PDA

View Full Version : not being able to trust spiritual people online

twinkle
17-01-2011, 04:34 PM
So far, spiritual people I have met online elsewhere have shown to be people I can't trust. People who lash out and talk behind your back without cause. I haven't had this problem with people not into spirituality. Ironic, isn't it? I can't say all spiritual people aren't to be trusted on the Internet, but I have really had bad luck with the people I met. It makes me want to break away from spirituality.

Summerland
17-01-2011, 04:48 PM
So far, spiritual people I have met online elsewhere have shown to be people I can't trust. People who lash out and talk behind your back without cause. I haven't had this problem with people not into spirituality. Ironic, isn't it? I can't say all spiritual people aren't to be trusted on the Internet, but I have really had bad luck with the people I met. It makes me want to break away from spirituality.

twinkle, I guess that you would have to go on a personal basis. There will be those that you can trust and you can generally feel that if you check out their past postings. And those that don't make you feel that they are someone who you could share with, don't. And yes, you are right, that it is ironic that the ones who are spiritual you can't trust.
That would not be a reason to break away from your quest for spitiuality. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Maybe you jump in too quickly about personal things in your life. Or maybe you would do better finding a different source for sharing of your spiritual journey. If you stay here, I hope that you will use your inner wisdom when it comes to sharing.

Enya
17-01-2011, 04:48 PM
I'd suggest that a better way is to break away from your perceptions about spiritual and 'spiritual people'. What are spiritual people - do they call themselves that, do you? Do you assume they are, do you hold them to a standard they cannot or will not reach? Why do you judge them so?

It's never easy to realise that people you expect to be 'better' turn out to have feet of clay and all sorts of human conditions. One thing I've recognised lately is that if such people are in your life, it's because you invited them in, to mirror your own issues around this.
As an example - I got angry and judgemental recently about some friends who profess to be spiritual and then don't respect others in their words or thoughts. After a bit of wrestling with it, I found that I was doing exactly the same as them! Also, by doing so, I reflected my own lack of respect for my self. So, I mentally thanked them for the valuable lesson and put it in my basket of things to take note of.

Food for thought? :smile:

twinkle
17-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I have been hestitant to share online. I learned not to share anything about my personal life online again because I can't trust others to keep it private like I their information private.

Enya
17-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Fair enough. I don't share much private stuff online either. No one's saying you have to. Being spiritual doesn't mean you share your innermost self... even if some people think it's part of the 'we're all in this together' therapy mind-set. :wink: (I wasn't, btw, looking for direct answers to those questions I wrote... just suggesting some angles for you to think about.)

mac
17-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I have been hestitant to share online. I learned not to share anything about my personal life online again because I can't trust others to keep it private like I their information private.
It's wise not to put into the public domain anything you wouldn't be comfortable for those unknown to you to know about you. :smile: Having said that there is much that can be said and discussed without it relating to yourself specifically - get what I'm saying?

Forums are a mixed blessing inasmuch as you can air your concerns and maybe find someone with relevant experience which may help you on your way. But you may get responses you're not really prepared for - happens to me constantly!!

Speaking about "spiritual people" says nothing about them as individuals - who says they're 'spiritual' anyway? Whatever 'spiritual' means.....

Take heart. SF isn't a bad place to be - I've been in really bad places where I'm hesitant to return but here is as safe as most and far more thought-provoking than many.

Sira
17-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Yes, I've had my share of experiences at spiritual forums and keep my antennae up nowadays. What I call sheer cheating is people who claim to be of Love and Light and turn out to be energy vampires - even worse: working as group. I still try to be as transparent and authentic as I possibly can because I know it truly helps those whose path is close to mine. We validate each other's experiences. :hug2:

Evaah
17-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Are you talking about "spiritual people" who do readings? Or are you simply talking about all manners of "spiritual people"? Not all "spiritual" individuals are in this for the same purpose. Unfortunately, there are those who are in the spiritual "business" for reasons other than helping others. But you know this already.

