PDA

View Full Version : Fewer men than women who believe in spirituality?

Baybee123
30-10-2015, 11:26 PM
I've noticed that there are fewer men who are into spirituality than woman. Why do you think that is?

Shinsoo
30-10-2015, 11:41 PM
There's always the old notion that women are simply more receptive to Divine Energy...but that seems so cliche.

What I find interesting is that a lot of angels, ascended masters, what not, are supposedly viewed/known as male.

I can't help noticing that the ones guiding, tend to be male beings, and the ones sending and spreading the message are females in human form.

Can't escape the patriarchy, **** j/k

WhiteWarrior
31-10-2015, 12:29 AM
Hm. Part of me wants to argue that women are more sensitive in the first place. But another part of me wants to see cold hard statistics on both the sensitivity claim and the female majority one. I guess for fun's sake we could see how many on this forum claims to be male, female or other?

Rokon
31-10-2015, 12:42 AM
I've noticed that there are fewer men who are into spirituality than woman. Why do you think that is?

Masculine energy is more objective, rational, mental, whereas female energy is more subjective, intuitive and receptive. To me spirituality is more internal. I could go on but might put foot in mouth. :D

engellstein
31-10-2015, 12:56 AM
I say it mostly comes down to how the male and female minds work. Females are more inclined towards social interconnectedness. Males are more individualized and territorial. I see it like atoms, you have the nucleus that pushes away from all the other nuclei and then you have the electrons that bond the atoms together. Women act like society's social glue. And the socialness is directly linked to the way people view things spiritually, energetically.

What I find interesting is that a lot of angels, ascended masters, what not, are supposedly viewed/known as male.

I can't help noticing that the ones guiding, tend to be male beings, and the ones sending and spreading the message are females in human form.

Can't escape the patriarchy, **** j/k

I argue that there are no ascended masters or angels, but that those are representations of the energy of higher energetic levels that can be connected to. And the representations are in our minds, not in the energy. That's why who you see is dependent on your background and what you expect to see. That's just my 2 cents though. Could be wrong.

daisy
31-10-2015, 01:09 AM
Maybe it's just that women are more willing to admit it?

wolfgaze
31-10-2015, 02:25 AM
Maybe it's just that women are more willing to admit it?

I was thinking exactly this when I read the thread title...

ocean breeze
31-10-2015, 04:06 AM
Men seem more interested in philosophy while women seem more interested in spirituality. I guess it has to do with what was already mentioned above, the different mind sets.

wstein
31-10-2015, 05:04 AM
I've noticed that there are fewer men who are into spirituality than woman. Why do you think that is? People (mostly women) keep telling me that. However when I am at a 'spiritual' event and take a count there are never more women than men (usually nearly even).

Perhaps there are more women than men into religion ...

Reincar-Nation
31-10-2015, 05:20 AM
I think your right, spirituality is so far beyond the comfort zone and 'wierdo radar' of all males that I know its not even something they make fun of generally speaking, even here at the forum I do not have one single male friend amongst these people (or real-lifers) who even know 1% of this side of myself (although some wonderful female friends...). Down in Australia it is a culture of extreme bloke-iness (I hope you can all understand my dialect!), if your not into V8 racing your a bit soft, spirits are something you 'get blind' on of the weekend and tarot reading, mate your off with the fairies....
I think female energy just gravitates to a sense of 'nurturing' generally, spirituality starts with nurturing of yourself, most (not all) of men see 'nurturing' as the opposite of 'being a man', as somehow in conflict with all that being male stands for and entails. Not to say they are bad people, I just think it is very difficult for your average man to (at least publicly) connect with the spiritual element to life in this day and age...
I feel like a total outsider sometimes in this place, but I wouldn't have it any other way....

Shaunc
31-10-2015, 07:17 AM
I'm in Australia & admit that there is a culture of blokeiness. I don't find that stops me practicing my spirituality. Today I've watched the horse racing on tv, gone to the tab & put a couple of bets on. I love my rugby league and work as a labourer. I'm probably about as blue collar as it gets but I don't see it as a handicap to practicing my spirituality.

Rah nam
31-10-2015, 09:11 AM

We don't like to show off, and besides the work is done internally rather then externally.
Weather we belief in something is less important, what we do with it is.

engellstein
31-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Those are good points about how men see spirituality. I've said it before that I don't think spirituality is required to live a good life. It's just a skill like any other skill and can be honed if one wishes. The more skilled you are in the spirituality area the more you can accomplish in that area, but the same can be said of carpentry, programming, fishing, etc.

When I first started getting spiritual I thought everyone into that stuff would be good people. Boy was I wrong. You have just as many rude people and swindlers in the spiritual circles as you do elsewhere. So, again, spirituality is just one of many skills a person can pursue to make life better, but it's not required.

r6r6
31-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Were all spiritual creatures. We all are spirit.

My wife was chemistry major in school but is more into spiritual, self-help, and mysterous healing powers.

I quit school only to get GED later on and I'm more into cosmic truths/principles science of what we recognize as Universe.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Men are pushers women are attractors.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Men and women at the optimal best and generally speaking, operate at 90 degrees to each other. I've given simple model of this using various aspects of the minimal 3D polyhedron of Universe the tetrahedron.

Women bear children and all men come from a woman.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spirituality is the support of life, generally speaking, yet more men loose it mentally and allow themselves to take out others on their pathway to self-destruction.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think women probably more into some spiritual-like stuff than men. Some part of that is genetic and some in culture conditioning.

r6

linen53
31-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Already said but here's a different take. Men are ruled by their intellect, women by their emotions. It's hard to bridge that gap of intellect into the spiritual realm. But it can be done.

My hubby is a good example. He has bridged that gap, but he gets almost all his spiritual information from me. If he had to go digging for it, he wouldn't.

Rokon
31-10-2015, 02:48 PM
Already said but here's a different take. Men are ruled by their intellect, women by their emotions. It's hard to bridge that gap of intellect into the spiritual realm. But it can be done.

