PDA

View Full Version : Awareness at all cost?

I AM
05-12-2015, 11:36 PM
Is there anything more important than awareness?

Shinsoo
05-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Openness? :p

Miss Hepburn
06-12-2015, 12:08 AM
What you place your awareness on? ;P

naturesflow
06-12-2015, 12:26 AM
Lots of things are important..I am aware of that much.

Lightwaves
06-12-2015, 12:46 AM
More important than awareness? Being. Being who you are. This I feel is of prime importance and fortunately there is nothing we can do to not be who we are.

Revya
06-12-2015, 12:51 AM
The problem with awareness is once you've opened your eyes and seen, you can't just close them again and pretend it's not real. So awareness at all costs would end up with your average person terrified to even sleep at night, knowing the myriad number of things that could waltz in the door at any moment. In the end it doesn't change what is. but most people sleep better at night not knowing.

I AM
06-12-2015, 12:54 AM

I suppose that awareness with nothing to be aware of would be silly.
But to chose what to be aware of?

I AM
06-12-2015, 12:56 AM
The problem with awareness is once you've opened your eyes and seen, you can't just close them again and pretend it's not real. So awareness at all costs would end up with your average person terrified to even sleep at night, knowing the myriad number of things that could waltz in the door at any moment. In the end it doesn't change what is. but most people sleep better at night not knowing.

That's a good point.

I AM
06-12-2015, 01:00 AM
More important than awareness? Being. Being who you are. This I feel is of prime importance and fortunately there is nothing we can do to not be who we are.

What if your not aware of who you are?/what you are?

I AM
06-12-2015, 01:15 AM

Ya know, the more I think about this the more I like it.

Lightwaves
06-12-2015, 01:23 AM
What if your not aware of who you are?/what you are?

I feel that level of awareness doesn't make one amazing. We are amazing just the way we are. Awareness is nice to have, yes. It doesn't make us special though. Our greatness comes naturally. We don't have to be aware of ourselves to be amazing. You could have the awareness of every state of being possible and heal every potential ailment or you could have the awareness of a shrub and I was still call you beautiful. That said I also see the importance of awareness. Our lack of clarity as a species sends this world into a state where we kill each other for little to no reason and we often view each other as no more than a thing in the way of what we desire. So yes, I want a happy world too and I agree, if we want a happy and peaceful world then awareness of who we truly are is paramount. Things will be as they are and they are perfect as such. Doesn't mean we can't chose something better for all of us though.

Thank you for asking such a wonderful question.

I AM
06-12-2015, 01:36 AM
I feel that level of awareness doesn't make one amazing. We are amazing just the way we are. Awareness is nice to have, yes. It doesn't make us special though. Our greatness comes naturally. We don't have to be aware of ourselves to be amazing. You could have the awareness of every state of being possible and heal every potential ailment or you could have the awareness of a shrub and I was still call you beautiful. That said I also see the importance of awareness. Our lack of clarity as a species sends this world into a state where we kill each other for little to no reason and we often view each other as no more than a thing in the way of what we desire. So yes, I want a happy world too and I agree, if we want a happy and peaceful world then awareness of who we truly are is paramount. Things will be as they are and they are perfect as such. Doesn't mean we can't chose something better for all of us though.

Thank you for asking such a wonderful question.

I can see where your coming from.:smile:

wstein
06-12-2015, 03:52 AM
Is there anything more important than awareness? Being. Without that, awareness is without venue.

bluebird21
06-12-2015, 04:04 AM
water? ;)

But then again, isn't everything awareness?

naturesflow
06-12-2015, 04:10 AM
water? ;)

Aware of awareness..your onto it.

bluebird21
06-12-2015, 04:13 AM
OOohhh but what is aware of the awareness? Who is asking this question?

Timeless
06-12-2015, 04:18 AM

The most important thing to remember is you don't have to do anything.

Rokon
06-12-2015, 04:39 AM
Awareness would be absolutely boring without "experience" as opposed to "being".

Awareness + experiencing = LIVING

Rah nam
06-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Awareness does not come at any cost, it just comes.
Nothing changes before we are aware of it.

Gem
06-12-2015, 08:10 AM
No. And it's not important either. Teehee.

Gem
06-12-2015, 08:11 AM
Aware of awareness..your onto it.

Oh that .

