are 5, of course. And the first Sunday of the month is "bring a friend to church" day.

Our committees in the UK might like this idea - over to you church people in the UK!

glenos
15-11-2010, 05:56 PM
A pot-luck brunch sounds good. Have any of you guys been to the 'Good Friday Rally' of Spiritualist churches? That's a goodun', people from all over, coach loads of 'em.
Sonics.. oh yeah, onion rings to die for if I remember.
Oz, I have a couple of good buddies from SF who live there. A place I'd love to go. Attending a Service in a foreign land, now that would be good. I wouldn't mind visiting a 'Spiritist' church in say South America. That might be a bit interesting.

Tricia
15-11-2010, 06:08 PM
A pot-luck brunch sounds good. Have any of you guys been to the 'Good Friday Rally' of Spiritualist churches? That's a goodun', people from all over, coach loads of 'em.
Sonics.. oh yeah, onion rings to die for if I remember.
Oz, I have a couple of good buddies from SF who live there. A place I'd love to go. Attending a Service in a foreign land, now that would be good. I wouldn't mind visiting a 'Spiritist' church in say South America. That might be a bit interesting.
'Good Friday Rallies' yup I attended a few, years ago, mind you

glenos
15-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Great stuff T. People everywhere, and singing their heads off in the service.

deepsea
08-02-2011, 06:33 AM
I've come back to this topic because I am starting to lose faith in spirituality.
I still believe but but in different ways now.

I have been told that if we ask for help from spirit,they will help but I haven't found that so.

Am I right or am I wrong?

Deepsea

Native spirit
08-02-2011, 12:07 PM
:hug: Hey Deepsea.

Spirit have a way of giving us what we need not always what we want, it can feel like nothing happens at times, ut remember time means nothing in spirit what seems like months to us could be hours to them, time means nothing so it can seem as though they are not listening but they do,

Namaste

Breezy
11-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Deepsea,

Sometimes what we want isn't for our highest good, so we won't recieve. I find it is imperitive to be explicit with asking. I had a client who asked for a car, she was mad that it wasn't her dream car. She didn't ask for her dream car, she asked for 'a car'.

I've not been to a SC in a very long time. I'm going for Sunday service. If you read my post under 'astro-projection' you'll know why. Kinda need to protect my sanity right now, and who better than like minded people!

Blessing to you all,
Breezy

Orbie
05-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Deepsea, hope all goes better now for you x

Soul Mentor
26-05-2011, 05:43 AM
Hiya All,

Am a spiritualist and have been born with it.......In mah childhood days I had been a very accurate predictor of things and I had visions in my dream time.........I was always so attracted to the supreme power and I'm not at all a believer in religions.......I think it divides mankind.....

Currently have found my mooring and m now into healing and meditations...I have started writting guided meditations as my Master, my Guru, my Archangels, gurdian angels are all pushing me to it.......Looking forward to add much more knowledge in the coming years........

I had a initial difficulty in getting into this arena as I had to leave my lucrative job......but all is settled now as I have a very supportive family & my hubby is my soul mate.......

Love & Light.....

Soul Mentor

NiteOwl
26-05-2011, 07:07 AM
I am spiritual. I have been all my life. My mother tried to get us 3 kids into church. I remember even as a child, not feeling comfortable in a church. I'd much prefer to study and memorize stones and wicca spells.

I always knew there was "more" and the answer I needed wasn't going to be in a book, I was going to need a teacher. I know the textbook defifintion of every thing there is to know about chackras, mediatations, auras, etc...but spiritual work isn't just a profession, it's a life style for me.

It's helped me manage my bouts of depression and kick my creative nature in to a career! My mother may have started out wanting us in church every Sunday, but she too, enentually grew in to a beautiful spiritual teacher for myself and others. She encouraged me to read about different religions, talk about my "feelings" and senses about people, and even bought me my first quartz crysal.

Now that I have a spiritual teacher and am being trained professionally, this transition is the narliest (sp? lol) and most transformative of them all. This one is "the one" if that makes sense to some.

I'm so happy to be in a space that I am brave enough to face my demons and clear all that "gunk" out of my space. Finding and developing my spirituality is the one thing that is mine and I hold it so close to me.