Yes I see this too, each of us polarized somewhere between feminine energy and masculine energy. Heart needs balance.

Rokon
31-10-2015, 04:20 PM
From a study funded by the John Templeton Foundation about ten years ago. The study was conducted with 3680 college students at UCLA and the results were combined with another study, College Students’ Beliefs and Values (CSBV) Survey (2003). There are tons of values but I found this summary question that is worthy.

On the importance of “integrating spirituality into my life”
Integrating spirituality is...

Essential
men score 27
women score 37

Not important
men score 22
women score 14

SeaZen
31-10-2015, 04:41 PM

This is a loaded statement. It really depends on how one defines spirituality. Women define it differently than men.

Free1
31-10-2015, 04:55 PM
From a study funded by the John Templeton Foundation about ten years ago. The study was conducted with 3680 college students at UCLA and the results were combined with another study, College Students’ Beliefs and Values (CSBV) Survey (2003). There are tons of values but I found this summary question that is worthy.

On the importance of “integrating spirituality into my life”
Integrating spirituality is...

Essential
men score 27
women score 37

Not important
men score 22
women score 14

This had me thinking about something else then the results of the study.

Where the researchers really spiritual? The phrasing “integrating spirituality into my life” reflects our ordinary consumerist attitude.

Maybe we can see the point with another example: "integrating compassion into my life", as if we are a core without compassion, that suddenly realized we need to integrate some of it.

:)

The true result:
Men score 0
Women score 0

Clover
31-10-2015, 04:57 PM
I don't think men are any less spiritual than woman. However, men aren't half the analytical talkers women are. Women are very emotional and hormonal. Ask us how our day is and your going to hear a few stories. Ask a man how his day was, he will probably grunt and grumble and go watch TV.I am generalizing to the max here. :smile: :biggrin:

That saying, depending on what part of the world your from. I would argue men dominate the field of spirituality. They also hold the powerful positions in their institutions. We see this very clearly in the Catholic church or in dominated male praying groups in Muslim countries. I would argue, what is the importance or difference that a man has to say over a woman when they hold these positions? Or, why are people more likely to listen when men have something to say or write in the world of spirituality. After all, they are more likely to get published than a woman.

Personally, I feel when I look into a lot of old literature including the scriptures or the great masters, I feel like these male writers are trying to speak for me and what woman really desire and want.

Shinsoo
31-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Personally, I feel when I look into a lot of old literature including the scriptures or the great masters, I feel like these male writers are trying to speak for me and what woman really desire and want.

That's an interesting perspective...and one I sometimes wonder on occasion given the role of women over the years.

Men didn't quite understand women, heck even now a lot of men don't quite understand women. They can respect their power, their emotions, intelligence, etc but as to understanding them, the emotional tendencies for women simply go much deeper than most can really understand.

And as women weren't thought of much in many of the cultures in addition to not being understood, I think it was quite natural back then for men to simply write to them as they wanted them to be.

Rokon
31-10-2015, 05:50 PM
I've spent much of my adult life with an interest in various spiritual schools of thought. What I've found is that men like to debate, women like to "share" lol.

Lorelyen
31-10-2015, 06:20 PM

Because it isn't macho and most men want others to see them as a manly being. Notoriously they hold their emotions distant while women are less prone to this.

I hypothesised that it's because the mother in the family can accord with, empathise with a daughter well into adulthood. But that same mother can't with a son. In a son's preadolescent life, mum tends the wounds, the scrapes, comforts the sadness/tears, makes the lunchbox up, reads a story at bedtime and stuff. But when the boy reaches puberty the relationship changes. Who can he turn to? It's a rare father who has had such engagement with a son, so son can't turn to his father for the same comforts. His emotions are his own and he models his exploration of emotions on men around him.

Compared with a daughter, he's stranded. So to get on, to be manly, he doesn't show his emotions so he loses touch with them. But then....(she shrugs) men do break from this mould. Something in their lives triggers an "awakening". Sometimes it's cultural, a fashion breaks out and that's as good as anything if it jolts a male's curiosity.

r6r6
31-10-2015, 06:54 PM
This is a loaded statement. It really depends on how one defines spirituality. Women define it differently than men.

Spirituality is the support of life, generally speaking, and the environment that supports life, yet more men loose it mentally and allow themselves to take out others on their pathway to self-destruction.

Men and women at their optimal operational best, generally speaking, function, think or behave at 90 degrees to each other.

I've given simple model of this using various aspects of the minimal 3D polyhedron of Universe the tetrahedron.

Male and female as a primary, basic or fundamental basis of Universe can be seen as two bisected parrallel halves of the tetrahedron{ see link (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/Men are pushers women are attractors.)} position at 90 degrees to each other but combined define the tetrahedron.

Men are pushers women are attractors.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women bear children and all men come from a woman.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women bear the child via sperm from male, however, there exists some species of female only geckos that reproduce exact clones of themselves without insemintation from male.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The previously mentioned tetrahedron is intimately linked to another Archimedian polyhedron called the cubo-octahedron. It is 12-around-1 equal radius spheres.

The nuclear 13th sphere is not there are allowed to quantm tunnel to outside, allows the 12-around-one pattern to now become 12-around-none, and is now configurated as the more stable structure known as the icosahedron.

The icosahedrons dual polyhedron is the non-stable pentagonal dodecahedron.

I find basic polyhedra interesting in regards to fundamentals of space or space-time--- ergo defining a 2D spatial area or 3D volume or any fundamental essence of Universe, that, remains mysterious and non-observed--- at least directly ---by humans.

There is much more to my given scenarios above, and that all appear to inter-connect to biologic life to fundamental geometric shapes of space.

Biologicals occupy space, so seems only natural that biologicals and non-biologicals have a basis in the what shapes of space are allowed. imho

r6

Tanemon
31-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Because it isn't macho and most men want others to see them as a manly being. Notoriously they hold their emotions distant while women are less prone to this.