And even then, the "spiritual people" you speak of could simply be those who have just begun their journeys. They're still working on their issues, you know?

But all the same, it could be just as Enya said. They could be reflections of yourself. "As within, so without."

Sira
17-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Hmmm. Reminds me when I came to this forum... a month ago? I was excited and replied to many people in many threads, entering into vortexes of opinions. Then I started receiving personal messages. They were all saying that this person follows this tactic, another person this, and carefully choose where you want to place your energy not to get lost in the debate. I took heed and started to energetically scan posted messages. Thanks to these wonderful persons' advice, I feel fine here, because I'm now better aware of the energies going on. The point is, people care. After just one month here, I have friends at this forum and I truly appreciate them. :hug2:

Emmalevine
17-01-2011, 09:35 PM
I think this about separating your need for spirituality from the people you're having problems with. What do you stand for? What do you want/feel by leading a spiritual life? It hurts when people go behind your back yes, but if you really want to lead a spiritual life, that is what counts, not the people you meet. There will be dishonest and difficult people in every walk of life. I think there comes a time to rise above it and stand true to what you want your life to mean regardless of who you meet.

fiona123
17-01-2011, 09:41 PM
this is my second visit to this site. well second day also, i came here not just to answer questions but to influence my ambilities, i guess i will know it in my heart if you can trust or follow the advice and hope that gut feeling is of the right one

Neville
17-01-2011, 09:46 PM
You will know.

The only thing I can add is that if you have encountered untrustworthy people, you have not been attracted to the trustworthy people yet. And in order to get anything right, you have to get it wrong a few times.

There are still good guys out there.

Ciqala
17-01-2011, 10:00 PM

All people are just people, thus you will find people who are not spiritual to be just as untrusting, yet many spiritual people delve into the area of ego, and use their spiritual abilities for personal gain, in the spiritual communities, you find a lot of baggage with people disputing their own spiritual beliefs, it can all lead into a giant ego trip. The problem with spiritual people, is on the way to spiritual growth and enlightenment, a lot of issues tend to come to the surface.
It takes one a long time, in order to become truly enlightened. Thus, to put expectations upon "spiritual people" thinking they should be all like enlightened priests is judging, since spiritual people, even though some tend to put themselves on pedestals, aren't any better than the rest of the population, they still have a lot of personal work to do. That's just the reality of the world.
You have to be careful of who you put your trust into, especially delving into spiritual communities, you have to be more careful to not associate with people who abuse spirituality for personal gain and power trips. The internet is safe, that way, people can't get to you like they can in real life.

As far as considering breaking away from spirituality, that is your own issue getting in the way. Use your intuition to tell the difference, it is your own choice whether or not you let it bother you.
Learn to accept the fact, that people are just people. You can't label a spiritual practice, by the one who practices it. Spirituality is not about the people who use it. If you have a problem with people getting to you, you are just as bad as the people who get to you. I don't mean that to sound harsh, i really don't, but it's a fact, especially on the internet, when you delve into spiritually communities, you have to learn to debate civilly, and respect other peoples views, and learn to treat your enemy as they are sick. The spiritual people that lash out at you, are just going through some issues, so be kind, and turn the other cheek, be the bigger man, and move on to your own spiritual journey.
To have a person threaten your spiritual journey, is just a huge warning sign, that you are not comfortable within yourself, and your own spiritual ways. Keep following your own path, know what is right for you, and none of this will bother you. Use your intuition in a situation, that will stop issues from arising in the first place.

People, are just people, wether they are spiritual or not.
For the record, this site is a very trustworthy site, and the people here are polite, loving, and have many wisdoms to share.

pre-dawn
18-01-2011, 02:51 AM
So far, spiritual people I have met online elsewhere have shown to be people I can't trust. People who lash out and talk behind your back without cause. I haven't had this problem with people not into spirituality. Ironic, isn't it? I can't say all spiritual people aren't to be trusted on the Internet, but I have really had bad luck with the people I met. It makes me want to break away from spirituality. Be aware that in forums like this there are many people who have serious psycho-emotional problems. Some of them use such a platform to avoid seeing a priest, counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist or spiritual director. Working on things remotely and in public, rather than in person and confidential, makes it easier to avoid the issues which really need to be looked at. If someone says something you don't like you can just ignore the person and not reply, or use some other tactic to skirt around the issue without being confronted and there will always be some who commiserate or sympathise with you no matter what the presented situation is.

