PDA

View Full Version : Do/Did you have a mentor?

Roselove
14-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Hello everyone! I only began learning about spirtuality about a year and a few months ago I have done a lot of research but there is so much out there so it's created a lot of spirtual dissonance, not sure what to believe what not to, people will say follow your intuition but since this is so far from the norm for me (i was an athiest) it's hard to tell lol

My question is did you have a mentor? or teacher? How did you handle your awakening/this process? It seems like everyone here that i've encountered seem to have accepted all of this peacefully and gracefully.. I feel like I am the only one having a difficult time with this, how the universe, karma reincarnation works etc.

I am thinking of looking for a mentor or counselor if i can find a good one as i maybe developing ablities in the future, seems i need some help

Xan
14-01-2011, 01:57 AM
I have had mentors and teachers in person, and now all my teaching and support comes from masters in the 'spirit guide' realm. This kind of mentoring is from the highest level of wisdom and is always available, night and day.

Xan

Roselove
14-01-2011, 02:34 AM
i see! thanks

dogninja
14-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Never had one. I have been looking for one for 5 years. I finally pay some one to hear me talk for 45 minutes a week, and now I pretend she is my mentor. At my best, I glean particles of truth from others.

I met a lot of people who rigidly conformed to spiritual trends, or were nuts..or both... so I have kept searching. Around a year ago I found a lecture series on gnosticradio.org and like to pretend that the lecturer is my mentor. I don't even know his name, but he speaks truth.

Roselove
14-01-2011, 02:59 AM
i see, yeah i think i'll just look for spirtual counseling. thanks

Uma
14-01-2011, 03:01 AM
Hi Rosewater,

I started out a skeptic, although I'd had experiences as a child with guides and other things...had a wake up call almost two decades ago, started reading books and experimenting with meditation, yoga and other things...eventually I met my mentor (all info on my blog site) without whom I would fall into many an ego trap. He's my best friend in the whole world and I thank God for sending such a divine being into my life. I feel sorry for people who have had bad experiences with gurus...I'm not one of them.

The journey is individual for everybody. If you really want a mentor, pray for one, and if God finds you deserving, one will appear when you are ready.

BTW my mentor says that the purpose of a mentor is to lead you within. I feel a karmic connection with my mentor's mission as well as to him, so I draw more from the association than someone else may want to. On the spiritual path there is always a guide who appears to transmit their wisdom and energy to you, like one candle lighting another....and in the case of an ongoing relationship, like a magnet helping an iron filing become magnetized. It may take several exposures to get all the atoms aligned. sorry to get technical....there's lots more to it.

and finally just to add that in life we have a succession of mentors starting with parents......

Roselove
14-01-2011, 03:30 AM
oh lovely.. i just think i need someone to provide some clarity on some issues and i guess maybe i may need to see a spirtual counselor since i'm having difficulty accepting the process.. I'm thinking it would prb be best to connect with my guides on this issue

Ciqala
14-01-2011, 05:45 AM
Personally, i don't see it a must, to find a mentor unless you want to delve into proper ceremonial practices, traditions, or if you believe you should follow a strict way on your path of becoming a healer, or if you really want guidance.

And when choosing a mentor, you must be very careful to find someone who is truly "good" and wise, in my past searches, i first, make sure that the mentor is old. Old age, is usually a great indicator that the elder has many years of experience you can learn from, and I am wary, about younger folks that claim to "know it all". If you can see their auras, it is very helpful, to see if they are truly what they claim to be. And using instinct, intuition.

Personally I firmly believe, any "mentor" that asks for money in exchange for teaching, is not a good mentor. A good mentor will know that spiritual practices are not for personal gain, spirit does not ask for money, and their best interest will be in guiding you, not taking your money. A really good spiritual mentor, does not make their teachings and spiritual practices a business in society. And I do not trust or agree with any of them who do.

Personally on my own path, learning and spiritual growth is better from my own experience, and i do not need a mentor, because usually (the answer to my own questions comes from within me in the end)

The best teachers, I have ever found, are my own spirit guides.

And I am very wary when it comes to finding mentors, because there are a lot of old teachers out there, that don't follow a good path. And you must go by, what you believe, not just what someone preaches to you, unless their teachings agree with your own. If you are always told what to do, you will never gain your own truth.

To be more on your subject, what do you mean difficulty accepting the process?

You could try out as many things as possible, on your own, for example, try out working with crystals, try out oracle cards - oracle cards can make a believer out of anyone, and are very easy to use and get answers. You can even ask your confused questions to a pendulum. Practice more meditation. Make an altar in your house. There are so many things and ideas and practices you can do, to strengthen the spiritual side of yourself. These things are what leads to clearer view and more answers.

You could do some more inner work, become more connected to your guides, and work on developing your intuition so it is stronger, then you will know the difference of your intuition. If you are just at the beginning stages of understanding intuition, then anything you hear from any which mentor - how are you going to know if it's the truth? You can easily be lied to. I personally, think, you should stick out your spiritual awakening for awhile before you look for teachers, just ask questions on these forums, try and sort out the confusion on the issues you are experiencing with guidance from people here, your spirit guides, and learning to look within more. That way, once you develop stronger intuition, you will know which mentor to trust. Spiritual awakening is usually confusing. It's not an easy process. But, eventually realization, after realization comes.