I can't wait to see what's around the corner!

no_thing
27-05-2011, 07:12 AM
omg

what is spiritual?

i am new and i have to ask this question because i think it is far overblown than necessary

Mystique Enigma
01-06-2011, 03:27 PM
omg

what is spiritual?

i am new and i have to ask this question because i think it is far overblown than necessary

Thinking is not spiritual. Seems it is more human ..... :)

Lisa
01-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Thinking is not spiritual. Seems it is more human ..... :)

Good point. :smile:

arto
04-06-2011, 04:39 AM
omg

what is spiritual?

To me, spiritualism, is a shared inclination to believe a certain few ideas. Spiritualists are the only ppl who appear to define a group of ppl who share my similar mind set, belief system. Which is contrary in its own right because its more about the things we believe but are free to change our opinions on and evolve through as we progress.

Every religion calls itself spiritual, and its true they can be and often are about enlightenment etc... However to me, by definition, "Spiritualists" are almost a sect of like minded counterparts. And I am one, who has faith in the universe and its amazing, spellbinding infinity...power, divine beauty and balance.

mac
04-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Spiritualism - under this forum title, itself under the umbrella of 'Religions and Faiths' - relates to the philosophy and teachings of Modern Spiritualism. That is a registered, officially recognised religion in the UK.

The words or terms 'spiritualism' (common noun, lower case 's') is a catch-all one which encompasses anything to do with spirituality or being spiritual.

Spiritualism, or more accurately Modern Spiritualism - http://www.snu.org.uk/Spiritualism/history.htm (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .snu.org.uk%252FSpiritualism%252Fhistory.htm) - is highly specific and not something that applies to just anything spiritual - whatever it's thought that 'spiritual' means.....

deepsea
09-06-2011, 02:42 PM
I was following this topic but lost track now.
What are we discussing,spirituality or spiritualism?
Just too lazy to read right back to the beginning.

:D
deepsea

Mystique Enigma
22-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Dont bother, all you will find is words :p

I was following this topic but lost track now.
What are we discussing,spirituality or spiritualism?
Just too lazy to read right back to the beginning.

:D
deepsea

LightFilledHeart
22-06-2011, 02:59 PM
What exactly is a spiritualist, by definition?

mac
22-06-2011, 05:41 PM
What exactly is a spiritualist, by definition?
You can't exactly define a Spiritualist (as per forum title Spiritualism, under 'Religion and Faiths')

But the principle that it's someone who understands there's life beyond corporeal death and also that sometimes, through mediumship, the ones who are no longer with us - 'dead' - may return to communicate their continued existence, kinda covers it.

For completeness, here's one definition of Spiritualism though it may not much help a west coaster.....:wink:

"Modern Spiritualism (usually shortened to just Spiritualism) has its roots in Hydesville, New York, USA. Much historical information and comment is readily available online.

In the UK it is officially recognised as a legal religion with churches and ministers. Again, an online search will explain the background to this situation. In many other countries it is not treated in the same way.

The basis of Spiritualist philosophy is that all humans survive as individuals beyond physical death. Those who have passed on are usually termed spirits.

Spiritualism teaches that these individuals are still very much alive and active. Furthermore they retain their characters and characteristics, both of which can provide evidence of identity when they return to communicate with loved ones. Someone who helps facilitate this is known as a medium.

Providing evidence of survival through communication defines the primary role of a Spiritualist medium.

She or he acts as a ‘go-between’, someone able to hear the words from a spirit communicator ( clairaudience) or able to see and describe them (clairvoyance). Other forms of mediumship are also sometimes demonstrated. The medium tries to pass on as accurately as possible whatever they receive from the spirit communicator to the intended recipient.

Such communication can provide details of personality, names or places which are recognised, evidence showing that loved ones are still alive. It is a two-way process and the recipient of a message can pass on their own message or question.

It is frequently said that mediums are psychic but psychics are not necessarily mediums. Psychics may be aware of spirits, even able to communicate with them, but they may not provide the information which characterises evidential mediumship."

mac
22-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Dont bother, all you will find is words :p

In a discussion forum, what else would you expect to find?

photographic images, video, podcast?

