PDA

View Full Version : Outside Looking In

Lynn
09-10-2015, 12:34 AM
Hello

I have recently returned to the world of working after some 20 years of not working. Leaving it first for health issues then three kids came along. So I was blessed to be a stay at home Mom.

Before I left the workforce I was retail management and those doors were open to me again to re enter the work world but I know well the hours management puts in so I did not want to go there. I took a job at a grocery chain store in the produce department. Entry level position for minimum wage.

I am finding that it is testing me spiritually being there as I am on the outside looking in. Being management I know well now things are to be done, how to handle staff and how to organize time. I have to stop and remind myself that I am there for a reason I put it out to the "Universe" I wanted something to do to occupy my time and get me out of the house for a bit. LOL be careful what you put out there WOW I work hard and am tired at the end of the work day !

What I am learning is that I am there for a reason, it is on some levels spiritual work as I not only stock the products but I am there to help customers out with their needs. Being an Empathy I can sense the emotions of everyone around me. I can feel when they need something before they say it.....and some are surprised by that one. I am always smiling and pleasant and that is being noticed.

Being former management I see the issues that are wrong but being just a general clerk I am free to turn and walk away. LOL I am now maybe hearing how my former employees talked about me when as their boss was not in ear shot....LOL. Most interesting experience I am having.

Have you ever been the boss in something and wondered what is said behind your back? Its very interesting.

Lynn

Gracey
09-10-2015, 12:44 AM
What other people think of me is none of my business. That's my view on it.:D

Deepsoul
09-10-2015, 01:32 AM
Being out in the work force certainly tests ones spirtuality with all the different personalities and situations, never have been a boss but worked in a dress shop by my self for a while and pretended I was lol loved the freedom to do as I pleased. Have fun and enjoy your creation Lynn....:smile:

naturesflow
09-10-2015, 01:34 AM
Hello

I have recently returned to the world of working after some 20 years of not working. Leaving it first for health issues then three kids came along. So I was blessed to be a stay at home Mom.

Before I left the workforce I was retail management and those doors were open to me again to re enter the work world but I know well the hours management puts in so I did not want to go there. I took a job at a grocery chain store in the produce department. Entry level position for minimum wage.

I am finding that it is testing me spiritually being there as I am on the outside looking in. Being management I know well now things are to be done, how to handle staff and how to organize time. I have to stop and remind myself that I am there for a reason I put it out to the "Universe" I wanted something to do to occupy my time and get me out of the house for a bit. LOL be careful what you put out there WOW I work hard and am tired at the end of the work day !

What I am learning is that I am there for a reason, it is on some levels spiritual work as I not only stock the products but I am there to help customers out with their needs. Being an Empathy I can sense the emotions of everyone around me. I can feel when they need something before they say it.....and some are surprised by that one. I am always smiling and pleasant and that is being noticed.

Being former management I see the issues that are wrong but being just a general clerk I am free to turn and walk away. LOL I am now maybe hearing how my former employees talked about me when as their boss was not in ear shot....LOL. Most interesting experience I am having.

Have you ever been the boss in something and wondered what is said behind your back? Its very interesting.

Lynn

Yes it was one of my greatest spiritual lessons. To stop worrying about what others think and get on with my life and what I need to do. Being an observer of things that no longer serve you is part of learning as well, that way we don't let those blockages get in our way, if we can help it of course..

Learning and growing through many views, open worlds in us on so many sides to ground deeper in our true self and get on with things..:wink:

We get many opportunities in many ways to walk in the shoes of all life, in so many ways for this journey. And jobs don't stop that process, in fact life in general is a whole learning space for spirit matters where you are, is where it all is as you are one with you :)

Mr Interesting
09-10-2015, 02:10 AM
Good bosses hang out at the bottom and listen and make it work. Whatever comes from on high is like rain and you cover up so you don't get wet but it's not really about that is it?

Inside looking out, outside looking... doesn't matter. Make it work or leave and go somewhere where it wants to work, the whole thing.

naturesflow
09-10-2015, 02:24 AM
Good bosses hang out at the bottom and listen and make it work. Whatever comes from on high is like rain and you cover up so you don't get wet but it's not really about that is it?