I hypothesised that it's because the mother in the family can accord with, empathise with a daughter well into adulthood. But that same mother can't with a son. In a son's preadolescent life, mum tends the wounds, the scrapes, comforts the sadness/tears, makes the lunchbox up, reads a story at bedtime and stuff. But when the boy reaches puberty the relationship changes. Who can he turn to? It's a rare father who has had such engagement with a son, so son can't turn to his father for the same comforts. His emotions are his own and he models his exploration of emotions on men around him.

Compared with a daughter, he's stranded. So to get on, to be manly, he doesn't show his emotions so he loses touch with them. But then....(she shrugs) men do break from this mould. Something in their lives triggers an "awakening". Sometimes it's cultural, a fashion breaks out and that's as good as anything if it jolts a male's curiosity.
That's quite a sound insight, I'd say. I believe it's correct about emotions (and intuition), though I view these as separate things.

Young men in modern Western cultures have generally grown up into a "prove it" situation: if you make an assertion, and it isn't common understanding or knowledge, your male friends will challenge you to prove it. The "challenge" may be mild, subtle - but it's there. This goes for physical things but also for "facts" of all sorts. As far as communication goes, insights can be stifled (they may be respected or validated by the individual having the insight, but will be subject to quasi-scientific scrutiny by ordinary male acquaintances.):rolleyes:

And yes, certain experiences can weaken or shatter the social mould that males grow into. Little surprise that a period of spiritual interest grew in the late 1960s and through the 1970s, after the widespread psychedelic experimentation of the late '50s to early '60s. The experiences opened many men to both emotions and inner insights or intuitions.

Small point: the wording in subject line of the thread sort of suggested spirituality is a matter of belief or believing, and my initial thought was that it's basically a matter of experience, not beliefs.

Lorelyen
31-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Yes, I wasn't very sure of how to read the title.

If I'd read it as believe in a deity/deities, the dictates of a religion, the answer would at a guess be the numbers of male and female would almost be in balance. But to believe in spirituality seems to come with an assumption that the person has some grasp of what spirit/spirituality is and is able to believe in their explorations; alternately that they can appreciate spirit in themselves (however obliquely) because they are able to respond to intuition and are more aware of emotional stimuli, can respond to emotions without all the ritual that men seem to engage in.

It shows in (commercial) fiction, to me. You get more female romance and emotion-based authors than men; you get more men writing science fiction/fantasy than women.

With other media the balance changes slightly - why, I sometimes wonder. Artists tend to be a different breed anyway, male or female. Male composers are probably no nearer their emotions than other men but they've found a way to short cut to some kind of intellectual/secretarial act that allows them to create directly from their emotions into musical scores... well, some composers that is.

Interesting your comments about the 60s, things my parents would talk about. Those who took their psychedelic experiences seriously seem to have received remarkable insights. Some go on to explore them. Have you encountered a writing The Politics of Ecstasy (Timothy Leary)? I think it was published in the late 60s, maybe 1970.

Tanemon
31-10-2015, 07:42 PM
With other media the balance changes slightly - why, I sometimes wonder. Artists tend to be a different breed anyway, male or female. Male composers are probably no nearer their emotions than other men but they've found a way to short cut to some kind of intellectual/secretarial act that allows them to create directly from their emotions into musical scores... well, some composers that is.
Depends on the kind of art or music, I think. But overall it is probably the case that male composers probably are nearer their emotions than other men tend to be.

Interesting your comments about the 60s, things my parents would talk about. Those who took their psychedelic experiences seriously seem to have received remarkable insights. Some go on to explore them. Have you encountered a writing The Politics of Ecstasy (Timothy Leary). This was in dad's book collection. I'd better say no more here!
As I've mentioned before on the SF, I have a hippie uncle.:smile:

He might have had that Leary book on his shelf. I've never perused or read it. It's good? (Oh... say no more. :wink: )

Lorelyen
31-10-2015, 08:13 PM
Uh-oh...I just edited the last line.

Leary: I hesitate to use the word "enlightening" on this forum because litigation usually follows! but it did awaken certain interests without any doubt. From my limited experience, it seemed a shame that so many underwent these experiences with recreational frivolity - they missed the point. Apologies for the circumlocution but....!

Composers that came to mind were Tchaikovsky, early Stravinsky, Debussy when I wrote that.

blackraven
31-10-2015, 08:25 PM

Baybee123 - After seeing your post I read up on this and found a study was done on just this issue of the differences in men and women and the study's finding were that men are more genetically inclined to think in a more rational and practical way, with the result being less spiritual then women. Of course that's only one study. I haven't done any quantifiable research on this subject myself and I'm sure that many men on SF would disagree. But I did find the genetic link in the study I read up on interesting.

PassionOfHybrid
31-10-2015, 11:41 PM

I'm not sure.not even sure if that's true.

Might be because there's more women than men on the earth.

There's all kinds of factors.

SilentLegend
01-11-2015, 03:10 AM
My opinion is that men are pressured to take action and work towards achievement and accomplishments on this earthly plane, if they don't then they are shamed for being lazy.
So because of this rat race there is no time to even reflect on spiritual matters.

wstein
01-11-2015, 05:38 AM
any admins care to characterize the balance of gender of members as they have openly indicated in their profiles ...

<added>
NVM I figured out how to do it myself.
as per the member search function:
Male 3937
Female 5051
so basically 4:5

Lorelyen
01-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Hmmm, the site registers 25,164 members of which 1,582 are active. I don't know what active means - maybe the most prolific of the 25,164.

wstien's analysis tends to bear out the o/p's proposition but it relates only to this forum. How many there are on others is anyone's guess. The Lashtal site, more about occult/current 93 than the range of spirituality here, is predominantly male. It isn't a site I belong to and rarely visit (usually in response to a search on google) but looking through the members active at the time.... There aren't enough people around on sorcery or mystical forums to be able to tell their balance.

sunsoul
01-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Yes, I think it can also depend on what form of spiritual practice you are talking about.. In a yoga class there is one or two guys in twenty, on workshops about crystals or healing there are two guys in ten perhaps.. However, I would bet that Freemasonry has a predominance of men, and in Buddhist meditation practice there are usually more men.

