PDA

View Full Version : Revealing too much

TheDivine
15-01-2011, 07:31 AM
This evening I may have hurt someone by revealing too much about my spiritual life, and I didn't mean to. He was intimidated by what he perceived to be my advanced nature, and became envious and jealous. I don't see myself as advanced, but just as someone on a journey like anyone else who is delving into their spirituality. I was turning to him because I needed someone to talk to about my experiences. Instead, he walked away feeling inferior and unworthy, and I feel really bad. I wasn't being preachy at all... I was just telling a story about something that happened to me.

Jealousy is just a form of fear... it's a fear that you can't achieve something, or that you are going to lose something dear to you. Envy is desire. It is wanting something really bad. Both of those can easily turn to hate if you aren't careful, and I was feeling it a bit from him in that moment. I felt unsure of what to do. The more I tried to let him know that he can achieve his own unique experiences too, the more frustrated he seemed to become. We had to end the conversation and walk away.

Has anyone ever had this happen before? How do you know when it is or isn't okay to reveal certain things? Apparently I am not good at gauging what people can and can't handle. At the same time, should I have to hide who I am? I don't know what to do. :(

blackfellawhitefella
15-01-2011, 08:40 AM
too easy Divine.

you'll be right.

relax.

let go of your angst about the exchange , now.

accept your responsibility
(his as well, if your extra brave)

... continue being who you are.

allow your debrief to turn up in its appropriate time
(ie ... don't 'trap' yourself in a thoughting loop over it)

continue being who you are

sounds like two diamonds being polished to me.

Deusdrum
15-01-2011, 09:10 AM
DivineLove - Spirituality isn't a competition. For me, i always test the waters with people by a little thing here, a little thing there, just to see how they react. If i detect too much ego, then i will keep things to myself. I mean in public anyways, these forums i'm all over the map.

The most important quality i feel regardless of anything else is a person's level of compassion, sincerity of heart. Do you trust them as a friend? That is the primary question relating to this imo.

I have a friend who i will bang heads with a lot with Spiritual subjects, but also anything else, and we take our turns i think too with undercurrents of jealousy a bit, but at the end of the day, we both have mutual respect and love for each, and if a person cares about you truly, then that is the whole basis of whether you can trust them with sharing your personal experiences, good, they are happy for you, bad they are concerned or supportive. Bottom line basically for me.

Don't stress over it too much, just take it as a lesson learned, ask yourself maybe what was the purpose of the exchange trying to show you?

My 2 cents. . ~

Deusdrum
15-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Actually to be clear, it is more envy sometimes on my part, i can honestly say i don't really get jealous anymore. But who knows, maybe i am fooling myself somewhat with that. Suffice it to say, regardless of how advanced one perceives anyone or themselves to be (im not suggesting you do this, just saying in general) it is important mainly to recognize the unity we have with each other, and also recognize that, in my opinion, everyone has something to teach each other, so humility is a big thing to me, in any kind of situation in dealing with others, respecting that we haven't walked in their shoes, being able to pay attention to what we may have to offer each other, because it will reveal itself, if we are open and receptive to the flow of the relationship, however brief or long it may turn out to be.

. ~

bbr
15-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Has anyone ever had this happen before?Only dozens of times, haha! :smile: I learned long ago to keep my mouth shut when it comes to speaking about spiritual things to people who really don't want to know about that stuff. Pearls before swine, etc.

shepherd
15-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Sometimes from an exchange whether it's on here or with someone in person there is a "negative reaction".

We can't control how another perceives what we say or how they will take it, we can though work out if our communication style needs to change in certain places. It's also worth noting that spiritual beliefs are deeply personal and sometimes honesty about perceptions will simply just cause offence, which is odd but it's a risk when being open spiritually.

What can you take from that experience and do differently next time?

bbr
15-01-2011, 11:55 AM
We can't control how another perceives what we say or how they will take itTrue. However, we can usually get a sense of how they might react even before we start to share. Call it intuition or call it being able to read people, but I pretty much know when and when not to talk about spiritual things to others. Most people give off very clear signals as to how willing and open they are to conversations of that sort.