Inside looking out, outside looking... doesn't matter. Make it work or leave and go somewhere where it wants to work, the whole thing.

Yes, choice will arise as it does..:wink:

ocean breeze
09-10-2015, 06:02 AM
I already know most of my co-workers talk behind my back when i'm not around. They do that with almost everyone. And i've already p*ssed most of them off so i'm sure they have plenty to say. But that's ok, while i'm out enjoying my life, they're stuck at work talking about mine :biggrin:.

As for being a boss. Nah, never had any desire to be a boss or manager. I don't like being in a position of authority. I'm a rule breaker, not a rule maker. :D

Ivy
09-10-2015, 06:13 AM
Hmmm, a decent manager should care about what people think of them. It doesn't mean that they can always make decisions that please the work force. But the attitude of not worrying what the work force thinks is not a luxury that management can afford.

Lol, and I'm hearing it from SF management too - shock, horror :icon_eek:

But it wasn't you that said that Lynne, and I hope you will remember how management talked about the workforce too, and will be able to see the inside from being within it... and not just be on the outside looking in. There are many beautiful caring people that are humble enough to stay in the place where they are able to really help people the most, ie, from the ground up... not from some place on high not worrying about other peoples feelings.

Gracey
09-10-2015, 11:48 AM
A decent manager cares about people of course. Just not to the point where it influences their own self worth. If you would of understood what I meant by those words Ivy you would not be in such shock, horror.

Gem
09-10-2015, 11:59 AM
Yea - it is interesting to see how the different positions relate and interact, and it's not easy to understand the perspectives of positions apart from your own, but my view is, there's much more going on than immediately meets the eye, and things are more complex than than they first appear to be. Mainly, there's real people before there are positions, and it's easy to forget that in the workplace.

Ivy
09-10-2015, 06:18 PM
A decent manager cares about people of course. Just not to the point where it influences their own self worth. If you would of understood what I meant by those words Ivy you would not be in such shock, horror.

You clearly missed the humour in the shock horror lol. Would you genuinely sit there and say 'Ivy, I care about you my dear because you're a member of SF'? I'm under no such delusions and wouldn't expect you to.

But what I pointed out is that a manager should care about what people think of them, because when a workforce doesn't trust the management to make sound professional decisions, then it is in the managers interests to ask why.

The fact is that often the people at ground level understand what works or doesn't work, what customers like or don't like and generally what is going on at ground level, far better than the manager does. When they are not asked or respected to have that superior knowledge, and don't feel that they can go to the management to talk about these things, then frustrations might be expressed in the staff room or muttered comments - that's the way of people who have been rendered powerless to say anything.

So whilst it may be unwise to take it personally, it is equally unwise to brush it off as being 'none of your business' because as a manager whether the workers trust your ability to manage is absolutely your business to understand, and to listen to in a professional manner.

Belle
09-10-2015, 07:04 PM
I had a run-in with a junior manager. He was rude, demanding, and generally treated me bad when I was trying to help. I had a quiet word with his line-manager, the guy apologised, I responded saying that I looked forward to having a beer with him and moved on.

I was horrified to hear today that the little incident had been discussed with my line manager. I don't know what was said. I believe that I handled the situation correctly, but the mind does start racing.

We sit in a small office - five of us. There is one girl who holds the power. Interestingly. She wants the temperature racked up the whole time as she's always cold. And there's me with my hot flashes. - ug. And she likes a radio station racked up. I hate that radio station. I was really surprised when I heard another girl didn't like it so I asked yesterday that it was switched to something different. I was amazed that firstly my request was met. However, whilst I was out of the room the radio was switched off altogether. I said nothing - I don't know what was said. I don't mind - that much. But I do wonder.

I'm no manager. But I am the eldest in the room by a long shot - older than some of the girls moms. And so, sometimes, when it suits them, they regard me as a sounding board. Other times, I think they see me as a stick in the mud.

Gracey
09-10-2015, 07:04 PM
You clearly missed the humour in the shock horror lol. Would you genuinely sit there and say 'Ivy, I care about you my dear because you're a member of SF'? I'm under no such delusions and wouldn't expect you to.

But what I pointed out is that a manager should care about what people think of them, because when a workforce doesn't trust the management to make sound professional decisions, then it is in the managers interests to ask why.

