PDA

View Full Version : Is a spiritual awakening a choice?

DulcePoetica
06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I know of many people who spend their lives attempting to "be more spiritual" through yoga, meditation, retreats, etc. This is not meant to judge, but I can see that many of them have not made as much progress as they wanted to - or in some cases, as much as they think they have.

In that context, it seems unjust that my spiritual journey has gone on much longer and much deeper than I ever intended. In fact, I have thought at times I wish I could go back to not knowing. I suppose I wish for that about as often as I fear it could happen.

Anyway, I don't take any credit for what triggered my spiritual questioning, I feel like I had innumerable experiences I could not explain and so I was forced to expand my consciousness in order to live in the reality I found myself. Why would these kinds of things happen to me instead of so many others who work hard their whole lives to satisfy a deep longing for this type of knowledge?

It makes me wonder if the awakening process is chosen by the individual or for the individual.

Falling Star
06-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I think it's all to do with the evolvement level of the soul Dulce, and not a human choice. We have to grow from human experience first and come to the earthplane to that end.
Many have been going through soul awakenings as conscious levels rise .......it feels like all are being elevated en masse.

I understand where you are coming from when you say you wish you could go back to not knowing, but really we are blessed to have such understanding.

Perry J
06-01-2011, 06:03 PM
It's all about identity.
We do not know who we really are, yet we have to have an identity. Then we identify ourselves with something that is not really ourselves. But we are not our life, or our work, carrier... nothing of that.
Awakening is about letting all these false identities go. In order for this to happen, you have to recognize within yourself a real Conscious You, and an ego-self (the false identity).

The awakening is a choice. What complicates matters is that the ego can also 'choose to awaken', without knowing that it would bring its death. And what really complicates it is the fact that every identity - even false ones - have a survival instinct. The ego's survival instinct can be very strong, even ower-powering.

It is not about learning. It's about seeing. Not using thought, because thought is connected to mental structures that builds up the false identity.
Awakening is very simple or very difficult, that is also a choice..

I would recommend having a look at John Sherman. He states also that it's all about identity. And that's what all of them say: Adyashanti, Tolle, Katie... all of them. To me, John Sherman offers the most simple way. He really says only one thing: Look at yourself. And see what happens. This is truly amazing...
http://www.johnsherman.org/2007_retreat_videos/ (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.spiritualforums. com%25252Fvb%25252Fredir.php%25253Flink%25253Dhttp %2525253A%2525252F%2525252Fwww.johnsherman.org%252 5252F2007_retreat_videos%2525252F)

DulcePoetica
06-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Ah yes Perry, I am currently facing the survival instinct of at least one of my false "selves." I'm glad you said that. It's funny how even knowing it's a false self and that it's a survival instinct doesn't stop it from interfering! It's like my brain is full of unruly children who think I am trying to take away their favorite toys! Absolute mayhem.

Instinct is incredibly powerful, but not always useful.

Emmalevine
06-01-2011, 06:25 PM
It depends. For some people it is because they seek knowledge and spiritual understanding, but for others it comes out after a life trauma or maybe Kundalini. But I believe there is a right time and purpose behind our awakening whether we are conscious or not in this life.

Perry J
06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
It depends. For some people it is because they seek knowledge and spiritual understanding, but for others it comes out after a life trauma or maybe Kundalini. But I believe there is a right time and purpose behind our awakening whether we are conscious or not in this life.

Yes. But people who choose it because they want 'spiritual understanding and knowledge' do not find any awakening. Maybe they can find some structures to cling to, and feel prideful.

Real awakening is about death.

Death is a consequence of false identity. An illusion. An amazing breakthrough to me was realizing that this IS really what Death is! As our true selves we are eternal. The only fear of death is the ego's fear of having its falseness revealed.

The choice to awaken is an "I am" statement on a very deep level, out of reach for the scared ego...

A19White
06-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Spiritual awakening is not about knowledge, knowledge is of the mind. When one is no longer identified with the mind they are said to be awakened or enlightened.

Miss Hepburn
06-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Well gee, I see it as a natural spark in each soul.
Either one listens to the call back home or they poo-pooh it and
continue on the path of temporary pleasures.

So, I guess it would be a choice ---but in the end we have no choice.
Just as drop of water will always go back to it's source - it's a "law".
Now, that drop that was sucked up into the cloud and dropped
on soil - may have to be in a glass and then in a sewer system
before it makes it back down the pathway back into the ocean - but
it gets there.

:smile:

Roselove
06-01-2011, 08:12 PM
i dont think so.. in astrology chiron the wound brings us to higher cons. i've read our life lessons, purposes are predetermined prior to birth, i was an athiest then i had the spirtual awakening from hell, it wasn't really a choice i was just kinda brought to it, i was never looking for it.. and still want out lol.. like you i am happy with some info i found and wished i never knew some of the other.