You say we can't control how others react, and I say we can control our compulsion to talk about things that others clearly have little interest in discussing.

Gem
15-01-2011, 11:59 AM
This evening I may have hurt someone by revealing too much about my spiritual life,

I heard this really kewl quote:

"Thre are two important rules in life: 1) never tell anyone everything at once."
Ventura

'and I didn't mean to. He was intimidated by what he perceived to be my advanced nature, and became envious and jealous. I don't see myself as advanced, but just as someone on a journey like anyone else who is delving into their spirituality. I was turning to him because I needed someone to talk to about my experiences. Instead, he walked away feeling inferior and unworthy, and I feel really bad. I wasn't being preachy at all... I was just telling a story about something that happened to me.

Jealousy is just a form of fear... it's a fear that you can't achieve something, or that you are going to lose something dear to you. Envy is desire. It is wanting something really bad. Both of those can easily turn to hate if you aren't careful, and I was feeling it a bit from him in that moment. I felt unsure of what to do. The more I tried to let him know that he can achieve his own unique experiences too, the more frustrated he seemed to become. We had to end the conversation and walk away.

Has anyone ever had this happen before? How do you know when it is or isn't okay to reveal certain things? Apparently I am not good at gauging what people can and can't handle. At the same time, should I have to hide who I am? I don't know what to do. :(

I think say some small thing and if he is curious about it, allow him to ask.

shepherd
15-01-2011, 12:09 PM
True. However, we can usually get a sense of how they might react even before we start to share. Call it intuition or call it being able to read people, but I pretty much know when and when not to talk about spiritual things to others. Most people give off very clear signals as to how willing and open they are to conversations of that sort.

You say we can't control how others react, and I say we can control our compulsion to talk about things that others clearly have little interest in discussing.

True in some cases but often it's hard to tell what would cause someone to react unless you are fully aware of their belief system. What you can be mindful of is your reaction to their reaction.

NightSpirit
15-01-2011, 12:17 PM
It's called energy. If you tune into it, you will feel it and be able to read anothers aura...that part of them thats broadcasting their feelings back to you. You only need to be aware of this and take notice of it. When the energy is withdrawn, you will notice the changes. When this happens, read it and believe in what you're picking up....most important!
When the energy is withdrawn or falls away...change the subject...don't keep flogging a dead horse...the subject is complete...move on and know this is the wisest thing you just did.

bbr
15-01-2011, 12:19 PM
True in some cases but often it's hard to tell what would cause someone to react unless you are fully aware of their belief system. What you can be mindful of is your reaction to their reaction.I agree with your second sentence in particular. That's probably the best advice overall one could give concerning the question the OP raised. What I'm saying though is we can prevent negative reactions from happening in the first place by controlling our own tendencies to start talking about spiritual matters. I for example generally don't speak about spiritual things unless the other person initiates the conversation. Then I know there's a common interest.

ROM
15-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Yeah, you just have to be careful with some people, they may not understand/find it hard to believe what you're saying, and they keep asking more questions and everything gets worse. You shouldn't have to hide who you are, but at the same time you don't have to brandish it around either. Some of my friends are really anti-spirituality etc, so I never talk to them about it or if it crops up I'll just keep quiet.

blackfellawhitefella
15-01-2011, 12:58 PM
agree with the wise advice on timing , tempo and connection in communication.

but , pseudo boundaries are constructed around political , social and spiritual correctness issues continually

..... if 'being yourself' (whilst meeting self demanded integrity considerations) crosses boundaries

.... well , at the end of the day , it's tough ******* for the fence sitters , as far as i can see.

we can only be our integrity ... so get on with it ... regardless, and let the skittles stand or fall as they do.

not an approach i'd recommend for the faint hearted ... but then , who desires to end up having lived on the fence.