The fact is that often the people at ground level understand what works or doesn't work, what customers like or don't like and generally what is going on at ground level, far better than the manager does. When they are not asked or respected to have that superior knowledge, and don't feel that they can go to the management to talk about these things, then frustrations might be expressed in the staff room or muttered comments - that's the way of people who have been rendered powerless to say anything.

So whilst it may be unwise to take it personally, it is equally unwise to brush it off as being 'none of your business' because as a manager whether the workers trust your ability to manage is absolutely your business to understand, and to listen to in a professional manner.

yep, i missed your humor.

i agree with what you say in regards to the work force, especially in some fields such as therapist or pastors and others like this. Fortunately, i never ran into this situation when i was a "manager" or a "lower level" worker. i learned my work ethic in the military where people have their jobs and do them with out whining or crying about how things are run. those who do do that, don't make it in the military very long. you just do what you are told, everyone has their rank and everyone has their job. military people are obedient. i am sure i would have a different perspective on things if I took a different route in life concerning work matters. i would probably have the same power controls and dramas that most people deal with on a daily basis. I feel for them, I feel for Lynn, being out of the work force for so long and then coming back to it. it would be quite the transition.

on a personal level, i could care less what someone thinks of me cause no one defines me but me.

Belle
09-10-2015, 07:08 PM
My manager is having to make some difficult decisions in firing. And I know I have been the one being made redundant - a well unpopular decision that was - about a year ago.

The responsibility is less with the workforce, and more with "what is right for the business". These things can be done kindly and with compassion and in a way that does take care of the people. But primarily the responsibility is not with the people.

Belle
09-10-2015, 07:10 PM
on a personal level, i could care less what someone thinks of me cause no one defines me but me.

I care too much. I want everyone to like me and as a result, I don't like me. I end up trying too hard and so people smell fraud, fake and don't like me.

Well, there are those who do, but you know what i mean.

Authenticity rocks.

Gracey
09-10-2015, 07:16 PM
I care too much. I want everyone to like me and as a result, I don't like me. I end up trying too hard and so people smell fraud, fake and don't like me.

Well, there are those who do, but you know what i mean.

Authenticity rocks.

i know what ya mean. ya know Belle, every time I talk to you, it is raining outside. think i am gonna go smell the sweet smell of some rain.

Mr Interesting
09-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Yea - it is interesting to see how the different positions relate and interact, and it's not easy to understand the perspectives of positions apart from your own, but my view is, there's much more going on than immediately meets the eye, and things are more complex than than they first appear to be. Mainly, there's real people before there are positions, and it's easy to forget that in the workplace.

Indeed Gem, and such insights taken as a worthy worldview by many more than do so at the moment would be a benefit to humanity in general.

The old treat your neighbour as one would hope to be treated oneself is then to me the prime commandment in being a human in the world and it very often gets me into trouble but at the same time it's always what might be a good trouble, a trouble worth getting into, as it seems to open up those moments where spirit comes through (merely to coin a cliche but see it as suits you... our own deeper awareness, God and Angels appear, whatever and lot's of etc) and makes us all look at things a little different like.

I had one happen the other day and to shorten it right down I had everyones attention even as they were all committed to attending to what they were there for, in the form of a raucous dog and me playing up, then it was too much, which often happens when we play with puppies, and I put my finger to my lips and went 'shoosh puppy' and with all heads turned puppy immediately stopped and went quiet. It was beautiful and I kinda knew right there and then all those people intent on the proscibed life playing with certainty and security had just seen how it can all fit together with fun and freedom. Lovely!!!

Ivy
09-10-2015, 07:46 PM

The bolded is at the core of it. management or floor worker is just a position that has no value in or of itself, it is just one role that is reliant on every other one around it.

management is devalued to non-existence if there is no workers working there.

Belle
09-10-2015, 07:52 PM
i know what ya mean. ya know Belle, every time I talk to you, it is raining outside. think i am gonna go smell the sweet smell of some rain.

Ah the rain. Beautiful. I'm glad you have the moment to breathe in the rain - so much we take for granted yet in some parts of the world there is too much, some parts not enough.

The rain is one reason people find me odd. I love the rain, I have a real affinity with the rain gods. And so I celebrate when it pours, and others curse. That and spiders, the perfect grandmother energy. I cultivate spiders in my flat and bring out that deep wisdom.

