PDA

View Full Version : How can I learn to meditate right?

Kiran
07-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Now, I've never been "taught how to meditate" and I have no idea of how to do it right...

When I take a look at yoga seats, they sound complicated and uncomfortable to me. Like get your foot in this way and the other one in that way and stay like this for half an hour - get what I mean? I can't!

And I generally have a problem just with "not moving"...

I once visited a course of "autogenetic training" but it didn't help me too much. But I now use part of these teachings when I try to meditate:
I LIE IN MY BED IN THE "DEAD MAN" POSITION AND JUST TRY TO RELAX ALL MY MUSCLES... breathe in and out calmly... and I do this for about 15 minutes, sometimes longer...

But, my thoughts keep racing... they get slower and slower with time as I start to relax, but I'm not sure if it can be called a "meditation"...

Now I've signed up for a Hatha Yoga course that starts end of february... and together with that course "for my body" I want to learn to meditate... but how?

Can you give advice?

Shabda
07-01-2011, 08:42 PM
im not sure that i can give any, but i do suggest that you ask, as you have done, and try out the suggestions, and keep those that you find both helpful and fruitful, and disregard those that dont help...each person's experience will be different of course, and for that reason, what each person finds success with will differ, learn from your own experiences, what works for you, and what doesnt...i myself have trouble with relaxation, but have founds ways to do it none the less...as for the mind, it can be quite the distraction to relaxation, perhaps you need to find a way to use it against itself? find a way to distract it from distracting you, give it something to keep it busy, so you can meditate more successfully?

bluelight
07-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Hello Kiran.

You do not need to go to any course to learn meditate. It is something that is possible to learn on Yourown. Maybe a good idea could be to search on internet what others say about meditating,and then You will have an idea if the way You experience it is the right way.
I would say that You probably are on the right way. As You said Your thoughts begun to be slower and slower and by my experience that is a start.
If You will continue practise You will probably soon be able to became real calm.

I am self still learning. I do breathing meditation where i concentrate on my breath in and out-i start by counting each breath out,so i can cncentrate on that instead off thoughts. In the start thoughts really try to come throw,but as the time go they become slower and slower until there come one thought at a time.
I have not tried yet to have no thought at all in my head, but i belive i am on the right way,so i will advice You to keep trying:)

Good luck with that:)
Have a peacefull day:)

Kiran
07-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Shabda, you mean occupy my mind with something so it doesn't bother me? I've tried. Once it was counting every breath, up to ten, then start again. Other it was with thinking about my name - Kiran - and all it meant to me, every tiny bit it could mean. Both tries were "halfway" successful, but I might try again.

Kiran
07-01-2011, 08:55 PM
bluelight, we crossed... many thanks for your reply. I'll go on trying, maybe like you with counting my breath... and well, if lying on the bed or sitting on the yoga mat, I guess it doesn't really count, it's about relaxation, right?

bluelight
07-01-2011, 09:06 PM
right-its all about relaxation.
I do it mostly in the evening,laying in my bed-that is the best time for me,where i can have 100% peace.

Thinking about You name probably is not a good i dea,cause there will allways come new thought out off each thought You have about You name. There will be feelings about it and memorys,and thats not what you wish if You have to relax.

I use to count from 1 and up.... if i found that a thought have appeared and i lost the count-i start from 1 again.
I have been up to over 300 :)

Another thing is-by meditating in the evening in You bed,there will allways be a chance that You will fall asleep while meditating. It has happen to me several times,but i dont find it to be a problem. :)

Racer X
07-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Now, I've never been "taught how to meditate" and I have no idea of how to do it right...

I don't remember any books on "wrong" meditation???? :D

When I take a look at yoga seats, they sound complicated and uncomfortable to me. Like get your foot in this way and the other one in that way and stay like this for half an hour - get what I mean? I can't!

So sit in a chair.....or lie on the ground, it does not matter.

So learn "Walking Meditation" by Thich-Nhat Hahn.

I once visited a course of "autogenetic training" but it didn't help me too much. But I now use part of these teachings when I try to meditate:
I LIE IN MY BED IN THE "DEAD MAN" POSITION AND JUST TRY TO RELAX ALL MY MUSCLES... breathe in and out calmly... and I do this for about 15 minutes, sometimes longer...

But, my thoughts keep racing... they get slower and slower with time as I start to relax, but I'm not sure if it can be called a "meditation"...

At first......meditation is simply training the body to remain in one place without wanting something else, Kind of like training a dog to sit. Only people seem harder to train.... :D

Now I've signed up for a Hatha Yoga course that starts end of february... and together with that course "for my body" I want to learn to meditate... but how?

If that resonates with you........continue. If not, perhaps continue anyway. Sometimes it is best to learn something which we are not easy with at first. In time we break through our own stubbornness before it gets the best of us.

Can you give advice?

