then I thank God I can speak to my heart

If I can’t hold awareness in this body then,
I am truly blessed to withhold it in sprit

From time to time I will experience darkness,
through which I will search for the blessed light

while pain and suffering may appear at any moment,
I will send loving kindness and compassion to heal it

while I am...
I will hold in this mind while it lasts the very essence of the Divine Lord at all times...
no illness pain or suffering will dare enter therein...

OM OM OM

Heart
18-10-2015, 02:31 AM
A true story of the mind...

A few years ago I felt a great sadness in this mind, a mixture of hopelessness, fear and anger all rolled into one, it was quite overpowering and on occasions I needed to cry because of the extreme sadness and sorrow I felt,

I wanted to do something about it

I meditated on it for ages trying to control these emotions and negative thoughts and found it still niggling away in the background, I walked for an hour a day, sure enough I calmed the mind, soothed the emotions/thoughts but they would be back.... with a vengeance.

I tried to smile when I felt sad, I would keep myself busy so as to keep the mind occupied, I would get angry at being angry with myself for going through these emotions because I could see the fruitlessness of them and couldn't stop them, the moment I rested, these negative emotions and thoughts just pop up from nowhere.

'I wanted to do something'........ about the negativity, the anger, the unfairness, the great feeling of being dissatisfied with life,

but in 'wanting' to overcome these things they became a part of my life, they came to me out of my wanting them to go.

Seeing this I stopped wanting to do something and concentrated on being at peace, at being content, at being free from outside influences no matter what was happening, no longer wanting, needing

Note I went from wanting, needing to.... being

There is a simple prayer that sums this up.....

'The Lord is my Sheppard, I shall not want'

Heart
18-10-2015, 02:53 AM
another lifes story to ponder on over adversity

My dog is the master....I am the student.

Pretty much a bold statement I know but a recent event has taught me a valuable lifelong lesson which I would like to share

My dog 'pippa' has lost the use of her back legs, she has a good chance of recovery but there is of course the time needed to heal and its heart breaking to cage her for long durations. Especially as she is not used to it

While she is disabled. In this mind the thoughts of worst scenarios take place, the cost of vets bills, will have to put her down, she must be in a lot of pain, worried how she will cope, worst still how will I cope and so on... All this may sound familiar to a few people here as the mind/ego.

I soon cottoned on to this realising that only I am creating my own illusions of doom and gloom. No one else can even contemplate what it is I'm thinking, unless I tell them, that would bring sympathy at the least but not true understanding of the situation.

Because I stopped alluding myself I could finally observe the one thing that I was supposed to learn from this situation, It is such a small but simple observation that is most profound in its meaning and would normally go unnoticed.

Pippa was teaching that even with a disability and all the heartache that goes with it (heartache on my part more likely} she would still continue her life as if nothing had changed, in-fact it didn't seem to bother her dragging her legs behind as if it wasn't part of her body, occasionally looking to see what was stopping her then continue to crash into things without a care in the world.

She teaches the art of detachment, not concerned with a troublesome body that seems to act in its own way, without a care for the things that might be, or might not be however you look at it, she opens up the potential to look at everything including other people, other animals and events or situations as a good opportunity to learn...

...about yourself

Gem
18-10-2015, 03:10 AM

A few years ago I felt a great sadness in this mind, a mixture of hopelessness, fear and anger all rolled into one, it was quite overpowering and on occasions I needed to cry because of the extreme sadness and sorrow I felt,

I meditated on it for ages trying to control these emotions and negative thoughts and found it still niggling away in the background, I walked for an hour a day, sure enough I calmed the mind, soothed the emotions/thoughts but they would be back.... with a vengeance.

I tried to smile when I felt sad, I would keep myself busy so as to keep the mind occupied, I would get angry at being angry with myself for going through these emotions because I could see the fruitlessness of them and couldn't stop them, the moment I rested, these negative emotions and thoughts just pop up from nowhere.

'I wanted to do something'........ about the negativity, the anger, the unfairness, the great feeling of being dissatisfied with life,

but in 'wanting' to overcome these things they became a part of my life, they came to me out of my wanting them to go.