NightSpirit
15-01-2011, 01:01 PM
not an approach i'd recommend for the faint hearted ... but then , who desires to end up having lived on the fence.

Especially if the tips are pointy...oUCh! :D

Gem
15-01-2011, 01:11 PM
agree with the wise advice on timing , tempo and connection in communication.

but , pseudo boundaries are constructed around political , social and spiritual correctness issues continually

..... if 'being yourself' (whilst meeting self demanded integrity considerations) crosses boundaries

.... well , at the end of the day , it's tough ******* for the fence sitters , as far as i can see.

we can only be our integrity ... so get on with it ... regardless, and let the skittles stand or fall as they do.

I think it is kind to be considerate of others, and being youself is not to impose on someone, and to take some delicate care is good when handling fragile situations.

Sometimes better to stepback and let it rest for a while, and things settle in their place.

Miss Hepburn
15-01-2011, 01:13 PM
This evening I may have hurt someone by revealing too much about my spiritual life, and I didn't mean to. He was intimidated by what he perceived to be my advanced nature, and became envious and jealous. I don't see myself as advanced, but just as someone on a journey like anyone else who is delving into their spirituality. I was turning to him because I needed someone to talk to about my experiences. Instead, he walked away feeling inferior and unworthy, and I feel really bad. I wasn't being preachy at all... I was just telling a story about something that happened to me.

Yes, it is also a form of low-self esteem ---boils down to fear, tho.

My old, ex guru taught us not to talk about our meditation experiences for this very reason - others might get discouraged or jealous - thus, minimizing their own simply perfect experience unique for them.

Often, I could say - well obviously I or she needed to have an amazing experience to get my/their attention bec they or I was so scattered, "You however are having a sweet experience created especially for you on your beautiful Path.
All is good.
All is as it's supposed to be.
"You are probably in a higher place bec you don't need bangs and whistles.
You have a quiet inner knowing." That helps to say that, alot.
Gives it a different spin or perspective. :)

One sees angels, the other doesn't - so.

It's all about heart anyway.
Jealousy is an emotion that takes our focus away from our Beloved.
Thus, separation; thus, the definition of sin.

:smile: Miss Hepburn

bbr
15-01-2011, 01:14 PM

.... well , at the end of the day , it's tough ******* for the fence sitters , as far as i can see.Of course, and nicely put! :smile: But you know, I don't do "shaking people awake" anymore. Twenty years ago I was all gungho to spread the spiritual word and to show everyone how groovy I was from a spiritually-conscious perspective. Now, to me, it's just more clatter in an already screaming, shrieking, blaring world of verbal and electronic white noise.

blackfellawhitefella
15-01-2011, 01:18 PM
:smile: @ns

i've got a 'lack' of a divine intervention story about a young me and a fence if ya wanna here it :)

includes lots and lots of pain , dragging myself across a lawn into the garden bed to hide and much crying.

:( , eeeek ... i actually wish i hadn't remembered that

NightSpirit
15-01-2011, 01:26 PM
:smile: @ns

i've got a 'lack' of a divine intervention story about a young me and a fence if ya wanna here it :)

includes lots and lots of pain , dragging myself across a lawn into the garden bed to hide and much crying.

:( , eeeek ... i actually wish i hadn't remembered that

Oh dear! I'm all ears.....

athribiristan
15-01-2011, 01:34 PM
My general policy is not to even mention my spiritual journey to people unless they ask or I am in a setting where sharing is the theme, like if I were giving a talk or something then obviously I need to share a bit.

My dad (not a Christian) used to quote the bible on this one:

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."

Matthew 7:6

I'm not a Christian either but the words reflect my experiences well enough, and I love old English. As for your friend, he will most likely be OK after he has had some time to reflect. He may even come to you with questions later. Just bear in mind that even though he may not yet realize it, he is also an immortal being who is ultimately responsible for himself and not matter how we might want to help him, it is HIS journey. It may take lifetimes for him to even wake up to his spirituality.

