PDA

View Full Version : Would You Side With Happiness or Achievement?

MOLA
20-10-2015, 07:05 AM
Hello SF :)

I have a very intriguing question that I'd like to know your response to; and it goes something like this:

If life gave you a choice between two roads; one leads to more emotional happiness and one leads to your desired goals which would you choose?

If you don't mind, please elaborate on exactly why you choose that path. I am on vacation at the moment and I have the power to choose between two roads; one that would lead me to either happiness or materialistic goals. :)

Thank you!

TheGlow
20-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Seriously. Money means nothing if you aren't happy. There are a lot of suicidl rich people. Always go for happy as long a you can cover your needs and eventually save a bit for the future.

ocean breeze
20-10-2015, 07:58 AM
My desired goals led to my emotional happiness.

Eyeland
20-10-2015, 07:59 AM
If it's true hapiness you know for certain it will last, go for it. If it's a fiery love affair be very wary of rose-colored glasses. I may sound overly unemotional but i'd go for material success first, then establish hapiness on strong foundations. I'd agree that money means little if you're not happy. But if your kids grow up in poverty being miserable, you just cannot be happy i believe. Not menaing spoiling them, but have the essentials. Balance is always the best road, and common sense (so uncommon...) one of the most valuable treasures out there.

sky
20-10-2015, 08:29 AM

I have a very intriguing question that I'd like to know your response to; and it goes something like this:

If life gave you a choice between two roads; one leads to more emotional happiness and one leads to your desired goals which would you choose?

If you don't mind, please elaborate on exactly why you choose that path. I am on vacation at the moment and I have the power to choose between two roads; one that would lead me to either happiness or materialistic goals. :)

Thank you!

As happiness is a state of mind you can achieve it in whatever path you choose.

Dwerg
20-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Emotional happiness, however life doesn't work like the choice you presented. There would be no point reaching the desired goals if achieving it didn't make me happy, but more often than not I'm over the top happy when I reach what I have suffered to achieve. That's really what passion is and why people do it, because the reward is worth the pain. I choose emotional happiness over achieving the goal if the reward is not worth the pain.

Also worth mentioning is that not every goal is materialistic and materialism is not a sin.

linen53
20-10-2015, 12:36 PM
My life has been very hard. I've had periods of learning what I came here to learn and there have been times when I was blissfully happy. I think we need a little bit of both. To much of the learning theme without some happiness can bog me down. And if there is not hope, what can I learn?

blackraven
20-10-2015, 01:21 PM

Thank you!

Molattee - Nice question. I would choose to more emotional happiness. I have set goals in life and watched them slip away. My only remaining goal is to stay healthy as long as possible, but maintaining emotional happiness drives every aspect of ones mental and emotional well-being.

I used to live in a tight neighborhood with a next door neighbor that drove me to not use my yard. I lived for years keeping myself tucked within the walls of my home. I will just say this...I felt like I was quickly dying every day. Then what I could only describe as divine intervention I found myself moving from that prison to a property with acreage, wildlife, wonderful people around and suddenly I began waking back up. That's just one example of emotional happiness. It saved me. It was never my goal to leave that house as I had planned to live my entire life there. I went from being miserable to emotionally happy. That doesn't happy for a lot of people and I have a lot of gratitude every day for where I live and the state of mind I'm in now.

Lorelyen
20-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Impossible. Both roads merged into one some time ago. To try to separate them would be like asking which you prefer to have, a heart or a brain. One without the other wouldn't work.

wstein
20-10-2015, 05:09 PM
If life gave you a choice between two roads; one leads to more emotional happiness and one leads to your desired goals which would you choose? Choose your desired goals. Its way easier to be happy when your goals are satisfied. Also there are generally more ways to be happy than to achieve your goals.

Choosing happiness first leaves unfulfilled goals. They erode happiness, leaving you back where you are now only a bit older.

lighter
21-10-2015, 10:02 AM

Thank you!

Desire to win.

It will bring money, heightened level of concentration, purpose and happiness.

In the end, the one who says money is not everything have not walked on Earth yet. That is my opinion.

Lorelyen
21-10-2015, 01:25 PM
Desire to win.

It will bring money, heightened level of concentration, purpose and happiness.

In the end, the one who says money is not everything have not walked on Earth yet. That is my opinion.

Hahahaha! Money isn't everything - only what it can provide for you. Some people are materialist and spend their lives labouring (or risking) to transfer the contents of malls into their homes. Money hoarders are as Freud described them: anal retenters.

The only time money is as good as everything is when you have enough to be able to make a rude sign to the system of things and do your own thing - but you only get that sort of money through inheritance or a lottery win plus investment.

I'll leave you to walk the earth then, if or when you have enough. PS best to avoid the Middle East at the moment. Take a detour around Cape Horn.

Tanemon
21-10-2015, 03:38 PM

On the surface, yours sounds like a question that people could answer philosophically, from their own life experience. But, Molatee, I'm not sure what you mean by "materialistic goals" - that's pretty vague. Are you talking about modest materialistic goals? decent living quarters, healthy daily diet, acceptable clothing, safe transportation, plus enough money to buy books, see movies, buy internet time, go to restaurants from time to time? (and what about family or children - do you have these?)

Or are you talking about living like the proverbial "rock star"? lavish home, travel to varied resorts, lots of toys you play with for a while then leave idle and forget about?

Rokon
21-10-2015, 04:05 PM

Imagine an older you, on your deathbed pondering life, regrets. What would you have done differently?

higherpower
21-10-2015, 04:59 PM
I'd choose my goals. I'm pretty content and happy at the moment. My goals would bring fulfillment and happiness. I guess though, that decision is because of what goals I have set.

lighter
21-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Hahahaha! Money isn't everything - only what it can provide for you. Some people are materialist and spend their lives labouring (or risking) to transfer the contents of malls into their homes. Money hoarders are as Freud described them: anal retenters.

The only time money is as good as everything is when you have enough to be able to make a rude sign to the system of things and do your own thing - but you only get that sort of money through inheritance or a lottery win plus investment.

I'll leave you to walk the earth then, if or when you have enough. PS best to avoid the Middle East at the moment. Take a detour around Cape Horn.

Great to know , knuckles!

At least you laughed.

As I said,the desire the will comes first. That brings rewards.

Speaking of the economic migrants fleeing from the middle east, don't worry, they are reaching the UK. I am sure they will appreciate your insights ;=)

lighter
21-10-2015, 05:44 PM
On the surface, yours sounds like a question that people could answer philosophically, from their own life experience. But, Molatee, I'm not sure what you mean by "materialistic goals" - that's pretty vague. Are you talking about modest materialistic goals? decent living quarters, healthy daily diet, acceptable clothing, safe transportation, plus enough money to buy books, see movies, buy internet time, go to restaurants from time to time? (and what about family or children - do you have these?)

Or are you talking about living like the proverbial "rock star"? lavish home, travel to varied resorts, lots of toys you play with for a while then leave idle and forget about?

Reading your post reminded me of my job and annoying the other person to understand what they were thinking as they assume I know what they are thinking about.

Kudos!:D

Lucyan28
21-10-2015, 06:01 PM
I would choose a third one: Pure Love :D (I know I'm a cheetah, right?)

In that way I would have/be everything =)

kindness&light
22-10-2015, 07:30 AM
Happiness..... whatever it takes to make me happy, so that could be an achievement or being in love. It doesn't matter what makes me happy, but being happy is the goal x

IamPoltergeist
23-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Happiness is Achievement.
Achievement without Happiness is an oxymoron.
:)