PDA

View Full Version : How does our inner child interact with physical adulthood?

Fleur de Frost
13-10-2015, 07:03 AM
'Inner child', to me, denotes the piece of us that still believes in magic. The calling towards wonder, innocence, fun, imagination - anything that fosters a genuine awe and enthusiasm for life.

It seems like the common mindset is for youth to be surrendered with age. What does that mean, exactly? Does it refer only to the negative and unrefined aspects (immaturity, irresponsibility) of our child-based selves? Or does it mean losing the rose colored glasses we were born with?

Baaasically: as we travel deeper into adulthood on the physical plane, do we need to foster or let go of our inner child? Does the age of our vessel relate to our soul's development?

Thank you so much! :)

Deepsoul
13-10-2015, 07:20 AM
One can only see Gods kingdom through innocent pure eyes ,spiritual enlightenment leads not to rose glasses but to a love that grows with age conquering judgement ,pride and selfishness and returning us to our true selves.

Gem
13-10-2015, 07:31 AM
'Inner child', to me, denotes the piece of us that still believes in magic. The calling towards wonder, innocence, fun, imagination - anything that fosters a genuine awe and enthusiasm for life.

It seems like the common mindset is for youth to be surrendered with age. What does that mean, exactly? Does it refer only to the negative and unrefined aspects (immaturity, irresponsibility) of our child-based selves? Or does it mean losing the rose colored glasses we were born with?

Baaasically: as we travel deeper into adulthood on the physical plane, do we need to foster or let go of our inner child? Does the age of our vessel relate to our soul's development?

I think everyone carries a child with them that needs to be cared for. I had an experience where I went back and retrieved the child. This brought on a process of re-establishing trust. At one point in childhood, through confusing and traumatic circumstances, the person splits their persona and the one we know grows into adulthood leaving an abandoned child in time.

Thich Nhat Hanh Talks about this. Here is the PDF of the book. The introduction spells it out according to the author. It's a good book.

http://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/Thich%20Nhat%20Hanh%20-%20Reconciliation.pdf

naturesflow
13-10-2015, 07:53 AM

'Inner child', to me, denotes the piece of us that still believes in magic. The calling towards wonder, innocence, fun, imagination - anything that fosters a genuine awe and enthusiasm for life. -you said it! Why would you let go of al this? My inner child now that she isn't in pain, is allowed to express herself through the adult integration with all those aspects you have shared as a source to use anytime..:) True self is an integration of your whole self, inclusive of the inner child..

Gem
13-10-2015, 08:16 AM
'Inner child', to me, denotes the piece of us that still believes in magic. The calling towards wonder, innocence, fun, imagination - anything that fosters a genuine awe and enthusiasm for life. -you said it! Why would you let go of al this? My inner child now that she isn't in pain, is allowed to express herself through the adult integration with all those aspects you have shared as a source to use anytime..:) True self is an integration of your whole self, inclusive of the inner child..

That's the crux of it. :smile:

Fleur de Frost
13-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Makes much more sense now. Thank you, everyone! :)

So, just to clarify - Even though I'll be 20 in a few months, I still feel like I'm internally 8. I understand and appreciate the importance of *positive* adultlike tendencies: organization, responsibility, etc. But it feels like I can't live out my mission here without calling on everything my inner child adores. That's when I truly feel like me.

That's not just a subconscious repression of death, is it? Sorry! I know this just got very psychological very fast :) but with the common tendency to run back to youth as we get older, simply because we believe it will make us feel immortal, scares me. I want to sustain my inner child, but for my higher purpose - not the fear of death. Just not sure how to clarify the two.

Gem
13-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Makes much more sense now. Thank you, everyone! :)

So, just to clarify - Even though I'll be 20 in a few months, I still feel like I'm internally 8. I understand and appreciate the importance of *positive* adultlike tendencies: organization, responsibility, etc. But it feels like I can't live out my mission here without calling on everything my inner child adores. That's when k truly feel like me.

To be sure, be the adult that calls on everything the child adores.:smile:

That's not just a subconscious repression of death, is it? Sorry! I know this just got very psychological very fast :) but with the common tendency to run back to youth as we get older, simply because we believe it will make us feel immortal, scares me. I want to sustain my inner child, but for my higher purpose - not the fear of death. Just not sure how to clarify the two.

7luminaries
13-10-2015, 09:12 PM
I think everyone carries a child with them that needs to be cared for. I had an experience where I went back and retrieved the child. This brought on a process of re-establishing trust. At one point in childhood, through confusing and traumatic circumstances, the person splits their persona and the one we know grows into adulthood leaving an abandoned child in time.

Thich Nhat Hanh Talks about this. Here is the PDF of the book. The introduction spells it out according to the author. It's a good book.

http://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/Thich%20Nhat%20Hanh%20-%20Reconciliation.pdf

Thanks for the link. Really wonderful stuff, as all his writings are that I've read thus far.