PDA

View Full Version : On Moving Forward After Losing Your Spiritual Rudder

Types With Fingers
05-11-2015, 08:19 PM
I come from a background where I've had little to no personal experience regarding spiritual subjects. As a result, I'm forced to rely on others when I have questions about life after death. This isn't comfortable for me, because it means putting my trust (and thus power) in the hands of others; trusting that what they say is true, that they're telling you all they know, and that they're looking out for your interest. That's a lot to take away from yourself and give to others.

Therefore, in my view, having personal experience is the foundation to living any particular worldview, because it's something you can't lose or give to others, but for me I doubt it can be forced to happen like using a crowbar to open a jammed box. So that leaves reading the posts, articles, and books of others. But what do you do when you've read a lot and you're just not satisfied with what you're reading?

Deepsoul
05-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Stop searching and as you say start living ,youve got to learn to trust a higher power, nobody knows the ulitimate truth of this reality you will do your head in trying to ,I

try to be thankful for the journey ,Ive had to learn to relax into it alot more as you can see you are still asking advice the best one you can ask is the Great One ....Yes

there are ways to reach IT ,meditation ,prayer ,Praise,It also resides within each of us, when you have it as your counsel alot of questions are answered, but some of the big ones I believe will always

be a Divine mystery....

sky
05-11-2015, 08:59 PM
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”

The Buddha.

TWF this might help you.

The Back Seat
05-11-2015, 09:00 PM
The external sources of spirituality are fine and all, but we will find the most benefit by examining the internal source. Spend time bringing that focus inward. Your inner soul may get lonely if you only search the external realms ;).

loopylucid
06-11-2015, 03:51 PM
I come from a background where I've had little to no personal experience regarding spiritual subjects. As a result, I'm forced to rely on others when I have questions about life after death. This isn't comfortable for me, because it means putting my trust (and thus power) in the hands of others; trusting that what they say is true, that they're telling you all they know, and that they're looking out for your interest. That's a lot to take away from yourself and give to others.

Therefore, in my view, having personal experience is the foundation to living any particular worldview, because it's something you can't lose or give to others, but for me I doubt it can be forced to happen like using a crowbar to open a jammed box. So that leaves reading the posts, articles, and books of others. But what do you do when you've read a lot and you're just not satisfied with what you're reading?

What are you doing practically to enable your own navigation in spiritual experiences? Do you practice anything like meditation etc?
Im very much the same, I got very little from reading others experiences, so I decided all that was left to do, was to encourage my own.

Loopy

Types With Fingers
06-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts. I particularly like the Buddha quote.

Deepsoul hit an interesting point about trusting a higher power. Putting my trust in a higher power is very difficult for me, because our higher power evidently doesn't wish to communicate with us as you and I can communicate, nor does It wish to be detected and measured as you and I can be detected and measured, yet It still wishes for us to give It the same trust and power we would give to other humans who are vying for our membership in their worldview.

In fact, many of those humans say that by following their particular worldview we are following the worldview of our higher power, which puts us poor folk in a bind as obviously not all (or possibly any) of them can be right. However, instead of clearing things up, our higher power remains silent and invisible, leaving us to scramble and fumble about while the truth gets further buried in mountains of misinformation. The result is that the seeds of fear, confusion, and discord have been sown into what should have been a garden of peace, love, and enlightenment, and they have grown to the point of choking the righteous plants and overrunning the garden. How hard it is for someone who is hungry to trust the gardener then!

This lack of trust in a higher power actually factors into why I'm not satisfied with what I'm reading anymore. How can I listen to the students tell me thirty versions of today's lesson when the teacher's never in the room to answer my questions? I don't expect to be told all the answers to the universe, but I do seek to discover what our higher power expects of me. So I put forth my thoughts on here, and on occassion I try to pray and meditate, but I can only do it for short bursts of time before I get frustrated and give up.

jonesboy
06-11-2015, 04:59 PM

Stop reading and start practicing. Find a tradition, a path that feels right to you and start the journey inward.

loopylucid
06-11-2015, 07:14 PM
I don't expect to be told all the answers to the universe,
on occassion I try to pray and meditate, but I can only do it for short bursts of time before I get frustrated and give up.

You sure your not expecting to be told lol

On a more serious note tho, it might be good to clarify the questions you are seeking some answers to.

This can be a lifelong journey, it often will require patience, understanding and along the road you may encounter frustration, amongst many many other myriad of emotions.

A lot of what can be realised may be born out of love and joy, but a lot also potentially out of upset, loss and heartbreak.

Small experiences build and expand on these things into a larger awareness space, I don't know for sure, but I would imagine those who believe they have found some of the answers you may be seeking, didn't sit down one day, meditate for 5 minutes and have a eureka moment.