WmBuzz71
30-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Awakening on May 4. Since then

I fasted, started to eat healthy, discovering hidden talents, which comes to me in glimpses, urges of getting involved in the community.

Was always looking for answers, and felt I needed a teacher. I now know that we are own teachers, that's with the help of the spirit in within, of course.

My body changed from an out of shape 40yr old body, to a 20yr old looking fitness buff. I have an urge to master motion, energy, an balance. I practice every time I get.

It's about slowing down time, with breathing, slow movement, harnessing the resistance of gravity etc...

i have also a feeling that my wake up call has to do with Neptune returning home to Pisces. Giving me a glimpse of whats to come for next year.

I gotta stay humble in my thoughts and continuing of fighting my fears. Lots to learn and contribute. Opening up my world is a must.!!!

Love to all, peace and good luck on our Journeys, we all have one. :)

Achilles
14-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Theres plenty , its a spiritual website

mac
15-09-2011, 01:12 AM
Theres plenty , its a spiritual website

You don't understand what 'Spiritualists' are....

A 'Spiritualist' (you're in the forum Religions & Faiths, Spiritualism) is someone who subscribes to the philosophy, science and religion (in the UK) of Spiritualism.

mattie
15-09-2011, 03:07 AM
Spiritualism is defined on my computer’s dictionary as, ‘monotheistic belief system or religion, postulating a belief in God but not an anthropomorphic one.’

‘Monotheism ... is the belief in the existence of one god,[1] as distinguished from polytheism, the belief in more than one god, and atheism, the absence of belief in any god. Monotheism is characteristic of the Baha'i Faith, Christianity, Druzism, Judaism, Islam, Samaritanism, Sikhism[2] and Zoroastrianism.’

‘pantheism ... a doctrine that identifies God with the universe, or regards the universe as a manifestation of God.’

mac
15-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Spiritualism is defined on my computer’s dictionary as, ‘monotheistic belief system or religion, postulating a belief in God but not an anthropomorphic one.’

‘Monotheism ... is the belief in the existence of one god,[1] as distinguished from polytheism, the belief in more than one god, and atheism, the absence of belief in any god. Monotheism is characteristic of the Baha'i Faith, Christianity, Druzism, Judaism, Islam, Samaritanism, Sikhism[2] and Zoroastrianism.’

‘pantheism ... a doctrine that identifies God with the universe, or regards the universe as a manifestation of God.’
Would that be your Funk and Wagnall's? :wink: :D

To save you pointlessly expending mental energy next time, just trust little mac about Modern Spiritualism, would you?

Most of us can use dictionaries, you know, but actually understanding what you're talking about is far more meaningful in this instance....

When you've learned something about this topic that mac doesn't know then you'll be able to come and explain it all....

Orbie
15-09-2011, 08:34 AM
A troll or not a troll that is the question.....

Shining Star
25-09-2011, 01:12 AM
just wodered and what 'got you into it' for want of a better phrase,were you brought up with it or are you just discovering it??

I am a 3rd generation Spiritualist :hug3:

Serenity Bear
26-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Mattie

It continues to amaze me that some call themselves Spiritualist when they dont know what the religion etc is.

Google the fox sisters, hydesville, etc etc.

Spiritualism is a recognised religion that started on 31 March 1848, anything else isnt Spiritualism, but spirituality.

primrose
27-09-2011, 05:49 AM
I consider myself a Spiritualist, I used to go to a Spiritualist Church on Sunday evenings. It's been a few years now since I've gone to any Church. I got interested in this after a medium came to me and said she had a message from my grandmother with some information for me, it turned out to be right on.I did'nt know this medium it was in a public place she said she felt compelled to approach me.

glenos
27-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Yep, me too. I was on my local church committee at 18. I'm 55 now (ouch)

G

mattie
27-09-2011, 07:34 AM
... I wrote an article and made a diary about my beliefs for BBC Faith website - have a look if you get a chance and are interested.

The link would be useful.

mattie
27-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Would that be your Funk and Wagnall's? ...