Yes, I do clean my flat - it does not look like a scene out of Miss Havisham's house. But I spare the webs and the spiders, as long as they respect my space.

Sorry off subject. I do find the age differential interesting. There is a 21 y/o in the office who is the most junior, but is the brightest, cheeriest, sweetest little thing and is an inspiration. Then there is the 24 y/o who is such a know-it-all, I have to bite my tongue.

But that makes me wonder how patient others are with me when I'm such a know-it-all!

Ivy
09-10-2015, 08:07 PM
yep, i missed your humor.

i agree with what you say in regards to the work force, especially in some fields such as therapist or pastors and others like this. Fortunately, i never ran into this situation when i was a "manager" or a "lower level" worker. i learned my work ethic in the military where people have their jobs and do them with out whining or crying about how things are run. those who do do that, don't make it in the military very long. you just do what you are told, everyone has their rank and everyone has their job. military people are obedient. i am sure i would have a different perspective on things if I took a different route in life concerning work matters. i would probably have the same power controls and dramas that most people deal with on a daily basis. I feel for them, I feel for Lynn, being out of the work force for so long and then coming back to it. it would be quite the transition.

Can you not see a different world beyond military training?

I see people as individual spirits that were here before their position and will be here long after their position or role is gone. So I don't acknowledge position and I don't want or need to define myself or anyone else by that.

People in the military are trained to protect each other and kill those seen as a threat, and I recognise the need in those situations to have to act unquestionably. But our human military history is deeply shameful and sickening to know of the thousands upon thousands who lost their lives because of catastrophically bad management. So whilst I see the necessity of acting upon orders in life/death situations, it has major flaws and isn't a way that I see as being useful except for extreme circumstances.

It's a dominating way, not a way that values and respects other peoples lives. .

Gracey
09-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Can you not see a different world beyond military training?

I see people as individual spirits that were here before their position and will be here long after their position or role is gone. So I don't acknowledge position and I don't want or need to define myself or anyone else by that.

People in the military are trained to protect each other and kill those seen as a threat, and I recognise the need in those situations to have to act unquestionably. But our human military history is deeply shameful and sickening to know of the thousands upon thousands who lost their lives because of catastrophically bad management. So whilst I see the necessity of acting upon orders in life/death situations, it has major flaws and isn't a way that I see as being useful except for extreme circumstances.

It's a dominating way, not a way that values and respects other peoples lives. .

sure i can, i have lived that too, never did run into power plays and drama though. i suppose we manifest what is inside of us.

next time you see a vet, be sure to thank them for their service. for you have freedom to speak as you wish because they fought for your freedom to do that.

Clover
09-10-2015, 09:40 PM
There is a saying I like that I found on a fortune cookie. I had it taped to my computer at work for years. It said, " any job big or small you do it right or not at all".

I think that is a very important virtue to understand. I do live in a very cut throat blue color state, so I know our mentally here in the Midwest is a little more aggressive. For me, whether you work in the in the back of the room peeling potatoes or in a Corporate office managing brokers. I say value what you do and do it right. It takes a whole community to move a city, and every job matters to make it thrive. Also, It doesn't matter if your job is considered ethical or morally wrong to someone, your getting monetary payment to work on the terms you agreed on.

There is a dirty diaper ( aggressive manager or co worker) in every work environment. It stinks and no one wants to be around them. Let Karma deal with them, however, I do see them as teachers, they build character and prepare you for bigger tougher situations to come. Nothing is EVER permanent. At the top one day, in the bottom the next and vice versa.

My husband ( soon to be ex) started off as a temporary worker scrubbing tar off the floor for a steel company. He worked his way up to become of the top and most in demand engineers in our state. You got to weed through the good, bad and ugly. Nothing comes easy. It doesn't matter what type of work you do. Train to kill or train to peel a potato.You have a job, you show up and you do it, and shame on anyone who makes you feel unworthy for the work you put your soul and value into.

Lynn
10-10-2015, 12:19 AM
Hello

It is the bottom level employees that honestly keep a store running but sadly they are the one's struggling to make ends meet and are often working more than just the one job. They are running on lack of sleep and patients at times I am finding.