Overall though, I think women are usually more open to change and developing themselves than most men.

knightofalbion
01-11-2015, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure that's true. Perhaps its just that men and women find different outlets of expression.

PassionOfHybrid
01-11-2015, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure that's true. Perhaps its just that men and women find different outlets of expression.

or perhaps we're looking at it from a narrow perspective.

I believe there's various ways of enriching the soul. doesn't necessarily have to be categorized as "spirituality". Spirituality sounds more like a practice, conventional outlets such as praying, tarot card reading, etc etc. Which I consider as conventional methods.

We could be enriching our souls right now. Although, I have to agree with you on that part about not being sure about females being more into spirituality than males...I see lots of males into such things, possibly even on this site.There's a pretty good balance of males and females on this site. Perhaps from the OP's perspective it looks very different.

We also should consider circumstances, culture, societal doctrines as factors as to why some males, or females, aren't into conventional spiritual methods.

Clover
01-11-2015, 02:20 PM
any admins care to characterize the balance of gender of members as they have openly indicated in their profiles ...

<added>
NVM I figured out how to do it myself.
as per the member search function:
Male 3937
Female 5051
so basically 4:5

Interesting.

The Soul Mate/ Twin Flame remains the most popular area at SF as far as traffic and interest. However, you would be surprised to learn that our most active and most replied to threads are in the lounge section with the games and music section.

r6r6
01-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Male and female as a primary, basic or fundamental basis of Universe can be seen as two bisected parrallel halves of the tetrahedron{ see link (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2FMen+are+pushers+women+are+attractors.)} position at 90-- + -- degrees to each other but combined define the tetrahedron.

Male and female are not equal except in metaphysical scenarios--- as the above ---wherein we have equinimity of two halves, even tho they are positioned at 90 degrees to each other.

Male and female at their optimal functional operation are not opposites, i.e. they are not operating at 180 degrees-- <-opposites-> --- to each other. Altho they can, it is not the optimal.

To make the above more dynamic then we think of each halve of the parrallel bisected tetrahedron as having a spin, left or right, ergo a great circle of spin is created.

See this link for 6 great circles (http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/s04/figs/f5511.html) if each of the 6 edges of tetrahedron is spun as a great circle. Within this set we only need to consider two of those 6 and only those two that are a 90-- + ---degrees to each other.

So we have two dynamic great circles as spin left or right and each is 360 degrees. 360 plus 360 degrees = 720 degrees and 720 degrees is the total degrees of a tetrahedrons 12 surface angles.

So we have these two great circles opriented at 90 degrees to each other, however, we can allow for these two change their orientation so as they approach being on the same plane, or nearly the exact same plane, otherwise they might crash/clash into each other as male and female actually do sometimes.

And they can be spinning in same direction or nearly 180 degree opposite directions.

Again, all of the above is a conceptual scenario wherein male, and female, are on an equal basis, and the primary differrence places them at 90 degrees to each other-- ergo tetrahedron is invoked directly and indirectly ---and they both male and female can spin left or right, irrespective of their orientation to each other at 90, 60 or 180 degrees to each other.

r6
r6r6r--Spirituality is the support of life, generally speaking, and the environment that supports life, yet more men loose it mentally and allow themselves to take out others on their pathway to self-destruction.

Clover
01-11-2015, 02:43 PM
That's an interesting perspective...and one I sometimes wonder on occasion given the role of women over the years.

Men didn't quite understand women, heck even now a lot of men don't quite understand women. They can respect their power, their emotions, intelligence, etc but as to understanding them, the emotional tendencies for women simply go much deeper than most can really understand.

And as women weren't thought of much in many of the cultures in addition to not being understood, I think it was quite natural back then for men to simply write to them as they wanted them to be.

Well,as early as religion and government systems were created they have been male centered and dominated. Woman play more supportive roles. If you look more in depth into some scriptures, woman are pretty darn evil and cause a lot of suffering. To me, all these spiritual writings are rhetorical and persuasive as a means to control people.
I happen to believe woman and men have very basic instinctual human needs. We make it more complicated with the spiritual talk, and we give power to it because someone we hold in a high standard ( more likely a male) says it or writes it and we acclaim and praise it.
I would argue further and say we may even do this on the forum ( imo and observation). Like I mentioned in my last post, the most active and popular threads are the games. I only know a few women on this forum that actually engage in the spiritual sections, and when they articulate their opinion, I can see the rift and reaction that it gets from both men and woman.

Shinsoo
01-11-2015, 11:52 PM
Well,as early as religion and government systems were created they have been male centered and dominated. Woman play more supportive roles. If you look more in depth into some scriptures, woman are pretty darn evil and cause a lot of suffering. To me, all these spiritual writings are rhetorical and persuasive as a means to control people.
I happen to believe woman and men have very basic instinctual human needs. We make it more complicated with the spiritual talk, and we give power to it because someone we hold in a high standard ( more likely a male) says it or writes it and we acclaim and praise it.
I would argue further and say we may even do this on the forum ( imo and observation). Like I mentioned in my last post, the most active and popular threads are the games. I only know a few women on this forum that actually engage in the spiritual sections, and when they articulate their opinion, I can see the rift and reaction that it gets from both men and woman.

Yes, old scriptures definitely seem to carry that aura of being written to control people.

Again your comment about not many women engaging in the spiritual sections surprises me. Maybe I'm just not aware of it or don't pay much attention to gender on this forum much? A lot of us don't have avatars.