I am not saying that disturbed people should not be member's of forums. Circumstances may not really allow them to avail themselves to use the services mentioned above. The internet becomes the last resort to find some relief, but it also means that we have to read posts with discernment.

dogninja
18-01-2011, 03:03 AM
Its a sounding board like any other. Like a fishing trip for those who fish. I usually post something, and maybe get some good responses that are useful. There are cool people here, and some wingnuts. There is even some Falun datsun or whatever it's called! Trolls happen everywhere. I realized early on that if i wanted drama, Yahoo chatrooms would work equally well. You can always PM nice folks, so I have learned.

Deusdrum
18-01-2011, 04:30 AM

I think it's important to realize twinkle, that people can use Spirituality to put forth a facade of authority. It is a means to have power over people for some. Add to the fact that on the internet people can remain anonymous, or even actively deceptive about who they are, and of course, you may run into some less than scrupulous characters.

That is possible in any area on the internet though. There is the factor also of; "well i am so spiritual, i know more than these other simple fools" which is like a superiority trip, that people can sometimes use as an excuse. There are single mothers who may have never read a spiritual book in their life who may be more 'positive' or Spiritually in tune and aligned than many self proclaimed spiritual, new age masters out there, in my opinion.

While i cannot speak for where you have come across these other "spiritual people", these forums, in my opinion, are frequented by many good, wise, beautiful, genuine, sincere people. But like anywhere else, you should exercise your own instincts, intuition, discernment with any relationship. Trust is something to be earned, in many ways.

jorddy
18-01-2011, 04:38 AM
Hey Twinkle, :)
In this world, people are still people no matter what - The way our society runs leaves us fearful of eachother. I bump into a lot of people who are in it for themselves too. Its discouraging, but it shows you how much this world needs to change, the outlooks. "Be the change you wish to see in the world" :)
Im here for you Twinkle, as well as many other people :)
We are all here for eachother, we just need to realize our true motivation.

Neville
18-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I think it's important to realize twinkle, that people can use Spirituality to put forth a facade of authority. It is a means to have power over people for some. Add to the fact that on the internet people can remain anonymous, or even actively deceptive about who they are, and of course, you may run into some less than scrupulous characters.

An excellent observation,

In a world where all of us are making it up as we go along, the vulnerable moments occur, and vulnerable moments can be sauce for the goose for some.

psychoslice
18-01-2011, 10:05 AM
No ones perfect spiritual or non spiritual, if you expect anything more then you are going to live a very miserable life. I find it hard to believe that there are that many people here that can't be trusted, maybe there's a lesson for you to learn here ?, I know I have learnt a few while being here.

shepherd
18-01-2011, 10:34 AM

To be honest, I understand the way you feel, I have over the many years witnessed the irony of the spiritual community. On here I get a lot of flack from members for various reasons, sometimes its my fault other times its mob mentality from spiritual conditioning. It's worth working on that whatever is said to or done to you, its not personal. It might sting abit but its about their perceptions of you and their spirtuality which can cause conflict and you will have no idea what has influenced that person to see the world the way they do. Despite all that as we are only human and are not perfect so mistakes are made and apologies given. There are some amazing people on here who offer some great insights into their beliefs with some profound nuggets of wisdom popping up now and then too and brilliantly not just quotes from a book! Just be aware of those that treat their beliefs as fact, I find their the ones who will create the most problems as they don't want their beliefs to be rocked or challenged in some way.

(http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=117841)

blackfellawhitefella
18-01-2011, 10:45 AM
I am not saying that disturbed people should not be member's of forums.

... phew !

