PDA

View Full Version : Where to "Begin"

m2244
03-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Hello,

I want to make this short so that there's not a lot read into anything I might say, and so that I don't ramble.

I had a spiritual experience earlier this summer. I've been reading about various spiritual beliefs/practices.

With everything that's out there on the subject, how do you know where to begin? Buddhism, meditation, all of the stuff around Christianity, etc. What to believe. Who to listen to.

PS. I began by studying Sydney Banks' Three Principles. That was when something happened.

Rokon
03-11-2015, 05:43 PM
With everything that's out there on the subject, how do you know where to begin? Buddhism, meditation, all of the stuff around Christianity, etc. What to believe. Who to listen to.

This reminds me of walking into a paint store and looking at all the paint color sample cards. What color? :smile:

Lorelyen
03-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Just begin. If you go for an -ism it'll come with doctrinaire which might suit you, might not. Question it in relation to yourself, your current situation, the situation you'd like to see yourself in. And ask if it makes sense - how much do you need to put faith in it; how preachy is it? Does it seem in sympathy with your higher principles? Do you know what your higher principles are? You won't find spiritual advancement without checking the validity of what you're being told. There really is an awful lot of junk out there. Only experience will tell you what's worth pursuing and not.

If it doesn't sit well with you, move onto something else. Eventually you'll feel comfortable with a way forward. That's the start. Just be very honest with yourself. One of the big troubles that afflicts most newcomers is delusion.

Lucyan28
03-11-2015, 08:36 PM
Just pick up one ! All the knowledge of this sweet Earth is worth it, but remember that not because it is written in a book it means it is 100% true, or that it will suit you at 100% =)

Blessings !

LadyMay
03-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Go with what you feel most drawn to in each moment. :)