PDA

View Full Version : How do you love & appreciate love?

Perspective
24-01-2011, 04:55 AM
I believe the main purpose of life is to learn to love well.
I realize, like defining God, there are countless ways to define love.
Still, let's give each other some ideas! New perspectives!

How do you show love, or that you care?
How has love been expressed to you most meaningfully?

I will share more later, but let me just say that, loving posts on this forum have inspired this thread.
Sometimes it's not so much what is posted, but how it's posted.
I feel the love! :smile:

Ivy
24-01-2011, 06:35 AM
theres a generalised love...I love the earth, and walking, and talking and art, and sitting in quiet contemplation......and and and....

There is loving empathy....this is something we can feel for another even though we dont necessarily agree with them. Its perhaps the most misunderstood love, because it doesnt come with flowers and chocolates. It comes sometimes with a telling off, a blunt honesty, or silence to give another space. I guess its a feeling to give healing energy.

Theres friend and partner love - this is a selfish love (and theres nothing wrong with being selfish). Its something we show by giving others pleasure and recieve for our own pleasure. And even though there may be tough times in a relationship, we are still aiming towards finding the pleasure with that person again.

And theres distant love....when there is a connection or bond that links people over space and time and through the veil of death and into another life.

And then theres a combination of all lol...well thats my persperctives. But because there is such a vast array of feelings to call love, its a word that I dont tend to use, because I feel it has the potential to cause damage when misinterpreted.

Ciqala
24-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Loving the world like brothers. I'm going to write about a very tiny act of love that i felt, because i find those are the strongest.

One of the happiest times, i was just walking by a bus stop. A homeless man walked past me, whom i've always felt for, because he walks without ever looking anyone in the eye, and he never talks, some say he has no voice box, and people are terrified of him (they make stories of how he murdered his brother), and no one ever pays him the time of day. I observe people well, when i observe him, he looks afraid, like a scared timid wolf dog, walking hurriedly trying to dodge people, his face always turned down to the ground. I don't know why people fear him so much, because it is actually him, that fears them. he doesn't let people come close to him.
In the past, i always observed how he would make rounds down to the mall, to pick up dirty cigarette butts. That's all he would do, all day, scrounging for butts. So I decided to walk down to the store, buy two huge cigars, one for him, one for me. (i'm poor myself so it's all i could afford and i was sure he would love it) Problem was, the store was a long ways away, and he was a fast walker. So i used the law of attraction, and willed him to pass me when i got back, right in front of the bus stop where people were sitting.

To my surprise that was exactly what happened! Time worked to my advantage. We met each other at the same pace, in the same spot i had picked in my mind. He's a shy man. So all I did, was stop in front of him, simply hold out a huge cigar for him, without saying a word, and he had huge childish grin on his face, with the hugest happy eyes i have ever seen, his eyes met with mine for only five seconds and i could see such purity and love in his soul, and then he looked away shyly with a shy smile, and hobbled away without saying anything. He didn't have to say a word, and it was one of the most loving experiences i have ever had. It made my week. We have been buddies ever since, because i don't judge people, and i don't care if he doesn't talk. I've only ever heard him say one word in a whisper, "thank you".

An experience done to me, was by another homeless buddy of mine. I find homeless people are the most loving and down to earth people i have ever met. One night, i was feeling pretty down and depressed, when suddenly i got a call from my old homeless buddy, and the first things he says are concern for my tiny situation. And he was so caring about my situation, and wouldn't even let me ask how he was, until he was about to get off the phone. So i find out, his uncle died, and it's the middle of a winter snow storm, and he got kicked out of an illegal place he was renting, and is now camping in a tent, which has holes in it, and he's using the last of his money on a pay phone, just to see how i was doing. Sure made me feel like my situation was nothing compared to that. When i tried to give him sympathy, he only asked for my prayers. This guy is amazing! He is now living in a better place, doing much better now. He has rare allergies to pretty much everything, is usually down sick, and his life is intolerable, yet his heart is so filled with love, and he keeps on going, and caring. He is my main role model in life! I love my old buddy, even though i'm young, and he's considered a senior, we are the best of friends, we go to poetry readings and go drink tea. He is one of the most loving people i've ever come across, he is always kind, always caring about everyone.
i have thousands of more stories about love, but i'll save you from my horrendous writing write now.

Gem
24-01-2011, 08:10 AM
I believe the main purpose of life is to learn to love well.
I realize, like defining God, there are countless ways to define love.
Still, let's give each other some ideas! New perspectives!

I will share more later, but let me just say that, loving posts on this forum have inspired this thread.
Sometimes it's not so much what is posted, but how it's posted.
I feel the love! :smile:

I think be appreciative.