With Love,
ahtribiristan

blackfellawhitefella
15-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Oh dear! I'm all ears.....
lol
yea.

so was i nearly.

all ears , i mean.

mumma mia ... boys and fences are not a good pairing!

But you know, I don't do "shaking people awake" anymore.

yep ... we touch lives simply by being who we are.
the rest is G.O.D.s business.

what struck me about The Divine's experience , was that his initial desire to communicate sprang from 'his' need to share.

shepherd
15-01-2011, 02:07 PM
what struck me about The Divine's experience , was that his initial desire to communicate sprang from 'his' need to share

Need or just excited about their experience? We are all human and if we experience something divine, beautiful etc then sharing that is simply part of being in a community. It would be very easy for the ego theories to pop up but would that be necessary?

NightSpirit
15-01-2011, 02:11 PM
lol
yea.

so was i nearly.

all ears , i mean.

mumma mia ... boys and fences are not a good pairing!

yep ... we touch lives simply by being who we are.
the rest is G.O.D.s business.

what struck me about The Divine's experience , was that his initial desire to communicate sprang from 'his' need to share.

aye..yi..yi ...the imagination is rampant..ouch!!! :icon_eek:

As for 'his need to share'.....we all like to share an exciting experience at times. Spiritual discovery gives rise to enthusiasm and thrill. We desire to share those out...tell the whole world..shout it out! ...so to speak. Part of the awakening process is to know when to speak and when to remain silent. TheDivine has brought this experience to him so that he will learn when to be Still.

blackfellawhitefella
15-01-2011, 02:20 PM
I was turning to him because I needed someone to talk to about my experiences.

these were his words.

he knows the truth (or not) of them.

and he certainly wouldn't be the first in need of a sounding board / shoulder to lean on.

nor the first who spoke to the wrong person , but thereby gaining the right lesson / expansion opportunity out of the experience

bbr
15-01-2011, 02:26 PM
"We are all human and if we experience something divine, beautiful etc then sharing that is simply part of being in a community."

"we all like to share an exciting experience at times. Spiritual discovery gives rise to enthusiasm and thrill. We desire to share those out...tell the whole world..shout it out!"

That's fine. But again, you're setting yourself up for the exact same experience TheDivine went through. I would say the majority of people I've met in this world have a real disinterest in spirituality. And many even have a serious aversion to it, and to anyone who "shouts out" at them. I've learned to keep it to myself. And why not? It's my journey. It's personal, and I don't need to share it with anyone. It's like everything else in this world: if you're questioning why someone reacted negatively to something you did, look to your own actions first, rather than blaming them for _____________ (fill in the blank).

shepherd
15-01-2011, 02:40 PM
That's fine. But again, you're setting yourself up for the exact same experience TheDivine went through. I would say the majority of people I've met in this world have a real disinterest in spirituality. And many even have a serious aversion to it, and to anyone who "shouts out" at them. I've learned to keep it to myself. And why not? It's my journey. It's personal, and I don't need to share it with anyone. It's like everything else in this world: if you're questioning why someone reacted negatively to something you did, look to your own actions first, rather than blaming them for _____________ (fill in the blank).

Ooops I should have mentioned that sharing it with someone you hope would relate or understand is natural and not just about "need". Gives me the creeps that word LOL..must be the way it's used as an egoic thing, not that I really worry about egoic labels.

Gem
15-01-2011, 03:02 PM
For me, I usually talk a bit and see if people are curious, and if they are they ask me, so I tell some more,

Then...

I ask them stuff about them and they are happy to talk.

:smile:

Kapitan_Prien
15-01-2011, 03:08 PM
TheDivine: This evening I may have hurt someone by revealing too much about my spiritual life, and I didn't mean to. He was intimidated by what he perceived to be my advanced nature, and became envious and jealous. I don't see myself as advanced, but just as someone on a journey like anyone else who is delving into their spirituality. I was turning to him because I needed someone to talk to about my experiences. Instead, he walked away feeling inferior and unworthy, and I feel really bad. I wasn't being preachy at all... I was just telling a story about something that happened to me.

