PDA

View Full Version : Spiritual Path Confusion

lucas
10-12-2015, 11:19 PM
I really hope this is in the right place.

I've been having a lot of trouble finding something that feels right. I've been into Buddhism for about two years now, but very lazily. I really don't meditate or follow any sort of teachings so I don't consider myself Buddhist. Over this summer Asatru was calling me. I did some research and it felt right for a while, the beliefs and culture seemed to fit, also it went well with my heritage. But I soon fell off of that as well. It's sort of a tribe based path and no one near me practices.

I don't like using it as an excuse but it seems my ADD keeps my mind running on overdrive and I can't stick with anything. That and constantly changing beliefs keep me confused. I sometimes also gravitate toward things that seem "cool" but this is very immature, and I need to get past it.

I really don't know how anyone could help but any thoughtful posting is appreciated.

knightofalbion
10-12-2015, 11:33 PM
Contrary to what they might say, belonging to this or that religion, of itself, won't make one iota of difference to the soul's progress.

It is love and love expressed (i.e. Service, kindness, compassion, mercy, forgiveness, tolerance etc) that exalts the soul.

Of course belonging to a particular religion can make one a better, kinder, more loving person - religion has helped many people turn their lives around, this can't be denied - and if it helps, then it's good, but in the final analysis, it is one's own actions that determine progress, or otherwise, on the spiritual path.

lucas
10-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Yes, I understand. I've always just wanted something to identify myself with, some sort of brotherhood, even if they're people I don't know. I need to separate my spirituality from my fickle personality, and just stick with some sort of path whether religious or not.

AlvinW333
12-12-2015, 01:11 AM
Hi, I don't mean to push my spiritual path on you, but you are asking for some kind of path that's easy, anyway Eckankar the religion of Light and Sound of God is a easy and most direct path to God the chant matras such as HU a sacred name of God and one experances the Light and Sound of God, which is the Word of God or the Holy Spirit, and It opens the God qulitys that we alwedy have, then also we have a inner Master called the Mahanta. You should check it out( Eckankar) it tells you what its all about

I AM
12-12-2015, 03:03 AM
I really hope this is in the right place.

I've been having a lot of trouble finding something that feels right. I've been into Buddhism for about two years now, but very lazily. I really don't meditate or follow any sort of teachings so I don't consider myself Buddhist. Over this summer Asatru was calling me. I did some research and it felt right for a while, the beliefs and culture seemed to fit, also it went well with my heritage. But I soon fell off of that as well. It's sort of a tribe based path and no one near me practices.

I don't like using it as an excuse but it seems my ADD keeps my mind running on overdrive and I can't stick with anything. That and constantly changing beliefs keep me confused. I sometimes also gravitate toward things that seem "cool" but this is very immature, and I need to get past it.

I really don't know how anyone could help but any thoughtful posting is appreciated.

If your interested try reading the book "Seth speaks" by Jane Roberts. I've ben a student of Seth for about 20 years now, it's new age if that speaks to you. If you do like it there are about 25 or so books by him.
Just an Idea.:smile:

Jyotir
12-12-2015, 05:23 PM
Hi lucas,

Every path ‘begins’ from where one is here and now - unavoidably true for everyone whether they are 18 or 88.

If nothing feels right, then keep searching. And if it does feel right, keep diving deeper. That is the ‘path‘.

It is actually the emergent and emerging divine within that is the true impetus of that search - e.g., the divine is seeking Itself in and through your life. And that will take a completely unique form in each and every seeker’s life as that search and discovery unfolds from within. One simply has to persist in a patient and positive manner, and that often means having to explore different approaches, which doesn’t necessarily indicate dilettantism or ’immaturity’. Readings from different traditions and Masters is an expedient to exposure. But while the internet and commercial culture provides an unprecedented wealth of access, there are many sources which embody a real poverty of authenticity, and why intuitive discrimination has to be patiently cultivated, self-examined and valued...

iow...It helps to be open and receptive, but also discriminating.