Rah nam
06-01-2011, 09:49 PM
It makes me wonder if the awakening process is chosen by the individual or for the individual.

A valid question, and I have said somewhere else, in my understanding the trigger to awaken comes from Self.
It can not happen before the body/mind/spirit system is ready.

Rah nam
06-01-2011, 09:53 PM
The choice to awaken is an "I am" statement on a very deep level, out of reach for the scared ego...

You can take your ego with you if you are prepared to do the work.
In the end you will have to if you intent to take your body to the next level.

Ciqala
06-01-2011, 10:23 PM
I know of many people who spend their lives attempting to "be more spiritual" through yoga, meditation, retreats, etc. This is not meant to judge, but I can see that many of them have not made as much progress as they wanted to - or in some cases, as much as they think they have.

In that context, it seems unjust that my spiritual journey has gone on much longer and much deeper than I ever intended. In fact, I have thought at times I wish I could go back to not knowing. I suppose I wish for that about as often as I fear it could happen.

Anyway, I don't take any credit for what triggered my spiritual questioning, I feel like I had innumerable experiences I could not explain and so I was forced to expand my consciousness in order to live in the reality I found myself. Why would these kinds of things happen to me instead of so many others who work hard their whole lives to satisfy a deep longing for this type of knowledge?

Well it sounds to me, you are a natural born leader, spirit warrior, "shaman", and in that case, you have no choice. I believe we all have different life journeys and purposes, there are some of us, where our purpose is to fulfill things that are not in our interests, but for the spiritual interest. You could also just be in a time of spiritual awakening, in which the higher ups feel is for your best interest - you don't have to follow it if you do not want to.
If you are a true born spiritual leader, you can always try to stray from the path, but for us spiritual leaders, straying from the path usually brings bad things. If you are not a true born spiritual leader, you always have a choice, you do not have to devote your life to it.
The road of a spiritual path can be hard at times for those who are destined upon it, because the spiritual is always calling, i don't believe it is a choice for people who are born with the path, the choice lies in whether or not you are willing to the journey, or go kicking and screaming, in both cases you will go, whether or not you want to, going willingly makes the process easier to handle. When we are destined for it, we often yearn for a normal life. I went through my rebellious periods, but of course, rebellious periods are only amplified with more suffering when your path is to be a medicine barer. The other thing, that makes the path hard, is natural "shamans" tend to suffer more, as a result to carry more knowledge in the end.
Yes there are those, who make the choice to be spiritually awakened, but not everybody has the natural born gift. Some people who do not have the gift, desire it much, and do not comprehend the amount of time and energy put into the path. It does not come naturally to them, which is why there are many activities to force it - thankfully though, for those who really desire it.
When you have the gift, you often wonder where your earthly life has gone, but truly accepting it is an amazing thing.
You know, in many eyes of true "shamans" or medicine people, the journey is tough and takes full commitment and sacrifice, it is not supposed to be easy. Becoming open to the journey, makes it a lot easier. Many do not have time for earthly things, or even relationships, because they have to be so invested in supporting the spiritual cause.
I often say, sometimes the gift can be a curse, which depends in the end, of how you have adjusted to your life journey. Once there, the gift blooms into an amazing thing, and you will be glad, you took the path despite the struggles.

Westleigh
06-01-2011, 10:49 PM
I think it's both. We need to choose or accept a spiritual path, but if we are to make significant progress then Spirit needs to be in accord with our wishes - it needs to say, "yes, you are ready", and help to guide us there. Heck, sometimes Spirit just takes charge and tells us, "this is how it will be," and we don't have much say in the matter! I am amazed by the depth of the spiritual experiences I have had but without the guidance I have been given, no matter my fascination with the subject, I think would not be where I am now.

What you are saying about the people who work hard to advance spiritually and make little progress is absolutely true - and I think that is a universal problem. For example, you see people trying to learn to play a musical instrument and they practice hard for years but advance little, and get frustrated because they see others making so much more progress. But there's a big difference between liking the idea of having or being something and actually having or being something, and there's actually a shift required to make it from one to the other which a lot of people aren't ready for or capable of making. However much we might consciously want to do something, if the underlying belief system is working in opposition (I don't deserve this/this does not fit who I am/etc) then it's not going to happen and we're just going to keep sabotaging ourselves. So many people spend their lives working hard and struggling to achieve something when what they really need to do is let go of all of that and allow it to come!

Xan
06-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Detlef: ... in my understanding the trigger to awaken comes from Self. It can not happen before the body/mind/spirit system is ready.

This is how I see it too, Detlef.

We can choose to do practices that release our beliefs and emotional patterns which may open our mind and heart.

Although we may be able to 'prepare' for awakening in this way we can't actually choose being awake in whole awareness until we have begun to glimpse it experientially, which comes spontaneously from the true Self.

Xan