Yes - too many times, but instead I find myself attacked. I understand your predicament with hiding who you are - neither can I hide who I am - Gunther-Heinrich Prien is my identity and I plan to change my name when the time is right.

But what you bring up is one reason why I don't talk about it much anymore and only bring up new things when there is a good reason to.

Uhmar
15-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I think if you have to approach a relationship with so much trepidation then you are somehow putting rust on the experience before it even begins.

To me you are only responsible for your actions and feelings.
They are resposible for theirs.
If you approached them with good will..intent to help them and be kind. then you did a good thing
If they chose to not accept your goodness and chose to turn it into ego based fear and jealousy then they have to own it and deal with it.

Don't change who you are to suit anothers needs ..then you become false.
In accepting others differences we find the beauty in the real person not the personification.

To me the sad thing with this issue is the other person is missing out on a possible mentor and teacher who could have helped themd.

TheDivine
15-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I think the thing that makes this a bit more complicated (and I didn't mention this before) is that we are also romantically involved, so there are some heart strings attached. I do want things to work out between us as I like him a lot. At the same time, I think the same boundaries that people mentioned still apply, regardless if we're just friends or more. It's not my job (within reason) to be a filter for someone else. I can only be myself and it is their job to assert what they want, and to filter what I say accordingly.

I used to really pay too much attention to what "might hurt others" and as a result I never spoke my truth. I remained silent. It took half my lifetime to realize that silence is also hurting people because I am withholding knowledge that may help others in key ways that I may not even be aware of.

As long as you have good intentions and the things you say come from the heart, I think it's important to express yourself freely.

Thanks everyone for your advice. This clarifies things a lot.

lemex
15-01-2011, 08:51 PM

People are stronger then you think. I've done this as well. I've also been told things I didn't want to hear but then I asked. If I had the opportunity and saw this person today I would thank them.

You challenged certain perceptions but didn't change them. What happened is a response. Really you may find they may even come back to talk to you about it. Though it's true truth sets you free the thing is the person did not come to you and you see the results of this actions even if it is short term pain. It may be some subtle form destined the need was there to be told. But I wouldn't peruse that which you think is negative. And it's ok for you to apologize for the error and reconcile. I'm sure he'll forget anyway......:smile:

Ciqala
16-01-2011, 06:07 AM
I often feel like I hurt people by revealing too much about my spirituality and it really hurts me in the end... like my own family, they don't believe in what I believe, they are kind of atheistic, and sometimes I get so excited and forget to not reveal things, like this really horrible time, i told my mom, that one of our passed relatives had come to me, i thought it would make her happy to know, i really thought i was going to make her happy, because my experience with them was happy, but it only made her sad. I felt so horrible after making that mistake. it's really tough trying to not reveal about a huge part of my life, to my own family, and i often feel so bad when i do reveal things. It's also hard keeping things a secret, and i don't really have many other people to reveal those things to. I'm not sure how to deal with it, i just try to keep it revealed as much as i can so i don't hurt them anymore.

bbr
16-01-2011, 09:14 AM
It took half my lifetime to realize that silence is also hurting people because I am withholding knowledge that may help others in key ways that I may not even be aware of.

As long as you have good intentions and the things you say come from the heart, I think it's important to express yourself freely.TheDivine, as long as you go about life believing you have an obligation to "share your knowledge" in order to "help others," then you're going to run into the sort of communication difficulities and misunderstandings you outlined in your first post. I'm not chiding you or correcting you here, all I'm saying is that with additude, it's pretty clear that much if not all of this is of your own making. You can't force your views and beliefs on others, and then bemoan the fact they took things the wrong way, etc.

bbr
16-01-2011, 09:17 AM
i don't really have many other people to reveal those things to. I'm not sure how to deal with itHi Ciqala. When I read that, my inmmediate thought was why do you feel the need to reveal anything to anyone? Isn't living the experience of your own journey enough? Also, we share and affect others by simply living our beliefs each day in happiness and joy. Nothing else is required.

