PDA

View Full Version : The Variety: What Works?

Gem
14-01-2011, 06:01 AM
I become concerned sometimes that people who wish to begin meditation practice are exposed to an overwhelming ammount of advice, it's confusing.

I think of it like... we don't teach blackbelt techniques to one who began his training today, he could not do advanced martial arts, so we only show him the first stance.

I often wonder:

- Why does a person wish to begin meditation practice?

:smile:

Ciqala
14-01-2011, 06:47 AM
Not really understanding the question here but
I wished my instructor taught me black belt techniques!!!!! even though i'm only at orange belt level, and there you see, the whole reason i need to begin meditation practice, to slow down my mind, to conquer impatience, slow down my body too, i got a little out of control with martial arts, a little too addicted, whereas the whole first steps of most martial arts, which is interesting you used that as a metaphor, is to comprehend body, mind, spirit, and meditation is also sometimes ingrained to the practice of using the body - properly. I wished to begin meditating because my mind was out of control, and so was my body.

And I personally, find a whole lot of overwhelming advice very good, because you can pick and choose between meditative practices - which is the best thing to do - because different meditation techniques work well for different individuals.

My mother, just got me a book called "The Complete Idiots Guide to Zen Living" :D It is actually more informative than it sounds. It's very helpful in the beginning stages of learning to meditate, and has many simple meditation exercises, explained, and even covers how to be all zen and stuff during every day life. I quite enjoy the book. It has some bits of humour to make the complexity of facts quite amusing to read and comprehend.

Oh and if anyones interested in the book - you know you are!! :) the author is Gary R. McClain, and Eve Adamson

Ivy
14-01-2011, 02:27 PM
- Why does a person wish to begin meditation practice?

:smile:

It was a response for an inner need to be open again after some years of shutting myself away.

How about you gem?

Silver
14-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Too easy, Gem.

I was drawn to learning to meditate for that "Calm Blue Ocean" thing.
My mind was spinning its wheels on probs. Don't need that.
I've found that even the most rudimentary unpolished meditation
beats a sharp stick in the eye or nothing at all for a calming effect
on my frazzled psyche.

Gem
14-01-2011, 02:59 PM
It was a response for an inner need to be open again after some years of shutting myself away.

How about you gem?

I could never understand why, but my imagination was such torment I was really clutching at straws.

My mind was squallid and panic stricken, harbouring all nature of terrible things, and I had problems thinking everyone could hear my thoughts, I was already dead but couldn't be sure, that I'd cheated death, was already a ghost, departed from truth and would cease to exist... all nature of things.

I was motivated by insanity and fear to begin meditation practice.

Ivy
14-01-2011, 05:44 PM
good thread gem x

Equinox
15-01-2011, 03:12 PM
My advice is to put the emphasis on SILENCE.

Some say you should just sit there and let the mind do whatever but I don't really agree with that.

Gem
15-01-2011, 03:28 PM
My advice is to put the emphasis on SILENCE.

Some say you should just sit there and let the mind do whatever but I don't really agree with that.

Is probably good to use words like silence, peace, calm and like that I think. I don't agree that just let the mind wander is much use. Best to focus and remain aware.

Why did you feel you should start meditation practice?

Mothwing
15-01-2011, 03:28 PM
I always thought there had to be some purpose to meditation, some aim or goal to accomplish. Then I read The Four Insights by Alberto Villoldo, in which he discusses the perception of the Sage. At this level, you simply empty your mind, and whenever you have a thought, you ask yourself, "Who is speaking?" And then you respond to yourself with, "Who is asking?" and that supposedly (and in my experience often does) induce your mind into brief silence.

So now I think I get it. Meditation is to clear the mind and simply be. Alligator came to me for this reason. Be still. Be silent. Be empty. Emptiness is not a bad thing. Emptiness makes space for the divine.

santacruz18
15-01-2011, 09:33 PM
While I am learning to do this presently, it seems to be easiest for "me" to meditate right before bed. Being tired encourages my mind to relax easier. The middle of the day, i'm wide awake and thinking about things that bother me and what I need to do next. I've been told a number of times to relax and breathe. Some days are easier than others.

Gem
16-01-2011, 06:45 AM
While I am learning to do this presently, it seems to be easiest for "me" to meditate right before bed. Being tired encourages my mind to relax easier. The middle of the day, i'm wide awake and thinking about things that bother me and what I need to do next. I've been told a number of times to relax and breathe. Some days are easier than others.

Why did you start meditation practice?