You can even ask your spirit guides, to send a mentor your way. Instead of picking one for yourself (which is what worries me mostly if you can't intuit well), just pray for guidance, ask them to send a mentor your way, and it will come. (if they feel it is in your best interest). I wouldn't know what is in your best interest.
Lots of people have different paths, and mentors seem fit for them and work out well.

psychoslice
14-01-2011, 06:35 AM
True unique Awakening has nothing to do with spiritual practices, its just Realizing your true nature or Self. I myself have never practiced anything spiritual other than finding my true Awareness. Once you have discovered your true Nature then you can if you like play around with all these spiritual toys that you see everywhere, but for me I don't need them.

Emmalevine
14-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I've seen a therapist for a while for emotional issues but I have regularly explored my spiritual life with her too because in all honesty it's impossible to separate emotional growth from the spiritual. I was fortunate in that she shared similar beliefs and outlook and was able to support me as I delved into my inner world and explored my spiritual path. I think it is helpful to have someone who can support you as you take the journey regardless of their label. It doesn't have to be a 'guru' or spiritual teacher because each of us knows best what is right for us and what our inner truth is. Sometimes we may expect others to have all the answers because they appear more knowledagable and wise but we're our own gurus within. Well that's what I believe anyway. But it can definitely help to find a supportive person or people to share your thoughts and experiences with.

Uma
14-01-2011, 02:07 PM
For guidance I use a combination of my own intuition, disembodied spiritual guides, my own tarot cards etc... It's not like I'm totally dependent on my physically embodied spiritual guide. In fact he discourages that or any kind of dependency. He lives in clear space, whereas I am not always in a clear space, so I am still affected by my mind. Whenever I'm doubtful about my intuition, if he's not too busy, he's available to help me clarify the guidance. And he alway tells me "WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IN THAT MOMENT." I have many friends on the path who are extremely psychic and resource their own intuition and guides but they are not right all the time. Only one who lives 100% in a pure space 100% of the time, with a purified ego, gives 100% reliable information. Of course such beings are not available 100% of the time, so we have other guides all around us, and the universe can use anybody and anything to guide us. We are guided powerfully through people and situations in our lives that bring up the issues we need to deal with, the lessons we need to learn etc... guiding us towards our own truth and the fulfillment of our own potential.

For example I love going to psychics and getting readings from people. Most of the time they are simply confirming what I have intuited already. Usually I would get a general consensus from a number of sources (because non of them are 100% reliable or 100% of the time) and I keep what feels useful and discard the rest. Sometimes the most meaningful guidance can come from a child, or a flower....anything...if you have the eyes to see it and are open minded enough to receive it.

So there are LOTS of choices to suit everybody's fancy. :wink:

Xan
14-01-2011, 05:28 PM
True unique Awakening has nothing to do with spiritual practices, its just Realizing your true nature or Self. I myself have never practiced anything spiritual other than finding my true Awareness. Once you have discovered your true Nature then you can if you like play around with all these spiritual toys that you see everywhere, but for me I don't need them.

Yes, but Robbie... You awakened by grace alone. Not all of us are so fortunate or so ripe for it so Grace brings us teachers and teachings and practices to ripen us.

Xan

athribiristan
14-01-2011, 07:28 PM
I was fortunate to have my father as my guide. He was so willing to offer information and answer questions but he never interfered. Having a parent who trusted me to follow MY process from such a young age was a true gift. Since then I have found God/divine counsciousness and have learned to trust my own intuition.

With Love,
athribiristan

Sira
14-01-2011, 08:16 PM
I have not had the pleasure of having a human guide; angels, Elohim and Pleiadians took charge of that job - lately also my higher self. I am happy they did, because now that I have been "allowed" to be part of forums, since 14 months now, I have found "a jungle of spiritual world". :D :hug3:

Moon Willow
14-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Hey Rosewater,
I found joining a small meditation group was a great place to start. I got to learn meditation (which helps you to teach yourself), it meant i was surrounded by like-minded people, and also gave me a taste of spirituality and what areas I would first like to explore.

Love & light,
Moon

pre-dawn
15-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Hello everyone! I only began learning about spirtuality about a year and a few months ago I have done a lot of research but there is so much out there so it's created a lot of spirtual dissonance, not sure what to believe what not to, people will say follow your intuition but since this is so far from the norm for me (i was an athiest) it's hard to tell lol

My question is did you have a mentor? or teacher? How did you handle your awakening/this process? It seems like everyone here that i've encountered seem to have accepted all of this peacefully and gracefully.. I feel like I am the only one having a difficult time with this, how the universe, karma reincarnation works etc.

I am thinking of looking for a mentor or counselor if i can find a good one as i maybe developing abilities in the future, seems i need some help I had plenty of teachers, some in person. However there is no shortage of remote teachers, people who teach via books, TV shows, the internet.
To start with, you don't need a teacher, you need a system that is understandable, looks as if it could make sense to you, and provides a structure for learning. Coming from atheism your real is logic and intellectual reasoning. Use that to your advantage in mapping your way forward.
IMO, to rely on intuition at the point you are now is no good whatsoever. From it you will likely get what makes you feel good but not what helps you in your quest.

Once you have settled on a system you can then look for a teacher who will work on the fine points and the sticky points too. Sticky points, that is the system points you just can't understand, or disagree with, are the growth points.

Stay away from what is popular and look for substance rather than fluff. Keep you feet on the ground while you have the head in the clouds, or hopefully above the clouds.

Guthee
15-01-2011, 11:35 AM
only mentors I have had so far was my yoga teacher for a year in high school and the shaman lady who did my healing and trainged me a little. mostly in journeying.

I like mentors :)