3dnow
24-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Regarding my experience, true love comes automatically with no effort. If that's not the case, there are probably some obstacles like fear.

3dnow

Perspective
24-01-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm so touched by your responses! Thank you! :hug3:

Heather,
There are a lot of different ways to feel & express love.
And I realize how important a foundation of self-love is... that makes all of the other love expressed or received more rich, yet not clinged to.

Ciquala,
Inspiring connections! I agree - some of the most spiritual & loving people I've met have been through hell, including homelessness.
How thoughtful for you to understand what would be meaningful to him & to do it!

Gem,
You have a great way of summing it up! Appreciation both ways!

3dnow,
Good point - how fear can be an obstacle. It's easy to see that in expressing love - you know, the fear of rejection.
But, maybe it goes both ways - fear of receiving too. Fear of getting attached & then getting hurt.

andrew g
24-01-2011, 04:24 PM

:smile:

Understanding, compassion, appreciation (which has already been said), gratitude, honesty. Forgiveness too I think.

Lisa
24-01-2011, 04:28 PM

I haven't killed anybody....... yet.

7luminaries
24-01-2011, 04:38 PM

I haven't killed anybody....... yet.

LOL!!! me either...and I know that sometimes, we are *sorely tempted* :D
Yes your restraint is a virture sister...coz I know it's HARD to hold back....
think I've bit my tongue off several times over, LOL...

per ciqala...I'd amend that to say first, all bros need to love ea other (sisters too)...and then all bros in spirit need to love each other...and then we can all love ea other like bros & sisters..

and by loving each other, like Lisa says...first, do no harm...if we all did that, we'd already be there. The rest is more of the same.

Peace :hug3:
7L

BlueSky
24-01-2011, 05:50 PM
theres a generalised love...I love the earth, and walking, and talking and art, and sitting in quiet contemplation......and and and....

There is loving empathy....this is something we can feel for another even though we dont necessarily agree with them. Its perhaps the most misunderstood love, because it doesnt come with flowers and chocolates. It comes sometimes with a telling off, a blunt honesty, or silence to give another space. I guess its a feeling to give healing energy.

Theres friend and partner love - this is a selfish love (and theres nothing wrong with being selfish). Its something we show by giving others pleasure and recieve for our own pleasure. And even though there may be tough times in a relationship, we are still aiming towards finding the pleasure with that person again.

And theres distant love....when there is a connection or bond that links people over space and time and through the veil of death and into another life.

And then theres a combination of all lol...well thats my persperctives. But because there is such a vast array of feelings to call love, its a word that I dont tend to use, because I feel it has the potential to cause damage when misinterpreted.

Very nice post.......:smile:
thank you for sharing that heather

Lisa
24-01-2011, 05:55 PM
LOL!!! me either...and I know that sometimes, we are *sorely tempted* :D
Yes your restraint is a virture sister...coz I know it's HARD to hold back....
think I've bit my tongue off several times over, LOL...

per ciqala...I'd amend that to say first, all bros need to love ea other (sisters too)...and then all bros in spirit need to love each other...and then we can all love ea other like bros & sisters..

and by loving each other, like Lisa says...first, do no harm...if we all did that, we'd already be there. The rest is more of the same.

Peace
7L

7L- you're such a bright light! :icon_flower:

I was really kidding- sort a :D

But I do like, "first, do no harm."

The question itself- How do you show love, or that you care?
doesn't work for me. I don't show it, it just IS and acts.
It has little to do with me.
Love and caring drag me around! lol

This is especially true for plants and animals.
If they're in need- the love and caring is there, regardless of personal considerations.

:icon_cat: :hug2:

BlueSky
24-01-2011, 06:00 PM

If they're in need- the love and caring is there, regardless of personal considerations.

As I sitting here thinking of how best to write my response.......you went and said it for me....exactly as i would have said it........Thanks lisa...........nice post.:smile:

7luminaries
24-01-2011, 06:34 PM

And then theres a combination of all lol...well thats my persperctives. But becausethere is such a vast array of feelings to call love, its a word that I dont tend to use, because I feel it has the potential to cause damage when misinterpreted.

Yes...I agree love can transcend and include all of these...and yes...as you say...it's rare, transforming, inspiring, and amazing.

Love can be abt planet earth and all mankind, etc., and that love is necessary to our future as a species :smile: but unless we're keeping it in a general context like that...it's something we don't say to everyone, because on a personal level, it conveys a much more private and sacred aspect.