NightSpirit
16-01-2011, 09:27 AM
TheDivine, [QUOTE]I'm not chiding you or correcting you here, all I'm saying is that with additude, it's pretty clear that much if not all of this is of your own making.

bbr..tsk..tsk! I see this as judgement of another.

Each person lives for each moment..there is no other...and do what they feel is right for them in that moment. Whatever that is, we learn from it as we go. Is there a right or wrong way? As long as there's no deliberate intent to hurt another and it's done in good faith and not for any other reasons, then it is as it should be in that moment.

We can only do our best and leave the rest.

Gem
16-01-2011, 09:33 AM
TheDivine, as long as you go about life believing you have an obligation to "share your knowledge" in order to "help others," then you're going to run into the sort of communication difficulities and misunderstandings you outlined in your first post. I'm not chiding you or correcting you here, all I'm saying is that with additude, it's pretty clear that much if not all of this is of your own making. You can't force your views and beliefs on others, and then bemoan the fact they took things the wrong way, etc.

People I know and my family think spiritual stuff is just insane people believing in delusions, and largely I agree with that.

I live in a spiritual fashion and they ask me about meditation or whatever and I answer, but I keep it concise.

I have no need to be overtly 'like wow amazing' and bore people who really aren't interested.

Ask people about them, that's how I roll.

Emmalevine
16-01-2011, 09:41 AM
My mum shares similar beliefs so I can share what I'm experiencing with her to some extent although we're not overly close as a rule. I also have a close friend who is on a similar path so I'm really lucky I can talk to her about it. Aside from that I don't really discuss much with others apart from general philosophies such as how our thoughts affect our lives, but I only mention those with the right people at the appropriate time. I don't really feel a strong need to share as I've always been introverted, but it's nice to have a few people around who are on my wavelength.

bbr
16-01-2011, 09:45 AM
bbr..tsk..tsk! I see this as judgement of another.

Each person lives for each moment..there is no other...and do what they feel is right for them in that moment. Whatever that is, we learn from it as we go. Is there a right or wrong way? As long as there's no deliberate intent to hurt another and it's done in good faith and not for any other reasons, then it is as it should be in that moment.

We can only do our best and leave the rest.And as long as you choose to view my observations and suggestions from a negative perspective, then the longer you can avoid the point I continue to make.

Do what you will, yes, Go ahead. Share your spiritual thoughts with people. Shout it out to the world.

Just don't come back here and start a thread about how the world did you an injustice by misunderstanding you or whatever. Because at that point, all of that antipathy directed your way is completely of your own making.

NightSpirit
16-01-2011, 09:48 AM
And as long as you choose to view my observations and suggestions from a negative perspective, then the longer you can avoid the point I continue to make.

Do what you will, yes, Go ahead. Share your spiritual thoughts with people. Shout it out to the world.

Just don't come back here and start a thread about how the world did you an injustice by misunderstanding you or whatever. Because all of that antipathy directed your way is completely of your own making.

Kind sir...I will say right now that I dont do this. You have just made another judgement of a person you know nothing about.
I wonder why this thread is triggering such judgemental negative responses in you? Perhaps its something for you to reflect on?

bbr
16-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Kind sir...Please don't feign friendliness and then continue with the passive-aggressive and personal comments, Nightspirit. That really is dishonesy of the worst kind. I made my point several times over. If it's not your cup of tea, ignore it and move on.

Gem
16-01-2011, 09:59 AM
My mum shares similar beliefs so I can share what I'm experiencing with her to some extent although we're not overly close as a rule. I also have a close friend who is on a similar path so I'm really lucky I can talk to her about it. Aside from that I don't really discuss much with others apart from general philosophies such as how our thoughts affect our lives, but I only mention those with the right people at the appropriate time. I don't really feel a strong need to share as I've always been introverted, but it's nice to have a few people around who are on my wavelength.