Native spirit
18-01-2011, 10:45 AM
:smile: I can only echo what has already been said before in other posts, i am a counsellor and everything that is said to me is highly confidential, but i am also a spiritulist does that make me un trustworthy?
its the experiences you may have had with the few,
doesnt justify having the same feelings with the others, everyone is different.

Namaste

Smiler
18-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi Twinkle

Quote:

Spiritual comes from the Latin spiritus which means breathing.

Guess that means all people ,

Please dont leave because others are not honorable
... but stay because you are honorable
....and you want too for You!

love and blessings
:)

NightSpirit
18-01-2011, 12:02 PM
All kinds of people hide behind masks..whether in 3D or on the net. As someone else said here....the net just makes it way easier to hide.
Also it was suggested earlier that these awarenesses are brought to us to allow us opportunities to work with them for whatever reasons.
Some may hide under the mask of 'spirituality' or 'christian' ...or even your 'loving neighbour' and use its doorway to just be nasty...which is usually their real nature in or out of the net.
I have some very nasty elderly people I have to work with and they don't give a hoot how nasty they are. We all need to do our best to work with this and see it for what it is. Not take it to heart.

twinkle
18-01-2011, 12:39 PM
I do not mean trolls. Like someone said, I think it has to do more with people who have serious psycho-emotional problems. I have met more people like that on spiritual forums. These people seem nicer than those with bigger egos so I communicate with them, but it turns out to be a disaster. I would not want to ever meet them like I would want to meet other people who share the same interests with me outside of spirituality.

Smiler
18-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Twinkle

Just be you and talk
See what happens okay

You are a stronger soul than you think .

And hey good thing about net is they are not your neighbour... if you dont like them lol.. just talk to some-one else ay! :) or turn comp off :)

Love and Light

Kapitan_Prien
18-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Twinkle: So far, spiritual people I have met online elsewhere have shown to be people I can't trust. People who lash out and talk behind your back without cause. I haven't had this problem with people not into spirituality. Ironic, isn't it? I can't say all spiritual people aren't to be trusted on the Internet, but I have really had bad luck with the people I met. It makes me want to break away from spirituality.

Odd that you bring this up because I had thought of this very same thing yesterday...

Elfay
18-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Hi Twinkle, I know where your coming from and I have been there as I am sure a lot on here have. I was on a forum about 3 years ago it started as a nice, warm friendly spiritual forum but it turned into a huge mess - too many egos. People hiding behind a computer screen became cruel and angry with me for no apparent reason. My so called friends ripped me to shreds and I was literly crushed and totally shaken by what happened. I totally lost trust of everyone online. I was afraid to go into forums I use to belong to. I was able to detoxify myself of them and move on. I have learned to listen to what my intuitons is saying and I have been able to reenter forums again and be very selective whom I trust. Some may think I am aloof and unfriendly, I have just learned to distance myself from people that may become toxic. SF is an awesome forum, I don't post much but I read a lot. Taking in things.

Kapitan_Prien
18-01-2011, 04:43 PM
^ I can relate to much of what you wrote Elfay. I too totally lost trust of everyone online and like you - I've become rather selective too. I also agree that some may think that I'm aloof, unfriendly, etc. but they only know me through a computer screen...they don't know me in person - so they only see my pixelized letters...not my eyes.

And in my case it wasn't just spiritual boards...but other places too. But the majority of it has come from spiritual boards/groups.

I've caught FLAK because of my U-Boat interest and all that entails - people have assumed me to be a Nazi apologist - Nazi revisionist (although they need to really research the label revisionist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revisionism) before they use it so liberally), etc.

So - I've not only caught it with regards to the 'spiritual stuff' but also the historical stuff...and due to this I'm VERY picky with where I go.

Perspective
18-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Twinkle,
Thanks for the good reminder to be selective in handing out trust. I think it's important to realize twinkle, that people can use Spirituality to put forth a facade of authority. It is a means to have power over people for some. Add to the fact that on the internet people can remain anonymous, or even actively deceptive about who they are, and of course, you may run into some less than scrupulous characters.

