PDA

View Full Version : Over sensitivity

umbridge
07-10-2015, 10:20 AM
For some reason, especially when I am not in a very good mood, I can take everything as attack.
I feel like people are constantly attacking me.

why is like that?
I am also overly sensitive to criticism. Take things very personally.

thank you :)

naturesflow
07-10-2015, 10:31 AM
For some reason, especially when I am not in a very good mood, I can take everything as attack.

why is like that?

Maybe your an infp..:wink:

Aside from that when your not grounded, naturally things can feel somewhat upsetting, especially if your emotional body is all over the shop.

High sensitivity does feel things more deeply, I am one of those, but ultimately everything coming in at me taught me how to ground more deeply by listening to my needs in that shared space.

If your holding within yourself a need to be right, or that you are in the right and the other is in the wrong naturally you will find yourself in defence mode if your fired up inside in your own defence.

Learning to be ok with others criticism can open things in you in everyway of how that feels. I guess all you can do is honour how you feel and let go. At some point you might decide their is another way to manage this.

naturesflow
07-10-2015, 10:32 AM
So I will ask you now.

Why is it like this?

Lorelyen
07-10-2015, 11:49 AM
It's as natural as one can get to feel this way especially if you're in a bad mood.

People judge you from their perspective which isn't yours so - ponder a moment, - you have no need to respond. Helpful/positive criticism can be useful. If you're fairly confident in what you're doing/wearing/whatever then visualise yourself pushing it away, dispersing it - put a kind of aura around yourself. Turn the energy of a bad mood into a dismissive aura.

There's probably nothing wrong with your sensitivity. It might resolve more as a self-confidence issue.

(As an artist (of sorts) I take the view that any criticism good or bad is fine by me as long as it doesn't come from a professional critic - a breed of vampire that preys on people who actually do the work. Scum of the earth to me.)

starling
07-10-2015, 01:14 PM

why is like that?

YOu are sensitive, simple as that.

In moderation it's a good thing as it enables you to relate to how others feel. .

If you-are overly sensitive/ unable to control it/ unaware of it that's when it becomes a burden or even make you miserable.

A boss once said to me "[I]don't take things so personally!!!!"

How often have I refered back to those words?:hug:

linen53
07-10-2015, 01:42 PM
It's difficult to develop a thick skin. I used to be ultra sensitive and think everyone was criticizing me. Well, they weren't. I took everything personal whereas it was not meant to be.

Be kind to yourself and learn to love and trust yourself. Well, that should keep you busy for about 20 years.:D

umbridge
11-10-2015, 07:48 AM
Its hard. People who are less sensitive are not aware what they are doing with their thoughts and their emotions. My lesson here is to center myself and find a quick way back to my inner peace.

Deepsoul
11-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Try theses affirmations Umbridge if you like , I am Tolerant ,I am Resilient.

Lorelyen
11-10-2015, 10:29 AM
Its hard. People who are less sensitive are not aware what they are doing with their thoughts and their emotions. My lesson here is to center myself and find a quick way back to my inner peace.
Or simply deal with it - desensitise yourself a little. You're aware of your position, your sensitivity, so when feeling "under attack" from someone insensitive, you know what's what and could shrug it off, if you could develop a "don't care" attitude.

I mean, you have a measure of yourself. If you're fairly secure in that then what others think doesn't really matter, does it? (of course, depending on what it's about. If it's tantamount to taunting, insult or derision, then, yes, it's hard.) But there's nothing un-spiritual in walking away from stuff like that. Plus, if people note that you're less responsive they may change their tactics toward you.

:::

nammyoho
11-10-2015, 10:54 PM
I too have this issue. I find that I take things more personally when I am not in tune with myself (either from overstimulation, lack of sleep or food, or overprocessing situations out of my control). I think sensitivity can be a very beautiful and nurturing trait but it can get out of hand. I suppose the most we can do is strengthen our 'self' muscles.

yeshee camar
15-11-2015, 09:59 PM
i pawn that its 'more like cry outs of us bommer haggy persons do' as boars shris throws that we be darey on'd as if we all be hitted on big knappy really really old crampy bully'd babys. that that son of god of nazer book fonts something about salt in a be looses its flavor, guess what, 'we can have a commer shiloh head for trues and bins' that wants win our battey shiz likely back.

Shivani Devi
17-11-2015, 12:29 AM

why is like that?

thank you :)I am exactly the same.

I also have Asperger's Disorder which makes me sensitive to everything (especially hearing/sound).

I think why it bothers me/us so much is because my parents were always hyper-critical of me, criticising everything about my life as soon as I could understand spoken language....the way I walked, talked, what I wore, what I ate, my music, my friends etc etc...they never supported me emotionally in anything!