So it’s ok to be attracted to what seems ‘cool’ as long as one then determines if there is substance in it, and further, if that particular content has utility for one’s own needs. And sometimes that means moving on. If it is significant to you, your own Highest Self will remind, re-direct and re-connect, etc.

And as a response to its increasing emergence, it is also helpful - some would say essential - to therefore develop a dialogue with, to devote and dedicate to the Highest within, which will then increasingly serve as guidance, and become increasingly familiar as such.

When (and if) the time comes to ‘settle down’ to something very specific, you’ll know it, often precisely because of already having had different exposures and experiences, including and especially with your own emerging guidance through those experiences. Therefore, trust your feeling, and not an expectation based on external habitual religious and cultural conventions which are likely being exceeded at this time - and it takes time. So relax, but use that time wisely.

Be cautious of futile self-comparisons based on others’ eagerly boasted stories of ‘instant’ enlightenment, liberation, occult abilities, 'far-out' experiences etc., etc., especially as related on websites such as SF, which upon even casual perusal would seem to indicate that every other person has achieved spiritual mastery, when they’ve simply woken up and washed their face (or had it slapped awake) after a long sleep.

Conversely, also be wary of a simplistically seductive cynicism, essentially a disempowering intellectually reasoned materialism - a virtual individual or socially contextualized religion of self-doubt, which is intrinsically suspicious of (revealed, even if nascent) inner purpose and possibility, and an elaborate rationalization of perpetual sleep walking.

You don’t have to feel confused, guilty or distressed just because a relatively new orientation is developing in which a search for truth becomes increasingly internalized regarding constantly shifting external form (illusion), which is now being observed with greater and greater detachment and discernment. That is the new orientation.

The previous orientation meant being swept along helplessly by those same various forces and forms of Nature in their constant changing and shifting surface appearance, primarily through the ignorant unconscious attachment of the mind and vital (separative desire), which is the very definition of ADD.

~ J

7luminaries
12-12-2015, 06:06 PM
A wonderful post by Jyotir, full of wisdom. Agreed, full stop.

Be cautious of futile self-comparisons based on others’ eagerly boasted stories of ‘instant’ enlightenment, liberation, occult abilities, 'far-out' experiences etc., etc.

Conversely, also be wary of a simplistically seductive cynicism, essentially a disempowering intellectually reasoned materialism...
...which is intrinsically suspicious of...inner purpose and possibility, and [which is] an elaborate rationalization of perpetual sleep walking.

it is also helpful - some would say essential - to therefore develop a dialogue with, to devote and dedicate to the Highest within, which will then increasingly serve as guidance...

Peace & blessings to you,
7L

naturesflow
12-12-2015, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=lucas]I really hope this is in the right place.

Often the external reflections open up your needs in you and how your going about things that can change for you in some way. Honouring how you process is as important to what you seek to grow through, and by looking at this, it can help you choose beyond something that is the way the mainstream build and deepen their interest or what others are doing to grow and learn through their way. Their way is not necessarily your way and this can be your sticking point of not connecting deeper, not holding focus and not sustaining any lasting affects in you to grow deeper.

So how best do you learn and grow are good questions to ask yourself? How do you work best and gather and build deeper connection in what interests you?

Meaning do you work better in groups doing practical exercises/hands on, or maybe bouncing off others ideas to open and build your own?

Those times, where we try to be something we are not in ways we cant build focus in the way we need, (sourcing the whole learning environment, not just the source itself) just wont work. So taking a look at you as a whole being in its need space and finding that first can be a good start. When I started out, I grew faster in small group settings where their were hands on stuff, interactions, open sharing, fun stuff, interactive and enjoyable. So look at you and what interests you and see how you can sustain it more so through this means perhaps?..To build a focus that opens you deeper to feel connected rather than skimming the surface and not getting any real satisfaction.

ADD or any concentration issue (I used to be like this too, so I had to train myself to focus ) requires you to find the base of learning before the source sometimes. Meaning the environment to suit you, then you naturally begin to thrive rather than give up without any real lasting affect.

lucas
17-12-2015, 10:45 PM
Thank you very much, everyone. Sorry the reply was so late. I really appreciate the answers, I feel a bit more at peace with my uncertainty now.