PDA

View Full Version : Industrial Recovery ~ UK Cleanup

Silver
10-01-2011, 12:40 AM
I read this in today's LA Times newspaper >>>

Conservation efforts across the UK have allowed many of the nation's waterways to return to their cleanest levels since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. The cleansing has set the stage for otters, water voles and species of freshwater fish that had all but gone extinct, to make dramatic recoveries. Toxic pesticides had decimated the wild otter species by the 1970's, but the Environment Agency says the improvements in water quality mean they could make a full recovery.

Sounds like very good news.

Royalite
10-01-2011, 04:43 PM
I read this in today's LA Times newspaper >>>

Conservation efforts across the UK have allowed many of the nation's waterways to return to their cleanest levels since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. The cleansing has set the stage for otters, water voles and species of freshwater fish that had all but gone extinct, to make dramatic recoveries. Toxic pesticides had decimated the wild otter species by the 1970's, but the Environment Agency says the improvements in water quality mean they could make a full recovery.

Sounds like very good news.

yeah it does! I wonder if they'll ever decide to do that here in the U.S of A~

Ivy
10-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Yes it is good news...and its not just the enviroment agency, but a lot of volunteers and charities have worked to re-create natural habitats that were destroyed.

Work still needs to be done in the seas, but I saw a news story not that long ago that showed how the marine life in an area that had been devestated by fishing, had recovered simply by being left alone for a while.

I dont know much about the U.S, but the news in europe is rarely favourable when it comes to enviromental treaties. But heres hoping :-)

cvs
10-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Yes. The river which runs through my current city of residence, Sheffield, is the river don. It apparently used to be very very populated, Sheffield was a very industrial city. The river is now clean. At 20 years of age I obviously never saw it at its worst, but I am so happy that someone realized something needed to be done, for now I live in a city with a clean river running through it. Thank you :)

norseman
10-01-2011, 08:50 PM
ALL the rivers in North-East England have salmon and very healthy populations of otters. We also have some of the world's largest seabird colonies plus large seal colonies in the estuaries.. The Red Kite was re-introduced a couple of years back and we have a stronghold of the Red Squirrel with a strong team of guardians. In general, the raptors are doing well due to good conservation efforts of partnerships of various volunteer groups with the RSPB. It helps that we have large areas of open upland moors and four [ count them !], 4 National Parks !
The Geordie Nations are an excellent example of what can be achieved by dedicated conservation volunteers !

glenos
10-01-2011, 08:56 PM
If you take continued abstaction, building on floodplains, the introduction of otters that are now wiping out fish stocks especially eels which are just about endangered now, and the millions of tonnes, yes millions, of raw sewage going into our rivers then yes everything is great.

G

Emmalevine
24-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Nice to have some good news about here.

Chrysaetos
25-01-2011, 07:18 PM
ALL the rivers in North-East England have salmon and very healthy populations of otters. We also have some of the world's largest seabird colonies plus large seal colonies in the estuaries.. The Red Kite was re-introduced a couple of years back and we have a stronghold of the Red Squirrel with a strong team of guardians. In general, the raptors are doing well due to good conservation efforts of partnerships of various volunteer groups with the RSPB. It helps that we have large areas of open upland moors and four [ count them !], 4 National Parks !
The Geordie Nations are an excellent example of what can be achieved by dedicated conservation volunteers !Nice. Are there any serious plans to reintroduce the wolf to northern England and Scotland? I read that there was enough space for that, and a good way to keep the deer population in control..
Would you support a wolf reintroduction to northern England/Scotland?

norseman
26-01-2011, 09:27 AM
THere are a few wolves in Scotland but not free. Must admit, it is a dream of mine to see wolves on the moors of Northern England - probably just a pipedream tho. There is a small scheme in Scotland to re-introduce the beaver. And, on the news this week, a scheme to re-introduce the bustard which was a huge bird. Lots of stuff going on all over. Unfortunately, there are some bad mistakes to take care of also - example - the American grey squirrel which is a disease carrier, mink which are well established in some areas. Some mistakes, which are not necessarily a bad thing, would include the varieties of ornamental deer which escaped from private estates [ seen quite a few of them on my wanders], wallabies in Derbyshire [?], large black cats all over the place. Bird life is benefiting from the well-maintained grouse moors in my patch, both raptors and their natural prey.