I was also verbally and physically abused 2-3 times a week, and often the abuse was a form of re-enforcement of this criticism...now, and for my whole life I have suffered with PTSD because of it...so, I have another co-morbidity now.

Thus, when ever people criticise me, they remind me of my parents I grew to hate for destroying my life and my sense of 'personality' and 'individuality'...putting me in their restrictive little box they created for me to fit into.

When people criticise me, I'm like 'you are not my parents...you are not the boss of me...what gives you the right?'

I'm still learning to overcome this, but I think I'm going to have to go and see a psychiatrist about it for some CBT or something.

All the best.

Miss Hepburn
17-11-2015, 01:03 AM
Yup, what Necromancer said...hyper-critical family. :(

Let's try a shot in the dark...
You can ask yourself this and see if it rings true...
-were you not accepted
- were you misunderstood, unloved, pushed aside, not listened to
-did people tease you
-were you neglected, had little praise, encouragement and support...
Let alone the obvious...criticized....there are so many layers that damage or wound us. :(

Ah, the list goes on.

SO, if we have not integrated this abuse...meaning resolved that it was all perfect
and destined to develop our compassion and character...
we walk into the world and unconsciously expect the world to be a great place
because we have escaped the family and childhood traumas.

But, alas, our insecurity and wounds attract more of the same.
It can be like a cycle.

Picture a friend who is confident and strong...do people mess with them?
No way. They project a ''do not mess with me ''/ confident attitude.

I would advise... to sit long and hard and process
alone, with God or with a therapist ...what these wounds inflicted were for...and forgive them.

Plus, thank your abusers and God for your lessons in life.
Step forward in understanding that no one can ever hurt you again ...because you now know
who you are...it is their issue of control and weakness and insecurity to want to criticize you.

Show them patience and kindness...be the person you were
meant to be, your True Self...strong powerful, kind and understanding.

See that other people's criticisms are themselves not having peace within them.

That's all.

(Maybe none of this rings true...but someone else it might help a little...) :smile:

AndrewGaia
17-11-2015, 01:52 AM
I think you should also consider that, like all things, sensitivity is a two sided coin. While you may be more prone to the negativity in words and actions you also possess the ability to relate and find compassion in others struggles. This is where I try to draw my strength when I am feeling overly sensitive. You then know how much pain they must be going through in order to have to expel it anothers direction. Some people suffer so greatly that all they can do to feel better is to put others down a revert to an attack mentality as a form of defense. Then you are presented with the perfect opportunity to strengthen yourself and your center.

But like you said, this can be very difficult when you are in a bad mood. But being aware of this is another opportunity for you to deepen your own understanding. If you know that your bad moods open the door for misinterpretation then you can see that it is the bad mood not the person or situation as much as it is your own emotions. Look into that, it is a sign that their is a lesson to learn or something to grow from.

I believe I am sensitive because it connects me more greatly with others even if at times I get that way as a defense mechanism. When I am in a bad mood my system is on high alert looking out for me to avoid more pain. So it may create problems where there are none just to get me to step away. So listen to those moods you have and take a step to the side for a minute and center yourself. Then your sensitivity and bad moods can be used as a tool to generate strength rather than something to be weakened by.

Shivani Devi
17-11-2015, 02:01 AM
I can answer 'yes' to all of those, Miss Hepburn.

Well, if there was a silver lining to that cloud, I became a spiritual being very early on in my life because of it...when I wasn't even allowed to have a thought of my own, which left me questioning since the age of 3:

"Why did I even get born when I am unloved and unwanted?"

Still, I haven't learned to handle criticism yet...I think I'll leave that one for my next lifetime or the one after that.

It's just too ingrained and entrenched into my psyche now...especially after I left my parents and married a man who did exactly the same thing to me.

I'm just not ready to handle it or even try and tackle it this time around, and I have accepted that.

running
17-11-2015, 11:53 PM

why is like that?

Maybe your just healing through some things. I know for me i felt that way. And it was just things were cooking up

Uma
18-11-2015, 01:41 AM
we routinely steal each other's energy (some more than others)
and dump our garbage on each other (some more than others)
then there are a few who share their love, they uplift us (my fav people)
the sensitive one is aware of all of this

Shivani Devi
18-11-2015, 01:56 AM
As totally ignorant as I know this may sound, dear OP...but if you can't handle criticism or any negativity in the world, on TV or such, the best thing to do is just 'switch off'.

Switch off the TV..switch off from 'haters'...just ignore it all.

This just prevents any further distress.

Say to people 'thanks for your time/advice....next'....even place people on forums (this/any forum) on 'ignore' if they cause any negative emotion.

Yes, it's a cop-out, but it will give you some breathing space for a while.

All the best.