That said, I sort of agree and yet I don't. To a frequent forum goer myself over the years, I find it is a common thing in a lot of areas where there are more females than males, there is a tendency to flock to the males and either latch on to what they say, or engage them in debate in some way, to get their attention.

However, Spiritual Forums is kind of different in the aspect that there are more males here than females. I don't see much of the 'competition' lurking here as I did other forums. Most seem to shy away from confronting others, but again this is a forum exploring things that are very subjective to people.

As in all forums though, it is not uncommon to find people taking what men say a bit more seriously.

knightofalbion
02-11-2015, 12:05 AM
We do hail from a very patriarchal society. Orthodoxy especially has only opened up in recent times.

A woman's as good as a man at most things in my book. And it's the message, not who's saying it.

I consider Peace Pilgrim to be the greatest teacher/advocate of the post-war era.

innerlight
02-11-2015, 12:33 AM

I would say it dates back to males primitive nature. The males were the hunters, they do what they needed to, to survive. Emotions, feelings, spirit, where things that could get you killed out in the wilds, so they were shut down. Woman had to keep the herd together, and happy, and not fighting each other, so they became more tuned into those aspects.

But then it also would depend on what you mean when you say spirituality. For some religion is spirituality, and there are plenty of males that revolve around their religions. For some it's about spirit guides, and mother earth.

BurningBush
02-11-2015, 03:24 AM
Yes, I wasn't very sure of how to read the title.

If I'd read it as believe in a deity/deities, the dictates of a religion, the answer would at a guess be the numbers of male and female would almost be in balance. But to believe in spirituality seems to come with an assumption that the person has some grasp of what spirit/spirituality is and is able to believe in their explorations; alternately that they can appreciate spirit in themselves (however obliquely) because they are able to respond to intuition and are more aware of emotional stimuli, can respond to emotions without all the ritual that men seem to engage in.

It shows in (commercial) fiction, to me. You get more female romance and emotion-based authors than men; you get more men writing science fiction/fantasy than women.

Interesting your comments about the 60s, things my parents would talk about. Those who took their psychedelic experiences seriously seem to have received remarkable insights. Some go on to explore them. Have you encountered a writing The Politics of Ecstasy (Timothy Leary)? I think it was published in the late 60s, maybe 1970.

I agree that the answer to this question hinges on the definition of "spirituality." As to the total number of people believing in deities/religions, I'd also agree that the numbers are balanced, however, women seem to be more attracted to new age spirituality, which may indicate a preference towards what feels good by women and a holding onto rationality by men. As many more people are raised under traditional religions, the rationality that might cause a man to leave a traditional religion might also prevent him from accepting new age spirituality.

However, to me, none of that is what spirituality is about. If the question were about how many people are awake to the power of inner knowledge or about how many people have gained inner knowledge, which I think would be the real definition of spirituality, I also think those numbers would be balanced.

Now for a quick anecdote. It's almost awe-inducing to meet someone who is really awake. Earlier this year I was at a bachelor party and our group ended up in a strip club. At one point one of the girls working was sitting next to me and she said something to me. I can't remember what she said, but my reaction was "wait, this person is a genius" A minute later she was telling about how her dad was a Freemason and may as well have been reading my mind as I was talking to her. I don't know what she believed in exactly but she was obviously highly aware.

Bringing that back to the topic at hand, I wonder how many people on this forum would entertain the idea that a stripper could be spiritually awake. My guess is not many.

Serrao
02-11-2015, 10:35 AM
In my observance, women are naturally more right-brain-oriented and men are naturally more left-brain-oriented.
The right brain has to do with intuition and sensitivity, which is spiritual.
The left brain has to do with logic, which is not so spiritual.

Both women and men have the equal potential to develop both sides of the brain.

MIND POWER
02-11-2015, 01:41 PM
These sorts of discussions can turn into a team competition, but that’s ok. Because I am not a team player innately, so I don’t really care………sometimes in life its “Every man for himself”……

It’s also not always about numbers and statistics. Sometimes it’s about dreams and aspirations, and what interests you about spirituality! What type of person man or woman you are, and why are you here! And it’s when you express these values (And people do this everyday), that’s when you stop being a statistic! You become something unique! This can happen out in the open or in private…..

These moments of uniqueness, can be expressed in just afew moments. Because I do see allot of people jabbering on about things you can read in a magazine, men and women. But fair play, why be so serious all the time? Don't answer the question.

(But I will make this very clear, the kindest and most insightful profound things I have seen written within this forum or said to me personally have been from women! I am talking about genuine words that have read and felt).

But I do think women need to take into consideration, that in this current paradigm within this world (That needs to fall). The pressures both men and women have to endure are slightly different, therefore this moulds some of us different. This is a man’s world and we made it like this……so remember that! Therefore we are expected to hold this entire system and paradigm up primarily, and that’s our role in this corruption (And allot of men just seem to focus on this, because that’s an easy formula to acquire some success and maybe some sort woman!)…..

But as a man, I am not sure whether it is the formula to acquire real passionate success and somebody’s heart! And for me that sort of prestigiousness matters! It’s like the difference between an athlete who is training just for the extrinsic benefits! Compared to an athlete who believes in something greater……something greater than those physical variables! I believe that life can be greater than it is now; and I am greater than it is now.

And it is when you believe in something greater than your circumstance, that’s when you are inspired to fight or search for some sort of change and not just repeat what has gone before! This is what defines spirituality personally for me. When you believe in something outside of the things we can see with our eye’s, and feel with our hands! When you start to operate on those invisible senses, these are the seeds of greatness that so many of us have forgotten!….

It’s only when these seeds of greatness, begin to sprout once again in a man’s heart will things change. When the tide turns inside a man’s mind and heart, only then will this paradigm fall in almighty chaotic fashion. As the archetype, the original man returns! And that man is a man, with a heart and deep emotional intelligence. Who now fights with a love and passion, you see because the ultimate power of love is that it’s always does what is right and it never wavers! Never wavers! That’s the power of love, not this shallow descriptions or pitfall stereotypes you sometimes see in books or within this forum!