That is possible in any area on the internet though. There is the factor also of; "well i am so spiritual, i know more than these other simple fools" which is like a superiority trip, that people can sometimes use as an excuse. There are single mothers who may have never read a spiritual book in their life who may be more 'positive' or Spiritually in tune and aligned than many self proclaimed spiritual, new age masters out there, in my opinion.

While i cannot speak for where you have come across these other "spiritual people", these forums, in my opinion, are frequented by many good, wise, beautiful, genuine, sincere people. But like anywhere else, you should exercise your own instincts, intuition, discernment with any relationship. Trust is something to be earned, in many ways. I agree. Online forums - especially ones talking of "ideals" are pretty idealistic. lol :smile:
And I notice a lot of "ego" in talk of "no ego" - including mine (except I aknowledge my ego. -Uh-see? More ego!) lol
I love this forum & the people that post here! I'm learning a lot & feel so grateful to many - not only for wisdom but especially love.

Sometimes this forum seems like a shared journal of dreams & goals...
We can type anything, but actions speak louder than words.
IMO - GOD is love, & those who are divinely inspired show by how they treat themselves & others.
"I don't care how much someone knows, until I know how much they care."

ArtisticAthlete
18-01-2011, 06:23 PM

I agree with what most posters have said--people are people. All because they claim to be "spiritual", does not mean you can automatically trust them with the details of your life. Only tell people what you wouldn't mind other people knowing; especially if you met them online. You have no idea who you're talking to! In my case, I'm an open book so I do not really care if people repeat what I've told them. But then again, I do not tell people stuff I want to be kept a "secret".

Also, no one should have the power to make you want to break away from spirituality. I don't think you should say, "I do not want to be spiritual anymore because ____ told a secret of mine." We're responsible for everything that happens to us in our life. Perhaps this is a lesson to show you that you need to be a little more cautious with sharing information online? Don't let untrusting people steer you away from being spiritual; they have nothing to do with your spirituality...and if you run because of them, you're only doing yourself a disservice. Because, best believe you will run into non-spiritual people who act the same way.

Live 'n learn! :hug3:

Be aware that in forums like this there are many people who have serious psycho-emotional problems. Some of them use such a platform to avoid seeing a priest, counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist or spiritual director. Working on things remotely and in public, rather than in person and confidential, makes it easier to avoid the issues which really need to be looked at. If someone says something you don't like you can just ignore the person and not reply, or use some other tactic to skirt around the issue without being confronted and there will always be some who commiserate or sympathise with you no matter what the presented situation is.

I agree. I've only been on here for a little over a month and I've definitely ran into a couple of off people. :cool:

shepherd
22-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Hearing you loud and clear.

Sammy
22-01-2011, 02:55 PM
I think its the connection you found with God thats allways the most important focus with religion. Others have thier own experience like us all.

CuriousSnowflake
22-01-2011, 03:59 PM

I'm sorry you've had such bad luck. Too often, people use forums like this as soapboxes for their own personal agenda, aggrandizing themselves in order to feel "right" or to convince others (and thus themselves) that their ideas are the "true" ones. The lovely thing about the internet is this wonderful invention called the Ignore Button. If you find someone who really rubs you the wrong way, click it and wipe them from your existence. :D

But I think that kinda sidesteps the point. One of the best things that results from true spirituality is a certain immunity to the poor opinions of others. There will always be those who need to pull you down in order to build themselves up, and this can hurt us. It hurts because we crave the good opinion of others, and we crave this because, too often, we do not have a good opinion of ourselves. This is perfectly understandable, since we live in a society whose economy is built around making us feel bad about ourselves and then convincing us that the only way too feel good is to buy, buy, buy. This teaches us from a young age that happiness is an external thing, that it comes from acquisitions and from other people.