Right now the store manager is working the department as like many places they are short on staff, they hire and hire but sadly employee's do not show up for shifts. I was told yesterday I could have more hours as I am the only one of the new employees taken on.

It is Thanks Giving weekend and I am off from work for it, and that is a blessing as man it is busy in there. My back and shoulder are done.....its down time til I get used to the pace. There is the other thing the pace, it is not a race to do things....when it comes to food quality matters most.

Today was back talking about the manager and I had t say how bad that sounded as I could "see" the issues they had and I was sure that they could voice their concerns, like I did one day and have it accepted. The reply I got was I had not been "yelled at yet" . Hmmmm. Bit scary that really and I hope not to walk into that situation again and walk back out of the room. It was most uncomfortable. It solves nothing to yell, I learned that with my new marriage and from my kids. There is no fighting in the home now, and it makes a difference. It feels good in here.

Work is for two reasons one of course is survival that means to pay our bills and put a roof over your head. The other is to find where you fit in at times in the wheels of life. To give something back, like the SF members (and this includes Staff ) that might just make a difference in a small way in someone's life.

If your made to feel unworthy take a breath and know that there is worth in yourself even if its not noticed it is there.

Lynn

Ivy
10-10-2015, 08:18 AM
sure i can, i have lived that too, never did run into power plays and drama though. i suppose we manifest what is inside of us.

next time you see a vet, be sure to thank them for their service. for you have freedom to speak as you wish because they fought for your freedom to do that.

By the bolded writing, it seems that you get annoyed by perceptions like mine.

And I see the suggestion you make that people that have drama in their lives manifest it - is war not drama to you? it surely is the most dramatic of drama's. So who do you want to believe manifests that? soldiers? victims? To me, that's ridiculous to blame individuals manifesting for war, but it is the natural course that your belief takes.

As a human being, I believe that each and everyone us manifests with our energies ALL that goes on in the world. It is a fruitless way to attempt to separate yourself from others... or attempt to place the non-dramatic manifestation in a superior position to more dramatic manifesting maybe? What do you imagine is inside a person that manifests drama in their lives? do you think it must be something yukky and bad? Hmmm..

But here's the thing that relates to what I said originally - in your military style, you have jumped to tell me what I should think next time I meet a vet, without actually asking me and listening to what I actually think when I meet veterans. Your order is based on an assumption, not on an understanding of my thoughts. Assumptions and quick judgements have to be made in life/death situations where there is no time to talk or question. But where there is time to listen to others, it is an extremely valuable tool in improving the running of a business.

Ivy
10-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Hello

It is the bottom level employees that honestly keep a store running but sadly they are the one's struggling to make ends meet and are often working more than just the one job. They are running on lack of sleep and patients at times I am finding.

Right now the store manager is working the department as like many places they are short on staff, they hire and hire but sadly employee's do not show up for shifts. I was told yesterday I could have more hours as I am the only one of the new employees taken on.

It is Thanks Giving weekend and I am off from work for it, and that is a blessing as man it is busy in there. My back and shoulder are done.....its down time til I get used to the pace. There is the other thing the pace, it is not a race to do things....when it comes to food quality matters most.

Today was back talking about the manager and I had t say how bad that sounded as I could "see" the issues they had and I was sure that they could voice their concerns, like I did one day and have it accepted. The reply I got was I had not been "yelled at yet" . Hmmmm. Bit scary that really and I hope not to walk into that situation again and walk back out of the room. It was most uncomfortable. It solves nothing to yell, I learned that with my new marriage and from my kids. There is no fighting in the home now, and it makes a difference. It feels good in here.

Work is for two reasons one of course is survival that means to pay our bills and put a roof over your head. The other is to find where you fit in at times in the wheels of life. To give something back, like the SF members (and this includes Staff ) that might just make a difference in a small way in someone's life.

If your made to feel unworthy take a breath and know that there is worth in yourself even if its not noticed it is there.

Lynn

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I wanted to add to this, I've proved to be very capeable in life of making decisions and adapting to whatever is thrown at me. I live alone and have worked, got a degree, managed a house and brought up my children very well. This is because with no one to manage my life for me, I'm allowed to make decisions based on my own experience and initiative, that enable me to move with the times and adapt the way I do things to suit whatever the situation involves. Doing things myself is something I'm highly skilled in, and find it quite difficult sometimes to go through management, but I have learned to do so, not because I need to, but because it is expected....

