PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Yokai?

fox22
03-02-2016, 06:34 AM
What are your thoughts on these myths and folklore. .

Yōkai (妖怪?, ghost, phantom, strange apparition) are a class of supernatural monsters and spirits in Japanese folklore. The word yōkai is made up of the kanji for "bewitching; attractive; calamity" and "apparition; mystery; suspicious".[1] They can also be called ayakashi (妖?), mononoke (物の怪?), or mamono (魔物?). Yōkai range eclectically from the malevolent to the mischievous, or occasionally bring good fortune to those who encounter them. Often they possess animal features (such as the Kappa, which is similar to a turtle, or the Tengu which has wings), other times they can appear mostly human, some look like inanimate objects and others have no discernible shape. Yōkai usually have a spiritual supernatural power, with shapeshifting being one of the most common. Yōkai that have the ability to shapeshift are called obake.
(wikipedia :D)

Somnia
19-03-2016, 04:18 AM
I have an interest in Japanese folklore/mythology and their culture...

I gravitate towards the Japanese legends of the kitsune (shape-shifting foxes)...not sure what else to add here except I find the mythologies very interesting :smile:

I would love to visit Japan one day, especially when the cherry blossoms are in full bloom...

ipp1
03-04-2016, 05:29 AM
Somnia same here I really like Japan too. My interest steeming from my love of anime and manga, but I also like there culture and love how they have cherry blossom trees that beautifully mark there spring. As for the folklore I really only know what Ive seen in anime..yeah i know not really a great source but I've always wondered about the Kuchisake-onna aka slit face women. I actually watched the Japanese version in english subtitles and they tell a completely different story as to the american one of a women getting her face slit by her husband because of his jealousy of her beauty, and how she will show up and ask you if she's pretty and depending on your answer shell either kill you or slit your mouth like hers.

Another one is more of a place than a yokai is the (suicide forest) Aokigahara Forest in mount fuji. Apparently its believed that the dead are still there and the suicide rate is really high up that they even have patrols and signs there for people. Also apparently getting lost is like death trap because there no cell service,gps doesn't work and apparently neither do compasses...Sorry I feel like I've strayed off topic.

Moon_Glow
04-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Princess Mononoke is an amazing animated film that beautifully captures the Yōkai - if you haven't already you should check it out

Somnia
04-04-2016, 08:45 PM
As for the folklore I really only know what Ive seen in anime..yeah i know not really a great source...

Actually, this makes a lot of sense considering how many anime series/movies incorporate folklore/legends/superstitions/etc. into their animated works...Granted it's understandable in certain cases it's "overly romanticized" as I like to call it, and can be a bit dramatic, but the basic tones of the folklore are still present...

Yes I have seen Princess Mononoke! It is one of my favorites because of the wolf gods! :D

Moon_Glow
04-04-2016, 08:48 PM
<3 I think I may just watch it tonight hehe

SoulsInMotion
04-04-2016, 10:01 PM
This overlaps with the other anime thread I see :P

There are at least 2 anime that I know of that feature Kappas, one is Arakawa Under The Bridge, and the other is a film called Summer Days With Coo (better imo).

yokai are exceedingly common in anime, though the most well known example might be in Inuyasha. it's like the concept of a demon or ghost in western media.

Fae Rei
05-04-2016, 03:41 AM
I'd never heard of them before playing Bravely Second on the Nintendo 3DS. :)

Howla Dark
07-04-2016, 09:18 AM
I love Japanese folklore and spirits. The animal types, such as the kitsune are very magical. There are some very bizarre yokai such as the Burabura (household objects) that are really living spirits that can communicate.

SoulsInMotion
07-04-2016, 11:51 AM
burabura, aka bureaubureau :P

fox22
19-04-2016, 03:38 AM
i agree that yokai, & demons in general r very much romanticized.

H:O:R:A:C:E
19-04-2016, 04:30 AM
What are your thoughts on these myths and folklore. .

Yōkai (妖怪?, ghost, phantom, strange apparition) are a class of supernatural monsters and spirits in Japanese folklore. The word yōkai is made up of the kanji for "bewitching; attractive; calamity" and "apparition; mystery; suspicious".[1] They can also be called ayakashi (妖?), mononoke (物の怪?), or mamono (魔物?). Yōkai range eclectically from the malevolent to the mischievous, or occasionally bring good fortune to those who encounter them. Often they possess animal features (such as the Kappa, which is similar to a turtle, or the Tengu which has wings), other times they can appear mostly human, some look like inanimate objects and others have no discernible shape. Yōkai usually have a spiritual supernatural power, with shapeshifting being one of the most common. Yōkai that have the ability to shapeshift are called obake.
(wikipedia :D)

i've played a card game called Legend of the Five Rings which deals with Samurai and varied
beasties of oriental nature. there's some amazing art in there (better than MtG imo).

http://www.proudccg.com/uploads/3/1/3/2/31327113/s407182912220200039_p804_i1_w428.jpeg

here's an article i've found that may interest you:
What’s the Difference Between Yurei and Yokai?
https://hyakumonogatari.com/2013/11/15/whats-the-difference-between-yurei-and-yokai/

CrystalKitty777
30-07-2016, 02:50 PM
I love legends about the Nekomatta [cat ghosts], Kitsune [fox spirits], and Tengu best.

Shivani Devi
01-08-2016, 03:22 AM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2VJYbfxwMOU/hqdefault.jpg

Yeah, Death Note is full of them...Shinigami...

taurmel
27-01-2017, 05:50 AM
My son is absolutely enamored with yokai because of the Japanese anime, he's always saying someone is enspirited with one or another depending on what they're doing :p He'll be very interested to learn that one of his favorite cartoons has it's roots in actual Japanese folklore, will have to find him some books!