What spirituality allows us to see is that true happiness is always, always an internal thing. Here we venture into my own ideas and opinions, so feel free to take them or leave them as you choose, but I put them forth as an attempt to help and to show you a possible path toward peace and joy in your life. I believe that the reason happiness is internal is because the purpose of life is the definition of self, and self-definition comes from personal decisions about what you choose to be or not be. Such decisions, when it comes down to brass tacks, are always reached by yourself, within yourself. Where a lot of misery in life comes in is when we attempt to define ourselves based upon the ideas, ideals, and preferences of others. No matter how hard we try to convince ourselves otherwise, any externally-found definitions of self will not resonate with our souls, and unhappiness and discontentment will always result.

One good thing can come from this. The external world does show us ideas of what we can be or can choose not to be. In fact, that is the entire point of physicality; to give us a backdrop of relativity against which we can compare ourselves. That which we choose to be only makes sense in comparison to what we choose not to be, and the external world gives us this context. This explains the mistake of these people who have brought you such misery. They have defined themselves, true, but they still believe that the external world is the source of happiness. So they believe that the rest of the world has to agree with them in order for their ideas to be "right", and thus feel justified in attacking those who disagree with them.

So don't let the discouraging words and actions of others disrupt your joy. Go within, find your balance and idea of self, and allow the differing choices of others around you serve as a point of comparison. This will give you the personal equilibrium to be able to say "I forgive them, for the know not what they do".

CS

Kapitan_Prien
22-01-2011, 04:05 PM
CS: we live in a society whose economy is built around making us feel bad about ourselves and then convincing us that the only way too feel good is to buy, buy, buy. This teaches us from a young age that happiness is an external thing, that it comes from acquisitions and from other people.

I had been thinking about the consumerism thing lately...that's something that is quite alien to me. There isn't much you can really take out to sea - and what you need most are necessities...I don't know how else to put it. So I feel very awkward because I'm the total opposite of 'the consumerist' type.

Mabuz Luciferi
22-01-2011, 07:03 PM

Welcome to the human race. In truth it is a weakness of human nature to be a predator. Spirituality I admit creates a fair amount of deceit and egotism, but in my personal experience I have found this to be the case across all outlooks.

deepsea
22-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I never give any personal information on site.
Not because I do not trust but because 'online' is a playground for more than the members on site.

Deepsea

Jules
23-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Personally speaking, I've found a lot of jealousy and ego within the Spiritual 'realms' for want of a better word, either in 'real life' or online. Ego plays a big part of it.

But what I'd also like to say Twinkle is, this is a lesson in discernment and trust. Trusting in yourself and your 'team'. Listen to your gut instinct and learn to trust it.

I came into this with eyes closed tight. I was a complete novice and expected everyone to be the same as I was. Honest, caring, compassionate etc etc. Until the time came when I trusted against my better judgement and was stabbed in the back. That brought some HUGE issues for me to deal with, so although this seems like such a bad situation to be in trust me, it's not. You can only learn through what we seemingly call 'mistakes'. I don't believe them to be so - to me every experience is perfect in the moment and we're meant to be exactly where we are at any given moment.

So, lesson here listen to your instincts and trust.

Namaste
Jue
xx

Perspective
23-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I agree, Jue & thanks for the reminder of trusting instincts. I definetely have learned from experiences...
Learning about gossiping lies behind my back from extended family really hurt me. For a while, I was so depressed about it. If you can't even trust family, who can you trust?

My son & I were walking... & out of the blue he told me about how they were playing basketball during recess & the other team lost & started making up all of these lies.
He said, he thought they did that so they could feel better about themselves.
I got the chills. He, unknowingly gave me a lot of comfort at that moment. Understanding helps to be more compassionate with ourselves & with people who hurt us.

As CS mentioned, it's common to want the approval of others. But real self-esteem comes from within. I'm still learning to apply this simple but challenging concept.

WhiteDevil
26-01-2011, 12:10 AM
I find 98% of the worlds population is like this, I think it's just mere coincidence that the ones you've come across happen to be spiritual.

pre-dawn
26-01-2011, 04:29 AM
I find 98% of the worlds population is like this, I think it's just mere coincidence that the ones you've come across happen to claim to be spiritual.
There, fixed it.