When you think of it alot of the great discoveries have happened through hard labour, years of work, endless mistakes and countless near misses.

People are where they are because of everything that's gone before them building on there essence of self, where they have focused there attention has determined there dominant state of perception.

So I wonder if it might be good to ask yourself what are your intentions here? what is it you are seeking? what makes that possible? how does that enable itself through actions, which produce experiences, that maybe better knowledge than any 2nd information researched?

One thing ive learnt ever so quickly in all this, is just when I thought I knew something, it would change, but my experiences last forever untouched :)

Wishing you the best on this journey :)

Loopy

Thunder Bow
06-11-2015, 08:33 PM

What makes you think others have all the answers? That is why you are not satisfied with what you are reading. They know no more than you do! Only trust your own spiritual insights, Other insights may match or not match yours, or only partly match yours.

Cmt12
06-11-2015, 08:38 PM
It's a common mistake to think in terms of behaviors at the beginning. I would say to first change your mindset without changing your regular behaviors. Try to tune in more and feel more fully.

When moments of high inspiration and deep connection present themselves, really dive into them; that is what you pursue - the feeling of perfection is how I describe it.

You can't allow yourself to be deceived into following the associated events that helped to bring the feeling to fruition. It's not about the person, place, song, movie, achievement, book, relationship, etc. Tune into and pursue that feeling.

You won't become aware of step 2 until you do step 1.

naturesflow
06-11-2015, 09:07 PM

Experience life and allow life to move through all that gathered reading. You cant rush process, unless your rushing life? There are many different groups you can explore in real life. Learn something new that interests me, which I often do.

I was just saying to someone yesterday, everything we are and connect too throughout our life process and experiences supports us in some way in the moment of now as you are. So nothing is wasted. So even as the reading wanes, something else is opening readying you for another adventure, just hasn't arrived yet, or you haven't connected to it..

Types With Fingers
07-11-2015, 04:47 AM
Well see, it's not so simple for me to just pick a worldview that feels right to me, go out into the world, and live by that and go on crazy adventures. I mean, we're talking about the future of my soul/consciousness being at stake here, I want to be sure that the worldview I'm living is the right one, and not just one that feels good. Not only that, but tomorrow I could get hit by a meteor or struck by lightning, so while I can't really force a spiritual experience to occur, to me there's a sense of urgency to find a breakthrough in this matter. So yeah, I guess I do want to be told the secrets to the universe, but I'm sure I'd be just as happy just discovering what happens to my soul when my body perishes and what I can do to ensure it ends up in a better place than where it is now.

Gracey
07-11-2015, 05:02 AM
Well see, it's not so simple for me to just pick a worldview that feels right to me, go out into the world, and live by that and go on crazy adventures. I mean, we're talking about the future of my soul/consciousness being at stake here, I want to be sure that the worldview I'm living is the right one, and not just one that feels good. Not only that, but tomorrow I could get hit by a meteor or struck by lightning, so while I can't really force a spiritual experience to occur, to me there's a sense of urgency to find a breakthrough in this matter. So yeah, I guess I do want to be told the secrets to the universe, but I'm sure I'd be just as happy just discovering what happens to my soul when my body perishes and what I can do to ensure it ends up in a better place than where it is now.

Well, don't go out tonight, there is a meteor shower going on. :biggrin:

Have you ever tried listening to binarual beats? They balance the brains hemispheres and when they are in balance, you will have more spiritual experiences that will give you the reassurance of the answers you seek.

Types With Fingers
07-11-2015, 05:19 AM
Well, don't go out tonight, there is a meteor shower going on. :biggrin:

Have you ever tried listening to binarual beats? They balance the brains hemispheres and when they are in balance, you will have more spiritual experiences that will give you the reassurance of the answers you seek.

That's very funny :smile: .

I'm hesitant about listening to binaural beats, because from my understanding anyone can create a binaural beat track and plop it on YouTube, and I don't want just anyone messing with my mind. Do you have any recommendations?

Gracey
07-11-2015, 05:26 AM
That's very funny :smile: .

I'm hesitant about listening to binaural beats, because from my understanding anyone can create a binaural beat track and plop it on YouTube, and I don't want just anyone messing with my mind. Do you have any recommendations?

No, I don't have any. I always listened to them on you tube. i haven't thought about someone just creating something that might not be authentic. it really has worked wonders with me. there are different ones that affect different brain waves. it is something to research if you are interested.

just the beating of a drum can produce binaural beats. drumming is done at a specific rhythm of four-and-a-half beats per second.
this is the Shaman way.