That souds like a lovely balanced perspective.

Ciqala
16-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi Ciqala. When I read that, my inmmediate thought was why do you feel the need to reveal anything to anyone? Isn't living the experience of your own journey enough? Also, we share and affect others by simply living our beliefs each day in happiness and joy. Nothing else is required.

Yeah it would be nice if i could view it that way, it would make it easier. But it's really hard trying to keep my life a secret around my own family. I love my family dearly, and they just don't understand my beliefs, i can't force them to, so i try to just hide everything about myself from them, but i long to be able to have an open and honest relationship with them.
Yeah true, they can see that i am doing so well as a result of my spirituality, and they enjoy that... but i still wish i could confide in my parents about things, because i'm still young... Like sometimes, i go through some spiritual struggles, and i have nobody to go to - it feels sad that i can't even talk to my mom about it because i'm always afraid it will upset her.

As for other people, i don't really reveal myself to other people in real life. I don't actually enjoy being around people. My spiritual growth makes me more isolated, but i am content that way.
But i think it would be nice to meet other spiritual person in real life, so that i can share interests. I am quite the lone wolf naturally, and i'm not a social person, i am not really fond of being around people, and when i do go around other people i'm usually anti social or the complete opposite and make obscene social mistakes, but it would be very amazing to have someone to relate to once in a while.

bbr
16-01-2011, 10:12 AM
But i think it would be nice to meet other spiritual person in real life, so that i can share interests.Yes I understand that for sure. But you live on Vancouver Island of all places. There isn't a more spiritually-oriented center in all Canada. Hard to believe you have a problem there but, if so, why not take a yoga class or join a meditation group, etc?

Ciqala
16-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Yes I understand that for sure. But you live on Vancouver Island of all places. There isn't a more spiritually-oriented center in all Canada. Hard to believe you have a problem there but, if so, why not take a yoga class or join a meditation group, etc?

There are a lot of places on the island.
Where is all the spiritual stuff located? My community, Courtenay, has a wide diversity of people, it's one of the biggest towns, besides Naniamo, and it's a small town, you can recognize everyone you see, wherever you go, it is full of drunks, narcotic users, and i'm pretty sure most of the population is homeless, it's also a retirement community for stuck up rich people, the K'omoks rez is quite sewn shut, it's now a huge tourist attraction only during the summers, some people come during the winter because Mount Washington is becoming famous, the native friendship centre is falling apart, the closest you get to "spiritual" is all the hippies that live on the little islands around this island, sometimes you can find some tai chi classes, and some yoga classes held by really young people who don't stick to the traditional way, but that's about it. Courtenay is growing, they are putting in some fancy stores around town, but it's not quite big enough to have spiritual things, apparently it's going to keep growing and will expand major amounts. If you want to look for crystals, there's only two rock shops in town. There is only one spiritual store in town. Oh and theres Zen Zero, you can get some healthy smoothies and raw food, and sometimes people post some of their owned spiritual businesses. The closest to spiritual really, is the few natural health food stores. Only recently, have we finally seen more races than just white and the few natives, but hopefully, if the good thing about Courtenay growing, is that it will include more spiritual awareness with it, and I'm quite excited to eventually see more people that i don't know while walking around town.
The cool thing about BC in general, is that during the summers, there are many native spiritual events that go on, and multiculturalism is good with that. HAha accept the one time the mayor of the town pronounced Metis wrong in front of everyone, that was a funny national aboriginal days.
And the comox valley is tightly entwined, even with black creek. So when people come, they get confused, but the comox valley, includes Courtenay, comox, and i think cumberland, which we just call scumberland, it's the major druggy town, but it has some very neat shops.
Very sorry, i just rambled way off topic there.

athribiristan
16-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Ask people about them, that's how I roll.

As L. Ron Hubbard said "Be interested, not interesting."

With Love,
athribiristan