All these stories and fantasies of angels, there just echo’s of what man used to be still encoded in women’s hearts. Flashes of the archetype, stories from my past as the original man! Hm! That’s why I never get down on my knees……

And this type of man can only be sparked up once again, by a woman. In short envision you as some sort of key/spark, you know like that cube they have in the movie transformers. Ask for something different ladies, make it your demand and you will surely live it.

Listen human nature is something we have forgotten, and been lied about for thousands of years. This is why we are obsessed with the past, because we are always searching! Just trying to remember. But if there is one group of people, who have forgotten more about themselves than any indigenous culture! It is women themselves.

And this is probably why maybe more women embrace such things outside of the things we can touch and feel more naturally.

r6r6
02-11-2015, 03:38 PM
And this is probably why maybe more women embrace such things outside of the things we can touch and feel more naturally.

There are studies that show women use both hemispheres more then men do when asked series of questions i.e. there is more acitivity back-n-forth in female brain.

To me this more generalized functionally and less specific/focused task oriented ergo more narrow and limited, to whatever degree.

Again, I refer the reader back to the two equal halves-- shaped like chefs hats of old ---of the tetrahedron and with the above in mind, I would say that, each chefs hat half of tetrahedron has the primary edge/line, that, has two ends.

Females in general, activate both ends of their chefs hat as brain, then the males do. We may even say, that, based on the above, males may tend towards being a little lopsided in the brain department, of activity in two hemispheres.

Female woman is more complex entity of Universe. Male is 2nd.

A pregnant female increases the complex by some degrees of complexity. imho

r6

PassionOfHybrid
02-11-2015, 04:33 PM
I believe that everyone, regardless of gender or leanings, are individuals responsible for their own actions, no matter what science says. Free thinkers.

knightofalbion
02-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Orthodoxy is male-dominated. I can perfectly understand women seeking other areas of the spiritual dimension to explore and express themselves in.

Very few women spiritual teachers have made it to the fore. I would like to see more in future times, and I'm sure we will.
I think women vicars - something that was unthinkable up to recent times - have been a breath of fresh air for the Church of England.

Male or female, it's the same Path we're all walking.
And wisdom is wisdom, good example is good example.
Everyone has something to offer.

Rokon
02-11-2015, 05:02 PM
I know these "gender against gender" topics can be a tinderbox in online dialogue. I imagine the more experienced moderators are cautiously aware on this thread. I'm actually amazed that this thread has not caught fire. In that light I believe the gender issue is incidental to the real cause of differences.

"As within, so without" is fundamental to spirituality meethinks. And within are both masculine energy (Spirit) and feminine energy (Will) that coalesce and manifest as gender in the physical. So to me its not about "men this, women that". It's about energetic polarization. Each gender has both energies flowing through them but is dominant in polarization.

knightofalbion
02-11-2015, 05:12 PM
Don't worry, dear Rokon. I'm sure this thread won't flare up. Why should it? As a male I am perfectly aware and only too ready to acknowledge the prejudice and chauvinism of Orthodoxy, through the centuries and to the present day.

The Path doesn't discriminate. The Other Side doesn't discriminate. We are what we are.

Female? Male? SOUL!!!!

PassionOfHybrid
02-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Yes, we're delving so heavily into how the human ego and body parts function, but we're forgetting about what exactly separates us from it, and makes us unique.

Lorelyen
02-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Bringing that back to the topic at hand, I wonder how many people on this forum would entertain the idea that a stripper could be spiritually awake. My guess is not many.

Accepted. There's an amount of stereotyping, expectations of what a spiritually "awake" (to use your term) should be/look like/do. I personally have no problem with the spiritually inspired/awake person having their feet on the ground.

MIND POWER
02-11-2015, 07:42 PM
What does the term spirituality awake mean anyway..? i am sure their are plenty of people who know about Charkra's or the names of some deities or whatever..? but still jabber on about celeb gossip 24/7 (No harm in that), they could be strippers or brick layers....big deal....So what! Ultimately it is your actions, aspirations and dreams which define you as a person! and in my opinion are the (measurement) of how spirituality awake you are! if you are going to measure anything then that is what you measure! Sometimes its not about what you know, its about what you do! its about what you have experienced! its about the original dreams you have.

And i for one will say this, its like that scene from (Good Will hunting) we can all read books or watch afew documentary's. But sometimes its about what you have felt and experienced in life, and then the actions you have took which will be the measurement of how spirituality awake you are.

Here: Good Will Hunting Park Scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM-gZintWDc

So yes a stripper! could be spirituality awake more than others. Maybe they have been through some hard times, and felt certain emotions that others have not! But then again, maybe they are just lost women sometimes because the system can beat you down. But if all you can do is play the role of a sexual commodity, then i don't think you are really using your power wisely....if i was a woman (But i am not a woman). I have kind of hinted at this before, i believe you are more than that........

I have just stated in my first post, that this is man's world because we made it like this! and it will only be us who will bring it down! not because we are better, but because this density is our domain! its MY domain, make no doubt about it.

To all the women......

You are like the spark, you are like that cube from transformers. You have the immaterial spiritual innate power, to inspire any man to pursue something different within their hearts and within the world (Plain and simple!) funny enough i was speaking to my friend today in the gym, about this very section of this post! really deep stuff. Once women collectively do this, then i believe the world will collective change.

Because that immaterial power cannot be measured by Newtonian physics........Listen r6r6...? forget your studies brother of the human brain, this stuff i am talking about cannot be measured by any studies of matter or biology! it cannot be understood my Newtonian physics.......for me it goes way beyond brain function! but fair play i see why you brought that up!

And i believe that some women understand this, and know this deep down. And that's why some of them are into spirituality, but only time will tell.......

I can spot these type of women from like 1 billion miles away..hahaha. And i feel like there are more and more of these types of women appearing by the day...