Meditation has one main purpose........to establish a Divine Connection.
In the west it has many secondary purposes: relaxation, focus, control, more money! If the purpose is relaxation it is ok and will benefit only to the degree of relaxation. If the purpose is profit, it will bring more profit but with it likely, greed. If the purpose is to make the Divine Inner Connection, then you will first go through relaxation of the body, then relaxation of the mind(stillness) and in time your Awareness of the Divine will grow quite strong. Meditation is connecting to your Highest Self(the part that does not die) and in time you bring the "meditation state" into waking activities. "The Dog Whisperer" is an example of that......so too is David Blaine, Deepak Chopra, and a host of others.

Guided meditations can help get through the tough periods of stilling the body and mind.
"Mantras & Meditations" is a DVD of guided meditations available from the Chopra Center.
"Change Your Thoughts: Do The Tao Now" by Dr. Wayne Dyer is a good CD meditation.
Eckhart Tolle has some meditation CDs / Gateways to the Now.

Be patient as it can take 6 months to train the body to remain still for ten minutes a day! It can take up to a year before the mind even begins to quiet down. Both mind and body need to be trained and you are the director of that training, others will help but YOU have to DO the training part and that will present its own challenges. Every excuse in the book of Ego will come to the surface: "I don't have time today" "Tomorrow, I will have more time" "I can't right now, I don't know how" "I am too sick today" "I am too tired today" "Its too noisy today" "Its just not meant for me" "If only this would happen" "If only I was on a deserted island" "I would but others are laughing at me"

These "thought patterns" were ingrained(trained) into you. Do you care enough about yourself to un-train them and replace them?

Your nerves are likely quite shot by now ......
So it is a good idea to learn about "calming herbs" and applying them as needed. "20,000 Secrets Of Tea" by Victoria Zak will help you understand natures remedies which work synergystically with meditation. Some suggestions to try out: Lemon Balm, Valerian Root, Scullcap, Passion Flower. DHA and EPA also help restore the brain from nerve damage and help restore a more peaceful state. Fruits, Vegetables, nuts, legumes, and if meat is needed switch to poultry and Salmon.

Meditation is the beginning of a Journey and the changes take time. If you will stick to it for One Year, you will notice quite a change!

It is also good to "stop thinking" often throughout the day to break up the old pattern of continual thought. How!!?? Simply focus on your breathing for a minute once or twice an hour. You will forget often! So what, just return to doing that when you remember.

:smile:

Kiran
07-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Racer-X, you just really made me laugh with your comments... and thank you for the many suggestions. I will persevere and see what continual training will bring.

Thank you all. :)

Shabda
07-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Shabda, you mean occupy my mind with something so it doesn't bother me? I've tried. Once it was counting every breath, up to ten, then start again. Other it was with thinking about my name - Kiran - and all it meant to me, every tiny bit it could mean. Both tries were "halfway" successful, but I might try again.
what the heck, try it again...here's a thought, do you have a mantra?those help my brain to settle down and focus, i tried it just a while ago and it worked surprisingly well for me...of course that means nothing to you, unless it works for you, perhaps you should try silently chanting a mantra to help focus the mind while you meditate...

Gem
08-01-2011, 01:49 PM

I think simple effective method is important.

You have to be comfortable to meditate.

Can you give advice?

I think you'll get good advise at yoga.

Gem
08-01-2011, 01:52 PM
bluelight, we crossed... many thanks for your reply. I'll go on trying, maybe like you with counting my breath... and well, if lying on the bed or sitting on the yoga mat, I guess it doesn't really count, it's about relaxation, right?

No counting.

Sira
08-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Can you give advice?
Kiran, I still sometimes have the challenge of quieting the mind when I meditate but I have trained myself to quiet down by simply repeating "my mind is quiet, my subconscious is calm" over and over again, until I'm in balance and ready to move into other layers of awareness. Maybe this could work for you, too? :hug3:

Edit: I also just lay in bed or sofa, my hands crossed on the chest or on the side, and just breathe until I find the rhythm of "cosmic breath".

chinu
08-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Can you give advice?

My Advice: First Read this post:
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=109588#post109588 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D109588%23post109588)

Second: Read this post:
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5339&highlight=chinu (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D5339%26amp%3Bhighlig ht%3Dchinu)

Kiran
08-01-2011, 05:01 PM
THANK YOU ALL.

pre-dawn
09-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Kiran,

meditation is a practice which has certain goals which are misunderstood. I'd like to highlight 2 of them.

1) Relaxation
but this is not total relaxation. It means the absence of unnecessary tension, excess tension, effort beyond what is necessary to achieve the result.
It should be clear that trying to meditate, trying to do things better, in a forceful way, trying to relax are the very antithesis of relaxation.
This brings us to the second point.