CosmicHealer
06-12-2015, 08:58 AM
with an open mind, anything can be a possibility.

naturesflow
06-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Oh that .

Yeah that.
So if awareness is important, then aware of awareness would be important and aware of the unawareness (if that is a word, if not it is now )would also be important because that becomes part of awareness that your aware of as being important. And really this all began because you were aware that you wanted to make something stand out that in your own view is important. I am aware of this and them being aware of something for them which just happens to be awareness.

When does it end I wonder?

naturesflow
06-12-2015, 09:17 AM
with an open mind, anything can be a possibility.

Or impossible? But then is impossible part of not having an open mind I wonder? How do you determine and open mind? Closed and open is just perception of something occurring and you creating a comparison to something you know and feel and then create and idea that it is this way or that. I guess we all do this.

I AM
07-12-2015, 02:16 AM
Being. Without that, awareness is without venue.

With out awareness would being be known?

I AM
07-12-2015, 02:19 AM
water? ;)

Hmmm......

wstein
07-12-2015, 04:44 AM
With out awareness would being be known? Sure, knowing is separate from awareness. Knowings come in many ways. Mediation is the most known method directly knowing 'things'.

engellstein
07-12-2015, 04:55 AM

Happiness.

naturesflow
07-12-2015, 04:59 AM
Sure, knowing is separate from awareness. Knowings come in many ways. Mediation is the most known method directly knowing 'things'.

You mean as in conflict and resolution and how you build awareness through this means?

wstein
07-12-2015, 07:18 AM
Sure, knowing is separate from awareness. Knowings come in many ways. Mediation is the most known method <to> directly knowing 'things'. You mean as in conflict and resolution and how you build awareness through this means? I do not understand your question, so probably not.

naturesflow
07-12-2015, 11:14 AM
I do not understand your question, so probably not.

Well what did you mean by mediation?

Gem
07-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Yeah that.
So if awareness is important, then aware of awareness would be important and aware of the unawareness (if that is a word, if not it is now )would also be important because that becomes part of awareness that your aware of as being important. And really this all began because you were aware that you wanted to make something stand out that in your own view is important. I am aware of this and them being aware of something for them which just happens to be awareness.

When does it end I wonder?
I actually said it isn't important and neither is anything else, but I think awareness of awareness is the way awareness is, and it would not be awareness if were not 'aware itself'. I know from a personal perspective there are a lot of distractions so the attention is following objects and isn't grounded in it's source, which is of course, awareness.

My view isn't important, and mostly I just think something and a minute later it's gone. The dogmatic view is given importance, and that's why we find people so inflexible.

I think we belittle these thing by saying that they are important, because it is more than that while having nothing to do with it, so it's a mute comparison. The more pertinent issue is, what is true.

I'm going along and it struck me suddenly, like, 'I'm aware I am aware, but I knew that already' - without the slightest fanfare, oh that.

I like this guy, Robert (or is it Rupert) Spira, who is one of those satsang type spiritual teachers. He asks the question 'are you aware?'. I heard him say that he was inspired by Ramana's self inquiry, which was 'who am I'. Ramana said if you constantly inquire you will find out who you are fer realz. He claimed that if you place attention on what you are, that would silence all the other thoughts, and lead to self-realisation. He was very influential and from him followed Nisagadatta, and from him Papaji, and from him Mooji and Gangaji - and more recently Spira (I'm sure there are more).

Spira would ask, are you aware? The person would answer, yes, of course. Spira would then say, where did you go to see if you were aware? That's pretty much his adaption of what Ramana meant by self inquiry.

jonesboy
07-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Here is a video from Rupert Spira that I liked for a long time.

http://youtu.be/Lb3PzxwEKCQ

I AM
07-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Sure, knowing is separate from awareness. Knowings come in many ways. Mediation is the most known method directly knowing 'things'.

If I'm not aware of what I know then what good is it?

Maby my definition of awareness differs from yours?

For me awareness is what you are aware of, if I'm not aware of it then it doesn't exist for me.

If I directly know something then I am probably aware of knowing it, or how do I even know that I know something?

wstein
08-12-2015, 01:44 AM
Well what did you mean by mediation? Meditation is a practice of focus and introspection. There is a whole section on it in the forums here.

wstein
08-12-2015, 01:56 AM
If I'm not aware of what I know then what good is it? Are you aware of how exactly how you move your muscles in order to balance and walk? Assuming you can walk, clearly you know how. What good it that?