7luminaries
24-01-2011, 06:42 PM

Lisa :hug3:
I really like that you get past the mind...love is...just is...and the conscious aspect of actualising it is a completely separate thing. We are love, so we give love...it just flows...

And we can also consciously "do love"...but the more love there is flowing between you and another, the more love just is, no matter what.

Love as doing is really, often, I think more needed for the impersonal love of strangers...the compassion in action. But love as being can also "do love" too...just don't have to think about it so much! Being there for someone is in many ways the most precious gift of all.

The more we just are love, the better we all are.

Ivy
24-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Very nice post.......:smile:
thank you for sharing that heather

You know what, whenever I feel like giving up on sharing over the internet...you come along and say something Ive written was worth writing lol...and then I have to consider why I want to walk away.

Perspective
24-01-2011, 10:59 PM
I guess I'll answer my own questions... lol

It seems that I most often show love by word.
I try to be positive & encouraging in emails, phone calls, etc.
I try to really listen to understand people - not always successful, but I try.
For those closest in my life, lots of hugs, tickles & massages.

To me, love is most meaningful when someone acts based on understanding & consideration.
Probably love is even more meaningful when it's so needed.
While I was in college, I foolishly spent all of my money & didn't have any groceries, except slit pea soup (just the sound of it oooh).
I became physically sick & mentally depressed. I had a huge fight with my roommates (one of which was on Oprah for being difficult to live with), one turned on me. I almost got kicked out of a very religiously strict college, of which I was about to graduate from. I moved out & just felt like I didn't have a friend in the world. But I did...
I still don't know how he knew to do this, but a friend of mine came by with some juice & cookies, rubbed my back & just hung out with me. It meant so much to me!

One Christmas, out of all of the gifts I received, one almost made me cry - just a simple keychain with a piano keyboard - but it showed consideration, since she knew how much I love to play piano.

I think there are many ways to express & appreciate love - & I'm trying to not be too picky. lol But, out of the 5 love languages (service, gifts, quality time, affection & words of affirmation) - I'd say quality time is most meaningful to me, which often translates to mutually listening & sharing.

I wonder which "love language" is most meaningful to you?

Saggi
27-01-2011, 10:22 AM
I don't think I know what 'love' is! Other than my love for my children, which I did automatically from the moment I conceived.

As for the rest of humanity, I'm not sure! I know it's a mixture of emotions and that every time I feel it's in my life it feels different!

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx

Perspective
31-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I don't think I know what 'love' is! Other than my love for my children, which I did automatically from the moment I conceived.

As for the rest of humanity, I'm not sure! I know it's a mixture of emotions and that every time I feel it's in my life it feels different!

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx I know what you mean, Jo.
There are so many different ways to relate, so different ways to love.
I just noticed that we tend to prefer or appreciate one type of affection over another.
Like some people like to receive gifts, & others like to just hang out.
I'm sure we all can appreciate different ways people express love - but usually there's one that resonates with us more.

lovingkind
31-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Love for me just happens...it is a feeling that I am comfortable sharing with anyone...as everyone needs love(animals also need love). Where there is love there is no fear. If fear is present then love is not. It is our choice to choose...love or fear.
The more love one has the more there is to give. Just think if everyone shared love there would be lots of love going around in the world...which is what the world needs.
The love I am talking about is unconditional acceptance, equanimity, consideration, support and just being there for someone.
I feel that my love language is quality time.

Perspective
08-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Love for me just happens...it is a feeling that I am comfortable sharing with anyone...as everyone needs love(animals also need love). Where there is love there is no fear. If fear is present then love is not. It is our choice to choose...love or fear.
The more love one has the more there is to give. Just think if everyone shared love there would be lots of love going around in the world...which is what the world needs.
The love I am talking about is unconditional acceptance, equanimity, consideration, support and just being there for someone.
I feel that my love language is quality time. Thanks for sharing that.
Quality time is most important to me too.
Yeah, I think love is based on understanding.

Blue Dragon
08-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Love is kindness. Be kind. Life will challenge this practice, and we will have to become more skilled at being kind within all of life's situations.

tainamom
09-02-2011, 10:51 PM

:smile:

From my experience, my human love is very limited. I find that many times I've wanted more love than someone else has been able to give and others have wanted more from me than I'm able to give. Even as a mother and wife, I get tired of giving my own limited human conditional love.

BUT, if I practice surrendering properly and continuously to receive and allow unconditional love and light from the Source itself to enter me and go through me, I can share that unconditional love and light with all beings, all events, in all existence as far as I am able to surrender it. All I do is smile sweetly to my heart, relax, enjoy and keep following the feeling of expansion outward.

And that's how I share best.