2) Stillness in the midst of activity
Qigong has 2 basic ways of practice, 'still mind - moving body', and 'still body - moving mind'. While 'still mind -still body' may be a technique to slow down the overactivity of our body-mind complex it is not a practice which is pursued for its own sake. Most people achieve that naturally ... when they are dead, not a very useful state in this world.

IMO most meditations try to achieve 'still body - still mind' and because this is an essentially an unnatural state for an awake organism (i.e. not sleeping), meditation practice often shows little or no result.

Racer X
09-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Racer-X, you just really made me laugh with your comments... and thank you for the many suggestions. I will persevere and see what continual training will bring.

Thank you all. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bAXwBbCtHg&feature=related

This will make you laugh too as well as help a little too....:D

Kiran
09-01-2011, 06:43 PM
So yesterday I tried to meditate... lying in my bed, eyes closed, arms beneath my body... and tried to relax... I could keep it seven minutes, then I got distracted by thoughts...

Well, I'll keep trying.

Louise Hay says in a book that she just remains in silence and asks "what do I need to know?", and listens. If the time has come for certain knowledge, it will come to her, naturally.

A peaceful mind.
09-01-2011, 07:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bAXwBbCtHg&feature=related

This will make you laugh too as well as help a little too....:D

LOL--- :O)

I would recommend this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etmeQdhgfcc

and this

1 of 5. How to Meditate, Yoga, Meditation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7NCfTo-xc&NR=1

Guthee
12-01-2011, 02:14 PM
I can help with the no moving problem thing!
I have that problem as well, in the end I discovered if I put on soft music (like shaman drumming, belly dance or classical) and danced I could meditate.
..sometimes I used a sword or wood staff....those were fun, good meditations. Make sure you have plenty of room for movement. :)

What also helps me is laying down (or sitting, whatever feels good) and trying to see a happy, calm earthy place (music in the background or not). I just let it come to me, I try to hear water, or birds or something to help it come if I feel like it. After that meditation just comes. Its just relaxing, when you come out of it, you should feel good. just let your mind go, let it go where it wants, I will share something that my old yoga teacher said to us. He said that we should not force or stop anything, if thoughts come let them, just listen, don't force anything.
also, sometimes having a focus helped too, like a stone to hold or a fire thing or a mirror even. those can be little gateways into yourself. whatever works best for your mind symbolically.

norseman
12-01-2011, 06:41 PM
I was formally trained in Transcendental Meditation about 30 years ago. This uses a silent mantra and supervised meditation under the guidance of a teacher. I found it very effective.
For the last 5 years or so, I have been meditating while walking - usually beside rivers or on the beach. This also seems very effective. So, I do a mix of the two.

athribiristan
12-01-2011, 09:57 PM
You might try a walking meditation, or as I often prefer a working meditation. Any repetitive physical motion will work. The time required varies, when I am feeling open I can get in a good session while I sweep the floor but sometimes I need hours of undisturbed work time. I usually start by concentrating fully on the task before me and usually without my realizing it I find my thoughts drifting. I just allow them to wander where they will and often make very surprising and insightful connections. It takes a little practice but my point is that there is no ONE right way to meditate. I did take a meditation class (actually a couple) and for a long time I thought that the way I was taught was the 'right' way, but since then I have seen many effective techniques.

With Love,
athrbiristan

Sira
12-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Any repetitive physical motion will work.
My favourite meditation is the "peeling potatoes meditation". When you make mashed potatoes and have done the peeling part for decades, it has become such a routine that it's almost like sleeping while doing it. This somehow frees the body do what it wants. In my case the kundalini starts rising and the body starts swaying and I'm just enjoying the experience, while peeling potatoes.
:hug3:

Kaere
12-01-2011, 10:37 PM
You might try a walking meditation, or as I often prefer a working meditation. Any repetitive physical motion will work. The time required varies, when I am feeling open I can get in a good session while I sweep the floor but sometimes I need hours of undisturbed work time. I usually start by concentrating fully on the task before me and usually without my realizing it I find my thoughts drifting. I just allow them to wander where they will and often make very surprising and insightful connections. It takes a little practice but my point is that there is no ONE right way to meditate. I did take a meditation class (actually a couple) and for a long time I thought that the way I was taught was the 'right' way, but since then I have seen many effective techniques.

Mine's washing the dishes or folding laundry. Mindless repetitive work. I also find I have good meditations in a rocking chair.

Sira
12-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Mine's washing the dishes or folding laundry. Mindless repetitive work. I also find I have good meditations in a rocking chair.
I love this! When I want to properly ground, I go on to do the laundry, fold it, and wash the dishes, just directing all my focus on the work at hand.
How wondrous this world really is! Everything is at our grasp in our daily lives! :hug2:

Kiran
13-01-2011, 07:07 PM
This thing about meditating while working sounds interesting. Yes, I also have my mind wander during those "mindless" physical tasks. In my case, at work I often have to do repetitive small motions of my hands, and I often find myself thinking about stuff completely off the task at hand.