PDA

View Full Version : Will spritual deveopment lessen my drive to acheive?

kronen321
22-02-2016, 12:59 PM
I'll try and keep this as short as I can. I'm a 26 year old male, and since the age of 16 I've struggled with addiction issues. I've been sober since new year and I feel like I'm finally becoming my old self again.

I really want to make a living out of my music, I'm a talented musician and can play a range of instruments. I think throughout my years of addiction I used these instruments to deal with and express my emotions, that is why I'm so good. Now the fog of depression and addiction is lifting, my motivation, drive and ambition has returned and I realize now I am able and capable of living my dreams if I give them enough conscious attention. And this is where the problem arises when it comes do developing myself spiritually.

I have owned the book 'the presence process' by Micheal Brown for some years but never committed to the process itself, most likely because of my various addictions. It's a book that aims to bring you into the present by integrating your unconscious emotional responses embedded in you in childhood. A more hands on version of Eckhart Tolle's 'the power of now'.

What concerns me, is if I do take part in this process, and it does spiritually develop me and bring me more peace and joy, will I then loose the motivation to become a successful musician and loose some of the creativity within me, which I'm sure does come in part from the pain inside of me. I am sure on some level the reason I want to be on stage and play the guitar and sing is due to some kind of emotional distortion inside of me, and a lot of the songs I write are about connecting with others in this information age and how isolated we have become from one anther in the physical sense. I'm concerned if I raise my frequency to a point where I am content, happy and calm, I will not only lose the motivation to become a successful musician, but I will also loose the creative drive to express myself via the medium of music, as the emotional void inside of me will be to some extent filled.

I would really appreciate some input, I am keen to develop myself spiritually, but I've only just got the motivation and drive back that I've been searching for all these years, and I don't want to loose it again, even if it is replaced with inner joy, rather than addiction and depression.

Some of the best artists in the world have become greatly successful by expressing their inner turmoil via whichever artistic medium suited them, if they were happy, would they have been as good?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Baile
22-02-2016, 01:10 PM
What concerns me, is if I do take part in this process, and it does spiritually develop me and bring me more peace and joy, will I then loose the motivation to become a successful musician and loose some of the creativity within me, which I'm sure does come in part from the pain inside of me.Answer: No. I've been a spiritualist and musician since my teens, and I developed an alcohol addiction in my 20's. I went on to have a career in music. The one real issue is the addiction obviously, so it's good you're on top of that. Spirituality only heightened my creativity. It made what I did, that much more meaningful. But that's just my take, other people have meaningful experiences listening to Lady Gaga.

Somnia
22-02-2016, 02:07 PM
Hello Kitz, welcome to the forum! :)

I would think becoming more spiritually awakened might help you create your music in a brand new way. You may feel compelled to create music that reflects the peace and happiness in your life instead of the darkness. Music is a wonderful outlet for expressing your inner emotions. It seems like as you're healing you could still play music to reflect those pains as a way to help purge and cleanse your soul but try not to hold on to that darkness because it may hinder your spiritual growth.

Some of the best artists in the world have become greatly successful by expressing their inner turmoil via whichever artistic medium suited them, if they were happy, would they have been as good?

Absolutely! Think of the countless hit songs in the world that are so popular because the artist was in love with someone. :)

Thunder Bow
22-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Healing and inner joy will only enhance your music and creativity. Besides joyful music is better than music based on rage.

olhosdeamendoa
22-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Think about it this way: instead of sharing your dark and negative state of being, you'll start sharing your joy, happiness and in the process, helping other people awakening too. You'll inspire people to be themselves, to go for the life they want, to be truthful, loving, and happy. Maybe that is your life purpose!

Music has been something very important in my spiritual awakening and path. And it seems I'm always finding new musics that relate to what I am living in the present moment!

The world is awakening and having the opportunity to use your talents and gifts to help that is tremendous.

kronen321
22-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Maybe that is your life purpose!