Enjoy yourself ladies.

r6r6
02-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Also consider this, are there more idiot savant males than females?

If so then this may relate to my givens below in previous email, regarding males tending toward the use of only one hemi-sphere of brain, than females.

Ergo males being more focused on a topic or project issue whatever, and with idiot savants we see the brain going off the deep end with only a few specific outstanding abilities.

Only recently have they discovered a quasi-savant male who can and actually describe what is going on inside his brain, but he still cannot drive a car, and he has a few if not many sort of nit-picky/narrow/anal actions that he cannot get beyond.

Like weighing his breakfest on a scale to exaclty so many ounces.

So we maybe could do search and see if males dominate in the savant field. My guess is that we will find that to be the case.

r6
There are studies that show women use both hemispheres more then men do when asked series of questions i.e. there is more acitivity back-n-forth in female brain.
To me this more generalized functionally and less specific/focused task oriented ergo more narrow and limited, to whatever degree.
Again, I refer the reader back to the two equal halves-- shaped like chefs hats of old ---of the tetrahedron and with the above in mind, I would say that, each chefs hat half of tetrahedron has the primary edge/line, that, has two ends.
Females in general, activate both ends of their chefs hat as brain, then the males do. We may even say, that, based on the above, males may tend towards being a little lopsided in the brain department, of activity in two hemispheres.
Female woman is more complex entity of Universe. Male is 2nd.
A pregnant female increases the complex by some degrees of complexity. imho

r6

ocean breeze
03-11-2015, 12:19 AM
Men are better than women and therefore are too cool for spirituality. Women need spirituality to catch up to us men. :icon_razz: :icon_joker:

Rokon
03-11-2015, 12:30 AM
Men are better than women and therefore are too cool for spirituality. Women need spirituality to catch up to us men. :icon_razz: :icon_joker:

Hmm. That should get a few responses. :smile:

BurningBush
03-11-2015, 04:36 AM
What does the term spirituality awake mean anyway..? i am sure their are plenty of people who know about Charkra's or the names of some deities or whatever..? but still jabber on about celeb gossip 24/7 (No harm in that), they could be strippers or brick layers....big deal....So what! Ultimately it is your actions, aspirations and dreams which define you as a person! and in my opinion are the (measurement) of how spirituality awake you are! if you are going to measure anything then that is what you measure! Sometimes its not about what you know, its about what you do! its about what you have experienced! its about the original dreams you have.
To me, being awake means seeing and operating in a way that is free from programming and in accordance with one's true desires and self. It essentially means inner harmony.

And i for one will say this, its like that scene from (Good Will hunting) we can all read books or watch afew documentary's. But sometimes its about what you have felt and experienced in life, and then the actions you have took which will be the measurement of how spirituality awake you are.

Here: Good Will Hunting Park Scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM-gZintWDc
Great scene.

So yes a stripper! could be spirituality awake more than others. Maybe they have been through some hard times, and felt certain emotions that others have not! But then again, maybe they are just lost women sometimes because the system can beat you down. But if all you can do is play the role of a sexual commodity, then i don't think you are really using your power wisely....if i was a woman (But i am not a woman). I have kind of hinted at this before, i believe you are more than that........
She may have her stuff going on under the surface but she was clearly operating at a different level.

I have just stated in my first post, that this is man's world because we made it like this! and it will only be us who will bring it down! not because we are better, but because this density is our domain! its MY domain, make no doubt about it.

To all the women......

You are like the spark, you are like that cube from transformers. You have the immaterial spiritual innate power, to inspire any man to pursue something different within their hearts and within the world (Plain and simple!) funny enough i was speaking to my friend today in the gym, about this very section of this post! really deep stuff. Once women collectively do this, then i believe the world will collective change.

Because that immaterial power cannot be measured by Newtonian physics........Listen r6r6...? forget your studies brother of the human brain, this stuff i am talking about cannot be measured by any studies of matter or biology! it cannot be understood my Newtonian physics.......for me it goes way beyond brain function! but fair play i see why you brought that up!

And i believe that some women understand this, and know this deep down. And that's why some of them are into spirituality, but only time will tell.......

I can spot these type of women from like 1 billion miles away..hahaha. And i feel like there are more and more of these types of women appearing by the day...

Enjoy yourself ladies.
Do you see this type of woman often? I feel that I'm starting to see brilliance in women more often. Maybe it's a reflection of where I'm headed (hopefully).

Mr Interesting
03-11-2015, 06:46 PM
If I got to a point where I was seeing something more in women than I was in men I'd wonder what point it was I was looking from and why it was that I was choosing to see things that way... so less of what I was actually seeing and why I might be seeing it that way.

And, of course, I have recently been in a position where women had the outlook almost already in place to embrace a particular way of working but the men seemed resistant to that. But to just settle within that perspective was too easy, too conformist as it were, and I had to look somewhat deeper and wider for what was in effect less about men and women and more about interactive roles and personality types.

So even with the men and women thing, in what I was doing, there became a tendency to see tthe women who were problematic as having a man view instilled to be directed and the men also have a women view to be encouraged... but held as lightly as possible because it seems when you nail things down like that you lose the possibilites of the blurring of edges which can help us see the wider existence of possibilities.

r6r6
03-11-2015, 11:33 PM
..."So we maybe could do search and see if males dominate in the savant field. My guess is that we will find that to be the case."...

Ok, found time to the search, and only skimmed a Wiki article but it states there is men to women ratio of 6:1 of idiot savants. Will need to read more sites to confirm this but it does make sense with my given lopsided brain idea.

r6

Also consider this, are there more idiot savant males than females?
If so then this may relate to my givens below in previous email, regarding males tending toward the use of only one hemi-sphere of brain, than females.
Ergo males being more focused on a topic or project issue whatever, and with idiot savants we see the brain going off the deep end with only a few specific outstanding abilities.
Only recently have they discovered a quasi-savant male who can and actually describe what is going on inside his brain, but he still cannot drive a car, and he has a few if not many sort of nit-picky/narrow/anal actions that he cannot get beyond.
Like weighing his breakfest on a scale to exaclty so many ounces.
So we maybe could do search and see if males dominate in the savant field. My guess is that we will find that to be the case.

r6

SeaZen
07-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Spirituality is the support of life, generally speaking, and the environment that supports life, yet more men loose it mentally and allow themselves to take out others on their pathway to self-destruction.