In any hierarchical institution, people with authoritive roles have an expectation that others - or even demand or put it in the rules, that others always go through them - and don't make decisions for themselves - or in very old fashioned institutions, even see a workers comment or input into decisions that are made, as being insubordinate (thinking 'An Inspector Calls' here). And in this way, the ground force is devalued as being human, let alone intelligent, experienced and a valuable managerial resource.

And I have come across managers that see people coming to them about 'petty' things as stupid and incapable of doing anything for themselves (or even whiners), and become like victim/heroes, always having to do everything for all the people they manage on behalf of. And they fail to realise that they have created that situation by demanding that no one else but them must make decisions and by failing to involve significant workers in the decision making process.

I'm reminded of this by what you've said about the staff that said they wouldn't discuss something important with management because they have been yelled at. It breaks that trust, and yet management may be unaware that they have created this them/us situation of mutual disrespect.

Gem
10-10-2015, 10:12 AM
By the bolded writing, it seems that you get annoyed by perceptions like mine.

And I see the suggestion you make that people that have drama in their lives manifest it - is war not drama to you? it surely is the most dramatic of drama's. So who do you want to believe manifests that? soldiers? victims? To me, that's ridiculous to blame individuals manifesting for war, but it is the natural course that your belief takes.

As a human being, I believe that each and everyone us manifests with our energies ALL that goes on in the world. It is a fruitless way to attempt to separate yourself from others... or attempt to place the non-dramatic manifestation in a superior position to more dramatic manifesting maybe? What do you imagine is inside a person that manifests drama in their lives? do you think it must be something yukky and bad? Hmmm..

But here's the thing that relates to what I said originally - in your military style, you have jumped to tell me what I should think next time I meet a vet, without actually asking me and listening to what I actually think when I meet veterans. Your order is based on an assumption, not on an understanding of my thoughts. Assumptions and quick judgements have to be made in life/death situations where there is no time to talk or question. But where there is time to listen to others, it is an extremely valuable tool in improving the running of a business.

I'm probably in the area where one sees it most, but more than a few vets are scarred by their tours and somewhat neglected by their 'employers' once unfit for battle. I think the social mantra of war and glory is an urban legend, and the actual story of that kind of work entails much despair. I feel for the people who become maimed and traumatised and as such I would prefer to undermine militant ideology rather than perpetuate time honoured myths. No disrespect to any person, of course, but a very critical view of the paradigm.

Lynn
19-10-2015, 02:46 AM
Hello

I head into week 4 and life is interesting. I have been given more hours as I am reliable and I will accept more hours. Yet in doing that the body has to adjust to the load. I have been asked to start at 4 AM and for me that is fine as I do not have another job or school to go to, and if I need sleep when I come home I can turn off the phone and do that. Not all can.

I am learning so much about how hard it is out there. Is that why I am there I do not think so as I know well how hard it is to start out in life working I have been there years ago. When the rate of mortgage in the first house was 18% and I made $5.00 an hour so its all relevant. We had to have 25% down payment and a year in a job then.

I see how customers seek out the 'deals' and say this and that is cheaper in another store but if one is going for an item or two the cost of gas cancels out I find that savings. I am finding that to the cost to get to work, that drive there and that drive home. It all hits that bottom line of the pay day. Working is not an easy thing.

I see the customers those that are on the fringes of society and the Mom's and Dad's with kids in tow trying to make ends meet. Its not easy. Is that what I am to see ? Yet I know well how hard it is with three kids and only one income while I have a husband he lacks his "work permit" so I tow the path for now. Its hard its really really hard out there.

I see management and how they do things and having been them in my other life before a Mom, I see how I would do things differently but I am not them and I do not wish to be them.....too maybe the dynamics have changed in the work world. Gone seems to be some of the interpersonal compassion, or maybe that is whom I am and was as a manager.

It is interesting this journey I asked the Universe for, so forwards it goes. What happens when Heart gets his permit for work whom knows.....maybe then my time will be done. For now its an interesting and at time a hard ride. I feel for those that struggle.

Lynn