The world is awakening and having the opportunity to use your talents and gifts to help that is tremendous.

I have wondered this if writing music is my life purpose, very interesting that you would reflect this intuition back to me. Thank you!

I think much of the world is awakening as well, and I would love for music to play a big part of this like it once did. If I wrote songs that connected to people on this level, surely that would be grounds for a successful career? I hope so...

I wonder how much of the awakening is due to the internet? The internet is a very powerful tool, and right now I can see it being used for both good and bad. Some use it to spread joy and peace, and others use it to spread fear and grief.

I would love for music to play the same role in peoples lives that it did in the 60s, when it was written by real musicians expressing themselves, instead of all the vapid, egotistical rubbish we see in the charts nowadays which is there for no other reason than to make money. So many people feel the same way, this generation is so lost, it needs someone or something to show them the way. They need someone to show them themselves in my opinion and show them how their online personas are nothing more than a reflection of their ego. Music would be an awesome medium to do this.

...getting back on topic: I guess the way to look at my issues and the effect of spiritually on my creativity and drive, is that the dark part of me will always be there for inspiration if I need it. I can always think back on how I felt, and I'm sure there will be times in the future when I feel a similar way, and can use the memory of these experiences to write music. Now I am moving into a more joyful place it just means I have a greater ranger of emotional states to draw inspiration from.

Thank you all so much for your responses, you have definitely made me consider taking part in the presence process to develop myself spiritually. I think I should write music about it as well as I am going through this experience.

More opinions and discussions would be greatly welcomed.

kronen321
22-02-2016, 11:16 PM
Music has been something very important in my spiritual awakening and path. And it seems I'm always finding new musics that relate to what I am living in the present moment!.

I definitely do the same thing! I also find myself watching films that have a particular resonance with whatever I am going through at that time.

All very interesting stuff....I've had so much synchronicity in my life since I stopped doing drugs it's actually been quite overwhelming, and frightening, at some points. I've surprised other people with all these bizarre coincidences that have been going on around me at the moment. My Christian friend is convinced it's god talking to me, which opens up a whole other topic of debate that I wasn't planning on going into on this thread!

O
23-02-2016, 12:14 AM
...What concerns me, is if I do take part in this process, and it does spiritually develop me and bring me more peace and joy, will I then loose the motivation to become a successful musician and loose some of the creativity within me, which I'm sure does come in part from the pain inside of me.

...Some of the best artists in the world have become greatly successful by expressing their inner turmoil via whichever artistic medium suited them, if they were happy, would they have been as good?

...I think much of the world is awakening as well, and I would love for music to play a big part of this like it once did. If I wrote songs that connected to people on this level, surely that would be grounds for a successful career? I hope so!

...I would love for music to play the same role in peoples lives that it did in the 60s, when it was written by real musicians expressing themselves,...

... it needs someone or something to show them the way. They need someone to show them themselves in my opinion and show them how their online personas are nothing more than a reflection of their ego. Music would be an awesome medium to do this,...

I guess one other way to look at is that dark part of me, that is now thankfully in the past, will always be there for inspiration if I need it. I can always think back on how I felt, and I'm sure there will be times in the future when I feel a similar way, and can use the memory of these experiences to write music. Now I am moving into a more joyful place it just means I have a greater ranger of emotional states to draw inspiration from.

I think I should write music about it as well as I am going through this experience.

Read through your comments above. You will see that you answered your own questions. :wink: :smile:

firstandlast
23-02-2016, 12:59 AM
Okay--

Here is the deal--
Do what you do; because if you are going to deal with something like you are asking, you cannot avoid it-- This is not some dead process, and if you are going to reach that which is truly looked for, that thing will come looking for you, and it would already be doing so in some subtle fashion--

Otherwise, you can dabble into all the symbolic flavors of life you want to and try to keep it positive, tis cool--

However for me this occurred--

"Ambition has been transmuted into aspiration; and that impulse which, unregenerated, lures men on to temporal destruction, is now the force which bestows courage upon spiritual enterprise."