For me awareness is what you are aware of, if I'm not aware of it then it doesn't exist for me. There is huge amounts of brain research showing that vastly more is in your subconscious than your conscious (the part that s 'aware') is aware of. It affects your life in countless ways. It forms the basis for most of the choices you make every day. It also just 'handles' many activities your conscious mind doesn't have the interest or ability to deal with.

Really, so you don't sleep becasue you are not aware during that part of the day?

If I directly know something then I am probably aware of knowing it, or how do I even know that I know something? This is probably the source of the confusion. To directly know something means that you acquire the knowledge without consciously or awarely acquiring it. For instance much cultural 'standards' are acquired this way. It is absorbed primarily via experience most of which we pay no conscious attention. Occasionally we do consciously note it at the time of acquisition or later become aware of knowing something after its 'use' or 'recall'.

Are you aware of how your brain works? Are you aware of how your cells work. Are you aware how it it that you are alive?

I AM
08-12-2015, 02:05 AM
Are you aware of how exactly how you move your muscles in order to balance and walk? Assuming you can walk, clearly you know how. What good it that?

There is huge amounts of brain research showing that vastly more is in your subconscious than your conscious (the part that s 'aware') is aware of. It affects your life in countless ways. It forms the basis for most of the choices you make every day. It also just 'handles' many activities your conscious mind doesn't have the interest or ability to deal with.

Really, so you don't sleep becasue you are not aware during that part of the day?

This is probably the source of the confusion. To directly know something means that you acquire the knowledge without consciously or awarely acquiring it. For instance much cultural 'standards' are acquired this way. It is absorbed primarily via experience most of which we pay no conscious attention. Occasionally we do consciously note it at the time of acquisition or later become aware of knowing something after its 'use' or 'recall'.

Are you aware of how your brain works? Are you aware of how your cells work. Are you aware how it it that you are alive?

Valid points my friend.

I AM
08-12-2015, 02:34 AM
This has ben an interesting thread.

adamkade
08-12-2015, 02:38 AM

Chocolate.

adamkade
08-12-2015, 02:44 AM
I actually said it isn't important and neither is anything else, but I think awareness of awareness is the way awareness is, and it would not be awareness if were not 'aware itself'. I know from a personal perspective there are a lot of distractions so the attention is following objects and isn't grounded in it's source, which is of course, awareness.

My view isn't important, and mostly I just think something and a minute later it's gone. The dogmatic view is given importance, and that's why we find people so inflexible.

I think we belittle these thing by saying that they are important, because it is more than that while having nothing to do with it, so it's a mute comparison. The more pertinent issue is, what is true.

I'm going along and it struck me suddenly, like, 'I'm aware I am aware, but I knew that already' - without the slightest fanfare, oh that.

I like this guy, Robert (or is it Rupert) Spira, who is one of those satsang type spiritual teachers. He asks the question 'are you aware?'. I heard him say that he was inspired by Ramana's self inquiry, which was 'who am I'. Ramana said if you constantly inquire you will find out who you are fer realz. He claimed that if you place attention on what you are, that would silence all the other thoughts, and lead to self-realisation. He was very influential and from him followed Nisagadatta, and from him Papaji, and from him Mooji and Gangaji - and more recently Spira (I'm sure there are more).

Spira would ask, are you aware? The person would answer, yes, of course. Spira would then say, where did you go to see if you were aware? That's pretty much his adaption of what Ramana meant by self inquiry.

I remember a wise person saying to me: The fool who understands himself to be a fool because wise. Similarly, an unaware person who asks himself, am I unaware? begins to find awareness.

naturesflow
08-12-2015, 04:16 AM
Meditation is a practice of focus and introspection. There is a whole section on it in the forums here.

You said mediation not meditation, sorry your mistake, but I guessed you meant meditation all the same.

wstein
08-12-2015, 06:52 AM
You said mediation not meditation, sorry your mistake, but I guessed you meant meditation all the same. Bummer, sometimes spell check doesn't save me :( Sorry for the confusion.

naturesflow
08-12-2015, 07:07 AM
Bummer, sometimes spell check doesn't save me :( Sorry for the confusion.

Not a problem at all.

Saved by spellcheck is a godsend for my lousy spelling..