Seeing this I stopped wanting to do something and concentrated on being at peace, at being content, at being free from outside influences no matter what was happening, no longer wanting, needing

Ok. I have been debating in my mind, as I learn several different counselling strategies which often contradict themselves and each other, if there is an approach that is universally effective, or if there are different approaches that are effective to different individuals. I'm from a meditation background so I am heavily biased toward mindfulness approaches, which you basically describe. The principle of mindfulness is universal because everyone is an observer, but I am doubtful about it effectiveness as a universal emotional healing strategy. My bias, or even my experience as meditator, indicates that fundamental aspect of neutral non-judgmental awareness is universal to healing processes, but I also see the healing on a multidimensional level which entails physical circumstances and is not regardless of them. For example, I have spoken with homeless persons who experienced extreme anxiety and depression who claim they couldn't recover while homeless or in abusive homes, and only began their recovery after being stably housed. There are important considerations of personal physical and emotional safety, stability and security that enable healing processes, and there are certain emotional blocks that won't arise due to circumstances that are unsafe in some way - and if they did arise in such circumstances, there is a huge risk that could lead to further harm.

I could go on for way too long, but overall I am led to believe that a healing is a deeply personal phenomena that operates on several levels at once simultaneously, and singularly focused strategies, including mindfulness, don't encompass the whole person in the context of their physical, mental, spiritual, social and environmental lives.

I also come from a horticultural background and from working with plants I came to believe, if you provide the conditions most conducive to growth, then things will grow well, but if you don't take care of conditions for growth, you will never see healthy plants.

Lorelyen
18-10-2015, 07:54 AM
Poem about overcoming adversity

When I have a cold,
I always look forward to getting better,

When I am injured,
I look only to the day I can freely move this body

If this body fails in some way and I loose all expression,
then I thank God I can speak to my heart

If I can’t hold awareness in this body then,
I am truly blessed to withhold it in sprit

From time to time I will experience darkness,
through which I will search for the blessed light

while pain and suffering may appear at any moment,
I will send loving kindness and compassion to heal it

while I am...
I will hold in this mind while it lasts the very essence of the Divine Lord at all times...
no illness pain or suffering will dare enter therein...

OM OM OM

Beautiful words....caught me quite by surprise! You know, that would almost make a contemplation for anyone feeling down - or to prevent themselves ever feeling down. Something to say before going to bed or on awakening, not a prayer, a thanksgiving, maybe?

Positive, affirmative words.

:smile:

Heart
18-10-2015, 02:56 PM
Beautiful words....caught me quite by surprise! You know, that would almost make a contemplation for anyone feeling down - or to prevent themselves ever feeling down. Something to say before going to bed or on awakening, not a prayer, a thanksgiving, maybe?

Positive, affirmative words.

:smile:

Thank you, then I give you and anyone permission to use this as a blessing for what ever may suit you, just be sure to put my user name at the bottom is all

I used this once just after the two minutes silence on Rememberance Sunday

Heart
18-10-2015, 03:27 PM
Ok. I have been debating in my mind, as I learn several different counselling strategies which often contradict themselves and each other, if there is an approach that is universally effective, or if there are different approaches that are effective to different individuals. I'm from a meditation background so I am heavily biased toward mindfulness approaches, which you basically describe. The principle of mindfulness is universal because everyone is an observer, but I am doubtful about it effectiveness as a universal emotional healing strategy. My bias, or even my experience as meditator, indicates that fundamental aspect of neutral non-judgmental awareness is universal to healing processes, but I also see the healing on a multidimensional level which entails physical circumstances and is not regardless of them. For example, I have spoken with homeless persons who experienced extreme anxiety and depression who claim they couldn't recover while homeless or in abusive homes, and only began their recovery after being stably housed. There are important considerations of personal physical and emotional safety, stability and security that enable healing processes, and there are certain emotional blocks that won't arise due to circumstances that are unsafe in some way - and if they did arise in such circumstances, there is a huge risk that could lead to further harm.

I could go on for way too long, but overall I am led to believe that a healing is a deeply personal phenomena that operates on several levels at once simultaneously, and singularly focused strategies, including mindfulness, don't encompass the whole person in the context of their physical, mental, spiritual, social and environmental lives.

I also come from a horticultural background and from working with plants I came to believe, if you provide the conditions most conducive to growth, then things will grow well, but if you don't take care of conditions for growth, you will never see healthy plants.