Now, the ambition aspect was given back to me; but so potent is my aspiration to the role set before me; so clear it is in my mind, that I can only wait till the proper time-- So I am just.. here--

naturesflow
23-02-2016, 01:13 AM
Answer: No. I've been a spiritualist and musician since my teens, and I developed an alcohol addiction in my 20's. I went on to have a career in music. The one real issue is the addiction obviously, so it's good you're on top of that. Spirituality only heightened my creativity. It made what I did, that much more meaningful. But that's just my take, other people have meaningful experiences listening to Lady Gaga.

Yeah when she did bowie tribute, she made me do a head turn and take notice of her..

naturesflow
23-02-2016, 01:14 AM
I'll try and keep this as short as I can. I'm a 26 year old male, and since the age of 16 I've struggled with addiction issues. I've been sober since new year and I feel like I'm finally becoming my old self again.

I really want to make a living out of my music, I'm a talented musician and can play a range of instruments. I think throughout my years of addiction I used these instruments to deal with and express my emotions, that is why I'm so good. Now the fog of depression and addiction is lifting, my motivation, drive and ambition has returned and I realize now I am able and capable of living my dreams if I give them enough conscious attention. And this is where the problem arises when it comes do developing myself spiritually.

I have owned the book 'the presence process' by Micheal Brown for some years but never committed to the process itself, most likely because of my various addictions. It's a book that aims to bring you into the present by integrating your unconscious emotional responses embedded in you in childhood. A more hands on version of Eckhart Tolle's 'the power of now'.

What concerns me, is if I do take part in this process, and it does spiritually develop me and bring me more peace and joy, will I then loose the motivation to become a successful musician and loose some of the creativity within me, which I'm sure does come in part from the pain inside of me. I am sure on some level the reason I want to be on stage and play the guitar and sing is due to some kind of emotional distortion inside of me, and a lot of the songs I write are about connecting with others in this information age and how isolated we have become from one anther in the physical sense. I'm concerned if I raise my frequency to a point where I am content, happy and calm, I will not only lose the motivation to become a successful musician, but I will also loose the creative drive to express myself via the medium of music, as the emotional void inside of me will be to some extent filled.

I would really appreciate some input, I am keen to develop myself spiritually, but I've only just got the motivation and drive back that I've been searching for all these years, and I don't want to loose it again, even if it is replaced with inner joy, rather than addiction and depression.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Have it all if you want. There is no limit to creation and experience as long as your willing to put yourself in it all and use it all as you need. :) pain is pain and if you have lived it you don't lose the creation you can create from that experience. Joy is joy and if your joyful doing it then you get the best of both worlds.

I am at peace now and in joy of being myself, but I can go down to the dark arena and create if I want too.

My understanding and experience walking through it allows me to be open to it all.

Humans can sometimes think we lose what we are, we let go of what no longer holds us back from creating with more depth and understanding of what we have grown through.

This also allows for understanding others pain so then you can create through that means too.

Infinite ways and means of being and creating..

kronen321
24-02-2016, 01:56 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies. It does seem that I've answered my own questions....I guess I was just looking for some reassurance.

I'm glad to have found a community where I can share the experiences I will have whilst developing my spirituality.

I look forward to interacting with you all again in the future :smile:.

Jyotir
24-02-2016, 02:29 PM
Hi kronen321,

Will spritual deveopment lessen my drive to acheive? Etc...

It depends on what you want...
But sounds like,

Like many here at SF, you are in a transition. So, there are mixed elements present, and that is why there is some confusion as the newer paradigm emerges - not just in the art proper, but in the life in general, and in spiritual life proper. It’s a question many creative types have as they transition into spiritual life, which in many cases comes directly out of the conventionally creative life. And it is therefore also a concern as the purpose of that creativity is transformed and motives therefore may come into question..