This is true of the 1% of the male population that controls banking and politics and perhaps the members of the general population who are alcoholics but not the rest.

The divine masculine is different than the divine feminine and it is a mistake to denigrate men if they do not emulate the divine feminine just as much as it would be a mistake to denigrate women for not emulating the divine masculine. Both would be wise to incorporate traits of both.

It is true among the general population that some men do not emulate the divine masculine but the same can be said for women not emulating the divine feminine. i.e. many women allow fear and anxiety to cloud their relationships with themselves, their children and their mate. Many also are overly dependent on their mate and look for completion in their mate instead of themselves.

To generalize as you have above promotes highly negative beliefs that moves things backwards instead of forwards. As a gender, we need to encourage one another and tactfully point out areas that could use improvement instead of disparaging one another as this thread and your statement seem to do.

Rokon
07-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Interesting topic for me, the differences between men and women. And I was glad to see this thread revived this morning. I've found it much more useful to research these differences as "energies" as opposed to gender. On some other thread on this forum, can't remember who or when, but I was surprised to hear him talk about divine masculine and divine feminine energies. I prefer using the word essence over "energies" however.

I've noticed there are no more women on this thread, as far as I can tell.

r6r6
07-11-2015, 07:48 PM
Interesting topic for me, the differences between men and women.

Females bear the progeny ergo the have days, week months invested in direct nurturing via the naval chord as an organism of their body.

Then the have emotional bond to the baby after chord is and I believe, that, in general this emotional bond is stronger in females than males and that may be specificall related to the previous days, weeks months the female has passed through in carrying the baby inside as and intimate organism of the mother.

Based on the above, I repeat, that, I think women tend more towards my intial definition of spirituality as support of biological life and ecological systems that support an sustain biological life.

Sure men care for themselves, family and others, however, their support of life does not carry emotion the physical ergo emotional bond of baby that is growing within.

That is what I believe, and I dont know if any studies even exist that can measure a qualitative nature of support, or caring for, another biological species of the same species.

Again that is generally speaking i.e. on average more that way than the other. As always there are specific cases that bear-out other ways.

r6

Clover
08-11-2015, 04:24 AM
Back to topic you two.

Sooo, in conclusion, did we come up with a consensus? :D

Rokon
08-11-2015, 05:02 AM
Sooo, in conclusion, did we come up with a consensus? :D
Yes. Men Are From Mars, Women Are from Venus. :laughing8:

Clover
08-11-2015, 05:38 AM

I would say that is a fair assessment to make. Perhaps, we are descendants from Aliens with a failed attempt at socializing our gender roles on planet earth.

http://www.kappit.com/img/uploads/20150115_181825_.jpg

r6r6
08-11-2015, 06:49 AM

I think I addressed this with more specifics.

Female brains are more active in both hemi-spheres.

Men tend toward abilities to become more singly focused and I think a 6:1 ratio of male idiot savants than female tend towards confirming or validating that idea i.e. men tend to be more lopsided--- more one or other hemi-sphere instead of both --- with their thougth processing.

And Ive given very cosmically related concepts using geometry that show how female and male can be considered as equals in some metaphysical-1 aspect, yet their functionality processies, at optimum, are at 90 degrees to each other( see link ) (http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/s01/figs/f00103.html), and can be visualize as the most primary/fundamental and minimal polyhedral structure of Universe.

The tetra(4)hedron. 4 vertexes and 4 surface planes or openings.

Female Xx

Male Xy

Female and male = Xx - Xy ergo a fourness
-----------------------------------------------------------------
A tetrahedron has 12 surface angles and totals 720 degrees.

Female as 360 degree great circle

Male as 360 degree great circle

Female and male as 720 degrees
--------------------------------------------------------

Humans have 12 cranial nerves. Perhaps 24 if they exist as bilateral set.

There is so much more to cosmological scenario going on here, that Ive only touched the surface of ---with some fundamental geometries that I believe are related to fundamentals of complex biologicals.

r6

bluebird21
08-11-2015, 10:59 PM
My socially-influenced assumption is that more women than men have an interest in New Age as a kind of hobby and/or identity. But, I gotta believe equal amounts of men and women across the globe are authentically interested in spirituality aka the deeply personal journey of discovering the true nature of ourselves and reality.

Clover
08-11-2015, 11:57 PM
This thread is now closed for cleaning and further review. Please keep in mind the rules of the forum before posting, including the rules of respect and discussion.
Thanks,
Clover

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item

Respect: Please respect other member’s and their beliefs, opinions, and views at all times. Members are also advised to be polite to other members at all times. Aggression, disrespect, baiting, flaming, homophobia , racism , name calling (this includes calling people trolls or accusing them of trolling.), belittling, sarcasm, bullying, gossiping, are all unacceptable behaviour and will, if persistent despite reminders and warnings, result in Disciplinary Action. If, however, the breach of the above rule is considered too severe, Staff may at their discretion forego both the reminder and warning and resort immediately to Disciplinary Action. Adversarial and aggressive posts deter people who would like to contribute to discussions from participation in these boards.

Discussion: Members are reminded this is a discussion forum and not a debate forum. That is to say: Debates are destructive as they present one-sided opinions and destroy reasoned arguments, whereas discussions are constructive and encourage the expression of opinion. Trolling and preaching are not forms of discussion and posts or threads of that nature may be deleted, and those who persistently debate / troll / preach without looking to discuss may be subject to warnings leading to Disciplinary Action.