Hopefully I understand your wording, please correct me if Im wrong,,, mindfulness is a form of meditation, meditation of any form is personal and never universal in its practice, being mindfull is, if you really look at the word as that of observing a "full mind" and letting its contents in what ever form that may be to disipate without any attachment to it

Mr Interesting
18-10-2015, 07:52 PM
I just made a set of drawers, I had to because the idea to make them has been sitting in my workshop for so long that to cleanup and tidy the workshop basically meant building that set of drawers. But let's take it for granted that in wanting to clean up the whole place was a mess and so building something from scratch was somewhat difficult as tools were scattered every which way but at the same time, because they'd been used recently, they were still somewhat at hand, as in the memory of their use, but where they actually were, to come to that hand when needed, was in the realms of maybe and hopefully.

This is kinda adversity to me where I have to almost force myself into non-preparation but just completely following the task at hand which simply means that instead of collecting together the tools I will need at the next step, which is nigh on impossible as they even seem to hide in plain sight, but go completely with doing what needs done as it presents itself for only in that mode will that previously hidden tool suddenly be right there where it's needed.

And so within this almost created adversity upon adversity the natural flow of that future that always was just simply finds it's way with me simply watching the process unfold, and glory upon glories, I am even able to work my hands within it both watching and even doing as a form of watching. I love it!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/quickkiwi/IMG_20151019_081504_zpslfn25dsb.jpg
It occurred to me as I was building it that the inner surfaces of all these picked up and rescued parts of cast aside furniture is what I love the most so in this piece I had them all turned round where the rough inner was now the outer but as well I had the bit's left over from my last load of works and one or two bits picked up very recently and all of this seemed effortlessly to coalesce into the actual use I had for it.

The use is by the door to my abode and it's like a staging area where on one hand I want outer wear, jackets, boots and hat's, to be available as I come in or am leaving but it's also an area to collect things to be reminded of them as new before they find a place in storage or as a lever to get some idea or possibility going.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/quickkiwi/IMG_20151019_081518_zpskaofebnt.jpg
So this word adventure lies under the best of the stuff I might put on this top surface and isn't that absolutely wonderful! And it was an afterthought... as the best things are. I'd decided on the top because it was not only split and I would be reminded of the broken things but the channels cut through it defined it's purpose yet I didn't need to follow that but could define my own though, all well and good such ideals, common sense told me that it would fill up with dust and detritus so easily and my forgetfulness make cleaning a chore so I needed to keep the look but cover the reality and so this remaining shard of already cast aside and binned perspex fulfilled that role.

Not only that but I am totally reminded of adventures which is what life is and this too is closely linked to adversity, that saying that fortune favours the brave, and with a healthy dose of my predicament where 'Fools rush in where angels fear to tread' is changed around to 'Angels rush in where fools fear to tread' as I embrace my own sense of what it all is given, and a very big given, I even am an ounce of right... but such dividends that come my way without asking it behoves me to admit adversity a fine and able friend.

It's so much like the tempering of steel where after being worked into a tool and all the stresses this involves are brought to a heat then quenched to make that tool the best tool it can be.

Belle
18-10-2015, 07:57 PM

Tom Kenyon speaks powerfully about the Psalm 23. It's a conversation with teh higher self. I forget the detail how he unpacks it so beautifully but it's sensational when you think of how you can strengthen your connection with your higher self in such a way. And as you say - that is just "being".

Gem
18-10-2015, 11:26 PM
Hopefully I understand your wording, please correct me if Im wrong,,, mindfulness is a form of meditation, meditation of any form is personal and never universal in its practice, being mindfull is, if you really look at the word as that of observing a "full mind" and letting its contents in what ever form that may be to disipate without any attachment to it

Well, I wouldn't say the word is a literal meaning - 'mindful' means to be 'conscious of', like they say, 'mind the gap'. Contents are whatever they are but it makes no difference if they dissipate or not. Mindfulness is the mere conscious awareness of things, not the changing of them. Things change anyway, its inevitable. I guess there's three parts: conscious awareness of what is. Neutral disposition. Let it be as it is.

yeshee camar
06-11-2015, 08:46 PM
there's dumb on out is is the and the realest unparallel-eed ad-versi-ty.

'what does one's click on as,' a learned to 'on' click - is is the realest prop afterscore what is up / /
'what does one's click on as,' a learned to 'on' click - is is the realest prop afterscore what is down.

and unparallel-eed ad-versi-ty is but a pinch on the nose and doesnt count all the way through but what we notable be and all what really kept us alive.

yea- allot of helpful come through-
// // // // // // // //
: : : : : : : : : :