What happens is that ambition, i.e., ‘drive to achieve’ which is ego/personality based becomes gradually converted into an ongoing progression of increased surrender to the Divine Will. Among other factors, this may or may not lead necessarily to material or career ‘success’ as normally, socially, or professionally defined - but at the same time, it may become infinitely more satisfying. Success external is converted to progress internal, and it is quite possible that art could be a vehicle for that.

But the same principle of becoming confluent with the ‘creative force’ as ‘co-creator’, in channeling whatever form of art - gradually becomes more comprehensive to the life in general as spiritual orientation becomes more prominent - in seeking deeper, broader, higher significance.

Yet, that same principle is often practiced first as a prototype in and through some specific creative expression, some art-form, as the acquisition of intuition, as conscious deliberate confluence with ‘higher’ creativity, etc., and this is why the arts (sciences as well) are frequently the fertile field where many awaken to fuller spiritual seeking.

As you know, one of the big features of creative life is the necessity to surrender to, and trust the ‘unknown’ as part of the creative process - jamming with Spirit; developing and trusting intuition - to bring into the world and manifest what was previously unknown…something new. This is for many a transition to spirituality and involves a highly circumscribed practice, applied to the specific ‘art-form’. It’s a model by example of that which, in the true full spiritual surrender, is much more comprehensive to the life and involves eventually all aspects of the life, every thought and action - but in creativity the focus of that principle is necessarily narrowed in focus.

Because it is transitional in the way described, the creative impulse at this stage is also often mixed with a strong residual ‘personal’ ambition for success and recognition, whereas the trend in spiritual life, as part of a confluence with Spirit is necessarily an increasing impersonality as surrender to the divine will becomes more prominent. This is the origin of your question and source of your concern.. iow, the fulfillment of ego drives, personal ambition, objective achievement begins to fade as the more comprehensive confluence with the divine will emerges.

And it also depends on one’s response to that possibility as well. Many people waver and oscillate between the two as part of a narrowing of focus over a period of many years or apparently, even many lives.

It’s a natural transition. But because the art form becomes subsumed into the greater form of the life in general, the focus becomes more comprehensive, more subjective, less objective - it seems as though the artist is losing touch with what was the previous all-consuming motivation, or obsession, or attachment - to: ‘my art’ as the main organising principle, the primary focus, the center of 'my universe'. Likewise, observe that so many great artists of the past had abysmally dysfunctional lives in almost all other dimensions of experience - because of that artificially narrow focus. But, for spiritual seekers in the current age, and increasingly so....

What happens is that spiritually, life itself becomes the art.

Its not that one has to give up art/creativity, but it becomes part of a larger deeper, more comprehensive picture and some people are uncomfortable with this new and unfamiliar territory. Yet that’s not to say that Spirit doesn’t or won’t allow one to be or become a professional artist - one has to offer some service and it may be that art satisfies that possibility. But the major point is that Spirit has to determine this, and then that will has to be received and accepted - surrendered to - by the individual instrumental being, the person, you.

Whether the professional role is the case, or the art-form is maintained as a hobby or ‘diversion’ - it is also necessarily the case, that as the life-focus becomes ‘more spiritual’, so too does the art. The reason this happens is that art, real art, is the mediation into the physical, of universal truth, and so if the search for universal truth in general is applied to the life, it will only follow that this will manifest in the applied art as well. Otherwise the so-called ‘art’ could simply be the manifestation of various types of consciousness, ambitiously produced for all kinds of reasons - and indeed, this is what we see in the broader ‘marketplace’ regarding all of the arts. Some are spiritually satisfying, timeless, universal (rare) - many are not! It’s an evolution - both personal and collective - the latter subsuming all individual achievement good, bad, and ugly - or transcendent.

So art could be the vehicle of a spiritual search, but it’s a unique personal determination as every facet of life is, once one is awakened.

~ J