New Oxford American Dictionary

LOL about your concern about my mental energy expenditure. At the risk of expending mental energy, I'm wondering how you expect that I would determine that I've learned more than you know??? Perhaps you should PM me everything you know about these subjects so I will have a point of reference!!!

It's fairly obvious that the 3 definitions I noted were not any attempt to explain anything, just posting a standardized meaning. I assumed this was fairly evident, but apparantly not.

Serenity Bear
27-09-2011, 11:08 AM
This the wikiepdia on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritualism

Shining Star
27-09-2011, 01:42 PM
I was born into Spiritualism, as was my mother and her mother before her. I have long since left the clutches of the Spiritualist National Union, however the SNU may be of some help here in their definition of Spiritualism...

SNU Spiritualism
Spiritualism is a religion that gives an understanding of God and encourages us to act with a high sense of duty towards others. Spiritualism stimulates spiritual growth and prepares us for eternal existence in the spirit-world.

Spiritualism is a science because it is based upon proven facts that can be demonstrated and scientifically classified. Spiritualism is the science of life as it encourages the search for truth in every department of existence, in nature and in human psychology.

Spiritualism is a philosophy that attempts to understand people, their physical, intellectual, moral, and spiritual being. As Spirit is the moving force of the Universe, so Spiritualist philosophy embraces the whole realm of nature.

(These words are based upon a chapter entitled 'The Nature of Spiritualism.'
from the Spiritualists' Lyceum Manual)

Love & Blessings to you all, my family :hug3:

mac
27-09-2011, 01:44 PM
"I have long since left the clutches of the Spiritualist National Union, however the SNU may be of some help here in their definition of Spiritualism."

amen to that :wink:

Shining Star
27-09-2011, 01:51 PM
"I have long since left the clutches of the Spiritualist National Union, however the SNU may be of some help here in their definition of Spiritualism."

amen to that :wink:

:D :hug3: :D

emalie
01-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Hi,

I"ve just joined. Browsing the forums, I saw this one for Spiritualists. I've been a Spirtualist for about 30 years but I'd have to say that I think that my spiritual feeling and thinking extends now beyond any church-borne dogma. I'm more interested in spirituality than psychic work, for example.

I think that too many see Spiritualism as a venue only for psychic work and not for spiritual sharing.

Nice to meet you,

emalie

Shining Star
01-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Hi,

I"ve just joined. Browsing the forums, I saw this one for Spiritualists. I've been a Spirtualist for about 30 years but I'd have to say that I think that my spiritual feeling and thinking extends now beyond any church-borne dogma. I'm more interested in spirituality than psychic work, for example.

I think that too many see Spiritualism as a venue only for psychic work and not for spiritual sharing.

Nice to meet you,

emalie

First of all.... Welcome Emalie :hug3: I totally agree with what you are saying.... I first read on the platform when I was 10 years old... I have attended many churches but do feel that Spiritualism should lose the 'ism' and get back to being 'spiritual' :hug3:

emalie
10-10-2011, 01:24 AM
First of all.... Welcome Emalie :hug3: I totally agree with what you are saying.... I first read on the platform when I was 10 years old... I have attended many churches but do feel that Spiritualism should lose the 'ism' and get back to being 'spiritual' :hug3:
Thank you for the welcome :smile:

" I have attended many churches but do feel that Spiritualism should lose the 'ism' and get back to being 'spiritual'"

I couldn't agree more, but I can't see it happening though. I think the push for spirituality resides outside of churches.

emalie

Patangel
10-10-2011, 02:24 AM
I was always aware of Spiritualism since I can remember-not as an organised religion but basically all aspects of it.

Mainly because my mother and her sister were believers in the afterlife and spirit guides and so on and spoke quite openly about it as though it was normal.

Discovering a formalised religion was a basic progression for me as I like the discipline which is only about developing abilities without all the rules etc.

I've found many others were brought up as Catholics..anyone eles find that?

mac
10-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Hi,

Nice to meet you,

emalie

As a formerly regular contributor I've often pointed out that (Modern) Spiritualism isn't simply the churches - I consider I'm a staunch Spiritualist but rarely attend church. It soon became redundant to my personal needs although I support and recommend them to new seekers of information.

The psychic vs. spiritual aspects I've written about repeatedly and routinely both here and elsewhere. Sadly there's still as much confusion expressed online now as there used to be....as I judge the situation.

Maybe those who aren't confused simply don't write about it?

mac
10-10-2011, 08:04 AM
"I think that too many see Spiritualism as a venue only for psychic work and not for spiritual sharing."

It doesn't help any that the former flagship publication for Spiritualists was Psychic News.

Postings about 'spiritualism' rather than 'Spiritualism' is a common occurrence, often with very specific points about 'spiritualism' being raised which have absolutely nothing with the fundamentals of Spiritualism. (a point I made in my earlier posting).

So exactly what is "spiritual sharing"?

Left Behind
25-10-2011, 04:52 AM
I'm banging the same drum I always bang - this forum is for discussions about 'Spiritualism' - I have a sticky posting explaining this philosophy and religion at the beginning of the forum. Please take a look. Discussions on general spirituality do not really belong in the 'Spiritualism' forum - suitable forums are available and appropriate.

You're right, Mac. I'm not s Spiritualist, and don't profess to know much about the subject: but just from reading the Thread headings in this sub-Forum, it's obvious that people are equating Spiritualism with Spirituality.

Where is this Sticky of yours? I couldn't find it.

Jim

mac
25-10-2011, 07:28 PM
You're right, Mac. I'm not s Spiritualist, and don't profess to know much about the subject: but just from reading the Thread headings in this sub-Forum, it's obvious that people are equating Spiritualism with Spirituality.

Where is this Sticky of yours? I couldn't find it.

Jim

I guess you found that earlier posting in an old thread? The 'Sticky' disappeared a long time ago when the website underwent some changes - I wasn't asked to submit another piece although I'm fairly sure I did offer.

Yes you're bang on right about spirituality and Spiritualism. I've grown weary of constant battling to separate them and nowadays I spend less effort trying.

Charlies Angel
25-10-2011, 08:17 PM
I was raised a protestant Christian, but within the last 5-6 years my parents have discovered they have certain talents. My mother is a medium in training now and my father is now a healer. They started attending a local spiritualist church and they told me about the religion and the people they'd helped and everything they said just clicked with me. I'd never been a very good Christian. I was always a very good human being, but I didn't believe in a lot of what the bible said, but everything they told me about spirit and the afterlife, just seemed so real to me. It was like for the first time I realised that I belonged in this faith.

I still believe in some aspects of Christianity, but I consider myself as a spiritualist or spiritualist christian.

Tabitha
25-10-2011, 10:49 PM
I don't classify myself as belonging to any particular faith just now, but I felt prompted to read a bit about matters relating to spirits, the afterlife and suchlike after experiencing several years of unexplained activity in my house. (I'm not sure if it was/is a spirit or not, and am still trying to make sense of it.) I like what Spiritualists have to say about what happens when we die. It makes the most sense to me, and I sincerely hope it is true. I was brought up Catholic, incidentally.

glenos
26-10-2011, 06:37 AM
Read the Silver Birch books and be left in no doubt.

G

Tabitha
26-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Read the Silver Birch books and be left in no doubt.

G

Oh yes, but the fundies will tell me that all that's just "evil spirits" trying to deceive us, won't they? :confused:

I so want to believe it, I really do.

glenos
26-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Why listen to the loons? Seek and you'll find all the evidence that you need. Then belief won't come into it...

G

mac
27-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Oh yes, but the fundies will tell me that all that's just "evil spirits" trying to deceive us, won't they? :confused:

I so want to believe it, I really do.
As G tells you, Tabitha, look at the evidence and think it through for yourself.

I don't believe any part of what you're wanting to believe - from what I've learned I understand the situation. I don't do belief. You can do the same should you choose.

As for "...."evil spirits" trying to deceive us...." you'll be able to judge for yourself. Silver Birch, along with others, teaches love, caring and service. He also taught that you should reject anything he says which offends your reason. His teachings expects nothing from anyone. He offers his words to anyone who chooses to listen and judge for her/himself.

Is that an evil spirit trying to deceive, do you think?